ADVERTISEMENT

HUNTERS.....how's everyone doing so far?

MarkPSU

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The bucks have really been moving here in Ohio the last couple weeks. I took a nice 9 point Thursday afternoon (third buck I saw in one hour) and then took a gobbler Friday morning. Haven't seen anything in the way of chasing yet, but I assume they're starting to get locked up with some does by now.

Reactions: okinburg1
Have seen a lot of deer in my yard, buck and doe, but not going to be able to hunt until early December. Too much going on every weekend with 2 kids in high school.
o_O

I'm not a hunter, but I do pay attention to the annual take. I have never seen so many dead buck along the highways as I have this year. Certainly, the population is up overall, but it seems like a huge increase in antlered deer this year.

In southern New England the rut is just starting. Trail cams have some small bucks fighting at scrape locations and lots of does. I have been out a few times during archery. Passed on the does and one small spike but no big bucks to be seen yet. Hunt western Ct. and eastern NY now, Pa. for the first week of gun.

rut just starting in 2F ... we took two 8 pointers out of 3 guys this last week but saw no hard charging, just morning and evening movement. Big ones had first does on lock down. Small bucks not particpating yet. It should be crazy with temps dropping at the end of the week.

7-pt. and a doe this past weekend. 1B, border of Erie and Crawford Co.

Shot my first turkey last Tuesday. Really, got 2 with the 1 shot...... both hens.

Really just began serious turkey hunting for a few days each PA season 2 years ago when I went to part time work.....

Rut just starting to pick up in NC PA. But the deer have gone nocturnal since the October muzzleloader season.

Sorry if discussed previously, but has anyone been following the deer fatalities in the North Pittsburgh suburbs due to some sort of insect bite. Supposedly numbers in the thousands. That said, while driving near my home in that general area, saw the most perfect rack on a buck in memory. Think it was a 12 point. Still a lot of deer all around my mini-farm here.

The disease is EHD all we need is a good frost and the midges will die and the disease will be done.

Officials believe EHD has claimed hundreds of deer in the suburbs north of Pittsburgh, with many dying in/near water as the disease causes fever as well as internal bleeding. Thankfully, there is no threat to humans/pets from EHD and, as noted above, a good frost will end the threat.

Reactions: nits74
Officials believe EHD has claimed hundreds of deer in the suburbs north of Pittsburgh, with many dying in/near water as the disease causes fever as well as internal bleeding. Thankfully, there is no threat to humans/pets from EHD and, as noted above, a good frost will end the threat.
Thanks for the information. Interesting that it has been around so long, but never heard much about it before in these parts.

Down here in NC took a doe in archery in September, then Wife wouldn't let me hunt any more since she was 8 months pregnant. Hopefully I get out in a few weeks when the rut hits in mid-November

I was out Thurs - Sat. Almost no deer movement during daylight hours. I have a camera on a scrape thats been visited by 8 different bucks, all between 11 pm - 4 am.

The bucks have really been moving here in Ohio the last couple weeks. I took a nice 9 point Thursday afternoon (third buck I saw in one hour) and then took a gobbler Friday morning. Haven't seen anything in the way of chasing yet, but I assume they're starting to get locked up with some does by now.
My property is in Southern Ohio. Haven’t seen much in the way of Daylight movement on the Big Boys.. headed down this week with the cold weather.. have a few 170”+ on cameras, but only at night.. The bucks were still together as of this weekend.. The 10th has been my magic number for getting strong chasing..

Was just out at our cabin in Clinton County - no daylight movement at all. Decent sign but nothing going. Between the good hard mast and that October muzzleloader season, nothing going on in the big woods. At least, that's what I'm blaming it on.

Down in Dauphin county, rattling has produced bucks, but mostly non-shooters. The big boys are still nocturnal.

I'm not a hunter, but I do pay attention to the annual take. I have never seen so many dead buck along the highways as I have this year. Certainly, the population is up overall, but it seems like a huge increase in antlered deer this year.
Dead bucks all over the place here in south central pa. I took a nice 8 after sitting for 10 minutes the first day of archery. Kind of sucks that my season was over so shortly but with my son and daughter's sports schedule this past saturday was the first time I was able to get back out anyhow. Saw some turkeys and a little 5 point, seems that rut activity hasn't peaked but its been steady.

Dead bucks all over the place here in south central pa. I took a nice 8 after sitting for 10 minutes the first day of archery. Kind of sucks that my season was over so shortly but with my son and daughter's sports schedule this past saturday was the first time I was able to get back out anyhow. Saw some turkeys and a little 5 point, seems that rut activity hasn't peaked but its been steady.
You could get a couple 6-8 pointers off my back porch and I live in a residential area.

I am assuming that Pa. is still a one buck a year state. It makes it tough to take a buck in archery and then have to skip the gun season excepting any doe tags.
That said, the addition of cross bow makes taking a real trophy buck in archery, during the peak of the rut around Veterans Day, a real opportunity and worth skipping the gun season.
More of the better deer hunters around my Pa. camp are doing exactly that now which takes out a good portion of the real nice bucks before gun even opens and add to that the bear season the week before the gun opener has the big woods all disturbed with gangs of bear hunting teams driving the swamps and laurel thickets running all of the deer around at the same time. So by the time gun opens all of the deer are really spooked and many of the top trophies are already in a freezer with the heads at some taxidermist's shop.
I was considering going for a week right now out to the Allegheny National Forest for a nice week of bow hunting but I am off to Wash. DC for Veterans Day weekend plus I have some health issues that make deer hunting alone a problem. So I will go to our camp out there for the first week of gun and not see much at all.
Usually I have enough bucks by then in Ct. and NY. In Ct. I can legally shoot half dozen bucks in all of the seasons combined plus more does than you would ever want to cut up. The good news is the state has only about 30,000 deer hunters and the hunters that bother only take a couple deer a year.

Just found 2 -10 pts dead in the creek bottoms. Westmoreland county near the Allegheny co line. Reports of dead bucks everywhere.

hqdefault.jpg

Hunter.

Saw a massive mule deer at 1,600yds in Shoshone National Forest last week, but alas...I can’t shoot that far. Otherwise, notta

You could get a couple 6-8 pointers off my back porch and I live in a residential area.
I could get a buck every year sitting on my back porch as well, seems many residential areas are like that, but I don't find any enjoyment in it. Prefer to hunt in big woods where I can get away.

I wanna get me one of THESE guys. I'm thinkin' I'll need to go "full bump stock" to get a Snoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

My buddy is a hunter and mentioned something to me that I hadn't thought of before. He has a hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere. He says there are more deer in the populated suburban areas than out in the middle of the forest. There is much more food in human populated areas. Many things that people plant for decoration are food sources for deer. Just thought it was interesting because, without really thinking about it, I assumed most deer lived way out in the forest.

My buddy is a hunter and mentioned something to me that I hadn't thought of before. He has a hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere. He says there are more deer in the populated suburban areas than out in the middle of the forest. There is much more food in human populated areas. Many things that people plant for decoration are food sources for deer. Just thought it was interesting because, without really thinking about it, I assumed most deer lived way out in the forest.
I believe that. Deer are moving from the country to the suburbs. Arborvitae are like deer salad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT