ADVERTISEMENT

I'm 58 and admit I did not know what the "R" word was.

Maybe our list of words we can't use could be like this:

1. a-word
2. b-word
3. c-word
24. x-word
25. y-word
26. z-word

Then, anytime a person uses a word we don't like, we can say "Hey, you have to say x-word instead of that," and pick from the list whatever letter the offending word starts with.

Is window licker old/obscure enough for it to no longer be considered a pejorative term?

I'm sure many of you have experienced this one. Back in the day the school special education department was abbreviated as Sp.Ed. Harmless enough, right? Eventually the students in those classes were called "speds" by the mainsteam students. No doubt the school staff used the term first to refer to the program even though they never meant any disrespect to the students. They were simply saying the letters in the abbreviation. That happens all the time with other abbreviations. Anyway, it reached the point where if I or one of my friends did something stupid, the rest of us would give them a hard time and tell them to stop being such a "sped". We were immature teenagers. It would never occur to me to use that term now.

The s-word.

Reactions: 84Lion
OFFICIAL LIST OF WORDS THAT SHOULD NEVER BE USED:

1. n-word
2. r-word
3. c-word

Feel free to add to it.

I'm off on Monday and as my coworker headed out I literally just said to him "see you next Tuesday". Will I be getting a call from HR on Tuesday? Or, since I'm off from the 21st through the first, should I call off the rest of next week so they have to pay me into next year?

I'm off on Monday and as my coworker headed out I literally just said to him "see you next Tuesday". Will I be getting a call from HR on Tuesday? Or, since I'm off from the 21st through the first, should I call off the rest of next week so they have to pay me into next year?

I had a teacher in high school that, at the end of class on the last day before Christmas break would say "See you next year."

I understand how the word can be hurtful.
But the way college educated individuals react to someone using the word is ridiculous. It just shows how good our society has it, that we can be so pissed and vindictive against the person who merely uses a word.
My guess that the word is not a 4 letter word in most households where there are no college graduates trying to prove how compassionate they ae.

I understand how the word can be hurtful.
But the way college educated individuals react to someone using the word is ridiculous. It just shows how good our society has it, that we can be so pissed and vindictive against the person who merely uses a word.
My guess that the word is not a 4 letter word in most households where there are no college graduates trying to prove how compassionate they ae.

One phrase I've heard to describe it is "The Outrage Olympics." It's like there is a competition to see can be the most outraged and self-rightetous.

Well, while we’re on a roll, how about:
Stupid
Fat
Dunce
Moron
Idiot
Jag off
Asshat
Dipshit
Jerk
Dumbass
Spaz
Geek

If we can add phrases, please add "nothing burger" to the list. And some others I'm forgetting at the moment.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

1. n-word
2. r-word
3. c-word

Feel free to add to it.
#3 used to be the 3Rd rail, but the Brits have helped soften its blow. But don’t say it around women or you’re a dead man

Bill Burr has called it the female trump card. No matter how much shit they throw at you, if you just say that all their sins are forgiven

It has been referred to as the R word for at least 10 years now. Get with the times.

1. n-word
2. r-word
3. c-word

Feel free to add to it.

Hmmm....Let me think.

The-Knights-Who-Say-Ni-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591178_1008_566.jpg

Then again - if you don’t want the “n” word thrown in your face (and it is a hurtful word that should never be used), don’t freely use the “r” word.

And for as much atrocities that have been done to people on account of being black/dark-skinned, etc, you can throw in people with intellectual disabilities/special needs. Etc. Throughout the ages, and regardless of their gender, nationality, skin color, etc, they have been abandoned by loved ones, thrown into institutions to rot, abused, debased, sterilized, tortured and killed - and it continues to this day.

So, yeah, how about not making jokes at their expense as they are the least able to defend themselves.

this post sums it up very well. Some of the institutions that people were put in were deplorable and sub-human.

as you stated, people do not like other words, they should not be flippant is using words others might find offensive. And the way he dismissed it as “that’s just how we talk in the hood.” Not an acceptable answer.

this post sums it up very well. Some of the institutions that people were put in were deplorable and sub-human.

as you stated, people do not like other words, they should not be flippant is using words others might find offensive. And the way he dismissed it as “that’s just how we talk in the hood.” Not an acceptable answer.
Your ability to accept his equally valid point of view is niggardly.

I get your general point but the problem is, who deems which words are or are not offensive? It's slippery slope. Before long, I am dictating what you say because if I don't like something you say I can say that it offends me and thus you have to stop saying it.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I get your general point but the problem is, who deems which words are or are not offensive? It's slippery slope. Before long, I am dictating what you say because if I don't like something you say I can say that it offends me and thus you have to stop saying it.
Correct. Who does?

I think his explanation of “well we always said that word” was ridiculous, in the standard that is held to so many others.

It is just ironic that when the rules of the inter sectionals get applied to them , their response of ignorance is supposed to fly. Ha ha , welcome to the club buddy. You made the beds, now you get to sleep in them too.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Maybe instead of lighting their hair on fire when someone uses the word retard, those Moral Outrage Mountain Climbers should actually get off their social media outrage sites, get off their asses, break a sweat, and do some work to try to increase the accessibility to appropriate opportunities for folks with developmental disabilities - - - but that would take actual intelligence and effort, so that Mountain ain’t in any danger of being overrun with the moral outrage assholes.

Just like the c^nt-for-brains idiots who piss themselves over a football team in Washington DC calling themselves the Redskins........ but wouldn’t exert one calorie of effort to improve conditions for Native American folks.

Screw ‘em.

Wow. A whole lot of words to say nothing. Then again, you were the one who dressed me down when I said I did not see PennState making the Rose Bowl, how did that turn out?

I really do not care who uses what name to describe anybody. I just don’t like double standards. The man in question comes from a group that does not like a certain word used. He used a word some find offensive, when it was pointed out to him, he did not apolgize for his ignorance, but rather tried to justify it. That is where the issue lies. He was cut. So it is dine.

I coukdnt care less what the Washington team calls themselves.

I'm glad the "I'm outraged at those who are outraged" crowd won't get upset when someone quietly kneels during the Anthem, or when they're called nazis. What's the big deal, amirite?

Reactions: UncleLar
PC - BS.......I'm 65 and I woudn't have recognize an R word because it obscure to a general population. I don't use it regularly in conversation and as noted above it was used in the past by chidlren as a derogatory comment, in jest or not. Oversensivitity is overtaking normal life.

Anyone see my safe place, I can't find it? We must have been tough to exist in such an insensitive world yet so many of us survived w/o bike helmets, riding in the back of pick up trucks w/o seat belts, etc.
And drinking water out of hose.

It is times like this that we miss George Carlin. Imagine the routine he could have developed regarding non-PC words

A simple rule is- Don't say something on line that would get you punched in the face if you said it in person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT