ADVERTISEMENT

idiot David Jones ......

Crapboy did an article on best and worst B10 unis....of course he wet oned on Penn State.

This mess he thinks is the best in the Big Ten. And Northwestern's purple nightmare is #2.

101511-spt-umich-vs-msu-mrm-10830b9cdfa0dbdb.jpeg

Reactions: johnmcafee
Sounds like a Captain Obvious article. There is a reason the Patriot-News no longer publishes daily. He is part of the reason.

It really is bizarre. PA is what, the 7th most populous state in the country? And the newspaper that is based in the capital of this state doesn't publish daily? Jonesie is part of their decline.

Jones doesn't have enough talent to get picked up by the big papers or websites. So he has gone the route of lowest common denominator and goes for controversy by bashing PSU any chance he can get. I think he also has some bigotry issues with JFF as there is the occasional undertone of racism in his writings.

Jones doesn't have enough talent to get picked up by the big papers or websites. So he has gone the route of lowest common denominator and goes for controversy by bashing PSU any chance he can get. I think he also has some bigotry issues with JFF as there is the occasional undertone of racism in his writings.

Boy you got that right. I mean how bad is he if even Sara Ganim beat him to the big time...ok snow events for CNN. LOL.
But he's been bashing PSU for years so I doubt it has to do with his inability to find a better job.
He's seems to have had "issues" with every PSU coach, especially Joe.
I have not noticed the "undertones" but then I don't read much of his crap.

Reactions: vslice02 and Bob78

Jones column
Jan 15th, 2016

Michigan, I've always said, has an awful lot in common with Penn State. And James Franklin is, in many ways, PSU's RichRod, a fish not necessarily out of water, just in the wrong pond.

The fans here don't need to be sold the product; they are already willing buyers. They only need to be shown quality. Not necessarily flashy features, just durability and integrity of design.

They don't need empty slogans like "Dominate the State" and "Unrivaled" and all the rest of the conveyor belt of BS that Franklin has delivered to their eyes and ears like the largest Hyundai and Kia dealer in all of the Tri-State Area because James Franklin simply will not be undersold!

No, all they want is the steak. And they are spoiled rotten because they've had great steak for decades.

So, if I had a little advice for Franklin as he enters what looks like a critical third season, without his ace DC and breaking in a new QB, I'd just say: Tone it down some, bud. We get the enthusiasm and that's great. Just be yourself, keep the real part of you whatever that is, stoke your inner coach, teach hard and discard the public sales pitch.

Nobody needs it. And it's not altering your fate anyway. Only the results will.

Boy you got that right. I mean how bad is he if even Sara Ganim beat him to the big time...ok snow events for CNN. LOL.
But he's been bashing PSU for years so I doubt it has to do with his inability to find a better job.
He's seems to have had "issues" with every PSU coach, especially Joe.
I have not noticed the "undertones" but then I don't read much of his crap.

He had a personal (ridiculous) issue with Joe plus he knows that by riling up the PSU fan base, it will draw more attention to his drivel. Nothing more, nothing less. He is literally a joke of a sportswriter.

Yea, but even there you had trolls on here incessantly prior to the last couple of weeks (including going into the UMd game) claiming that the receivers stunk.....couldn't get separation......we were staring at 6-6 records, or worse, for as far as the eye could see....Franklin needs to go.....blah, blah, blah. But this absolute crap was not being posted by "real" PSU fans - it was being posted by "poser trolls".

Reading through this old thread, this reminds me of this popular chestnut: "the Penn State receivers can't get separation". How many times did you hear that repeated last year? Then we LED THE NCAA IN YARDS PER RECEPTION.

How the F do you do that if "your wide receivers can't get any separation"? To lead the NCAA in a category that your critics said you'd stink at. That's pretty defnitive.

Reminds me of Tom Dienhart's writeup about our defensive line prior to the 2015 season, and how we didn't have anyone who would be able to generate any pressure. Called Carl Nassib stiff and not explosive-----> Led the NCAA in sacks.

He gives A$$holes a bad name!

For your Sunday morning listening enjoyment. Davey Boy being wrong about everything. Interview from 1/16/16. Franklin hasn't recruited elite offensive line recruits, when they had Menet, McGovern, Bates coming at the time. Etc.

Someday, hopefully, a local Centre county radio station will buy into the benefit of broadcasting a positive, daily PSU football program. In a sea of critics it would be an instant hit.

Reactions: BBrown

For your Sunday morning listening enjoyment. Davey Boy being wrong about everything. Interview from 1/16/16. Franklin hasn't recruited elite offensive line recruits, when they had Menet, McGovern, Bates coming at the time. Etc.

Going back and forth between 6-6 or 5-7. Total disrespect and hatred[?] of Franklin. Wheels come off. 6-6 Max and that is the best. Holy eff. Eff these guys.

Reactions: Judge Smails

Ranking Big Ten football coaches at the Media Days mic
DAVID JONES

6. James Franklin (Penn State)

I don't know if it was the juxtaposition of being just 15 minutes after the end of the P.J. Fleck Experience or maybe James Franklin is getting a little older. But he actually looked like a normal human with a metabolism in need of coffee at 8:30 a.m. -- just a little bleary. I find that endearing. I don't understand "morning people."

Oh, the affirmative bromides were still there:

"The more days you put together where you have maximized from the time you've got up to the time you've gone to bed, as an individual and as a group and as an organization, then you have a chance to be successful."

But the manic energy was just clicked down a couple of notches. Compare the 2017 Franklin with the 2014 Franklin and there's quite a bit of difference. That's not a bad thing.

Of course, when you've won a Big Ten championship and aren't simply known as the guy who won nine games two different years at Vanderbilt, your words hold a certain gravitas they didn't before. Franklin can afford to be a little more sedate and dignified in his presentation with a resumé to back it up. Maybe he wasn’t sleepy. Maybe he’s just calmer from success and security.

Reactions: denniskembala

Ranking Big Ten football coaches at the Media Days mic
DAVID JONES

6. James Franklin (Penn State)

I don't know if it was the juxtaposition of being just 15 minutes after the end of the P.J. Fleck Experience or maybe James Franklin is getting a little older. But he actually looked like a normal human with a metabolism in need of coffee at 8:30 a.m. -- just a little bleary. I find that endearing. I don't understand "morning people."

Oh, the affirmative bromides were still there:

"The more days you put together where you have maximized from the time you've got up to the time you've gone to bed, as an individual and as a group and as an organization, then you have a chance to be successful."

But the manic energy was just clicked down a couple of notches. Compare the 2017 Franklin with the 2014 Franklin and there's quite a bit of difference. That's not a bad thing.

Of course, when you've won a Big Ten championship and aren't simply known as the guy who won nine games two different years at Vanderbilt, your words hold a certain gravitas they didn't before. Franklin can afford to be a little more sedate and dignified in his presentation with a resumé to back it up. Maybe he wasn’t sleepy. Maybe he’s just calmer from success and security.

Imagine if he has 30 + years of success - JFF will appear to be comatose to these types of guys.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ha-ha

Trolling is the only thing pathetic little davey jones the lose in life has left.

Maybe my favorite thing if Penn State manages to win a national title this year is watching tiny David Jones (he's short, so always put "tiny" in front of his name like he's done to McSorley) have to try to spin it negatively for the next year.

If only Penn State had listened to him and hired Mike Munchak!

Last edited:
Just to keep the record updated....

Let's revisit Dave Jones' column when Shoop left:

I think that's what's going on with Bob Shoop and his move to Tennessee. He knows head coach Butch Jones' job at Tennessee is probably quite a bit less tenuous than that of James Franklin at Penn State.

On the surface, the situations at UT and PSU might not look too different to Penn State fans. Jones is entering his fourth season this fall with a 21-17 record over three making $4.1 million annually at a place where that doesn't cut it. Franklin is making a smidge more with a 14-12 mark, an almost identical winning percentage entering his third. But Jones' line graph is rising - 5-7 his first year to 9-4 his third. Franklin's is flat.

And I don't think UT will show Jones the door if he goes, say 7-6 in 2016. I would not make the same prediction with Franklin.

And so Shoop surveyed this landscape and decided his chances of success and security and longevity were greater with Jones.

Still, this can only be interpreted as an indictment of Franklin in Shoop's eyes. And those eyes are pretty perceptive.

If one of the best defensive coordinators in the game doesn't think Franklin can get it done, then what are his chances with a lesser coordinator?

Jones also is a more proven winner than Franklin. He has been a head coach longer (nine seasons to five) and has never failed to leave a program in better shape than he found it, whether at Central Michigan or Cincinnati or now.

Finally, Shoop has the material coming this fall at Tennessee that he would not have at Penn State. The Nittany Lion defense will be in rebuilding mode at the same time Franklin and his new coordinator are trying to pick a new starting quarterback - any of whom will be a raw rookie, even Trace McSorley.

So, it's all about security. I think Jones has it. I don't think Franklin does.

Let's revisit his predictions for last year's 11-3 big ten champ Penn State team- (from Pennlive)-

PENN STATE FOOTBALL

Penn State 2016 predictions: Can Lions surpass 7 wins in James Franklin's third season?
Updated January 13, 2016
Posted January 13, 2016

5shares
98 Comment
-16be480c0aff43f5.jpg

Penn State head coach James Franklin questions a call during the fourth quarter. Penn State lost to Georgia, 24-17 in the TaxSlayer Bowl at EverBank Field on Jan. 2, 2016. Joe Hermitt, PennLive

kent-statejpg-013149876c3302cf.jpg

Kent State
Penn State opens its 2016 schedule on Sept. 3 when Kent State comes to town. The Golden Flashes are experienced on both lines but young at practically every other position. They should be better than their 3-9 2015 mark, but not improved enough to topple the Lions on the road.

PSU Prediction

Bob Flounders: Win

David Jones: Win

Greg Pickel: Win

Greg Pickel | gpickel@pennlive.com
pittsburghjpg-dbc3d03ba1982b34.jpg

Pittsburgh
The most anticipated game on the Lions' non-conference schedule comes Sept. 10 when a four year series with Pittsburgh reignites what has been a dormant rivalry between the two programs. Pittsburgh loses star Tyler Boyd and has a new offensive coordinator of its own in Matt Canada. It should be an outstanding early test for both sides that will offer a hint at where their respective seasons are heading.

PSU Predictions:

Bob Flounders: Loss

David Jones: Loss

templejpg-3d6bb1ca9c19c066.jpg

Temple
The Owls were dominating in their 2015 win over Franklin's Lions at Lincoln Financial Field, but will that happen again? Matt Rhule is back on the sidelines but he loses three starting offensive linemen, star LB Tyler Matekevich, and some other key contributors. And he has to travel to Beaver Stadium to earn a victory.

PSU Prediction:

michiganjpg-058d85e5010fd013.jpg

2'!
After Temple comes to town, Penn State will head back on the road for Franklin's second trip to Ann Arbor as the leader of the Lions. The first one resulted in a loss, and Michigan returns tons of talent from the team that came into Beaver Stadium and beat the Lions 28-16. A big step forward will be needed to snare a victory, and there'd probably be a better chance for it if the game fell later in the year.

PSU Predictions:

Greg Pickel: Loss

minnesotajpg-a81b74c9773ebf80.jpg

Minnesota
Minnesota will have some holes to fill in 2015, but it returns top rusher Sammy Brooks, 2,000-plus yard pass Mitch Leidner, and three of its top four tacklers on defense. The Golden Gophers and Lions both have a chance to step forward from their 2015 records (Minnesota was 6-7), and this was is about as close to a toss-up as possible this far away from kickoff.

PSU Predictions:

print-bbce9afd40239e92.jpg

Maryland
Penn State's trip to Maryland in 2015 equaled one of the most exciting games for the Lions last year, as it aveneged a 2014 loss to the Terps at Beaver Stadium. New head coach D.J. Durkin should turn around a Maryland defense that finished 2015 at No. 90 in the country in a hurry. If he can fix the offense, this Big Ten East foe can improve quickly.

PSU Predictions:

ohio-statejpg-479aff5e7fa65e54.jpg

Ohio State
The last time Urban Meyer brought his Buckeyes to Beaver Stadium, Penn State nearly pulled off a dramatic overtime upset. Instead, they fell short, and 2015's matchup in Columbus showed how far apart the two programs are. OSU will be loaded again, and despite the homefield edge, PSU is still a year or so away from being at a point where it can be counted on to win games like this.

PSU Prediction:

print-5102ededfea67cb5.jpg

Purdue
There has been little for Purdue fans to get excited about during the Darrell Hazell era in West Layfayette, and one would be hard pressed to think 2016 will be any different. There's some talent back from last season's 2-10 team, but it's still a team that features young players across the board. PSU would have to be looking ahead to Iowa, or have a rash of injuries, to have a chance to drop this one.

PSU Predictions:

iowajpg-8d96cefc262baa1c.jpg

Iowa
The 2015 Big Ten west champion Hawkeyes will be back to defend their crown in 2016, but they lose 21 seniors. Roughly 15 starters will be back, though, and top college football corner Desmond King is planning to return. Iowa will have to retool its line, and if it does, putting up another big year is certainly doable.

PSU Predictions:

indianajpg-2207aba02b85448f.jpg

Indiana
The Hoosiers faced Penn State without two of their biggest offensive threats in quarterback Nate Sudfeld and running back Jordan Howard. That was because of injury, but neither will face the Lions this year because the former gradauted and the latter declared for the NFL Draft. Head coach Kevin Wilson just picked up a six year extension, but there's no guarantee even that amount of time will help him fix one of the Big Ten's worst defenses (No. 120 out of 127) in 2016. But will that stop Penn State's struggles on the road in Big Ten play, espeically in November?

PSU Predictions:

rutgersjpg-8b6ca3790519c7b0.jpg

Rutgers
Former Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash is the new leader of the Scarlet Knights' program, and this game falls at the end of the season for the first time in three years. The makeup of both programs should be plenty evident by then, and RU played PSU until the end at home in 2014 before losing by plenty this year with an interim head coach and a number of missing starters. Next year can be different in Piscataway, but enough so to knock off the Lions?

PSU Predictions:

michigan-statejpg-b78f91be1df026af.jpg

Michigan State
A beatdown at the hand of the Spartans mercifully ended Penn State's 2015 regular season, and offensive coordinator John Donovan's dismissal followed a day later. Head man Mark Dantonio has a fair amount of talent to replace, including QB Connor Cook and 13 starters total on offense and defense, but this program just keeps reloading.

PSU Predictions:

-6151fdfc7ba793bd.jpg

Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead answers a question during a press conference introducing him at Beaver Stadium on Dec. 16, 2015. Joe Hermitt, PennLive

PennLive Early PSU Predictions
Penn State Early 2016 record predictions:

Bob Flounders: 5-7 (3-6 Big Ten)

David Jones: 6-6 (4-5)

Greg Pickel: 7-5 (4-5)

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/01/penn_state_2016_predictions_ca.html

Let's not forget these are the "experts" that cover the team. :rolleyes:

Dave finding negativity where he can this week....aren't the game times completely controlled by the networks and the Big Ten now? I don't think Penn State has a say in when the game is played.

We now approach the single most pointless game I believe I have ever covered in 27 years on the Penn State football beat. This is really where the competition is obliterated by the business.

It's not just a guarantee game where a rich program pays off a poor one like a john slipping a few bills to a hooker for a service. It's not just a game against a team from a league that clearly can't compete on any regular basis with the Big Ten.

It's not merely a team from the bottom tier of one of those leagues. And it's not just one of those teams but also one from 800 miles away.

It's all of those things. And it's at night. In the third week of the season.

It's rational that maybe a program like Minnesota will play Middle Tennessee on Saturday. But does Penn State really need to not only play this school but do it at night? And yes, I understand that PSU is the BTN's nighttime product here.

Dave finding negativity where he can this week....aren't the game times completely controlled by the networks and the Big Ten now? I don't think Penn State has a say in when the game is played.

We now approach the single most pointless game I believe I have ever covered in 27 years on the Penn State football beat. This is really where the competition is obliterated by the business.

It's not just a guarantee game where a rich program pays off a poor one like a john slipping a few bills to a hooker for a service. It's not just a game against a team from a league that clearly can't compete on any regular basis with the Big Ten.

It's not merely a team from the bottom tier of one of those leagues. And it's not just one of those teams but also one from 800 miles away.

It's rational that maybe a program like Minnesota will play Middle Tennessee on Saturday. But does Penn State really need to not only play this school but do it at night? And yes, I understand that PSU is the BTN's nighttime product here.
He's got a point, though. This time.

He's just personally pissed because a night game means he probably needs to spend the night in State College instead of getting home after he files his column.

But in this case I agree with him. Night games for weak preseason opponents make no sense for for players, fans - for everybody except the B1G network. They do it because the B1G network's TV contract requires a certain number of night games.

So an extra couple of hundred thousand dollars comes to PSU from the TV contract -- but is that worth basically preventing fans from day-tripping up for this game?

I'd come up for games like this in the past, but now it's out of the question because I don't want to spend upwards of $1500 to have a bed in state college, I don't own a motor home, and I can't drive back at midnight and get home at 3 a.m. without danger of falling asleep at the wheel.

So I'll watch on TV. You will see a lot of empty seats on Sat. simply because it's a night game.

this game was agreed to in 2014, and Franklin and (then) head coach Trent Miles are friends. Miles was let go at the end of last season. Ga State actually made it to a Bowl Game in 2015.

with all that said, let's do a little math:

Joe hated idiots.
Joe hated Jones.
Franklin hates idiots.
Franklin hates Jones.

therefore Jones is . . .

Didn't read the article, but did it miss info that helps to put it into context?

Georgia State is in a recruiting hotbed area.
PSU coaches appeared at their camp, to create recruiting contacts in a great recruiting area.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state-penn-state-camp-together/b4ETAIxPpjqRg8AhXvxd1H/

Georgia State, Penn State to do camp together

Michael Carver
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
6:24 p.m Monday, May 5, 2014
Sports

Georgia State and Penn State have formed a unique partnership in the pursuit of football recruiting.

Incoming Penn State James Franklin and his staff will work as guest coaches for the Trent Miles Football Camp at Georgia State on June 10.

The arrangement appears a win-win for both programs. Penn State gets to evaluate high school players who would never travel to its camps in Pennsylvania while Georgia State gets exposure to more high-profile recruits than usual.

“The way the rules are set up, you’re not allowed to have any camp outside of your state, unless you’re on the border and within a 50-mile radius. And a lot of people recruit in Atlanta,” Miles said. “But you can legally work somebody else’s camp.

“So it’s beneficial to both parties where Penn State can come down here, work our camp and get to see the kids that they’re recruiting. And it benefits us by the amount of kids that are coming.”

It’s common for colleges to permit smaller college staffs to attend their camps for evaluations. For example, Georgia State routinely grants access to schools such as LaGrange College and Clark Atlanta University.

However, it’s rare — maybe unprecedented — for colleges to invite a coach from a bigger program, even if he steals attention from the host school.

While Georgia State and Penn State are both FBS-level programs, Miles said he’s fine with the situation due to recruiting benefits.

“I don’t worry about being overshadowed by anybody. That’s just not a concern,” he said. “(Franklin’s) ego is not that way and my ego is not that way. We’re not going to recruit the same person, you know? There’s no way. The Sun Belt doesn’t recruit against Penn State. Let’s face it: I’m not competing for kids against Penn State or Georgia and Alabama. I’m just not. Nor will we ever.”

Penn State has signed one Georgia player in each of its last three recruiting classes, but the Nittany Lions have never had sustained success in the state. That could change under Franklin. Over the last three seasons at Vanderbilt, he signed 13 players from Georgia.

The camp costs $50 per player and will be held at the GSU practice complex. Miles will have nine one-day camps in June, including trips to Dalton, Columbus, Macon and Camden County.

“I want to get out around the state to see as many kids from different parts of the state as I possibly can,” Miles said. “It makes it a lot easier for kids. Rather than kids from Camden County driving all the way up here, I’d rather go down there and take it to them.

“I’d rather take our show to people. It’s a chance to save the kids some gas money and at the same time, get us out to be able to evaluate them.”

this game was agreed to in 2014, and Franklin and (then) head coach Trent Miles are friends. Miles was let go at the end of last season. Ga State actually made it to a Bowl Game in 2015.

with all that said, let's do a little math:

Joe hated idiots.
Joe hated Jones.
Franklin hates idiots.
Franklin hates Jones.

therefore Jones is . . .

Well said. No doubt part of a quid pro quo necessary to help gain access to a fertile recruiting area. Jesus, look at 2019. Last I checked, at this late date we've only offered a handful of PA kids. Less than 5, right now, probably (someone will check). If Franklin gave Georgia State a game in return (basically) for access to do camps with them in Georgia....seems like a pretty good trade. Every team, including Joe's teams, has body bag games.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
has an "article" on Pennlive the title of which tells all -"Joe Moorhead's offense could exploit Saquon Barkley if Penn State can find a quarterback and linemen". REALLY???? What a "scoop". How does he have a job?

No, I have not read the article, I do not read his "crap".

Why you guys continue to read this guys columns is beyond me. All of you need to tune him out meaning don't read or clink link to his articles.

Well said. No doubt part of a quid pro quo necessary to help gain access to a fertile recruiting area. Jesus, look at 2019. Last I checked, at this late date we've only offered a handful of PA kids. Less than 5, right now, probably (someone will check). If Franklin gave Georgia State a game in return (basically) for access to do camps with them in Georgia....seems like a pretty good trade. Every team, including Joe's teams, has body bag games.

they get $1.2 million to help a young FBS team in the Sun Belt

we get access to a fertile recruiting region, a nice "tune up" night game, and playing under the lights is a special experience for these football players.

Why you guys continue to read this guys columns is beyond me. All of you need to tune him out meaning don't read or clink link to his articles.

Why do you open a thread titled "idiot David Jones" if you don't want to read about people talking about what an idiot David Jones is? If you want to tune it out, don't open a thread clearly labeled to contain that information.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT