ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

Why do people mistake would of for would have?
When you say would of instead of would have, you’re substituting the preposition of for the auxiliary verb have, which is grammatically incorrect.
Background: A small, dainty, first-year, female student was roaming around the campus of Harvard University and looked lost. A tall male upperclassmen approached her.

Upperclassman: “Excuse me miss, but you appear to be lost. May I be of assistance to you?”

Female: “Yes, you can help me. Can you please tell me where the library is at?”

Upperclassman: “Young lady, we here at Harvard University never end a sentence in a preposition!”

Female: “Allow me to rephrase my question. Would you please tell me where the library is at asshole!”

I don't want to sound outlandish, but if we don't hear of Hildebrandt in SC after Thanksgiving rolling around in the NLWC getting into fighting shape, might that mean he is still, just an insurance policy? Maybe, just maybe, Nicky pushups is still in play. Just sayin.
I don't think Nicky is coming to State College but usually only about 60/40 on my guessing on this board. Lol

Have a question. With shortened covid year and the free year could it be possible that Drew is looking to use his last year of eligibility next season instead of this year? I'm admittedly not versed in all the rules when it comes to eligibility.

If so, maybe Nicky is still coming to PSU this year and Drew will man 133 next season..

I don't think Nicky is coming to State College but usually only about 60/40 on my guessing on this board. Lol

Have a question. With shortened covid year and the free year could it be possible that Drew is looking to use his last year of eligibility next season instead of this year? I'm admittedly not versed in all the rules when it comes to eligibility.

If so, maybe Nicky is still coming to PSU this year and Drew will man 133 next season..

I don't think that would be possible. This would have to be his redshirt year, but he already used his RS in 2016-17.

Have a question. With shortened covid year and the free year could it be possible that Drew is looking to use his last year of eligibility next season instead of this year?

I don't think so. Drew graduated last year and by some accounts has been out of wrestling since. It's more likely we came calling with an attractive offer.

Likewise, even with a few remaining gaps in the lineup, we presumably don't need him next year. Iowa will be rebuilding and significantly weaker and most pundits are projecting PSU as very heavy favorites.

I suspect his primary focus after this year is his graduate degree and we probably have given him a little financial assistance this year. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him limit his PSU grad program to one semester and then bolt.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I don't think so. Drew graduated last year and by some accounts has been out of wrestling since. It's more likely we came calling with an attractive offer.

Likewise, even with a few remaining gaps in the lineup, we presumably don't need him next year. Iowa will be significant weaker and most pundits are projecting PSU as very heavy favorites.

I suspect his primary focus after this year is his graduate degree and we probably have given him a little financial assistance this year. I also wouldn't be shocked to see him limit his PSU grad program to one semester and then bolt.
Willie did 2023 projections and had us 30 points in the lead with nothing outrageous in predictions.

RoHo - 5
No 133
Bartlett - 2
SVN - 6
No 157
Facundo - 5
CStar - 1
Brooks - 1
Dean - 6
Kerk - 4

He also teased us and said he has a suspicion that RBY might reconsider not coming back

Willie did 2023 projections and had us 30 points in the lead with nothing outrageous in predictions.

RoHo - 5
No 133
Bartlett - 2
SVN - 6
No 157
Facundo - 5
CStar - 1
Brooks - 1
Dean - 6
Kerk - 4

He also teased us and said he has a suspicion that RBY might reconsider not coming back

Let's start a BWI NLI fundraiser payable to RBY in March of 2023 at the conclusion of the tourney. A small sacrifice to host his smiling picture here for the 22/23 season.

Let's start a BWI NLI fundraiser payable to RBY in March of 2023 at the conclusion of the tourney. A small sacrifice to host his smiling picture here for the next year and a half.
Correct, I think RBY said something about playing it by ear so I guess he left the door open. I won't count on it but I can see him not wanting to go out without a team title if we don't win this year (something he's only tasted once so far and not as one of the faces of the team)

Reactions: Jplions4
Correct, I think RBY said something about playing it by ear so I guess he left the door open. I won't count on it but I can see him not wanting to go out without a team title if we don't win this year (something he's only tasted once so far and not as one of the faces of the team)
Depending on the aid package for RBY, he could come back. Just wrestle the spring semester and Cael gives him a lot of scholarship money...

Depending on the aid package for RBY, he could come back. Just wrestle the spring semester and Cael gives him a lot of scholarship money...
Yup ... I'm sure Cael will be in his ear. I think a big thing is RBY has never been the face of a title team here, which I'm sure was one of the things he was hoping for when he committed. Gable declared he's done with college wrestling early last season ... he followed up by winning Olympic Gold and then signing with WWE which should have only furthered his decision but he opted to come back when there's nothing to prove and there's not much Minnesota is going to do team wise with or without him either.

Once again, not counting on it obviously.

RoHo - 5
No 133
Bartlett - 2
SVN - 6
No 157
Facundo - 5
CStar - 1
Brooks - 1
Dean - 6
Kerk - 4

RoHo bounces to 133? Steen goes at 125 and still have JLee at 157... There is + points with that lineup.

Hildebrandt? consensus seems to be that he won’t be able to join the team until the spring semester starts in January.
Semester starts or when this one ends? You don’t usually need to wait for the start, just enrolled for the next. Unless there is another reason he would be later.

If I missed it in the thread earlier, lmk.

Semester starts or when this one ends? You don’t usually need to wait for the start, just enrolled for the next. Unless there is another reason he would be later.

If I missed it in the thread earlier, lmk.
Thanks for clarifying.

What would the rules be if he isn't enrolled. He'd be able to practice with NLWC but not the team?
I don't understand how that works.
Thanks in advance.
And not sure who needs to hear this but "Wear your harness"

So...is he on the team? Or, is he not on the team?
Nobody knows for sure at this point. There's been no official announcement. Coaches aren't saying anything (no surprise). We're waiting to see if maybe he just magically appears someday and starts wrestling. Until then, we will have a question mark at 125 (again, no surprise).

What would the rules be if he isn't enrolled. He'd be able to practice with NLWC but not the team?
I don't understand how that works.
Thanks in advance.
And not sure who needs to hear this but "Wear your harness"
Can't see any reason he wouldn't be able to practice with NLWC, provided he's in State College. Nick, Joe, and Matt Lee all practiced with NLWC while still in high school. Beard did while grayshirting. Etc.

Can't see any reason he wouldn't be able to practice with NLWC, provided he's in State College. Nick, Joe, and Matt Lee all practiced with NLWC while still in high school. Beard did while grayshirting. Etc.

Yeah I am sure we will hear of Hildabeast sightings soon after January 2nd, but to be honest, having no idea what he is doing right now does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Wherever he is and whatever he is doing does not equate to scraping with ranked kids on the mat.

He can be on a proper decent plan working the cardio, running, etc... But it takes months of grapling to get into proper tournament wrestling shape. Plus there is the issue of getting in enough 'wins' to get an advantageous seed.

It is not like he majored his way through the tourney last year. In the Blood round and beyond the difference between winning and losing can be razor thin.

No question he represents our best bird-in-the-hand option so far, but I just as easily could see him get 16th as say 4th-8th which is what I think everyone is counting on him delivering.

I would have felt much more confident if there were sightings in the NLWC two weeks ago.

I have no knowledge as to what Drew has been up to. However, if he happens to be anywhere near his sister, I’m sure he has access to world-class training opportunities. I suppose it’s possible that Drew or Cael have completely overlooked the notion of getting him into shape before competing—but only possible in that way that leads to credibility for flat Earthers, etc.

I understand fans wanting to know every detail right now—but there is absolutely zero obligation for anyone to tell us anything.

Last edited:
dean could definitely beat warner, but warner is super underrated. he had a very nice tourny last year, only losing to ferrari and amine. he handled bonnacorsi right before the season. i think he would have been in the finals on the other side.
I'm probably thinking of someone else, however, wasn't Warner the guy who was "pinned", however a "no call". Yes, the previous statement is an oxymoron!!!! This was in an early round.
Warner always seems to keep it close enough to pull it out. Strategy.
Jmo.

While I am at it here is an interesting side note.

Assuming he is in blue and white Jan 2nd, who do you send him out against in big 10 play, in order to 'protect' his seed? Does he go against Heinselmen?

It will be very interesting to see the 3d chess between Cael and Tommy. I think Cael toses him out against Spencer even though it will hurt his seed, but will Brands do the same?

Continue to protect Spencer and limit him to 7 matches or give him a go against good talent and the risk injury? If Iowa sits Spencer that could be anywhere from a 6-9 team point swing in the dual, which I think is too much for Tom to handle emotionally.

Last edited:
  • Haha
dean could definitely beat warner, but warner is super underrated. he had a very nice tourny last year, only losing to ferrari and amine. he handled bonnacorsi right before the season. i think he would have been in the finals on the other side.
As I said, we’ll see. Last year’s 197 bracket was a weird as it gets, and Warner’s highest seeded win was over an 8. We all know the deal - he has to keep it together upstairs. More faces in there this year.

While I am at it here is an interesting side note.

Assuming he is in blue and white Jan 2nd, who do you send him out against in big 10 play, in order to 'protect' his seed? Does he go against Heinselmen?

It will be very interesting to see the 3d chess between Cael and Tommy. I think Cael toses him out against Spencer even though it will hurt his seed, but will Brands do the same?

Continue to protect Spencer and limit him to 7 matches or give him a go against good talent and the risk injury? If Iowa sits Spencer that could be anywhere from a 6-12 team point swing in the dual, which I think is too much for Tom to handle emotionally.
Iowa already burned Ayala's shirt so if Spencer can't go it isn't like the Hawks would be throwing a rag doll out onto the mat.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT