ADVERTISEMENT

Helton is toast.....

Fickell won't leave Cincinnati? Why?
Fickell has no connections to the west coast, and reading between the lines he has been waiting to take a major job in the midwest or B1G area (aka OSU or ND whenever one of those jobs opens up).

Don't see him leaving a Cincy program that is about to make a conference move to go for a job in the west coast, even if it is USC.

Franklin ticks a lot of boxes for a program like USC; I think he could have success there much like he has had at Penn State (if not, you don't hear his name popping up with every big time coaching vacancy). Ultimately, it's a choice of whether the money is worth the lifestyle change, and how good CJF feels about the chances of success at USC. I'm sure it's a difficult choice, but as we've seen, money talks a lot of the time. CJF takes too much of it I'm afraid with his buyout; I think USC focuses on Fickell. But, if they wanted to get creative, maybe go for Eric Bieniemy - proven NFL OC ready to make the jump.

But, who knows? Maybe the allure of having Dr. Dre or Will Ferrell on the sideline along with a house on the beach is too much to ignore...
This situation depends on the $$$ and Mrs. Franklin. If she likes the idea of West coast living, he’s gone.

Fickell would win a natty within 3 years at USC.
No restaurant worker will be safe in L.A.

Amy, Amy, Amy....what have you done?

Ohio State’s Athletic Department let us know that Luke Fickell did not make any effort to get a local pizza worker fired.

The story goes that Fickell’s wife was the target of an inappropriate comment regarding the Buckeyes’ need to tackle better. “Just like (the Fickells) did not place a call to complain, they also did not ask that anyone be fired. In fact, they feel terrible that this person lost his job.”

Much ado about very little, it seems.

I’m not worried at all about Franklin taking that job- from either angle really. I don’t think he’s leaving. And if he did, I do t think we’d have a difficult time finding another high quality coach to replace him.

Franklin was just was the cover of that article because he is the biggest name that would instantly come to any school's top of the list when the job opens. His picture gets people to click. Plus yes USC job opening is obviously an attractive one. They had a lot of patience with Helton. They should be kicking everyone's ass on a yearly basis in that conference.

Fisher leaving FSU for TAMU. Could argue Harbaugh had Stanford in a good place when he left (for the NFL). It’s rare but happens. I don’t see Franklin leaving unless someone comes up with a boatload of money. I used to think Texas would be a fit for him but not now - they’re gonna get murdered in the SEC.
Fisher was coming to the end at FSU I think.

Reactions: grinagrin
I will throw out a name just for the sake of throwing out a name

Kyle Wittingham, Utah.
A great coach but in his 60s and that shipped sailed 12 years ago when they went undefeated and beat Bama. He stayed for whatever reason.

Using the Fisher Logic, wouldn't USC have made their move after our 4-5 season? Before our 2-0 start...?

Interesting that Jimbo got out right before the wheels fell off the wagon. Many believed his losing year there was just a distraction type of year and that FSU would return to glory in short order.

I agree CJF ticks all the boxes - plus he is a minority coach in an industry that still does not have a lot of minority head coaches.

This whole "money/lifestyle choice" argument befuddles me. This is something that PSU fans bring up as if it's a make or break issue - I don't see it. If it were, then you would hear of a lot of other professions have the same issue. There are advantages and disadvantages to both places - just because a bunch of PSU fans was poetic over State College and Central Pa does not mean everyone does.
Just like not everyone longs to live in LA.

LA/California markets potential in regard to NIL.
Recruiting grounds.

It's not apparent to me that amateur FB players in a very crowded LA/Anaheim sports market (2 NFL, 2 MLB, 2 NBA, 2 NHL, 2 Pac-12) would drive more NIL money than Columbus OH or Phila/Pitt markets. Certainly, Reggie Bush and Matt Leinert would have done well, but a kid just got $1.4M in the armpit of America before even stepping on campus so I don't think it's orders of magnitude different that drives leaving a one 'Blue Blood' job for another.

As an aside, as I've said before, I think the SEC will continue to flourish with NIL because there is less competition with with pro sports, but I think on the whole, CFB will see a major correction in popularity as the lines of amateurism are blurred.

O'Brien couldn't survive the alumni and recruiting grind (kissing ass) long term.
I always thought Bill was a warm & fuzzy people person...😂

Texans’ Bill O’Brien Explodes at Heckler During Broncos Game

“Screw you, motherf***er! You suck, too! Hey, you suck too, motherf***er! You suck, too! F*** you!”

52gdrsxvnpl11.png

If no one from this board/list is on THAT list, then they are truly incompetent. At the very least they should be flying us out for a visit, putting us up in the Hills, showing us some private beaches to whet our appetite for moving to lala land. Pretty sure just about everyone of us is more than qualified to run usc.

I'm still waiting for my call...
Is your family sitting with you in nervous anticipation of the good news, or are they going about their daily business saying "we don't have time for this nonsense".

• Haha
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Based on what I have heard James say in private regarding family and small town living of being more accessible to him. I would be surprised to see him go to LA.

I agree CJF ticks all the boxes - plus he is a minority coach in an industry that still does not have a lot of minority head coaches.

This whole "money/lifestyle choice" argument befuddles me. This is something that PSU fans bring up as if it's a make or break issue - I don't see it. If it were, then you would hear of a lot of other professions have the same issue. There are advantages and disadvantages to both places - just because a bunch of PSU fans was poetic over State College and Central Pa does not mean everyone does.
I'm hoping CJF never leaves but you need to wipe the slate clean at USC. That's why i believe they need a guy like Josh Gattis, young, dynamic recruiter, experience at Michigan , Alabama , and USC. There are probably others like him out there , but the big name hires are established and need a massive buyout.

can you imagine if PJ Fleck goes to USC? There won't be enough coke to contain them all. That dude is wound up!

Urban Meyer is going to be USC's next HC. Mike Lombardi is stating that his source in Columbus is telling him Urban is going to USC. He also said something is definitely up with USC because you do not fire a coach after 2 games. All the stuff you are hearing about Urban and some of his coaches and players is not good. He is not cut out for the NFL. Urban is a recruiter not an X O guy. His offense was always a high school offense. Why would he think he could pull it off?

I doubt that Franklin lacks the confidence that his recruiting at USC won't be great, probably better than it is at PSU. Problem there is money. Football budget is considerably less than it is at PSU, not a gap that can be easily covered.

Now if someplace like Texas decides that Franklin is the guy.......
Maybe it's time for Sarkisian to relax a little, pat himself on the back, lean back, prop his feet up on the desk and have a few belts of Patron Silver.

Last edited:
Maybe it's time for Sarkisian to relax a little, pat himself on the back, lean back, prop his feet up on the desk and have a few belts of Patron Silver.

Probably not a good idea for a guy like Sarkisian, though he might need to after last Saturday's debacle.

How do you know we would be closer to a national championship? Wouldn’t that depend on who we get unless you really think anybody is better than Franklin. What if they hire a “can’t miss” coach like Nebraska did? Or Michigan?
It does depend on who we get. However, I am quite certain that Franklin isn't nearly good enough of a coach to win a national championship at Penn State so a change moves us closer regardless.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUSignore
It does depend on who we get. However, I am quite certain that Franklin isn't nearly good enough of a coach to win a national championship at Penn State so a change moves us closer regardless.

Thanks for your input.

It's amazing that so many other blue blood CFB programs would love to have CJF as a coach. I guess they don't want to try to win a national championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT