ADVERTISEMENT

Here Comes The Pain: Penn State Began Cuts In Athletics

Maryland's Dorm occupancy is 48%. All the freshmen at the local high school are all living at home for the fall semester.
I know a bunch who are going to do online at Montgomery college to save cash

It strikes me as a little crazy that because football (a nationally popular sport) plays schools from far away and generates money doing so, all the other sports have to play those same schools too. I realize that's the idea behind a "conference" but still it seems kinda odd.

Reactions: Ski
True but that's how it works with everything these days. It's the initial reporting that matters, by the time a correction is made, the world has moved on to the next thing.

Yes. In general I agree. But the "story" of this virus is overall health. If many people catch a virus, but only experience minor symptoms such as fever, tight chest, coughing and headaches.... then it is gross negligence (I actually say "media malpractice") to not report the recovery/results information.

Reactions: bison13
The guys a head of him have either one or played in a national championship. He has yet to make the playoffs. Also, he can't close out big games. 2017 Rose Bowl, 2017 OSU, 2018 OSU, etc., etc.
And which one of the guys “ahead of him” faced anything close to what he’s had to face? When there’s a level playing field, let me know. What’s a better coaching job, getting the Lions to the playoffs or the Patriots to the SB?

Yes. In general I agree. But the "story" of this virus is overall health. If many people catch a virus, but only experience minor symptoms such as fever, tight chest, coughing and headaches.... then it is gross negligence (I actually say "media malpractice") to not report the recovery/results information.
I think the Freddie Freeman case was reported thoroughly. What isn't really being reported is Braves catchers Travis d’Arnaud and Tyler Flowers are showing symptoms but are testing negative. During the broadcast last night the announcers said they should be back soon because they think its just a severe cold yet they are listed on the injury report as COVID-19.

So lost in all this jibber jabber is that Frank Sheerin gave us the initial heads up that the shoe was about to drop. Now, if they cancel the fall season we are going to see some sports dropped at PSU. I do think PSU is doing everything they can not to lay people off at this point.

And which one of the guys “ahead of him” faced anything close to what he’s had to face? When there’s a level playing field, let me know. What’s a better coaching job, getting the Lions to the playoffs or the Patriots to the SB?

I agree with him being worth what he is getting, but why isn’t the playing field level? We have been doing great in recruiting. No question coaching has been questionable in a few big games.

I agree with him being worth what he is getting, but why isn’t the playing field level? We have been doing great in recruiting. No question coaching has been questionable in a few big games.
The field isn’t level because he still has to battle the “Ped State” reputation. There’s no way to measure how well he might be doing in recruiting if there never was a Sandusky scandal, but I have to assume it’s still affecting some kid’s opinions toward Penn State.

From the Penn State release on the Athletic Dept budget cuts:
“As a result of our analysis and based on our current financial circumstances, we made the difficult decision to make reductions in salaries across the department for this fiscal year. The savings generated by these reductions, as well as decreases in our operation budgets, will assist in minimizing our currently anticipated revenue shortfall for this year.”

Notice the "as well as decreases in our operation budgets". So yesterday they acknowledged 5-10% decreases in salaries across the board within the athletic department. But then they added that little nugget... "decreases in our operation budgets". This is what we've been discussing in this thread. They are looking at ways to decrease operation budgets and the most likely target getting a close look would be the non-revenue sports. If you are decreasing budgets to the non-revenue sports, the move that makes the biggest impact to the bottom-line is to just eliminate those sports. But like I said before, the decision makers do not feel C-19 is long term, and they do not want to permanently eliminate a sport, if things return to normalcy in 2021. So they are going to first look at ways to cut budgets as far as possible, without eliminating the sport.

JoeBot is pissed Jaypa isn’t coach

I think Franklin is great but I think Pay cuts should be for everyone in the athletic department Franklin included

I agree. Honestly, I don't think any college football coach is worth 6 million dollars. I don't be gruge anyone for making a buck, but the salaries have gotten out of hand. Coordinations making over a million a year? position coaches making close to half a million? Football staffs in excess of 30 people. Athletic departments with Associate ADs for everything.

then the facilities? Is a slide (Clemson) in a football facility necessary? I saw where Florida State Athletic budget was $75 million 10 years ago, now is $150 million. Honestly, I don’t feel badly for these programs. They have spent money like drunken sailors. I love college athletics more than anything but the model needs to be blown up and we start over.

I say the same thing about the academic side. Why does it cost 75k to go to Bucknell and Lehigh? 55k for schools like Lebanon Valley, Muhlenberg and Moravian? Again, the model needs to change.

Maryland's Dorm occupancy is 48%. All the freshmen at the local high school are all living at home for the fall semester.

BTW, Maryland's dorms suck, who would want to live in them anyway? Makes decision a little easier for local freshman....

I agree. Honestly, I don't think any college football coach is worth 6 million dollars. I don't be gruge anyone for making a buck, but the salaries have gotten out of hand. Coordinations making over a million a year? position coaches making close to half a million? Football staffs in excess of 30 people. Athletic departments with Associate ADs for everything.

then the facilities? Is a slide (Clemson) in a football facility necessary? I saw where Florida State Athletic budget was $75 million 10 years ago, now is $150 million. Honestly, I don’t feel badly for these programs. They have spent money like drunken sailors. I love college athletics more than anything but the model needs to be blown up and we start over.

I say the same thing about the academic side. Why does it cost 75k to go to Bucknell and Lehigh? 55k for schools like Lebanon Valley, Muhlenberg and Moravian? Again, the model needs to change.

nm

From the Penn State release on the Athletic Dept budget cuts:
“As a result of our analysis and based on our current financial circumstances, we made the difficult decision to make reductions in salaries across the department for this fiscal year. The savings generated by these reductions, as well as decreases in our operation budgets, will assist in minimizing our currently anticipated revenue shortfall for this year.”

Notice the "as well as decreases in our operation budgets". So yesterday they acknowledged 5-10% decreases in salaries across the board within the athletic department. But then they added that little nugget... "decreases in our operation budgets". This is what we've been discussing in this thread. They are looking at ways to decrease operation budgets and the most likely target getting a close look would be the non-revenue sports. If you are decreasing budgets to the non-revenue sports, the move that makes the biggest impact to the bottom-line is to just eliminate those sports. But like I said before, the decision makers do not feel C-19 is long term, and they do not want to permanently eliminate a sport, if things return to normalcy in 2021. So they are going to first look at ways to cut budgets as far as possible, without eliminating the sport.

Barbour may get some help in "decreases in our operations budget." Lord knows she can use it.

I'm assuming you are referring to "sanctions" but those have come and are long gone by now, stop making excuses. I'm a shrewd businessman and I would say James Franklin (~0.678) is comparable to Chris Petersen (~0.793) and I would be willing to let him walk because there are better options available for a much lower cost. Not to mention Urban Meyer, I would be willing to pay for a couple with a couple of Championship rings... but not I guy who lost to Pat Fitzgerald 4 times.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are referring to "sanctions" but those have come and are long gone by now, stop making excuses. I'm a shrewd businessman and I would say James Franklin (~0.678) is comparable to Chris Petersen (~0.793) and I would be willing to let him walk because there are better options available for a much lower cost. Not to mention Urban Meyer, I would be willing to pay for a couple with a couple of Championship rings... but not I guy who lost to Pat Fitzgerald 4 times.
Tell us about your watch again.

You know nothing about college football.

They’re not long gone by any stretch of the imagination. The effects are just ending in terms of roster management and rebuilding the lines....but the hit to our reputation and the stain on the university name is still there and still
impacts recruiting.

Please list the better options out there so that we can discuss them. If you’re so certain then you must have a list of names.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT