ADVERTISEMENT

Helton is toast.....

Take a run at OB. If he gets Bama to a NC, his pro experience (and Saban stamp of approval) would work well in LA I think. Has to want to do it though; he could be a great college coach if he buys into recruiting (noting much easier to recruit to USC than PSU).

OB is an intriguing possibility, but still has to spend more time in rehab. Figure another year or two beyond this season.

Reactions: Midnighter2
We are gearing up for a nice run with a tough schedule. We really don't need this distraction right now with speculation that Franklin might consider this job. 🙄

Fickell capped the bed in his one year at Ohio state plus he wants Michigan
Not fair as he had a depleted lineup in 2011 because of the Tressel scandal and was thrown into the job knowing he would be replaced. You see the results once he had time to settle in a program and recruit his own players

Didn’t Brian Kelly do the same at Cincinnati? How we all have short memories. BK hasn’t won a championship yet…although he did play for one.
Well, to be honest, it's kind of hard for anyone to win a title with Saban and Alabama around. Kelly's not my favorite coach (actually can't stand him and ND) but the guy has really done well the last few years at ND

Well, to be honest, it's kind of hard for anyone to win a title with Saban and Alabama around. Kelly's not my favorite coach (actually can't stand him and ND) but the guy has really done well the last few years at ND
Kinda my point. We shouldn’t act like what Fickell is doing at Cincinnati like it hasn’t been done before by a fine coach. I am very impressed with Fickell and if we lose CJF, he would be my #1 choice to replace him.

Kinda my point. We shouldn’t act like what Fickell is doing at Cincinnati like it hasn’t been done before by a fine coach. I am very impressed with Fickell and if we lose CJF, he would be my #1 choice to replace him.
Let’s see how they do against Indiana and ND

Not fair as he had a depleted lineup in 2011 because of the Tressel scandal and was thrown into the job knowing he would be replaced. You see the results once he had time to settle in a program and recruit his own players

We've discussed this before. Meyer went undefeated in '12. Solid team in '10. Fickell just wasn't ready for it. The lineup wasn't depleted.

Cincinnati seems to be the launching pad for some really good CF coaches. Besides Kelly and Fickell, didn't Mark Dantonio also coach at Cincy ?

USC can have Franklin only if we are guaranteed Fickell.
I remember the year they left him in charge of tOSU...not sure I'm calling that a fair trade. Campbell or Fickel make sense....as it's an actual promotion.

Please We have a game this weekend. It’s important this board mit overlook Auburn.
Please focus people.
Crap, I’m just now focusing on Ball State! I was told I had to. I hope I still have enough time to focus on Auburn and the USC job search. I don’t need distractions like this!
Of the list in this thread, I’ve yet to see anything to make me believe O’Brien is much of a head coach. Plus, I don’t see him loving the recruiting. Fickell has done a nice job at Cinci but I view him kind of like Golden at Temple going to Miami. Put him in the big time I don’t think he’ll get it done.

Absolutely. I think once you get to a certain level of program, it's a job you don't leave for a similar job unless there are significant extenuating circumstances....like too many coeds....err, I mean heart conditions.
He would be smart to NOT go to SEC to be a HC IMO

Helton did better in '21 recruiting (7 of the top 15) his home state, but look back at '19 and '20 and he only got 5 of the top 30 from each year combined.

Any coaching hire has to recruit CA well. Period. When these kids are going to Bama, OSU, Oregon, Clemson, etc. You are failing.

I think Tony Elliott might be the best and most realistic choice. Campbell has no history as being a great recruiter and after the Iowa loss, doesn't appear to be heading for a great season. Fickell I don't buy either. He's continuing what Kelly and D'Antonio did. Look up his recruiting as well. He's not even getting the best of the rest in Ohio.

Elliott may lack the HC chops, but he can recruit. And if you look at Pete's run there, that's what he did. (And cheat a little, but still)

Doubt that USC will come up with the cash necessary to lure Franklin. Would he leave if they did? Yup.

Campbell, Fleck, Schiano, and Fickell are more realistic. Tony Elliott is probably too much of a calculated risk.
No he wouldn’t.

Reactions: heckmans
We are gearing up for a nice run with a tough schedule. We really don't need this distraction right now with speculation that Franklin might consider this job. 🙄
Speculation is all it is (again)….he hasn’t gone for any of the other jobs he was supposedly going to take, why would this be any different? He’s not going anywhere.

Fickell capped the bed in his one year at Ohio state plus he wants Michigan
I tend to agree. Making Cincy relevant is impressive, but does anybody really believe that they’re little more than a paper tiger? Big fish in a small pond. Kind of like Greg “choppin’ wood” Schiano did at Rutgers. And what has he done since?

Not to worry....Franklin doesn't know much about coaching football. Time management lacking, never picks the correct starting QB, changes all the OC's play calls, runs the QB too much and can't recruit Pa. (Fleming), or legacies (Rucci). We're stuck with him.....he's nothing without the BWI CAC holding his hand.;)

O'Brien couldn't survive the alumni and recruiting grind (kissing ass) long term.
Agree. OB was pretty clear - He hates recruiting, administrations, and fundraising. He's a football guy..not a politician. I see him back as an NFL asst as soon as possible.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Agree. OB was pretty clear - He hates recruiting, administrations, and fundraising. He's a football guy..not a politician. I see him back as an NFL asst as soon as possible.
Yes, and I don't see BOB and Nick holding hands for long either.

Reactions: heckmans
We've discussed this before. Meyer went undefeated in '12. Solid team in '10. Fickell just wasn't ready for it. The lineup wasn't depleted.
I don't know what was discussed here but the facts are that Fickell was thrown into the fire with the 2011 OSU team which was missing several star players the first 5 games due to the Tressel sanctions. Some of the players were Terrelle Pryor, Devier Posey, Mike Adams, Solomon Thomas, and Dan Herron - basically the stars of the team. A few more transferred. Pryor just packed it up and didn't return for 2011 - his last at OSU was 2010. Fickell had to go with Joe Bauserman at QB - he was nicknamed "3rd row Joe" by the OSU fans for a reason. Say what you want, but that 2011 OSU squad was depleted and in disarray - and those are the facts. They finished 6-7 which was OSU's 2nd losing season since the mid 1960s (the other being in one of John Cooper's first years)

And you're correct, Meyer came in 2012 but one of the draws - and maybe the main draw - was an read option young QB named Braxton Miller - perfect for his system

Like I mentioned, 2011 was a disastrous year for OSU but let's be fair to Fickell - he did OK for what was thrown at him. He also knew he would be replaced. But once he had a chance to steer his own program, you see the results.

Reactions: Cosmos and N&B4PSU
If no one from this board/list is on THAT list, then they are truly incompetent. At the very least they should be flying us out for a visit, putting us up in the Hills, showing us some private beaches to whet our appetite for moving to lala land. Pretty sure just about everyone of us is more than qualified to run usc.

I'm still waiting for my call...

Like I mentioned, 2011 was a disastrous year for OSU but let's be fair to Fickell - he did OK for what was thrown at him. He also knew he would be replaced. But once he had a chance to steer his own program, you see the results.

They went 3-2 without the stars. Other than that Miami loss, every one was by 7 or less.

He's steered it the same way two others have. He's a solid coach, but I don't think he's going to be a big winner outside of Cincy.

The **** are you serious with his post he’s not gonna recruit from a 30 mile radius only my Lord
The argument is SoCal is awash in talent...not so much any more. BTW, the "radius" of the region is a tad larger than 30 miles. As pointed out by another poster, the only HC who's succeeded there in the past 40 years is Pete Carroll who left just ahead of the sheriff over recruiting violations...why would Petey have bent the rules if recruiting at USC is a slam dunk?

In that case, can I be the guy who follows him around on the sideline and takes care of his headset?
I don't wear a headset and I don't hire coordinators. Also, the Alums and especially the BWI CAC can kiss my hairy old and wrinkled, white ass.

It’s official…ly David Dodd’s opinion.
lol his line "The Trojans may have their pick of quality coaches" makes it sound like playstation, its all USC's decision, they are allowed to just grab whoever they want no matter what the coaches think

Reactions: AWS1022
They went 3-2 without the stars. Other than that Miami loss, every one was by 7 or less.

He's steered it the same way two others have. He's a solid coach, but I don't think he's going to be a big winner outside of Cincy.
Time will tell. I just like Fickell and just don't think it's fair to bring up his one year stint at OSU for the reasons mentioned.

I travelled over to a couple of the USC boards and, man, did they hate Helton. A few of the early replacement names are Chris Peterson (retired ?), Fickell, Campbell, and of course a few said to throw a ton of money at Urban.

Doubt that USC will come up with the cash necessary to lure Franklin. Would he leave if they did? Yup.

Campbell, Fleck, Schiano, and Fickell are more realistic. Tony Elliott is probably too much of a calculated risk.
Franklin would leave? Just an opinion, or are there things you know of that Franklin is not happy with and more money would seal the deal?

Time will tell. I just like Fickell and just don't think it's fair to bring up his one year stint at OSU for the reasons mentioned.

I travelled over to a couple of the USC boards and, man, did they hate Helton. A few of the early replacement names are Chris Peterson (retired ?), Fickell, Campbell, and of course a few said to throw a ton of money at Urban.

Franklin gets credit for the 7-6 his first two years. Fickell didn't face anything of that sort did he? And considering Meyer turned em around in one year, it just tells me Fickell is probably too nice a guy to survive at a football factory.

It's not a slight.

At some point, a major program is going to bite on Kevin Kelley and it’s going to pay off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT