ADVERTISEMENT

How is Texas ranked > Minnesota?

The current system is a sh!t show and it's still all about perception. Is there any other reason that Penn State is 6th (and other than Minnesota and Baylor - who played no one -- the lowest ranked undefeated Power 5 team)? Except for LSU, is there any other undefeated team ahead of them who can claim two quality wins better than Michigan and Iowa (and if you want to add Pitt to that, you can say 3 quality wins)? Without the loss to PSU, those three teams are likely each sitting at 6-1 right now.

The first ranking doesn't come out until next week. These polls mean very little. The only reason it's a shit show is because only 4 teams get in. 12-1 conference champions can get left out. It's not a true national championship.

Based on resume, I'd rank teams like this up to the moment:

1. LSU
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Georgia
7. Oklahoma
8. Alabama
9. Clemson
10. Wisconsin
11. Oregon
12. Notre Dame

Yea, no kidding. Was watching ESPN's "Road To The Playoff" yesterday and one of the blathering bozos said that PSU deserved to be ranked the lowest of all undefeated P5 teams because they don't have a "signature win" and then immediately said, "after all LSU has beaten Texas as has Oklahoma. PSU doesn't have a quality win like that on their resume....". Huh? How's beating 5-2 Texas this earthshacking impressive achievement?

I find it amusing how far Iowa and Michigan's reputations have fallen. Also, let's not forget a few years ago Delaney was openly lobbying for Michigan over PSU. Anyone who thinks psu will be getting any benefit of the doubt anytime soon is living in La La land. When the psu bot destroyed the university's reputation and ruined decades of building up goodwill, they signaled it was ok for the powers that be to take all kinds of shots at psu. Let's face it, psu as a national brand has been irreparably harmed. Sandy and the administration should be working behind closed doors to push back, but they as are not and won't.

Reactions: nits74
The first ranking doesn't come out until next week. These polls mean very little. The only reason it's a shit show is because only 4 teams get in. 12-1 conference champions can get left out. It's not a true national championship.

Based on resume, I'd rank teams like this up to the moment:

1. LSU
2. Penn State
3. Ohio State
4. Florida
5. Auburn
6. Georgia
7. Oklahoma
8. Alabama
9. Clemson
10. Wisconsin
11. Oregon
12. Notre Dame

Wiscy #10?

You must be drinking lots and lots of whiskey!

If Texas plays Minnesota @ Minnesota, which team wins? Texas.

LOL

If Texas played @ Maryland, who'd win? Oh wait, they played at Maryland and home against Maryland and lost both games in the last two years. Maryland had just 9 wins over those two years and 2 of the 9 were against Texas.

Texas = overrated.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Georgia ranked ahead of Alabama is rather curious. A loss at home against a banged up South Carolina team.

As soon as Bama beats someone good, they move past Georgia. Georgia has a legit win vs ND. I value a good win more than one dumb loss. If you can’t win a playoff game, then why should you be in the playoff? There’s tons of games against mediocre to bad teams and only a handful of games between really good teams. Georgia is one of only a few teams with a really good win and I think they should be rewarded for playing a good program out of conference. Same with LSU and Auburn. SEC has wins vs Texas, Oregon and Notre Dame. That’s damn impressive in this day and age. I think Clemson really should have to go undefeated and look really impressive. Forget about last year. There’s a bunch of teams that would beat them right now. I honestly think Pitt will give them a fight if they play again in the ACC championship game.

I didn't say that. Nowhere in my message do I mention BCS selection criteria. Head-to-head Texas would beat Minny. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yet, Head to head UGA beat ND and...Michigan beat Iowa...

As soon as Bama beats someone good, they move past Georgia. Georgia has a legit win vs ND. I value a good win more than one dumb loss. If you can’t win a playoff game, then why should you be in the playoff? There’s tons of games against mediocre to bad teams and only a handful of games between really good teams. Georgia is one of only a few teams with a really good win and I think they should be rewarded for playing a good program out of conference. Same with LSU and Auburn. SEC has wins vs Texas, Oregon and Notre Dame. That’s damn impressive in this day and age. I think Clemson really should have to go undefeated and look really impressive. Forget about last year. There’s a bunch of teams that would beat them right now. I honestly think Pitt will give them a fight if they play again in the ACC championship game.
Respect your opinion, but what is your definition of a "dumb loss"? Still a loss to an at best mediocre team. And at home. Hard to overlook, at least at this point.

Respect your opinion, but what is your definition of a "dumb loss"? Still a loss to an at best mediocre team. And at home. Hard to overlook, at least at this point.

A slip up against a team that you’d beat 9 times out of ten. Sure, Georgia should take a hit for it. I just think a big non conference win should get a big reward while playing nobody and winning shouldn’t really move the needle. I think if a team like Auburn has two losses but they beat Oregon, Alabama and Georgia or LSU they should get in over a team like Clemson. The unbalanced schedules throughout college football make it ridiculous to only have 4 teams and difficult to compare teams. My personal opinion is that it shouldn’t just be about the win loss record at the end of the year but the teams you beat and where you beat them along with conference championship and the so called “eye test”. Clemson’s gift of a schedule this year is an embarrassment. Like if we lose to Michigan State but then win out, I’d hope all the big wins would show how good we are over the one data point where we were at our worst.

Reactions: nits74
Point is Minny has played nobody sans a Rondell Moore-equipped Purdue and beat them by a TD. Whereas Texas has two losses against top ten teams. Look, I'm far from being a Texas apologist but let us be objective here. Minny's first real test is November 9th. Lastly, PJ Flake is a used car salesman. Out!

The game was 38-17 Minnesota and Purdue was never the game as Minnesota played very conservative down the stretch and Purdue had a fluke onside kicked and score to make to look close.

Minnesota is looking more like the team that curshed Wisconsin and Ga. Tech at the end of last year, as the OL gets better and the defense starts to gell.

Sure maybe PSU cruises, but I think this is a better Minnesota team than the one that pissed away a sure win late then in OT vs a good Penn State team last time the teams met.

Reactions: die hard gopher
Clemson had a one point win against North Carolina and Wisconsin had a 1 point loss against Illinois. Are these created equal or does the "win" seem more impressive?

Clemson always has at least one struggle against a mediocre team every year and always gets the benefit of the doubt. They say history doesn't play a part, but I disagree 1000%.

If Texas plays Minnesota @ Minnesota, which team wins? Texas.
Regarding Texas, When? I like our chances on a cold blistery day. It won't happen this year, so it is just another nice hypothetical. If my Gophers finish with one loss (or dare I dream less) in the regular season, the pollsters will be forced to rank them higher. In other words, the season will take care of itself.

As a Gopher fan, I still have no idea how good my Gophers are. I just know that they have won every game on the schedule. At this point that is all that they can do. Right now all I care about is Maryland! This isn't the best matchup for my Gophers, so there is some concern. However, I do like "our" chances.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT