ADVERTISEMENT

idiot David Jones ......

The game is clearly a payback for Georgia State coaches allowing Franklin to participate in their camp a few years ago. Franklin was trying to expand the PSU recruiting footprint at the time and Georgia State will get a big check in return for the game.

That said, games like these are not helpful in the big picture IMO. No offense to Georgia State but the teams are on 2 separate levels in terms of talent. If PSU wins- it's 'so what' from the media and questioning of how overrated PSU is if they don't win 65- 0.

The game is clearly a payback for Georgia State coaches allowing Franklin to participate in their camp a few years ago. Franklin was trying to expand the PSU recruiting footprint at the time and Georgia State will get a big check in return for the game.

That said, games like these are not helpful in the big picture IMO. No offense to Georgia State but the teams are on 2 separate levels in terms of talent. If PSU wins- it's 'so what' from the media and questioning of how overrated PSU is if they don't win 65- 0.

The "big picture" is Penn State needs to recruit better in the South, where you'll find the highest concentration of blue chip recruits.

Well said. No doubt part of a quid pro quo necessary to help gain access to a fertile recruiting area. Jesus, look at 2019. Last I checked, at this late date we've only offered a handful of PA kids. Less than 5, right now, probably (someone will check). If Franklin gave Georgia State a game in return (basically) for access to do camps with them in Georgia....seems like a pretty good trade. Every team, including Joe's teams, has body bag games.

Listing to that part of Franklin's PC I'm not sure it was a strict quid pro quo. He made it sound like hey were already doing the satellite camp together and then the idea of a game came up, and it fit whatever criteria Penn State needed for OOC game.

But if it was a quid pro quo -- as you say, it's a good deal. The southern players who were being recruited while Franklin was at Vanderbilt -- Campbell, Haley, Cothren, Brown -- are just huge for this team. Pennsylvania just doesn't produce enough players any more -- PSU has got to recruit the Southeast very aggressively now. And the success of those four players is going to be huge for PSU recruiting going forward -- you come to PSU you can play in a big game environment, prepare for the NFL AND actually earn a degree!

The "big picture" is Penn State needs to recruit better in the South, where you'll find the highest concentration of blue chip recruits.

Georgia State doesn't move the needle in the south. Schedule Alabama, Georgia, LSU etc and you'll get the attention of southern blue chip recruits. The Auburn game in a few years is a great start.

IMHO its difficult to get a lot of kids from the south, they don't like the weather or at times the culture.
The recruiting seems to be doing quit well, just keep winning and they will come.

IMHO its difficult to get a lot of kids from the south, they don't like the weather or at times the culture.
The recruiting seems to be doing quit well, just keep winning and they will come.

There's hundreds coming north every year, just from Florida. 6 FBS schools is maybe 120 scholarships a year, and Florida probably produces well over 200 FBS quality football players each year -- maybe 300 or 400. So they come north because that's their best opportunity. A lot come north for the education too because they know that Miami or FSU or the SEC isn't necessarily going to be the best environment for them.

And Haley,Campbell,Cothren,Brown are all good examples that you don't have to get the 4 and 5 stars to get really high quality athletes and high quality people. You just recruit for fit with Penn State culture. a 3 star from Alabama or Georgia is going to be a really good football player.

2018 Class
1_4344161.jpg

Jordan MinerWiregrass Ranch (Zephyrhills, FL)

1_5222352.jpg

Isaiah HumphriesSachse (Sachse, TX)

1_5109285.jpg

Trent GordonManvel (Manvel, TX)

1_5159314.jpg

Judge CulpepperPlant (Tampa, FL)

On the roster:

Christian Campbell, Alabama
Grant Haley, Georgia
Torrence Brown, Alabama
Amani Oruwariye, Florida
Parker Cothren, Alabama
Alex Barbir, Georgia
Blake Gillikin, Georgia

Georgia State doesn't move the needle in the south. Schedule Alabama, Georgia, LSU etc and you'll get the attention of southern blue chip recruits. The Auburn game in a few years is a great start.

Did you read this thread? Georgia State allowed us to do multiple camps with them during the summer. It's not about the game itself "moving the needle".

this guy complains about literally everything....a warm weather night game for penn state fans to enjoy. how terrible!! The media people just dont like it because they have to work late.

$1.2 million is too much. If anything should be criticized, it is $1.2 mill.
The satellite camps at Georgia State have contributed to Penn State identifying, scouting, and eventually getting commitments from Grant Haley, Alex Barbir, Blake Gillikin, DJ Brown, and very nearly Justin Fields - all players who camped at Georgia State who the staff may not have identified otherwise. Hell, Grant Haley alone might have provided more than $1.2M in value for Penn State, and Gillikin is probably close to that two games into his sophomore year.

PSU has to have a team that will accept on PSU home game with no return game. No P5 program is going to do that. Hell, even Temple won't do that as they want a 3 for 1 type deal (hence the game in Lincoln Feild in Philly a few years ago). Only programs that do that are the small conference teams. So it is either Ga State or another Mac team. I'd rather have Ga State as a team from down South that helped PSU out with holding a camp then Toledo or Northern Illinois or Central Michigan. So what is the argument, there is no argument unless you don't understand how things work.

But it is perfectly OK with Jones that almighty Alabama schedules Mercer?

I would also guess a large number of Wisconsin fans felt differently about Ga State in the 4th quarter last fall.

Ragging on Penn State is just too easy for so many writers. Who gives a FRA about their opinions?

What is Alabama's out of conference schedule? Georgia, LSU? They ALL play non-P5 conference teams at least once a year.

I think the new ncaa rules, thanks in part to Harbaugh, stipulate that a summer camp has to be held on a campus.. so we have to 'partner' with a program like Georgia State in order to hold a camp in a desirable recruiting location. I don't think Alabama or Georgia would allow us to hold a camp on their campus

We now approach the single most pointless game I believe I have ever covered in 27 years on the Penn State football beat. This is really where the competition is obliterated by the business.

It's not just a guarantee game where a rich program pays off a poor one like a john slipping a few bills to a hooker for a service. It's not just a game against a team from a league that clearly can't compete on any regular basis with the Big Ten.

It's not merely a team from the bottom tier of one of those leagues. And it's not just one of those teams but also one from 800 miles away.

It's all of those things. And it's at night. In the third week of the season.

It's rational that maybe a program like Minnesota will play Middle Tennessee on Saturday. But does Penn State really need to not only play this school but do it at night? And yes, I understand that PSU is the BTN's nighttime product here.

Hmmm. Night game allowing a ton of blue chip kids to visit Saturday. How terrible.

There's hundreds coming north every year, just from Florida. 6 FBS schools is maybe 120 scholarships a year, and Florida probably produces well over 200 FBS quality football players each year -- maybe 300 or 400. So they come north because that's their best opportunity. A lot come north for the education too because they know that Miami or FSU or the SEC isn't necessarily going to be the best environment for them.

And Haley,Campbell,Cothren,Brown are all good examples that you don't have to get the 4 and 5 stars to get really high quality athletes and high quality people. You just recruit for fit with Penn State culture. a 3 star from Alabama or Georgia is going to be a really good football player.

Bullshit. A 3* from PA is gonna be every bit as good.

Latest from Jones...

I have been lucky in this business not to have ever had to cover a true jerk. I hope I've not been one myself too often.

200.gif

So, there are rules I was taught by mentors that I've tried to follow to make those interactions as businesslike and straightforward as possible:

All I ask in return is that they be professional, that they not make it personal.

[
Tiny quarterback with pop gun arm? Franklin is a used car salesman?]

In all my time covering college athletics, I've had the pleasure of covering some people who have passion for their work but, by and large, have not allowed that juice to morph into venom. Who've taken criticism in print with grace and never responded with retribution in the public arena.

My time on the Penn State football beat has been, of course, dominated by the late Joe Paterno. I genuinely liked Joe as a subject to cover because he made an effort to meet reporters halfway in most circumstances. And his many jabs and backhand responses, at least in the press conference environment, never came off as personal to me. They were just Paterno being the cantankerous old man he then often was.

Since Paterno, Bill O'Brien was nothing but a pro, as has been James Franklin.

Of the three PSU football coaches, Franklin has probably received the most heat from the media [
passive voice?] during his active tenure and he has maintained an absolutely cordial and professional demeanor throughout. What that shows me is a guy who's comfortable in his own skin [reversal of his prior comments] and quietly confident of his ability to do his job regardless of the inevitable setbacks.

Latest from Jones...

I have been lucky in this business not to have ever had to cover a true jerk. I hope I've not been one myself too often.

200.gif

So, there are rules I was taught by mentors that I've tried to follow to make those interactions as businesslike and straightforward as possible:

All I ask in return is that they be professional, that they not make it personal.

[
Tiny quarterback with pop gun arm? Franklin is a used car salesman?]

In all my time covering college athletics, I've had the pleasure of covering some people who have passion for their work but, by and large, have not allowed that juice to morph into venom. Who've taken criticism in print with grace and never responded with retribution in the public arena.

My time on the Penn State football beat has been, of course, dominated by the late Joe Paterno. I genuinely liked Joe as a subject to cover because he made an effort to meet reporters halfway in most circumstances. And his many jabs and backhand responses, at least in the press conference environment, never came off as personal to me. They were just Paterno being the cantankerous old man he then often was.

Since Paterno, Bill O'Brien was nothing but a pro, as has been James Franklin.

Of the three PSU football coaches, Franklin has probably received the most heat from the media [
passive voice?] during his active tenure and he has maintained an absolutely cordial and professional demeanor throughout. What that shows me is a guy who's comfortable in his own skin [reversal of his prior comments] and quietly confident of his ability to do his job regardless of the inevitable setbacks.

Jones?

Jackass.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Gap between Penn State and Big Ten East's heavyweights is a canyon and not narrowing soon
By David Jones | djones@pennlive.com
on November 28, 2015

EAST LANSING, Mich. - Everyone's so enamored with using metrics and numbers to judge everything these days. But it's not that complicated to assess the chasm between the top three teams in the Big Ten's East division and the fourth-place one.

Anyone with eyeballs and memories and cable TV can do it. It's the space between a McLaren and a Ferrari and a Lambo racing three abreast down a desert highway and somewhere back there a Hyundai Elantra.

The Elantra is a dependable, affordable car. I own two. But it does not belong in a competition with supercars. And that's about what James Franklin is up against here.

But talent and flash and hyperbolic rhetoric are not going to get you by the giants that are Ohio State and Michigan led by master-level coaches Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh. And this team that drilled Penn State on Saturday beat them both.

There is a quality going on in all three programs that can only be defined as gravitas. These are serious shops run by serious people.

Penn State under Franklin? So far, in comparison, his operation feels like a puppet show.

Forget the finishing fireworks where Dantonio decided to hand the ball to one of those linemen, center Jack Allen, and allow the 280-pounder barrel off right tackle for nine yards and a Fridge Perry-like touchdown. The game was decided in the third quarter when Michigan State kept the ball for 20 of the first 24 plays, composed two long TD drives and went ahead 34-10.

When will Franklin ever be able to murder a game like that?

From the looks of it, not anytime soon.

There, you got your numbers. But you didn't need them. Neither did you when the Lions played Ohio State and Michigan. You could see the difference with your eyes.

It is stark and I don't see how it's narrowing much anytime soon.

DAVID JONES was asking why people are so venomous!! Hahahahahahahahaha

John Donovan was scapegoat for rebuild that will take longer than Penn State fans can accept
By David Jones | djones@pennlive.com
on November 30, 2015

It's just that this part nags at me: Why does everyone seem so venomous? Why do so many take such apparent glee in a firing? And what, exactly makes any of you think the next guy is going to be that much more successful considering the liabilities of Penn State's player personnel in the wake of NCAA sanctions and, frankly, PSU's relevance or lack thereof among the college football elite for the better part of the last two decades? Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Douche Davey does write with disdain for the nittany lions. It's all wishful thinking on his part. He can't stand the fact that PSU is back.

Years ago these articles would be erased from the readers' minds after a few weeks/months. No more.
It is past time for Davey-boy to lose his PSU credentials ----- his only goal in life is to denigrate the PSU program any way he can ------ make him personna non grata on the UP campus ----- no space in the press box for him either!!! He can write his scathing fictions from Harrisburg or Philly since he doesn't need to see or interview anyone in order to write his 'prose' (and this term is being used very very very very loosely)!

If anyone feels like helping, in the same time frame (November 2015 - March 2016) Davey Boy wrote an article about how Saquon Barkley's talents would be "wasted" at Penn State.

Yes, the guy who is currently the Heisman front runner.

Yes, I understand that he feels his job is to troll us Penn State fans (it's a competition for clicks out there), but the guy just isn't very bright - at least with regards to college football. I'm not sure he could accurately analyze the coin toss.

Douche Davey does write with disdain for the nittany lions. It's all wishful thinking on his part. He can't stand the fact that PSU is back.

Years ago these articles would be erased from the readers' minds after a few weeks/months. No more.
I ONLY know or hear of David Jones because people write about him here. Period.

Reactions: Sproul
Yes, I understand that he feels his job is to troll us Penn State fans (it's a competition for clicks out there), but the guy just isn't very bright - at least with regards to college football. I'm not sure he could accurately analyze the coin toss.

He'd get a lot more clicks with positive articles instead of the poison he spews.

He'd get a lot more clicks with positive articles instead of the poison he spews.

Thats what I never understood. It seems like it is such a waste financially to have a negative reporter on the beat of your most popular local team.
Purely from a financial perspective, his bosses should have gotten rid of him long ago.

I know people like to say how it generates clicks but I personally never read the negative reactionary garbage.

Also, this dude has proved he knows NOTHING about the game of football. At all.

The PennLive brain trust.

pennlive-penn-state-football-news-team-16c0779d79531a77.jpg

PennLive Penn State football news team, front row, David Jones, columnist, Joe Hermitt, photographer. Back row, reporters Dustin Hockensmith, Bob Flounders and Greg Pickel.Dan Gleiter | dgleiter@pennlive.com

The PennLive brain trust.

pennlive-penn-state-football-news-team-16c0779d79531a77.jpg

PennLive Penn State football news team, front row, David Jones, columnist, Joe Hermitt, photographer. Back row, reporters Dustin Hockensmith, Bob Flounders and Greg Pickel.Dan Gleiter | dgleiter@pennlive.com

Why do Hockensmith, Pickel, and Hermitt want to associate themselves with these other douches? Don't they understand that being associated with the negative crap that comes from Pennlive will reflect on them in the future? It is time for PSU to remove Pennlive/Hbg from the program ------ Flounders and Jones do more damage to the PSU program than their influence is worth!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT