ADVERTISEMENT

Here Comes The Pain: Penn State Began Cuts In Athletics

Penn State has team buses. Those buses are cleansed before the team boards. Having the members of one of our teams board a PSU team bus is basically like having the team hang out at Lasch or the team lounge.

the university does not have team buses. The buses used by the sports teams to travel are chartered from the Fullington bus company.

Have the schools charter planes....it would be more costly, but not as costly as losing an entire football season.
For football, yes, but I think earlier in the thread people were talking about non-revenue sports using buses, which I think makes sense.

the university does not have team buses. The buses used by the sports teams to travel are chartered from the Fullington bus company.

That's what I mean. When a PSU sports team uses a bus that bus is chartered and only PSU team is on the bus... that's what I meant by "team bus". I just did not go into details. But when the PSU Volleyball team is taking a bus to Rutgers, or Maryland or Columbus... for a match, that is a dedicated "Penn State bus". It is not making stops in Bellefonte, Phillipsburg, Harrisburg, Johnstown.... to pick up more passengers.

That is a bus that Fullington has reserved for Penn State. The night before or the morning of departure that bus can be dis-infected per all the CDC guidelines. As the team members board the bus, they can have their temperatures checked in the parking lot before boarding the bus.

It can be a way to travel as a team and still have a great deal of isolation.

It may require numerous games/meets/matches vs. common opponents. Like I said, PSU-Iowa, PSU-MN, PSU-Nebraska.... in non-revenue sports may be scraped. We may see 3 or 4 games vs. Ohio State or Rutgers or maryland instead.

Strongly disagree, assuming the policy decisions are based on the science and not on "optics".

Yeah, may have posted based on my initial outrage instead of thinking it thru! :cool: However, we will have to wait and see how it effects the professional athletes that are infected. I read where a scout for the Diamond backs who had it died from it in the past couple of days.

I think until some leadership steps up(all gov't leaders) and gets a handle on this with all the information that is broadcast and then changed and changed again we really have no choice but to shut down again. There is just too much contradictory information being spewed from every where that we have no idea what the proper protocols should be. If these MLB players that tested positive end up, God help us, dying...I have no doubt that all sports will be canceled until leaders get their heads out their asses and stop with the agendas and do what is right for the citizens(if that is even possible).

Strongly disagree, assuming the policy decisions are based on the science and not on "optics".

I agree. Unfortunately so much of this has become driven by the optics & the media, and not the science. For example, compare the coverage of the 14 Marlins players testing positive today vs. the medical results of those positive tests over the next 14-days. I will bet a mortgage payment, that in 2-weeks when all of those Marlins players are negative and perfectly healthy, we will see zero coverage.

I agree. Unfortunately so much of this has become driven by the optics & the media, and not the science. For example, compare the coverage of the 14 Marlins players testing positive today vs. the medical results of those positive tests over the next 14-days. I will bet a mortgage payment, that in 2-weeks when all of those Marlins players are negative and perfectly healthy, we will see zero coverage.
There is also a lot of new info coming out about what a positive test actually means (i.e. it doesn't necessarily mean you have active virus or are contagious), which means that shutting things down to be conservative with a population of young healthy people gets even MORE conservative to the point of...."uh, what are we trying to do here exactly?"

There is also a lot of new info coming out about what a positive test actually means (i.e. it doesn't necessarily mean you have active virus or are contagious), which means that shutting things down to be conservative with a population of young healthy people gets even MORE conservative to the point of...."uh, what are we trying to do here exactly?"

There is also new data coming out indicating that this virus should have a much earlier starting point than the Jan/Feb timeline commonly used to capture data. A few weeks ago I heard reports that cases of C-19 are reported in the US in October/Nov. You move the data point of this to Oct/Nov and then calculate the key stats and things change. And I heard last week that a few scientists over in Europe are now claiming they can identify C-19 cases in Europe as early as last March.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
There is also new data coming out indicating that this virus should have a much earlier starting point than the Jan/Feb timeline commonly used to capture data. A few weeks ago I heard reports that cases of C-19 are reported in the US in October/Nov. You move the data point of this to Oct/Nov and then calculate the key stats and things change. And I heard last week that a few scientists over in Europe are now claiming they can identify C-19 cases in Europe as early as last March.
Not disagreeing, but how would you interpret the new information on inception timing in the light of CFB season?

I had something nasty at the end of October/November. A flu bug that hit me hard and I normally do not get sick. A cough that lasted a month. Initially high fever and body aches along with the usual cold symptoms.

Reactions: psu7113
Not disagreeing, but how would you interpret the new information on inception timing in the light of CFB season?[/QUOTE

Right n
Not disagreeing, but how would you interpret the new information on inception timing in the light of CFB season?

I think it changes a lot. In light of the CFB season, it would mean we COULD be much closer to herd immunity than commonly believed. Most scientists say that this virus has a 2x spread factor. Meaning that if 1 person is infected they most likely passed it to 2 people.... 2 people would most likely pass to 4 people .... and so on. If we move the starting point up to Oct/Nov instead of Feb 1st, and using the commonly used spread factor of 2x, then this could mean we are closer to herd immunity.

Reactions: bison13
I think it changes a lot. In light of the CFB season, it would mean we COULD be much closer to herd immunity than commonly believed. Most scientists say that this virus has a 2x spread factor. Meaning that if 1 person is infected they most likely passed it to 2 people.... 2 people would most likely pass to 4 people .... and so on. If we move the starting point up to Oct/Nov instead of Feb 1st, and using the commonly used spread factor of 2x, then this could mean we are closer to herd immunity.
Thanks for the clarification.

There are also some new papers out that suggest herd immunity could be functionally achieved at 40% (rather than 70%). It is obviously complicated but I think a lot of the actions taken are based on things other than science.

Reactions: bison13 and psu7113
Count how many people those 14 infected Marlin players interacted with since they landed in Philly and you will get the impact of a highly contagious bug. Including their own teammates who now have to or should quarantine for 14 days.

I have family and colleagues who have had the symptoms of Covid19 back in Oct\Nov last year so it does make me think that it was here way before they thought it was or knew what it was.

Plus there's potentially a large part of the population naturally immune to covid

Penn State has team buses. Those buses are cleansed before the team boards. Having the members of one of our teams board a PSU team bus is basically like having the team hang out at Lasch or the team lounge.
Yes, I am not understanding the sentiment that a plane would be better than a bus, or for that matter, worse. You can't catch the virus from a plane or a bus, right? You catch it from other people. So avoiding people in airports, hotels, restaurants, etc... is the way to go. It seems like a bus ride would help to miniize those encounters.

PSU Dorm Residency has shrunk to an occupancy of only 88%?

I suppose they can use the empty dorm rooms as a C19 triage once the keg parties get rolling in September.
88% is way high. My guess is much closer to 50% or 60% in the end.

Count how many people those 14 infected Marlin players interacted with since they landed in Philly and you will get the impact of a highly contagious bug. Including their own teammates who now have to or should quarantine for 14 days.
So explain something. NY was hit harder than anyone with 30k+ deaths.

Things have now settled down but why? 1 can still spread it to 2, 2 can spread it to 4, etc. So why has it slowed so dramatically?

Are New Yorkers staying home?
Have the subways and buses closed?Have they reached herd immunity?

Yes, I am not understanding the sentiment that a plane would be better than a bus, or for that matter, worse. You can't catch the virus from a plane or a bus, right? You catch it from other people. So avoiding people in airports, hotels, restaurants, etc... is the way to go. It seems like a bus ride would help to miniize those encounters.
Since the virus can only be passed to another person with greater than 15 minute exposure, the driver can also just pull the bus over every 14 minutes and separate for 2 minutes before getting back in. Can't do that with a plane. Simple solution for no spread. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69

No one will debate the infectiousness of the virus. But that just strengthens the argument for being closer to herd immunity. IF this virus was around the US in Oct/Nov (and not just in Jan/Feb), AND we move the starting line up 2-3 months AND we agree that it is very infectious.... then that just means many more people had the virus since the starting point is not + 2/3 months.

We can't say this virus is very infectious.... and then say it did NOT spread from October-Feb.

Reactions: bison13

I did not say either plane or bus was better than the other.... the original OP mentioned that this week would be a huge week for the decision of Fall sports.... I added to the OP that two things I am hearing in regards to the fall schedule:

1. Non-revenue fall sports will either be cancelled OR they will be scaled back to include only opponents for bus travel .... My understanding that this had more to do with financials than medical. Putting teams on buses and having them bus back & forth in a day for a competition is cheaper than flights. Schools are being devastated by the financial impacts of this and they are looking at every way possible to squeeze budgets. No one wants to cancel fall sports... that would suck ... so an alternative being floated is to keep trim schedules down by proximity.

My response had nothing to do with virus safety. The discussion kind of got side-tracked to that.

But if you had to ask me on a separate topic : "Is it easier to regulate the safety of a team traveling on a bus vs. traveling by air" .... I would say the bus trip is easier.

Since the virus can only be passed to another person with greater than 15 minute exposure, the driver can also just pull the bus over every 14 minutes and separate for 2 minutes before getting back in. Can't do that with a plane. Simple solution for no spread. ;)

You serious??? I had not heard this. If that's the case, then why are they making me wear a mask in a Costco. I never spend more than 15 minutes next to someone at a Costco.

Even if a check out line is long, they are usually so efficient it does not take 15 minutes to check out.

So explain something. NY was hit harder than anyone with 30k+ deaths.

Things have now settled down but why? 1 can still spread it to 2, 2 can spread it to 4, etc. So why has it slowed so dramatically?

Are New Yorkers staying home?
Have the subways and buses closed?Have they reached herd immunity?

I think combination of all.

No one will debate the infectiousness of the virus. But that just strengthens the argument for being closer to herd immunity. IF this virus was around the US in Oct/Nov (and not just in Jan/Feb), AND we move the starting line up 2-3 months AND we agree that it is very infectious.... then that just means many more people had the virus since the starting point is not + 2/3 months.

We can't say this virus is very infectious.... and then say it did NOT spread from October-Feb.
I agree with you re: here much earlier. The problem is the level of testing and it’s accuracy as well as timing of results. If results take a week or more then it’s useless.

I think combination of all.
But the subways haven't closed and I really don't think NYers are more disciplined than people in most other parts of the country.

I guess it was a serious but loaded question on my part. I just wonder if everybody has to take a hit until it settles down. NYC was horrible. Same with Belgium, Italy, etc but now things have slowed.

You serious??? I had not heard this. If that's the case, then why are they making me wear a mask in a Costco. I never spend more than 15 minutes next to someone at a Costco.

Even if a check out line is long, they are usually so efficient it does not take 15 minutes to check out.
No not serious. It was stated as fact in another post that was nuked. He claimed that was per CDC but left out the other half of the CDC opinion was.

Bus travel severely down, as all other forms of travel. How hard would it be for PSU to rent nice buses(will be far less expensive than flying), for the fall, disinfect regularly and no one but cleaning crew, drivers and the team personnel ever get anywhere near it. Hell make the driver and/or grad assistant coaches the cleaners. A lot of the what/ifs in this thread pretty easily resolved.

True but that's how it works with everything these days. It's the initial reporting that matters, by the time a correction is made, the world has moved on to the next thing.

PSU Dorm Residency has shrunk to an occupancy of only 88%?

I suppose they can use the empty dorm rooms as a C19 triage once the keg parties get rolling in September.

I think NLI is a designated isolation area.

2 points. 1st point---- I have said this before. If people are wanting to shut down the season if a player test positive for covid, then the season shouldn't even begun because its going to happen. Book it!

2nd point--- Its not a very good look. Shut down the non $$ producing sports and continue with the $$$$ producing sports. What does this mean? Well I believe we all know.

Let me throw this in, it is just a matter of time before the season is scrapped.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT