ADVERTISEMENT

I am trying to think of some Nittany Lions who began their career with a touchdown the first time they touched the ball in a game. Respond below.

Two names came quickly to mind:

Curt Warner, who I believe returned a KO for a TD in the season opener in 1979. Don't remember if it was his first touch.
J.T. Morris, who I believe rumbled a long way for a TD on his first touch vs. Cincy in the 81-0 bloodletting.

Curt Warner, who I believe returned a KO for a TD in the season opener in 1979. Don't remember if it was his first touch.
J.T. Morris, who I believe rumbled a long way for a TD on his first touch vs. Cincy in the 81-0 bloodletting.
What a way to start your college fb career.

I was at that game.

In 1979 my brother and I were sitting on the press box side at about the 20 yard line going left to right. PSU was playing Rutgers and the team began the game pretty lethargically. Very little production on offense.

So when PSU got the ball on I believe the Rutgers 11 yard line, from a turnover?? or punt return?? a skinny freshman running back entered the game pretty much unnoticed by those sitting around us. I had followed PSU recruiting back then as well and knew of Curt Warner from Pineville, WV. He took the hand off on I believe first down and was in the end zone handing the ball to the official before most everyone even knew his name.

So unless proven otherwise I'm under the belief that that was Curt's first TD at PSU, in his first PSU game. PSU won that game 45-10,.

Last edited:
Reactions: demlion and ryoder1
MRob in '02 maybe vs Nebraska. Probably not the first time he touched the ball ever in a game but an early touch in his career resulting in a TD.

Reactions: demlion
Didn’t MRob have a stretch of five straight touches with a TD at one pt early in his career

Deyvn Ford scored on an 81 yd run vs Idaho. I was sitting way up in South endzone and remember being thrilled with how he took off once he got through the line. Found a Black Shoes Diary article that said it was his 2nd carry.

In the 2013 Syracuse game, Hack had a long TD pass to Geno Lewis. That might have Geno's first touch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT