ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

If Marinelli wrestled for our fan base, he would be a fan favorite because of his toughness and drive. His losses and short comings would be looked at different. He's good but has run into some hot wrestlers in the NCAAs.
I’m not so sure about that. Our fan base was ready to give up on Joe Lee and Michael Beard after one disappointing NCAAs performance. And that was in the craziness that was their covid shortened freshman season that didn’t even count towards their eligibility.

If Marinelli wrestled for our fan base, he would be a fan favorite because of his toughness and drive. His losses and short comings would be looked at different. He's good but has run into some hot wrestlers in the NCAAs.
Of course. No one is disputing that. We already have our very own in Morgan McIntosh. But that was not the point.

I’m not so sure about that. Our fan base was ready to give up on Joe Lee and Michael Beard after one disappointing NCAAs performance. And that was in the craziness that was their covid shortened freshman season that didn’t even count towards their eligibility.
I disagree, Marinelli wrestles like Matt Brown who was a fan favorite. Too many on this board expect every wrestler on team to never have flaws or weaknesses. Our overall success has created a unrealistic expectation for every wrestler.
Trust me, I was frustrated watching Joe Lee last year. Marinelli gives you a great effort every match and the fan base would recognize that.

Back to Hildebrandt! Getting an AA out of the transfer portal at this late date could very well be the difference in the team race. That and significant bonus point improvement from Starocci and Brooks among other factors.

LFG!!!

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: TILTER88 and pish69

PSU fans were disappointed with Beard AA’ing out of the 15 seed?

PSU fans were disappointed with Beard AA’ing out of the 15 seed?
Yes, many were. There was a lot of talk about his draw breaking wide open. He only had to beat the #20 seed to make the semifinals. Ect ect.

Post on HR:

“165: Marinelli might be the only guy who can beat Kennedy this year at 165.”

Well, and the 5-6 guys who annually place higher than the Bull
Well, in fairness, outside of Midlands who is Kennedy going to face this year?

But even that falls on its face: Wick, Wentzel, and Hartman will all be at Midlands.

Beard did nothing but win and people are still complaining, christ some of you are as bad as those over on HR
Relax dude and stop swearing. People are feeling strongly not because Beard was not winning. They feel that there is something not right with him in order to give it his best.

I don't yet see Hildebrandt on the team roster. And FRL was talking today as if H. isn't yet on the team. Am I missing something or out of the loop here? Is FRL right or wrong? Someone claimed earlier that H. is enrolled at PSU ... but is that for the spring semester?

Here's the link I was looking at:

Apparently, he is enrolled at PSU World Campus which is online school. Perhaps he is taking some classes to be admitted or qualify for a graduate program next semester. No official
Announcement and not yet on the roster.

He’s enrolled in World Campus (online) right now. My guess is, he’s building credits while working on admissions to the grad program of his choosing.

Yep. Online for now, maybe not even a full load. Hopefully he can relocate to SC and at least start rumbling around in the NLWC for a couple of months. Just because he was 4th last year doesn't mean he can return to that level without a full season's work. Still much better than a non-qual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lovethissport
Didn't he also retire shortly after NCAAs? You have to think he hasn't been on the mat much or in any sort of training environment the last 6+ months. Sooner he can get to SC the better for PSU and working off the rust.

fair enough. but i also have RBY 2nd and Abe higher than anyone in the country.

there will be some changes to PSU's lineup and prognostications coming next week based on new info.
following up on this a bit after listening to your crystal ball show (great show btw). you and corby seemed to agree that hildebrandt was in his own tier between the top guys and guys like courtney, latona, lamont, etc...and i don't get that at all. who has he beaten to be in his own tier?

compare him to courtney for example. courtney outplaced him and his best win last year was lamont. Hildebrandt lost a second time on the backside and his best win is latona, who then lost to lamont for 5th. to me, every metric would favor courtney in this comparison.

i think hildebrandt is in the same tier as everyone from 4-12ish. his record the last two years looks elite, but that's because he wrestled a weak schedule at cmu. he was 31-3 in 2020, but didn't have a top 15 win. every year he has a loss or losses to guys outside the top 10.

Reactions: WildTurk
lmao beard was an aa. you all would be fired up about him and predicting a finals run if you didn't bring in dean. joe lee gave you a full season full of reasons to give up on him, not just one bad weekend.

Reactions: WildTurk
following up on this a bit after listening to your crystal ball show (great show btw). you and corby seemed to agree that hildebrandt was in his own tier between the top guys and guys like courtney, latona, lamont, etc...and i don't get that at all. who has he beaten to be in his own tier?

compare him to courtney for example. courtney outplaced him and his best win last year was lamont. Hildebrandt lost a second time on the backside and his best win is latona, who then lost to lamont for 5th. to me, every metric would favor courtney in this comparison.

i think hildebrandt is in the same tier as everyone from 4-12ish. his record the last two years looks elite, but that's because he wrestled a weak schedule at cmu. he was 31-3 in 2020, but didn't have a top 15 win. every year he has a loss or losses to guys outside the top 10.
I didn't listen to the show yesterday but I would agree with your assessment that Hildebrandt isn't his own tier if that's what Willie said and agree with your pairing of 4 through 12.

Iowa fans also keep flipping out that he has Bartlett AA'ing and demands he remove it basically. That's Willie's projection of where Beau will be in March, not where he is in November.

Matt Brown wasn’t a top 5 P4P recruit like Marinelli. He also placed over his seed at NCAAs (several times probably, I’m not looking it up).
I recall, from Matt Brown’s book, that he had made a trip east and made an impromptu visit to Penn State before Cael was Coach. (I think his father is an alum.) Was basically told his services weren’t needed. But Cael was recruiting him to Iowa State after seeing him at a camp and still wanted him at Penn State after his 2-year mission. I think Matt was set to join the Army but changed to Iowa State (and then Penn State) at the last minute.

I think I have that right. It seemed Cael was alone in seeing something in him.

I recall, from Matt Brown’s book, that he had made a trip east and made an impromptu visit to Penn State before Cael was Coach. (I think his father is an alum.) Was basically told his services weren’t needed. But Cael was recruiting him to Iowa State after seeing him at a camp and still wanted him at Penn State after his 2-year mission. I think Matt was set to join the Army but changed to Iowa State (and then Penn State) at the last minute.

I think I have that right. It seemed Cael was alone in seeing something in him.

He didn't actually change his mind as he went to Iowa State for a year while Cael was still the coach there, redshirted, and then went on a two year mission and when he came back Cael was the coach at PSU so Matt decided he would follow Cael.

I think you are right about Cael being the only coach that saw his potential.

Reactions: mcpat
I don't want to sound outlandish, but if we don't hear of Hildebrandt in SC after Thanksgiving rolling around in the NLWC getting into fighting shape, might that mean he is still, just an insurance policy? Maybe, just maybe, Nicky pushups is still in play. Just sayin.

I don't want to sound outlandish, but if we don't hear of Hildebrandt in SC after Thanksgiving rolling around in the NLWC getting into fighting shape, might that mean he is still, just an insurance policy? Maybe, just maybe, Nicky pushups is still in play. Just sayin.
At this point i think for Suriano it’s down to Iowa state and Michigan. In my opinion if nick decides to stay in wrestling 3 more years post college for the 24 Olympics he would choose Michigan. And if that’s the case i could see him wrestling for Italy.
I gotta think PSU is off the table and they are committed to Drew

Reactions: Raw Daddy
At this point i think for Suriano it’s down to Iowa state and Michigan. In my opinion if nick decides to stay in wrestling 3 more years post college for the 24 Olympics he would choose Michigan. And if that’s the case i could see him wrestling for Italy.
I gotta think PSU is off the table and they are committed to Drew
As of this morning's show, Willie & Corby say PSU is still on the table.

Reactions: nitlion6

tbh i don't recall saying. i must have been high!

i don't feel he's in his own tier.

there's so much parity after the top couple guys.

i feel like 125 at ncaa's was sort of an aberration. as in, if you wrestled that bracket again you could have wildly different results and AA's other than Spencer.

Reactions: js8793
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT