ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

I'm kind of paranoid after what Cass did to Kerk last year (even though it's not apples to apples) with all the "Dean would DEFINITELY beat Warner, he'd BRUTALIZE him from the top position and maybe even bonus him" ... tread lightly is what I say.
I don't even like typing the name Tanner Sloan but I do sometimes just to check myself

• Haha
Reactions: js8793
Warner is talented, no doubt. His style does not excite me, but he is tough in any given prospective matchup. But it appears his challenge has been to stay “on” psychologically throughout the duration of a tough tournament. We all know this. And it is why he is seldom a serious consideration for the finals.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Warner is talented, no doubt. His style does not excite me, but he is tough in any given prospective matchup. But it appears his challenge has been to stay “on” psychologically throughout the duration of a tough tournament. We all know this. And it is why he is seldom a serious consideration for the finals.
This hasn't been a problem for a while. He came back extremely strong from adversity, both within the Reenan match and the consolation bracket.

He's not flashy and sometimes wrestles to the level of his competition, but he's legit and I would be shocked if he got bonused by anybody this year. He's super hard to score on and he'll be a lot bigger than Dean.

This hasn't been a problem for a while. He came back extremely strong from adversity, both within the Reenan match and the consolation bracket.

He's not flashy and sometimes wrestles to the level of his competition, but he's legit and I would be shocked if he got bonused by anybody this year. He's super hard to score on and he'll be a lot bigger than Dean.
Idk, man — what has he had, 2 significant tourneys since his quarterfinal upset loss to Rasheed in the 2020 B1Gs? If you think the pattern has been broken for a while, I’m not going to quibble over it much. We agree he is tough to score on and should finish near the top. I think either Beard or Dean can beat him, just like I think he could beat either of those guys. Depends on which guys show up.

Reactions: VRE
Idk, man — what has he had, 2 significant tourneys since his quarterfinal upset loss to Rasheed in the 2020 B1Gs? If you think the pattern has been broken for a while, I’m not going to quibble over it much. We agree he is tough to score on and should finish near the top. I think either Beard or Dean can beat him, just like I think he could beat either of those guys. Depends on which guys show up.
he's 2/2 placing at ncaa's and had to do so on the backside each time. i don't think you can say he struggles on the backside, at least as a serious issue.

he's 2/2 placing at ncaa's and had to do so on the backside each time. i don't think you can say he struggles on the backside, at least as a serious issue.
I didn’t say that and had no intention of doing so. He does have a history (prior to 2021) of being upset on the frontside of the bigger tournaments, which is why I said he is seldom a serious consideration for the finals. The infamous “Why am I like this?!” outburst doesn’t do much to disprove the notion that psychological hurdles have been significant.

He may be past that now. More data will tell. But like I said, we agree he is tough to score on, and I see no reason to believe at this point in time that a prospective match vs. Dean/Beard is anything but a tossup. I happen to like our guys, but would not be surprised by any outcome other than a TF or MD.

I didn’t say that and had no intention of doing so. He does have a history (prior to 2021) of being upset on the frontside of the bigger tournaments, which is why I said he is seldom a serious consideration for the finals. The infamous “Why am I like this?!” outburst doesn’t do much to disprove the notion that psychological hurdles have been significant.

He may be past that now. More data will tell. But like I said, we agree he is tough to score on, and I see no reason to believe at this point in time that a prospective match vs. Dean/Beard is anything but a tossup. I happen to like our guys, but would not be surprised by any outcome other than a TF or MD.
i think we're basically in agreement. i expect a close match.

Reactions: slushhead
Since Warner became a conversation I had to go back and watch that first round bout from last year's NCAAs.
That was a first class screwing done to Reenan. That particular official coming off the mat should have had his whistle and license confiscated and been ordered to apologize to Reenan.

Since Warner became a conversation I had to go back and watch that first round bout from last year's NCAAs.
That was a first class screwing done to Reenan. That particular official coming off the mat should have had his whistle and license confiscated and been ordered to apologize to Reenan.

dramatic-cry.gif

I actually didn't complain too much about the Reenan match. Out of principle, yes, Warner should have lost probably. The 3 point takedown was suspect but alas, I digress on that match. Main reason I don't complain from a team race perspective is because Warner has shown to be pretty reliable on the backside (twice to AA as you mentioned and he clearly was ready to go after losing to Shak at Big Tens in 2020). His path would have been

Coleman
Aiello
Penola
Buchanan (beat him at NCAAs)
Likely Caffey/Davison (beat both at NCAAs) or Reenan (hard to imagine he gets headlocked again) a second time
Woodley (beat him at NCAAs)

All likelihood, he gets back to where he originally ended.

I'm struggling to keep up with wrestling this year...life has been extremely crazy. I decided to take the time to read all 8 pages of this thread because I'm excited about the prospects of getting Warner and Marinelli, err, I mean Hildebrant.
You're not seriously surprised another thread has turned into an Iowa discussion, are you?? It's what we do.

I actually didn't complain too much about the Reenan match. Out of principle, yes, Warner should have lost probably. The 3 point takedown was suspect but alas, I digress on that match. Main reason I don't complain from a team race perspective is because Warner has shown to be pretty reliable on the backside (twice to AA as you mentioned and he clearly was ready to go after losing to Shak at Big Tens in 2020). His path would have been

Coleman
Aiello
Penola
Buchanan (beat him at NCAAs)
Likely Caffey/Davison (beat both at NCAAs) or Reenan (hard to imagine he gets headlocked again) a second time
Woodley (beat him at NCAAs)

All likelihood, he gets back to where he originally ended.
Reliable on the backside = reliably on the backside.

I believe it was said in another thread or this one but I still cant figure why Brands burned Ybarra's shirt if Lee might return. Ybarra could have just done unattached tournaments protecting the shirt and then if they really needed him later, use him and all those wins during tournaments towards his record. To me Brands is impulsive, whereas Coach Sanderson will wrestle Facundo at tournaments until he is ready to burn the shirt. Ybarra could be a special kid, don't burn his shirt for nothing. Unless he knows Spencer is sitting the year and not telling anyone.

• Haha
I believe it was said in another thread or this one but I still cant figure why Brands burned Ybarra's shirt if Lee might return. Ybarra could have just done unattached tournaments protecting the shirt and then if they really needed him later, use him and all those wins during tournaments towards his record. To me Brands is impulsive, whereas Coach Sanderson will wrestle Facundo at tournaments until he is ready to burn the shirt. Ybarra could be a special kid, don't burn his shirt for nothing. Unless he knows Spencer is sitting the year and not telling anyone.
Insiders are saying that Lee ducked Ybarra at the wrestle offs 🤓

That's not true. Most of the Iowa stuff starts with your own fans. Not that it matters much.

Wrong, majority of the Iowa-related posts in this thread are posted by Iowa defenders. Your notion that a PSU fan can't make a comment about an Iowa wrestler while posting in the thread without Iowa defenders turning it into post after post defending Iowa is silly. 99% of PSU posters on this board are not participating in the propagation of the Iowa-related posts (in a non-Iowa subject thread) that have now become the vast majority of the posts in this thread. You're completely full of shit, as per usual, that it is PSU fans propagating the vast majority of the Iowa-related posts.

This seems so not mysterious to me. 1. Lee is on a pitch count. 2. There is no clear path to the starting lineup for Ybarra in future years. 3. Filling in this year in the matches Lee sits out might be Ybarra’s only shot at regular varsity action at Iowa.

I like to criticize Tom Brands as much as the next guy, but this seems like a young man who wants to be a Hawkeye making a very rational decision about his best path to some starts.

Wrong, majority of the Iowa-related posts in this thread are posted by Iowa defenders. Your notion that a PSU fan can't make a comment about an Iowa wrestler while posting in the thread without Iowa defenders turning it into post after post defending Iowa is silly. 99% of PSU posters on this board are not participating in the propagation of the Iowa-related posts (in a non-Iowa subject thread) that have now become the vast majority of the posts in this thread. You're completely full of shit, as per usual, that it is PSU fans propagating the vast majority of the Iowa-related posts.
99%? Where did you get that stat? Can you name me 6 Iowa fans that post here regularly? I bet you get to 3 or 4 and slow way down.

Most of the Iowa related talk (good or bad) on this board starts with PSU posters. It's the truth I'm sticking to it. The few Iowa fans here often react to threads or topics that are or turn into talk about Iowa wrestlers/coaches/ the state/corn you name it. Like i said it's not a big deal and not worth arguing about. I'm moving on.

Maybe Ybarra doesn’t want to be or see himself in college past 4 years. There’s wrestlers out there that turned down their free year to return. Also have guys wrestling for Penn State that won’t be here 5-6 years.

Hildebrandt is obviously enrolled in some kind of classes at PSU (he's in the directory), Willie has him as our 125 in his crystal ball, Victory Bell Rings says they have word that he's joining PSU, Cael even ominously hinted at our 125 coming from the portal. So yeah, while nothing is "official", I imagine they're holding off until he's able to be rostered after what happened with Evan Wick. So not much to share so in typical BWI fashion, what we do is take his thread off the rails (which I am guilty of lmao)

As for how he's training, who knows, nobody seems to believe he's with the team at NLWC yet but I think we need to trust that he's working with Cael to at least be in shape if he's planning on wrestling next year. Keep in mind, he just decided to unretire this month so between starting workouts again, getting into school and moving to State College, it'll take some time. My guess would be we get official word next month.

Reactions: Jplions4
All due respect to Ybarra (know he's close with RBY) but I think the results from the last year show he's definitely the odd man out at the lower weights for Iowa. Just hasn't developed since high school it seems. He went 1-2 at Junior Nationals, wrestled 2 D3 kids to regular decision at Luther Open and just went to SV to the Army kid Baylor beat 8-4 last week. I'm sure Brands ran it by him and his family before pulling the redshirt to be a spot dual guy. If he redshirted this year then he's not even wrestling duals next year as Ayala and Schriever are going. Hell, there's a chance Schriever is pushed out as Jesuroga goes in and Ayala goes up and they have Henson sitting at 141.

Bottom line, you can argue he's wasting a year of eligibility by wrestling duals and then Spencer being the man at NCAAs but maybe he is willing to make that trade (like some said, maybe he doesn't plan to be in school forever)

I have seen some biased and bad officiating but this was up there with the worst of them:

did you get banned from HR for your disgusting comment the other day? since we’re on the topic of clowns
I did post my 4 most likely to repeat and 4 most likely to not repeat. I also posted a response to Trump being clueless, but immediately deleted the post. Those would be my only posts over there in quite a while.

But please, do tell. What disgusting comment have you attributed to me?

I did post my 4 most likely to repeat and 4 most likely to not repeat. I also posted a response to Trump being clueless, but immediately deleted the post. Those would be my only posts over there in quite a while.

But please, do tell. What disgusting comment have you attributed to me?
your response to the trump comment was a lewd sexual comment about a congresswoman.

your response to the trump comment was a lewd sexual comment about a congresswoman.
I am impressed. I deleted it quickly. Glad to know you monitor my posts that closely. With that said I deleted it because initially I thought I was giving an opinion on Greene, not a Congresswoman with.a brain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT