ADVERTISEMENT

idiot David Jones ......

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
has an "article" on Pennlive the title of which tells all -"Joe Moorhead's offense could exploit Saquon Barkley if Penn State can find a quarterback and linemen". REALLY???? What a "scoop". How does he have a job?

No, I have not read the article, I do not read his "crap".

has an "article" on Pennlive the title of which tells all -"Joe Moorhead's offense could exploit Saquon Barkley if Penn State can find a quarterback and linemen". REALLY???? What a "scoop". How does he have a job?

He has it all wrong. It is the NCAA's job to exploit student athletes, not Joe Moorhead nor other student athletes.

Why? Cause he's an OSU grad covering PSU football? You think a PSU grad shouldn't be allowed to cover OSU football? Every sports writer should be a homer, right?

Why? Cause he's an OSU grad covering PSU football? You think a PSU grad shouldn't be allowed to cover OSU football? Every sports writer should be a homer, right?

His next article will cover the PITT game. In it he goes out on limb and "predicts" that the team that scores the most points will win the game.

Do you get my point ????

Jones also took a cheap shot at Trace McSorley IMO by writing Trace has a "pop gun " arm. Whether that proves to be true or not you can't make that judgment after 25-30 career throws.

Reactions: JJTopp99

I read the article. He makes sense except for describing Trace as tiny.

Jones also took a cheap shot at Trace McSorley IMO by writing Trace has a "pop gun " arm. Whether that proves to be true or not you can't make that judgment after 25-30 career throws.

Trace DOES have a pop gun arm, HOWEVER, so did Zach Mills, and in my view, Trace can be for this offense, what Zach was to that offense. This offense does not require a big arm, it requires a skill set EXACTLY like McSorely has: Great elusiveness in the pocket, the ability to keep plays alive, the ability to move the chains with short throws and runs, and the occasional shot over the top on deep in's and out's.

...unless of course we all want to go back to Hack taking a 5 step drop and throwing 50 yard sideline balloons against Michigan State....

Sorry,but I agree with him.

MY point was that anyone with HALF A BRAIN knows we need an OL, no really we do. And we have to replace Hack. Jones wrote an article to point that out ????/ WOW, I guess his readers are really that DUMB!!!

I have NEVER read a truly positive article from him, so I stopped reading his garbage many years ago. Actually, I used to enjoy how Joe always minimized him :)

Last edited:
Trace DOES have a pop gun arm, HOWEVER, so did Zach Mills, and in my view, Trace can be for this offense, what Zach was to that offense. This offense does not require a big arm, it requires a skill set EXACTLY like McSorely has: Great elusiveness in the pocket, the ability to keep plays alive, the ability to move the chains with short throws and runs, and the occasional shot over the top on deep in's and out's.

I disagree about McSorley's arm. It is much stronger than people think. I otherwise agree with you.

That's funny, I remember McSorley being much more effective than Hack against Georgia (the ncaa leader in pass defense). While only receiving 2nd team reps in practice. Led us on two long scoring drives.

And Barkley averaged almost 6 yards a carry last year, ran for over 1,000 yards. Certainly wasn't "wasted" his freshman year.

Jones, and Flounders, are both trolls and a-holes.

Jones is a tool no doubt and he could have worded much better the descriptive of McSorley's arm strength. Compared to Hack it is not as strong but no reason to refer to him as "tiny" and point out his "pop gun" arm. Jones does this crap all the time because he is an OSU alum jagoff and for no other reason.

That's funny, I remember McSorley being much more effective than Hack against Georgia (the ncaa leader in pass defense). While only receiving 2nd team reps in practice. Led us on two long scoring drives.

And Barkley averaged almost 6 yards a carry last year, ran for over 1,000 yards. Certainly wasn't "wasted" his freshman year.

Jones, and Flounders, are both trolls and a-holes.
I have been a reader on this site and psu fan for a long time. There are tons of crap threads I filter out. However, I always read your posts regarding football. Much appreciated. Without hacking on players from last season, player for player the offense will be explosive come fall. So keep on posting. To all PENN STATE fans, support Coach Franklin and be there Blue/White Weekend.

Dave Jones and his following of JJ, mbe34/Andrea/Shuttlesworthless, Phlegethon and the other phony names are all like the monkey or chimp who fingered his azz and fainted.

I have been a reader on this site and psu fan for a long time. There are tons of crap threads I filter out. However, I always read your posts regarding football. Much appreciated. Without hacking on players from last season, player for player the offense will be explosive come fall. So keep on posting. To all PENN STATE fans, support Coach Franklin and be there Blue/White Weekend.

Thank you. Continued reason no one should ever link Pennlive on this site.

You think OSU fans would put up with this kind of coverage?

Douche-bag Jones said the same thing about Matt McGloin when he was locked in his QB battle with 5* recruit Bolton..... Hammered McGloin especially his arm. When McGloin got to the NFL there were many comments about how "know-nothing" Douche-bag Jones' & "friends" comments were - essentially they said that while McGloin's arm-strength was only "decent", but plenty sufficient for an NFL QB, it is beyond ridiculous to claim that McGloin's arm-strength was bad for a "COLLEGE RECRUIT" and regardless of the fact that he was not originally offered a scholarship out of HS and "walked-on" at PSU (which is the claim that Douche-bag Jones tried to make about McGloin and is now making about Trace McSorley).

Beyond stupid to claim McSorley has a "pop-gun" arm or that his arm strength isn't plenty good enough for D1A football - all one has to do is look at the deep-post he threw for the last TD against UGa into 3-deep coverage - plenty of arm-strength for that pattern and he put it right on the $$$ into an extremely small window where only the PSU receiver could get to it.

Jones is a complete @sshole, who doesn't know what the phuck he's talking about generally and is one of the sportswriters who is routinely "agenda-driven" and you can tell has never played any sport successfully in his entire sad, jock-sniffing life.

I wanted to bump this old thread because this talking point, here exhibited (of course) by Dave Jones, was so annoying to me in the offseason.

From Jones' April article:

But Barkley is, without question, good enough where he could be excused for some swagger. I just wish we could see him play with an offense that maximized his talent. And there are many qualifiers and hypotheticals impeding that reality when the 2016 begins. The Nittany Lions will run a lot of inside-zone run game and do the best they can with West Coast-style pass plays that don't overly tax the popgun arm of likely starterTrace McSorley.

The problem, of course, is twofold: First, can Moorhead and new OL coach Matt Limegrover find one tackle and guard combination they can count on to keep hats on hats while Barkley does his stuff. Second, can the tiny McSorley maintain his health while running 8-12 times a game himself? He can be effective running read-option. But can he keep from getting freight trained and hurt?

Whether McSorley can read defenses correctly, take shots at the right time without being fooled and then get the ball downfield well enough to keep safeties out of the box are all major questions. Suddenly, Christian Hackenberg's rifle will not be there to keep them honest. If defenses don't respect McSorley or Tommy Stevens, it'll mean more traffic for Barkley to negotiate.

And here is an analytics look at Penn State's offense this year...

Penn State's offense: Part of that comes from their apparent growth this season. From 73% and 57% S&P+ performances in the first two weeks to 95% and 93% performances in the last two weeks, the Nittany Lions have shown incredible progress since the beginning of the season.

The two big things that Penn State's offense has going for it: Saquon Barkley and Trace McSorley's explosiveness. If you look at their explosive plays, you'll see the same trend: their 113th in 10+ yard plays, but 18th in the number of 40+ yard plays, and 13th in 50+ yard plays.

Penn State's big plays come far more often than average on passing downs rather than standard downs. The Nittany Lions are second in the country in passing downs IsoPPP. They aren't efficient still -- with successful plays on under a third of their passing downs attempts -- but their successful plays are often very explosive on passing downs. That's how Trace McSorley's developed a gunslinger reputation.

And ESPN called McSorley the best QB in the Big Ten at throwing long passes a few weeks ago.

Who throws the best deep ball (20-plus yards in the air)?

Highest QBR: Penn State QB Trace McSorley (97.2)

Only seven Power 5 quarterbacks have attempted more deep balls than McSorley, as he’s gone 13-of-33 for 600 yards, four TDs and two picks on passes that traveled at least 20 yards in the air. It’s also important to note that his 39.4 percent completion rate may seem low, but it’s still higher than the Power 5 average of 34.4 percent. Somewhat ironically, McSorley didn’t have a reputation for a big arm. His predecessor, Christian Hackenberg, did. But Hackenberg finished the 2015 season with an 89.7 QBR on such passes and a 33.9 percent completion rate.

Of course Jones led the charge about "tiny" McSorley's "pop gun arm" and how the PSU offense would suffer without Hack's strong arm to put the fear of God in them (2016 33.6 points per game; 2015 23.2 points per game).

As usual, David Jones is dumb and wrong.

That's the thing about Jones that makes him a troll. If he really thought McSorley couldn't throw, there are better ways to say so that don't include "popgun arm." That's inflammatory troll talk and it's all he knows. Being shown to be wrong will do nothing to change anything, either. When Penn State wins, Jones looks like he wants to vomit. Makes this year that much more enjoyable.

That's the thing about Jones that makes him a troll. If he really thought McSorley couldn't throw, there are better ways to say so that don't include "popgun arm." That's inflammatory troll talk and it's all he knows. Being shown to be wrong will do nothing to change anything, either. When Penn State wins, Jones looks like he wants to vomit. Makes this year that much more enjoyable.

One of my favorite Jones-isms was his suggestion a few weeks ago that to combat the ferocious Ohio State pass rush (1 sack against PSU), Penn State should rotate in a different offensive linemen for Paris Palmer on passing downs. One of my contacts said that got a huge laugh from the PSU coaching staff in a meeting room.

Actually, from what little I saw of Stevens vs Purdue, Trace and Tommie's arms look about equal.
Jones is a rat. Don't feed the rats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT