ADVERTISEMENT

If you could ask a Penn State BOT member anything…..

What are presently doing to reign in uncontrolled spending, especially in the athletic department, across the University. How are you going to keep spending in check going forward.

Reactions: psu1969a
They'd never answer this honestly but I'd love to know the delta on donations after the scandal and also how many season ticket holders initially bailed between 2012 and 2013 (recalling that they had early renewal for 2012 because they knew the train was coming before the rest of us did).

Similarly how many individual donors by raw numbers stopped donating.

What are presently doing to reign in uncontrolled spending, especially in the athletic department, across the University. How are you going to keep spending in check going forward.
Why were you and your cronies so unaware of the 9 figure operating deficit the previous cabal ran up? Where’s the accountability other than layoffs? You all should be tossed out for insubordination. 2011-2012 was horrible. This is malpractice in lieu of what the university has been through most of which was self inflicted.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
When will the BoT investigate how the BoT elections were rigged and stolen by the Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association in the 1990s? When will they investigate how the PMA then took over a very lucrative insurance coverage once they had control of the BoT? When will they investigate and reverse how they illegally changed the bylaws as to how BoT members are chosen….giving the Labor and Industry sub committee full control to pick their own replacements when they retire?

I don’t expect to ever get the chance. Nor would I expect a response. And certainly not any reforms. But that’s what I would ask…..

Last edited:
how do you propose to prevent tuition increases (or even reduce tuition!) and make an education at PSU affordable. Also, what are your plans to improve PSU’s standing academically in commonly used rankings
This ^^^^^. The lack of affordability and significant drops in academic rankings over the years, (as flawed as some may be), are 2 areas they need to immediately reverse.

Though I was against his inclusion on the board, Barry is also obviously focused on the spending.
Sorry, I was speaking for this year's group of candidates. I can take or leave most candidates but will absolutely not vote for the Penn State "Forward" contingent of Moriarity, Kuritzky and Krieger. They are the worst candidates I have seen in years.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don’t know what’s worse, voting for John FetterMoron to be a US Senator, or voting for Jay Paterno to be a Trustee at my alma mater.

Either way this state is as dysfunctional, & radical as I’ve ever seen it in my entire life!

Reactions: WHCANole
Honestly, I don’t know what’s worse, voting for John FetterMoron to be a US Senator, or voting for Jay Paterno to be a Trustee at my alma mater.

Either way this state is as dysfunctional, & radical as I’ve ever seen it in my entire life!
Go look at the platform of the Penn State "Forward" trio? I am generally left of center but good lord. Their entire platform does nothing but increase cost. One of their sub-bullets essentially is the Ivy League model which results in only the wealthy or the poor are able to attend because those that can pay not only have to pay their way but also have to pay the way of those that can't leaving most prospective students high and dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany

What makes Jay Paterno remotely qualified to be on the BOT? The dude would be a total nothing if Joe Paterno was not his father.

The truth is, does it really matter. With 3 votes they basically have no power. From where I sit, things have just gotten progressively worse with each passing year. I barely recognize the place.

Not that they would do anything about it, I'd love to know if PSU will ever be welcoming conservative students back to PSU?

The truth is, does it really matter. With 3 votes they basically have no power. From where I sit, things have just gotten progressively worse with each passing year. I barely recognize the place.

Not that they would do anything about it, I'd love to know if PSU will ever be welcoming conservative students back to PSU?
That deserves a 👍 and a 😿 and a 🤬

Maybe I will enroll again seeking a new Bachelor degree in sociology or something similar. Discuss my conservative viewpoints and record the creations. Should be fun.

When will the BoT investigate how the BoT elections were rigged and stolen by the Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association in the 1990s? When will they investigate how the PMA then took over a very lucrative insurance coverage once they had control of the BoT? When will they investigate and reverse how they illegally changed the bylaws as to how BoT members are chosen….giving the Labor and Industry sub committee full control to pick their own replacements when they retire?

I don’t expect to ever get the chance. Nor would I expect a response. And certainly not any reforms. But that’s what I would ask…..
That is a good start. I would also want to know how much grift they obtain each year as a result of their position on the bot, and if and how they account for it on their income taxes.

Penn State has one of the highest in-state tuitions of any public school in the country. Why is that and what can be and is being done to address it?
Pitt and Temple tuitions are are similarly high. Why? The answer is straightforward- PA is ranked #45 nationally in state funding for higher education. And Penn State gets less funding per student than any other state-related school. PA’s abandonment of higher education means that PSU’s funding model looks increasingly like a private university.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Pitt and Temple tuitions are are similarly high. Why? The answer is straightforward- PA is ranked #45 nationally in state funding for higher education. And Penn State gets less funding per student than any other state-related school. PA’s abandonment of higher education means that PSU’s funding model looks increasingly like a private university.

If-True, so much for the democrats caring about education!

If-True, so much for the democrats caring about education!
Boy are you clueless about PA politics.

The steep decline started when Corbett slashed funding to higher education in 2012. And we were warned of the long term consequences at the time.

The Republicans look control of the PA House in 2010 and held it for 12 years. During Wolf’s 2 terms he proposed increases for state universities each year and the Republicans fought it every time.

The university was ranked 37th by U.S. news in 2014. The latest ratings have us 77th. What’s being done to reverse the slide? Dropping 40 spots in under a decade is embarrassing.
My kid graduated from Lehigh in 2016 and 2017, his twin sister in 2016 from PSU. For a little time their PSU was ranked higher than Lehigh.
The drop is embarrassing.

Boy are you clueless about PA politics.

The steep decline started when Corbett slashed funding to higher education in 2012. And we were warned of the long term consequences at the time.

The Republicans look control of the PA House in 2010 and held it for 12 years. During Wolf’s 2 terms he proposed increases for state universities each year and the Republicans fought it every time.
Again, see Lehigh.

Again, see Lehigh.
Lehigh is a private Episcopal university with a tuition of $57k. It gives no priority to PA students. It’s apples and oranges.

“But my kid got scholarships so it was actually cheaper than Penn State”. Where do these scholarships come from? Endowments built on alumni gifts.

Lehigh has a $2B endowment with 7000 students.

Penn State has a $4B endowment with 90,000 students.

Short answer: if the state or alumni ponied up, we would not be here.

On a per-student basis state funding in PA is around 12th. We have more public colleges than everybody but NY, Cali and TX.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT