ADVERTISEMENT

Helton is toast.....

Fickell and Campbell are the two that stand out and are most likely to jump on the USC job. Both are just waiting for something like this to open up. No way in hell CJF would leave PSU for USC.
BINGO. USC is a decided jump down from PSU for any number of reasons. I knew as soon as I heard Helton was fired there would be nonsensical discussion on this board about Franklin taking the job.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Hard to disagree with you. His name is popping up on just about every big coaching opening. What he's done at Cincy is off the charts
Get back to me when Fickel coaches in a real league. He’s done a very good job no doubt and seems like he would be a good candidate, but off the charts is way too rich.

Reactions: lazydave841
I think 2 under the wire guys would be Josh Gattis and Brian Hartline.
As long as we are engaged in wild speculation.....I'm thinking that the quick trigger means they have someone lined up. That to me means someone not currently coaching......hence I say Bob Stoops.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Franklin gets credit for the 7-6 his first two years. Fickell didn't face anything of that sort did he? And considering Meyer turned em around in one year, it just tells me Fickell is probably too nice a guy to survive at a football factory.

It's not a slight.
Of course not but keep in mind CJF had HC experience before he took the PSU job - wasn't he at Vanderbilt ? Fickell was a young assistant coach that was thrown into the fire - and it was a fire - that was just trying to steer the ship until a new coach (Urban) was named.

Franklin would leave? Just an opinion, or are there things you know of that Franklin is not happy with and more money would seal the deal?

Call it an informed opinion. if the right situation presents itself, he'll leave.

As long as we are engaged in wild speculation.....I'm thinking that the quick trigger means they have someone lined up. That to me means someone not currently coaching......hence I say Bob Stoops.

Could be, but I think it's more a case of pissed off alumni putting the screws to Bohn.

Call it an informed opinion. if the right situation presents itself, he'll leave.
Apparently the other 35 situations weren’t “right”. If someone keeps writing it, someone will believe it.

USC is not a decided jump down. How do you come up with this stuff?
Because USC hasn’t been relevant in how long? Because Franklin now coaches in one of the best conferences in the country. Last I checked, no team from the PAC 12 has ever made the college playoffs. Because Franklin has tremendous success at PSU and has the program on the upswing. Because PSU doesn’t fire head coaches like some schools, including USC, some people change underwear. Should I go on?

I'd probably offer Hartline OC or Asoc HC / WR if he'd take the money and leave.

Gattis stock seems down to me.
I don't think you fire Helton.....a guy that the alums hated because he wasn't a household name to replace him with a coordinator. They'll move heaven and earth to lure a proven winner. My gut tells me they have the $$$ pledged to do it or they wouldn't have moved so quickly on firing Helton.

Agree. OB was pretty clear - He hates recruiting, administrations, and fundraising. He's a football guy..not a politician. I see him back as an NFL asst as soon as possible.
USC recruits itself as long as the coach is winning. He won’t have to deal with the microscope and alumni base like he did at Penn State. Also not following a legend. Bill would be great IMO - I bet he’d rather have the politics of being a HC at at power program like SC than being dumped as an NFL HC. All the crap about not liking recruiting and administrations was when he was hogtied by sanctions at Penn State. Wouldn’t be the case at SC.

Because USC hasn’t been relevant in how long? Because Franklin now coaches in one of the best conferences in the country. Last I checked, no team from the PAC 12 has ever made the college playoffs. Because Franklin has tremendous success at PSU and has the program on the upswing. Because PSU doesn’t fire head coaches like some schools, including USC, some people change underwear. Should I go on?

Pretty sure Washington made the CFP instead of Penn State the year we won the B1G and had two losses. No one lobbied for us despite beating OSU (who got in despite playing one fewer game and being a non-champ) - who had Delaney and Herbstreit lobbying for them.

Pretty sure Washington made the CFP instead of Penn State the year we won the B1G and had two losses. No one lobbied for us despite beating OSU (who got in despite playing one fewer game and being a non-champ) - who had Delaney and Herbstreit lobbying for them.
I believe Oregon also got in during the 2014-2015 Playoffs

Reactions: Midnighter2
What "other 35 situations?"
Every job opening in the last five years was supposedly going to Franklin….he was flying all over the country apparently and he wasn’t saying he wasn’t interested, so he must have been taking the job….yet he’s still here. Unless you’re his wife, you have no more of a clue than anyone else.

Every job opening in the last five years was supposedly going to Franklin….he was flying all over the country apparently and he wasn’t saying he wasn’t interested, so he must have been taking the job….yet he’s still here. Unless you’re his wife, you have no more of a clue than anyone else.

Really and not one report of an offer? So either all of that flying didn't happen or someone needs to brush up on his interviewing skills.

I'll be content with a coach that is always coveted elsewhere.....as opposed to Nardouche who is never considered for another HC job.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Really and not one report of an offer? So either all of that flying didn't happen or someone needs to brush up on his interviewing skills.
He didn’t get an offer because he likely wasn’t interested, but suddenly he would be interested now? I seriously doubt it. The people who are writing this crap have no idea, they’re just throwing out names. There was no reason to think he would take any of the last 35 jobs and there’s no reason to think he would take this one. There’s also no reason to think it would even be offered to him.

He didn’t get an offer because he likely wasn’t interested, but suddenly he would be interested now? I seriously doubt it. The people who are writing this crap have no idea, they’re just throwing out names. There was no reason to think he would take any of the last 35 jobs and there’s no reason to think he would take this one. There’s also no reason to think it would even be offered to him.
Or he simply didn't receive any offers.

Get back to me when Fickel coaches in a real league. He’s done a very good job no doubt and seems like he would be a good candidate, but off the charts is way too rich.
Many coaches who are now at 'real programs' started at smaller programs and conferences. They don't all just exist in the Power 5's

Or he simply didn't receive any offers.
Which furthers my point that it’s just names being thrown out. No matter how you slice it, these rumors have been going on for years, he hasn’t gone anywhere, and he isn’t going to now.

Reactions: Hartzie
Many coaches who are now at 'real programs' started at smaller programs and conferences. They don't all just exist in the Power 5's
And many of them find the P5 is a whole different ball game….Scott Frost comes to mind.

Oh boy. There's some talk over on the OSU boards that USC has been talking to Urban and will unload the bank to get him there. I would have laughed about it a week or so ago but after Urban's first week disaster in Jax, could it be a possibility he leaves the NFL after just one year ? California would be the perfect fit for Urban and many thought he was headed there a year or so ago

Lol Greg Schiano? Pj Fleck? Thamel just throwing every name out there to see what sticks.

Cristobal is not leaving Oregon for that job. Fickell won't leave Cincinnati for that job.

From that list Elliott is the most realistic.
Why not? Cincinnati isn't exactly a plum job.

I will, so tell me.
It’s because Franklin confides in him and told him he would take any offer that comes his way just to get out of State College. He hates it so bad and he’s tried to leave, but no one would take him these past five years, even after winning the Big and being named coach of the year (eye roll).

I believe Washington was in CFP. They are PAC-12. UCLA or Oregon could end up there this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT