ADVERTISEMENT

idiot David Jones ......

I don't make game or season predictions. I am, was, and will always be a fan of Franklin's work ethic, integrity, recruiting ability and judgment. Based on the talent we've recruited and how young the team is I figured that things would come together sooner or later. As I posted a couple of days ago, our main problem was the youth along the LOS on both sides of the ball. The critics ignored just how good those players were going to be when they figured things out.

Patting myself on the back isn't my style, but I don't think you can name many posters who have been a bigger defender of Franklin on this board.

Nope. Correct there. You have been in Franklins' corner from day one. I give credit where credit is due.

Jones also used a poster on these message boards as one of his sources related to psu football.

On a side note jones appears very juvenile in his behavior and also comes across as a dork.

and that poster played Davey like Niccolo Paganini playing a stradavarius, it was epic.
LOL.

Another bump worthy thread.

Jones, April 9th, 2016

".....do the best they can with West Coast-style pass plays that don't overly tax the popgun arm of likely starter Trace McSorley. Whether McSorley can read defenses correctly, take shots at the right time without being fooled and then get the ball downfield well enough to keep safeties out of the box are all major questions. Suddenly, Christian Hackenberg's rifle will not be there to keep them honest. If defenses don't respect McSorley or Tommy Stevens, it'll mean more traffic for Barkley to negotiate."

Trace McSorley's yards per completion now leads FBS

McSorley now has lifted his yards-per-completion figure to 15.93 to tops among the 128-team Football Bowl Subdivision, ahead of even Louisville's prohibitive Heisman favorite Lamar Jackson (15.73), the runner-up in the category.

At
Another bump worthy thread.

Jones, April 9th, 2016

".....do the best they can with West Coast-style pass plays that don't overly tax the popgun arm of likely starter Trace McSorley. Whether McSorley can read defenses correctly, take shots at the right time without being fooled and then get the ball downfield well enough to keep safeties out of the box are all major questions. Suddenly, Christian Hackenberg's rifle will not be there to keep them honest. If defenses don't respect McSorley or Tommy Stevens, it'll mean more traffic for Barkley to negotiate."

Trace McSorley's yards per completion now leads FBS

McSorley now has lifted his yards-per-completion figure to 15.93 to tops among the 128-team Football Bowl Subdivision, ahead of even Louisville's prohibitive Heisman favorite Lamar Jackson (15.73), the runner-up in the category.
At least he is a consistent idiot. God I hope he picks us to lose on Saturday so I can double down on my bet.

At

At least he is a consistent idiot. God I hope he picks us to lose on Saturday so I can double down on my bet.

Definitely want to see more of the negative nonsense from Jones, ESPN, etc so players can use it as motivation. At the end of the day- the Jones like commentators are just helping Penn State. ;)

Definitely want to see more of the negative nonsense from Jones, ESPN, etc so players can use it as motivation. At the end of the day- the Jones like commentators are just helping Penn State. ;)

Yes, without Hackenberg's rifle arm, Penn State is averaging 50% more points per game compared to last year. We're really hurting.

Of course, the additions of Limegrover and Moorhead, and the maturation of the line were big factors as well. But Davey Dickbag takes the most negative route available.

Another chapter.

Jones today. Of course he thinks Michigan would get in to CFP even if we beat Wisconsin. Michigan with two conference losses, and we'd have an additional win and be Big Ten East Division and overall champs.

Michigan may be ahead of us tonight, but we would move ahead after we beat Wisconsin.

"In my opinion, for PSU to make the CFP, both the Huskies and Tigers must lose on Saturday. Because I don't believe Penn State is passing likely No. 5 Michigan in any case - not with that 49-10 black eye in Ann Arbor on the ledger. PSU and Michigan are two tightly bunched teams and that head-to-head is a tiebreaker. We will see where the committee places the Wolverines on Tuesday night. But that's how I see it."

Another chapter.

Jones today. Of course he thinks Michigan would get in to CFP even if we beat Wisconsin. Michigan with two conference losses, and we'd have an additional win and be Big Ten East Division and overall champs.

Michigan may be ahead of us tonight, but we would move ahead after we beat Wisconsin.

"In my opinion, for PSU to make the CFP, both the Huskies and Tigers must lose on Saturday. Because I don't believe Penn State is passing likely No. 5 Michigan in any case - not with that 49-10 black eye in Ann Arbor on the ledger. PSU and Michigan are two tightly bunched teams and that head-to-head is a tiebreaker. We will see where the committee places the Wolverines on Tuesday night. But that's how I see it."

For me, this isn't even about PSU. But if Michigan makes it in, having lost 2 of its last 3 games and its one win coming in unimpressive fashion at home and finishing 3rd in its division, then just blow up the whole system, because it's a joke.

When Penn State was 2-2, Iowa was still ranked ( despite loss to NDSU) and beat Rutgers. MSU had just suffered first loss to Wisconsin and was #8. 7-5/6-6 might have been a realistic. Minny was unbeaten and that's when the ship started to right itself and we got some momentum

Trace DOES have a pop gun arm, HOWEVER, so did Zach Mills, and in my view, Trace can be for this offense, what Zach was to that offense. This offense does not require a big arm, it requires a skill set EXACTLY like McSorely has: Great elusiveness in the pocket, the ability to keep plays alive, the ability to move the chains with short throws and runs, and the occasional shot over the top on deep in's and out's.

Well well well, from April 6th, and all positive on McSorley.

Nice kick in the face for my little hater group headquartered in Park Forest. LMAO.

Time for a bump.

You know what, it was a bowl game that meant the difference between a #3 season ending ranking and probably a #5 season ending ranking. It didn't cost us the MNC. It didn't cost us the conference title. We played well, it was a competitive, exciting game. We go into the offseason with all the momentum in the world, ranked #1 in recruiting right now for the 2018 season. I am not bitter in the least. Exciting time to be a Penn State fan.

Jones tries to throw some poison into the feel good season ending...

A Rose Bowl for the ages can only spawn bitter memories for Trace McSorley and Penn State

PASADENA, Calif. - It was an awful long time to wait just to have your heart broken.

The college football nation will remember this game as a marathon of thrills. It was a Bruce Springsteen concert from the 1970s. It was a free four hours in an amusement park.

But for the Penn State Nittany Lions, it can't be appreciated that way. It can only be recalled with the accompaniment of regret. And that's the greatest pain of all for a competitive athlete.

It makes the Lions' 52-49 loss, decided on the last play, all the more agonizing not just because of the result but because of the mind's echoes to come. Ask any player who's ever lost a game this memorable and they'll tell you the curse is in the memory.

That's how it will be for Trace McSorley.

As others had long since stripped their pads off and slowly unspooled the tape from their limbs, the little quarterback just sat there in a chair by the doorway to the locker room and stared. Teammates came by and rubbed his head or tapped his grass-stained pads.

I agree. Although I personally like Dave, I thought the article harped too much on disappointment and was too reactionary toward the side of the fan base that dislikes him. He's better than that.

Time for a bump.

You know what, it was a bowl game that meant the difference between a #3 season ending ranking and probably a #5 season ending ranking. It didn't cost us the MNC. It didn't cost us the conference title. We played well, it was a competitive, exciting game. We go into the offseason with all the momentum in the world, ranked #1 in recruiting right now for the 2018 season. I am not bitter in the least. Exciting time to be a Penn State fan.

A Rose Bowl for the ages can only spawn bitter memories for Trace McSorley and Penn State

PASADENA, Calif. - It was an awful long time to wait just to have your heart broken.

The college football nation will remember this game as a marathon of thrills. It was a Bruce Springsteen concert from the 1970s. It was a free four hours in an amusement park.

But for the Penn State Nittany Lions, it can't be appreciated that way. It can only be recalled with the accompaniment of regret. And that's the greatest pain of all for a competitive athlete.

It makes the Lions' 52-49 loss, decided on the last play, all the more agonizing not just because of the result but because of the mind's echoes to come. Ask any player who's ever lost a game this memorable and they'll tell you the curse is in the memory.

As others had long since stripped their pads off and slowly unspooled the tape from their limbs, the little quarterback just sat there in a chair by the doorway to the locker room and stared. Teammates came by and rubbed his head or tapped his grass-stained pads.

Full of shit, writes like shit. Eat a bag DJ...you can't f*ck this up for us.

2751131-donsmile.gif

I know I am a broken record on this, but IGNORE HIM. Do not read, do not click, do not let him get any reaction from you. They hired someone, Pickel, who actually likes Penn State. Give him your support and ignore DJ. It is the only way to treat small people and the only way the Patriot might ever let him go. If a heel gets no heat he has nothing.

I'm shocked he admits we have competitive athletes. Get going on that pre-season 4-8 prediction, DJ. Spring will be here before you know it.

Time for a bump.

Written like a prick who's been waiting and chafing for 3 months to be able to write a negative article about the team. A team that proved him and his predictions wrong over and over for 9 games. It sounds like he expects (hopes) half the team will jump off a bridge and the other half with become addicted to opioids. Jones really needs to GFH at this point.

I'm shocked he admits we have competitive athletes. Get going on that pre-season 4-8 prediction, DJ. Spring will be here before you know it.

He's already working on his "this success will be hard to repeat" theme. We just caught lightning in a bottle this year, right? Nothing to do with the young, very talented players that litter this roster. With more on the way.

Suck it, Davey Boy.

I agree. Although I personally like Dave, I thought the article harped too much on disappointment and was too reactionary toward the side of the fan base that dislikes him. He's better than that.
No he's not. I've seen far to much of his smarmy, smirking, sarcastic act toward Penn State, on Philly Sports Talk on Comcast. He's a prick.

There is something deeply, fundamentally broken deep inside David Jones. He can't wait to put the worst spin on damn near everything, and he consistently underestimates Penn State, even when they prove him wrong time and again. He can't wait to write a negative article about the team full of snide comments (the little quarterback) and I swear he does it because he thinks that maybe he can damage the program, if even just a little, by being so negative.

Is Jones interested in covering a team and writing interesting stories about that team, or is he more in it for the schradenfreud? I swear I can see it now: USC makes the field goal and he immediately jumps behind his keyboard, buggy eyes gleaming, a grin splayed across his face, and starts typing away about the pain, torment, and grief that will haunt these players forever...instead of talking about a season that NO ONE could have imagined. A season where a team that many thought would be down and out for upwards of a decade due to the sanctions won the Big Ten East, The Big Ten Championship, beat the number 2 and 7 ranked teams in the country and should have won the Rose Bowl - hell, they should have been in the CFP.

Anyway, that that article is what Jones chose to write after that season tells you ALL you need to know about him.

There is something deeply, fundamentally broken deep inside David Jones. He can't wait to put the worst spin on damn near everything, and he consistently underestimates Penn State, even when they prove him wrong time and again. He can't wait to write a negative article about the team full of snide comments (the little quarterback) and I swear he does it because he thinks that maybe he can damage the program, if even just a little, by being so negative.

It's very simple. He is a Ohio State grad and (admitted) fan who has been given a position to comment on and write articles about Penn State. His motivation is crystal clear if you just look at it through that lens.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
No, he's not

And you may be the only one who feels he is........which kinda' says something :)

1h3976.jpg
Actually Mark Brennan and Dave are good friends. Which says EVERYTHING about you, freak.

Now, go stalk some more people, but do better legwork, lmao.

Time for a bump.

Five will get you ten this small, insignificant man will take a DWI arrest in 2017.

Reactions: Judge Smails
It's very simple. He is a Ohio State grad and (admitted) fan who has been given a position to comment on and write articles about Penn State. His motivation is crystal clear if you just look at it through that lens.

Consider the Heisman voters include guys like Jones, Dennis Dodd, Skip Bayless, Dan Bernstein, Rece Davis, Finebaum, Desmond Howard...good effin' luck.

Actually Mark Brennan and Dave are good friends. Which says EVERYTHING about you, freak.

Now, go stalk some more people, but do better legwork, lmao.
Well, if your memory isn't failing, you may recall that:

Jesus still thinks you're a Douchebag
So....that kinda' "says everything" about You

:)

He's already working on his "this success will be hard to repeat" theme. We just caught lightning in a bottle this year, right? Nothing to do with the young, very talented players that litter this roster. With more on the way.

Suck it, Davey Boy.
More like "last year was a fluke that will never happen again."

Dave adds to his idiot legacy in today's column. "He recruited the players who committed the rape." Oh ffs. He's supposed to have some sort of special powers to see into the future and predict crimes beforehand? That's some stupid shit. Maybe Dave should talk about how Urban Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez.

It's fair to say Penn State's image will forever bear the stain of the horrors endured by Sandusky's victims. That is as it should be.

Again, there were severe doubters. Franklin had some baggage including a lurid and, at the time, ongoing rape scandal in which four of his recent Vanderbilt recruits were involved. There were also some comments out there made on Clay Travis' local Nashville radio show a year prior that suggested Franklin judged his assistant coaching candidates by how their wives or girlfriends looked. That bothered some people.

But, especially in light of Sandusky, it was the rape case that unsettled many, myself included.

Joyner said he and university investigators vetted the case thoroughly and that he believed Franklin acted quickly and appropriately in every fashion:

"We had extreme due diligence on that. And we knew how James reacted in an extreme crisis situation. He had a very serious crisis he had to navigate. And he dealt with it very well."

But he recruited the players who committed the rape. That didn't give Joyner some trepidation?

"Not really. Because sometimes, you just don't know a hundred percent when you recruit somebody.

"There were personal connections I found out I had with him that I didn't know when we started our search. And they all told me what a fine person he was."

"They were winning at Vanderbilt where they never had. Plus, he was improving the academic performance there every year at the same time they were winning."

Reactions: TheGLOV
Dave adds to his idiot legacy in today's column. "He recruited the players who committed the rape." Oh ffs. He's supposed to have some sort of special powers to see into the future and predict crimes beforehand? That's some stupid shit. Maybe Dave should talk about how Urban Meyer recruited Aaron Hernandez.

It's fair to say Penn State's image will forever bear the stain of the horrors endured by Sandusky's victims. That is as it should be.

Again, there were severe doubters. Franklin had some baggage including a lurid and, at the time, ongoing rape scandal in which four of his recent Vanderbilt recruits were involved. There were also some comments out there made on Clay Travis' local Nashville radio show a year prior that suggested Franklin judged his assistant coaching candidates by how their wives or girlfriends looked. That bothered some people.

But, especially in light of Sandusky, it was the rape case that unsettled many, myself included.

Joyner said he and university investigators vetted the case thoroughly and that he believed Franklin acted quickly and appropriately in every fashion:

"We had extreme due diligence on that. And we knew how James reacted in an extreme crisis situation. He had a very serious crisis he had to navigate. And he dealt with it very well."

But he recruited the players who committed the rape. That didn't give Joyner some trepidation?

"Not really. Because sometimes, you just don't know a hundred percent when you recruit somebody.

"There were personal connections I found out I had with him that I didn't know when we started our search. And they all told me what a fine person he was."

"They were winning at Vanderbilt where they never had. Plus, he was improving the academic performance there every year at the same time they were winning."

When I Google Dave Jones, I come up with a grease spot and this double wide.

Did you see the comments on that piece of crap article? Those people are ready to nominate Joyner for a Nobel Prize. He's still scrubbing the blood off of his hands and the hiring of a coach is not going to make me ever forget what he did.

The coaches of many sports at PSU absolutely LOATHED Joyner. Had some unsavory personal characteristics, to say the least. Of course Jones would love him.

Reactions: Bob78 and TheGLOV
That's the thing about Jones that makes him a troll. If he really thought McSorley couldn't throw, there are better ways to say so that don't include "popgun arm." That's inflammatory troll talk and it's all he knows. Being shown to be wrong will do nothing to change anything, either. When Penn State wins, Jones looks like he wants to vomit. Makes this year that much more enjoyable.

It's click bait. And let's face it TM is not a true QB. If he was then he'd be slated for the NFL draft. Also, until our offensive line run blocks like Wisconsin I won't be satisfied. That Lime Grower fella had best produce or he can get on out!

I wanted to bump this old thread because this talking point, here exhibited (of course) by Dave Jones, was so annoying to me in the offseason.

From Jones' April article:

But Barkley is, without question, good enough where he could be excused for some swagger. I just wish we could see him play with an offense that maximized his talent. And there are many qualifiers and hypotheticals impeding that reality when the 2016 begins. The Nittany Lions will run a lot of inside-zone run game and do the best they can with West Coast-style pass plays that don't overly tax the popgun arm of likely starterTrace McSorley.

The problem, of course, is twofold: First, can Moorhead and new OL coach Matt Limegrover find one tackle and guard combination they can count on to keep hats on hats while Barkley does his stuff. Second, can the tiny McSorley maintain his health while running 8-12 times a game himself? He can be effective running read-option. But can he keep from getting freight trained and hurt?

Whether McSorley can read defenses correctly, take shots at the right time without being fooled and then get the ball downfield well enough to keep safeties out of the box are all major questions. Suddenly, Christian Hackenberg's rifle will not be there to keep them honest. If defenses don't respect McSorley or Tommy Stevens, it'll mean more traffic for Barkley to negotiate.

And here is an analytics look at Penn State's offense this year...

Penn State's offense: Part of that comes from their apparent growth this season. From 73% and 57% S&P+ performances in the first two weeks to 95% and 93% performances in the last two weeks, the Nittany Lions have shown incredible progress since the beginning of the season.

The two big things that Penn State's offense has going for it: Saquon Barkley and Trace McSorley's explosiveness. If you look at their explosive plays, you'll see the same trend: their 113th in 10+ yard plays, but 18th in the number of 40+ yard plays, and 13th in 50+ yard plays.

Penn State's big plays come far more often than average on passing downs rather than standard downs. The Nittany Lions are second in the country in passing downs IsoPPP. They aren't efficient still -- with successful plays on under a third of their passing downs attempts -- but their successful plays are often very explosive on passing downs. That's how Trace McSorley's developed a gunslinger reputation.

And ESPN called McSorley the best QB in the Big Ten at throwing long passes a few weeks ago.

Who throws the best deep ball (20-plus yards in the air)?

Highest QBR: Penn State QB Trace McSorley (97.2)

Only seven Power 5 quarterbacks have attempted more deep balls than McSorley, as he’s gone 13-of-33 for 600 yards, four TDs and two picks on passes that traveled at least 20 yards in the air. It’s also important to note that his 39.4 percent completion rate may seem low, but it’s still higher than the Power 5 average of 34.4 percent. Somewhat ironically, McSorley didn’t have a reputation for a big arm. His predecessor, Christian Hackenberg, did. But Hackenberg finished the 2015 season with an 89.7 QBR on such passes and a 33.9 percent completion rate.

Of course Jones led the charge about "tiny" McSorley's "pop gun arm" and how the PSU offense would suffer without Hack's strong arm to put the fear of God in them (2016 33.6 points per game; 2015 23.2 points per game).

As usual, David Jones is dumb and wrong.

Alright then. Let's see if TM is drafted as a QB! There's the truth teller, feller.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT