ADVERTISEMENT

How is Levis a top 5 or 10 pick?

I continue to be amazed how so many view Levis as tied to Franklin and Clifford. Clifford was the "senior" guy and got the nod. Once you become the starter at QB it is hard to get pushed out unless you play terribly. There isn't enough time to get the reps to improve enough if you are the backup. Levis saw the writing on the wall, left PSU and had success at Kentucky and will now be drafted in the first round it sounds like. That story is only about Will Levis. It is not about Penn State, James Franklin or Sean Clifford.

All that said I watched a lot of Kentucky the last two seasons because I was interested in how Levis would do. I personally do not see NFL QB with him. He has a lot of ball security issues and those don't often get a lot better in the NFL especially when you start out on a bad team.
And Clifford did get pushed out, but Levis couldn’t play well enough to take it. I have a feeling if Burrow would have got a shot at OSU, he would have capitalized on the opportunity.

Reactions: marshall23
you remind me of these guys that look at games and say "it's joe burrow versus Mahomes!". there are more than a QB on the field. If the OL doesn't block, the WR's don't get open, and the RB follow the holes, it doesn't matter who is at QB. Couch played on one of the worst-maned teams in history. Probably the worst coached, at least in year one, as well. I was a season ticket holder and was there for most of those home games in the first two years. It got to the point where the comical nature of the way the Browns played was more entertaining than the games themselves. It was a complete shit show like I've never seen in pro-sports. The last game I attended was the game where the crowd cheered when Couch suffered a serious injury.
Excuse after another excuse....If your WR's don't get open, a descent QB doesn't throw to them.

you remind me of these guys that look at games and say "it's joe burrow versus Mahomes!". there are more than a QB on the field. If the OL doesn't block, the WR's don't get open, and the RB follow the holes, it doesn't matter who is at QB. Couch played on one of the worst-maned teams in history. Probably the worst coached, at least in year one, as well. I was a season ticket holder and was there for most of those home games in the first two years. It got to the point where the comical nature of the way the Browns played was more entertaining than the games themselves. It was a complete shit show like I've never seen in pro-sports. The last game I attended was the game where the crowd cheered when Couch suffered a serious injury.
The white women in Pennsylvania were ridiculous with the "Kelce vs. Kelce" schtick.

In just 3 years at Texas Tech, Mahomes had 857 completions, 93 TD passes, 22 rushing TD's, and threw for 11,252 yards, second all time at Tech. Imagine if he had a 4th year.

And that was with a lousy team! Imagine if he had great WR's and a great OL!

Get your facts together son

Reactions: Obliviax
In just 3 years at Texas Tech, Mahomes had 857 completions, 93 TD passes, 22 rushing TD's, and threw for 11,252 yards, second all time at Tech. Imagine if he had a 4th year.

Big XII "defenses"
No one is saying Levis is the next Mahomes or Manning or even Kirk Cousins but it's easy to comprehend why Levis and Anthony Richardson will go in the top 5 or top 10 or top 15. We've all watch football long enough to understand how the draft works with QBs.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Big XII "defenses"
No one is saying Levis is the next Mahomes or Manning or even Kirk Cousins but it's easy to comprehend why Levis and Anthony Richardson will go in the top 5 or top 10 or top 15. We've all watch football long enough to understand how the draft works with QBs.
Forget the Big 12 Bullshit, the kid has proved he is a top QB in the NFL! You think KC thought he was overrated because he played in the Big 12???

My act is together. I talked about his last year, where he had a losing record. what I stated is facts. You can bend them however you want, but K had a better record in Levis' last season than Mahomes (and went to a. bowl) . Fact.

Forget the Big 12 Bullshit, the kid has proved he is a top QB in the NFL! You think KC thought he was overrated because he played in the Big 12???
But coming into the draft he hadn't proved that. I think a lot of teams did. Trubisky and 2 RBs went before he went at 10. KC gambled on him because of the upside (just like Buffalo did with Allen and someone will with Levis) and it paid off. It may or may not with Levis. But you're still acting as though you're confused here when you aren't.

He better go to team with a good offensive line and running game or it's going to go down hill real fast, but he made the right decision and is going to be a top 1-15 pick in the NFL. Good luck to him.

But coming into the draft he hadn't proved that. I think a lot of teams did. Trubisky and 2 RBs went before he went at 10. KC gambled on him because of the upside (just like Buffalo did with Allen and someone will with Levis) and it paid off. It may or may not with Levis. But you're still acting as though you're confused here when you aren't.
That happens all the time, son. Think of Tom Brady, the best in the history of the game taken in the 6th rd!

Will you just go back and read the comments about Tim Coach; then take a shower and "jerk off.' It will get you off this board for an hour of so.

• Wow
Reactions: Obliviax
Will you just go back and read the comments about Tim Coach; then take a shower and "jerk off.' It will get you off this board for an hour of so.
Dude, you need a cup of coffee and to learn to chill out a little. Just because you don't know anything about Tim Couch it is no reason to take it out on me.

I think his comment was directed at Lando, not you.
??? I never said anything about Couch
And I'm rarely here these days as the board is slow...just people pretending Penn State basketball is good and angry Levis is considered to be better than Clifford

Reviving this post back to Levis and Clifford. I happened to catch a snippet from one of these NFL draft pundits. Apparently there are questions about Levis's decision making. I think it simply boils down to the guy is 6'3" or close to that 240 with a big arm and he is golden. He has decent mobility and that may be another thing propping him up. A guy with durable size who can run. He is not Mahomes or Hurts or Fields but may be more mobile than Burrow and I think for sure Herbert. He is probably equally mobile to Allen and even Pickett. His so so performance on the field seems to be deprioritized, overlooked, forgiven, explained away whatever you call it.

I still can't believe he is this far ahead of Clifford. I guess the other way to look at it is why is Clifford not even draftable as opposed to why is Levis a first rounder? I would evaluate them much more together but I am clearly no scout.

An earlier post suggested that the PSU system was much better suited for Clifford. How so? And was the Kentucky system so significantly different than PSU's? Levis did not think the QB competition was really open. He was interviewed in Feb '21 and admitted that 2020 was frustrating because his lack of opportunities despite Clifford struggling. Franklin and company wanted him to be more of a runner. That seems odd and a talent evaluation miss given what we know now. You wonder if Yurcich would have had the gravitas to tell Franklin that Levis needs to have a real shot vs Clifford going into the '21 season. He never had the chance.

So that brings me to what is so bad about Clifford that he can't get a sniff from the NFL and Levis is a first rounder? Franklin clearly sees them as being close if not Clifford better. Is the arm strength that different? Clifford I think is an inch shorter and probably 25 pounds lighter. Is that a massive difference? I think he goes 6'2" 215. Big enough and good mobility. Is it that Clifford is viewed as not able to operate in an NFL offensive system? I know Clifford had his struggles but wondering why he is not even considered an NFL prospect remotely close to Levis?

Reviving this post back to Levis and Clifford. I happened to catch a snippet from one of these NFL draft pundits. Apparently there are questions about Levis's decision making. I think it simply boils down to the guy is 6'3" or close to that 240 with a big arm and he is golden. He has decent mobility and that may be another thing propping him up. A guy with durable size who can run. He is not Mahomes or Hurts or Fields but may be more mobile than Burrow and I think for sure Herbert. He is probably equally mobile to Allen and even Pickett. His so so performance on the field seems to be deprioritized, overlooked, forgiven, explained away whatever you call it.

I still can't believe he is this far ahead of Clifford. I guess the other way to look at it is why is Clifford not even draftable as opposed to why is Levis a first rounder? I would evaluate them much more together but I am clearly no scout.

An earlier post suggested that the PSU system was much better suited for Clifford. How so? And was the Kentucky system so significantly different than PSU's? Levis did not think the QB competition was really open. He was interviewed in Feb '21 and admitted that 2020 was frustrating because his lack of opportunities despite Clifford struggling. Franklin and company wanted him to be more of a runner. That seems odd and a talent evaluation miss given what we know now. You wonder if Yurcich would have had the gravitas to tell Franklin that Levis needs to have a real shot vs Clifford going into the '21 season. He never had the chance.

So that brings me to what is so bad about Clifford that he can't get a sniff from the NFL and Levis is a first rounder? Franklin clearly sees them as being close if not Clifford better. Is the arm strength that different? Clifford I think is an inch shorter and probably 25 pounds lighter. Is that a massive difference? I think he goes 6'2" 215. Big enough and good mobility. Is it that Clifford is viewed as not able to operate in an NFL offensive system? I know Clifford had his struggles but wondering why he is not even considered an NFL prospect remotely close to Levis?
Levis was here prior to Yurcich and we were still running a heavy RPO McSorely style offense…..which is far from Levis’s style. He is too slow of foot or quick read/decision for that O. Had he stayed he may have been far more successful under Yurcich.

Is he a 1st rounder? I don’t see it either but the NFL is full of egos that think that they cut a diamond out of any stone. Lots of 1st rounders never succeed. “Coach him up” is their mantra.

Clifford doesn’t have the arm strength for the NFL. At least, he never showed it here. Perhaps his injuries hampered him as did the poor o line. Hopefully, he will get a shot, be healthy and strong, and become a successful NFL QB.

Levis definitely has the better arm. Clifford was a better decision-maker IMO.
Coaches simply see Levis as someone with untapped potential that could be great. No one, not even our fan base, believes that about Clifford. Clifford has a solid career but many are happy he's moving on and we can see Allar if we're being honest.

Yeah right, Manning was done at the age of 37. How many SB did he and his brother win???
Brady played on better teams. He does have a bunch of Super Bowl wins but most are illegitimate. He is an all time great but that is it. He played a very high level for a very long time but was never the best QB in the league at any point during his career. That makes him Cal Ripken, not the GOAT.

Last edited:
Just when you think you’ve read the most ridiculous thing you could imagine, a poster doubles down and makes a more irrational and idiotic statement.

I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Brady played on better teams. He does have a bunch of Super Bowl wins but most are illegitimate. He is an all time great but that is it. He played a very high level for a very long time but was never the best QB in the league at any point during his career. That makes him Cal Ripken, not the GOAT.
Brady leads All Time in Completions 7,753, Passing Yards 89,214, Wins 251, Pro Bowls 15, and Super Bowl Wins 7. Mannings don't come close!

I would never draft Levis in the first round, however, the Niners traded up to draft for traits over production, that was my only point. In the NBA they have to, you don't in the NFL. Typically the NfL drafts after seeing good production and then determining if the traits will translate to the NFL.
Saw an interesting mock draft with commentary. Forgot who it was. In any event, he said drafting Levis was a risk/reward scenario in that he may be the next Josh Allen or the next Tim Tebow. Probably a very accurate analysis.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
7-2 in Super Bowl wins which is the ultimate metric is not close at all.
Which is a team number. Bradshaw was 4-0 does that make him better since he never lost?
Do you think Peyton doesn't win titles in NE or Tampa?
Look at Elway--he never had the supporting cast until the end of his career. Marino only had it early. It's not just about rings. That ignores every other aspect.
I have no issue with saying Brady is undisputedly the best but, yes, Peyton is "close" even if you consider it a wide gap.

You have no basis other than Levis’ complaints to claim that he was never given a chance at PSU. The fact is he had 3 years to beat out Clifford and he couldn’t. Period. Clifford’s stats at PSU the past 2 years were better than Levis at Kentucky. I understand that the NFL is infatuated with Levis because of his arm, size and running ability. I hope he succeeds in the NFL but my interest as a PSU fan is who is the best option at QB for the Lions. That was Clifford.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT