ADVERTISEMENT

How is Texas ranked > Minnesota?

Texas beat Oklahoma State, Kansas, and West Virginia and lost close games to Oklahoma and LSU. Minnesota has played nobody. Texas' resume is better than Minnesota's resume at this point in the season. They deserve the higher ranking.

I guess if you want to count giving up 48 points to a 2-5 Kansas team as a positive on Texas's resume, then you're right.

In two weeks, the first of that "Selection Committee" rankings will come out.

5 minutes after that, the "Polls" will be forgotten about - and utterly meaningless.

Until then? Idiocracy Reigns!!!! :)
You should check to see how closely the committee rankings followed the AP Poll that last 2 years. The first few years there were differences but the last two years the top 10 were almost identical. And neither Texas or Minnesota are going to the CFP anyway.

Texas beat Oklahoma State, Kansas, and West Virginia and lost close games to Oklahoma and LSU. Minnesota has played nobody. Texas' resume is better than Minnesota's resume at this point in the season. They deserve the higher ranking.

Okay, I'll play. Name the 3 worst teams in the Big 12.

Reactions: Fac
I guess if you want to count giving up 48 points to a 2-5 Kansas team as a positive on Texas's resume, then you're right.

Point is Minny has played nobody sans a Rondell Moore-equipped Purdue and beat them by a TD. Whereas Texas has two losses against top ten teams. Look, I'm far from being a Texas apologist but let us be objective here. Minny's first real test is November 9th. Lastly, PJ Flake is a used car salesman. Out!

Reactions: Phoenix lion
Which of these teams (current "poll" Top 10) do you think should be removed? And who should they be replaced with.... and why?

Alabama
Ohio State
Penn State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma
Florida
Notre Dame
Auburn
Georgia

I'll hold the line and wait for your response :)

On the other hand: when there is a complete FUBAR with the polls..... like in 2016 when PSU was NOT even Top 20 (they were 23rd), the "Committee" put them at 12 in their first release.

The bottom line - and the only thing that is really of importance - is the fact that the system in place, or any like it, is a shit-show stupid system..... and the "marketing idea" to sell folks on the fallacy that FBS Football has a "playoff" is just beyond stupid.

ND. Absolutely ND.

I guess it depends on how much value you put on the losses. 2 Ls is not a good resume in my book. Sure they lost to good teams but they lost.

By your rationale if I schedule Bama, LSU, OSU and Oklahoma and go 8-4 I should get a shot at the playoffs because... resume

Unless you think the CFP ranking system is not rife with BIAS, we pretty much agree, except I think pre-season and early season polls are used to justify the BIAS when the CFP comes out. But it is "scientific picked by experts". Can you say Clemson in the CFP playing no teams in the top 25???

Reactions: Cpeplion
I guess it depends on how much value you put on the losses. 2 Ls is not a good resume in my book. Sure they lost to good teams but they lost.

By your rationale if I schedule Bama, LSU, OSU and Oklahoma and go 8-4 I should get a shot at the playoffs because... resume

I didn't say that. Nowhere in my message do I mention BCS selection criteria. Head-to-head Texas would beat Minny. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Which of these teams (current "poll" Top 10) do you think should be removed? And who should they be replaced with.... and why?

Alabama
Ohio State
Penn State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma
Florida
Notre Dame
Auburn
Georgia

I'll hold the line and wait for your response :)

On the other hand: when there is a complete FUBAR with the polls..... like in 2016 when PSU was NOT even Top 20 (they were 23rd), the "Committee" put them at 12 in their first release.

The bottom line - and the only thing that is really of importance - is the fact that the system in place, or any like it, is a shit-show stupid system..... and the "marketing idea" to sell folks on the fallacy that FBS Football has a "playoff" is just beyond stupid.
Don't really care to play and I don't have the time to watch all of the game films that would give me a really informed opinion. My point was that the release of the CFP poll won't change anything because it's now part of the group think that it was supposed to replace.

Reactions: eidolon21
In two weeks, the first of that "Selection Committee" rankings will come out.

5 minutes after that, the "Polls" will be forgotten about - and utterly meaningless.

Until then? Idiocracy Reigns!!!! :)
The funny part is immediately after the committee releases their rankings, the other polls will shuffle quickly and within two weeks they will pretty much line up. It's hilarious.

Minnesota's schedule has been dogshit. That is why they are ranked where they are. They'll lose 3 in a row starting with PSU.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
minnesota should not be Top 10 with who they played. you can argue they should be above Texas, i agree with that.

Reactions: Cosmos
Who do you replace them with?

I am - probably - as "unimpressed" with ND as you are..... but, unless one can make a substantive argument vav who they are "keeping out", its really hard to care.

I can't find anyone - OTTOMH - who is clearly more deserving (though I would expect that arguments could be made for some other teams that would/could be just as (in)valid as any arguments made "for" ND)

That's like, your criteria.

minnesota should not be Top 10 with who they played. you can argue they should be above Texas, i agree with that.

Didn't know they were in the top ten. :D The only way Minny sniffs the top ten is they beat us, and that aint happening so long as we stay healthy. I'll take Franklin's Ferrari (fast but unreliable at times) against Flake's Yugo any day of the week.

Point is Minny has played nobody sans a Rondell Moore-equipped Purdue and beat them by a TD. Whereas Texas has two losses against top ten teams. Look, I'm far from being a Texas apologist but let us be objective here. Minny's first real test is November 9th. Lastly, PJ Flake is a used car salesman. Out!

Didn't Moore (and their QB) get hurt in that game though?

I liken Texas in some ways, although to a lesser degree, to Nebraska. So many are dying for them to return to prominence that they tend to overrate them.

Reactions: 91Joe95
To me Nebraska wasn't overrated coming into the season. They've just massively underachieved. There's really no reason they should be this bad.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Tom Herman’s genius label is starting to peel off.

not quite sure how he got the label but he hornswoggled the easily hornswoggled UT boosters

To me Nebraska wasn't overrated coming into the season. They've just massively underachieved. There's really no reason they should be this bad.

The difference between Texas and Nebraska is simply one thing: Texas has a QB, Nebraska doesn’t.

Tom Herman’s genius label is starting to peel off.

not quite sure how he got the label but he hornswoggled the easily hornswoggled UT boosters
He won at Houston. It was obvious to all the Texas faithful that he would be better at Texas. We all thought the same thing about Al Golden when he was at Temple.

He won at Houston. It was obvious to all the Texas faithful that he would be better at Texas. We all thought the same thing about Al Golden when he was at Temple.

I NEVER thought Golden would be better at Texas! :rolleyes:

Maybe Texas has the benefit of Mexican voters while Minny’s Canadian voters just didn’t cast enough votes.....

Well, he did sell me this...
1987-Yugo-GV-1-e1553470288604-630x390.jpg
:D

The current system is a sh!t show and it's still all about perception. Is there any other reason that Penn State is 6th (and other than Minnesota and Baylor - who played no one -- the lowest ranked undefeated Power 5 team)? Except for LSU, is there any other undefeated team ahead of them who can claim two quality wins better than Michigan and Iowa (and if you want to add Pitt to that, you can say 3 quality wins)? Without the loss to PSU, those three teams are likely each sitting at 6-1 right now.

Yea, no kidding. Was watching ESPN's "Road To The Playoff" yesterday and one of the blathering bozos said that PSU deserved to be ranked the lowest of all undefeated P5 teams because they don't have a "signature win" and then immediately said, "after all LSU has beaten Texas as has Oklahoma. PSU doesn't have a quality win like that on their resume....". Huh? How's beating 5-2 Texas this earthshacking impressive achievement?

Agree 100 %

Minnesota was losing in the 4th quarter to FCS South Dakota State , Georgia Southern,and Fresno State. Barely eked out wins in all 3 games. This week they will play Maryland without their starting QB.
Played Nebraska and Purdue without their starting QB. They have had everything fall in place for a possible 8-0 when they play us. Let's see what happens against Wisconsin,Iowa, and us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT