ADVERTISEMENT

Haha...Chris Peak during his Pantherlair podcast says PSU fighting for Pinstripe bowl at best...

Is that really so unrealistic? Franklin has been recruiting very well, but there are some new faces in key positions. We still don't know about quarterback, the offensive line, or the defensive line. The offensive coordinator and offensive line coach are new. Talent aside, are there still kinks to work out on the offense? The schedule looks favorable, and it looks like we will be better than last year, but let's see how the first few games play out.

I don't see 7 or 8 wins as all that unrealistic depending on how the month of September unfolds. Still think if we get out of that month at 2-2, 8 wins is probably a good season and would reflect a 6-2 improvement down the stretch.

I've seen about 4 (rather meaningless) bowl projections and 3 of them have us in the Holiday Bowl against either Oregon or UCLA. That more or less translates into an 8 or 9 win season so could certainly live with it.

The context was "Penn State won't be a very good team." With the assumption that Pitt will be.

I have no doubt that peak expects to pitt to be better than Penn State. That idiocy aside, just talking about Penn State, I don't think 7 or 8 wins is an unreasonable prediction.

Reactions: biacto
I don't see 7 or 8 wins as all that unrealistic depending on how the month of September unfolds. Still think if we get out of that month at 2-2, 8 wins is probably a good season and would reflect a 6-2 improvement down the stretch.

I've seen about 4 (rather meaningless) bowl projections and 3 of them have us in the Holiday Bowl against either Oregon or UCLA. That more or less translates into an 8 or 9 win season so could certainly live with it.

8 wins with obvious improvement would be a good season.
And yes we can not end the season with 4 straight losses again.
I think that more than anything is why many are writing us off.

Reactions: m48tank
7 or 8 wins tops, says Peak.

I am not sure why you would pick more. The 5th and 4th year players were sub 50 recruiting classes. Only 6 and 8 players even left from those classes compared to the 30+ that Bob had in 2012. New OC, new DC, questionable STC, new QB, and so on.

If PSU wins 8 or more then the staff did a great job. Next year is the year we take the big jump.

The context was "Penn State won't be a very good team." With the assumption that Pitt will be.

That's probably true for this year. Pitt has 14 seniors on the two deep to Penn State's 5 - or something like that. The sanctions gutted the team as can be seen by the lack of seniors, so yeah, it takes time to restock talent and build depth. Pitt didn't have to deal with that. At this point they should be better. But anyone with half a brain can see that Penn State's upward trajectory is greater than Pitt's based upon recruiting. All Penn State has to do is perform well this year and show improvement and the recruits will keep signing up. Franklin, et al, have no doubt explained the situation to them, and as can be seen by the quality of recruits we're getting, they understand and are okay with the situation.

Reactions: truk88 and zwick99
I have no doubt that peak expects to pitt to be better than Penn State. That idiocy aside, just talking about Penn State, I don't think 7 or 8 wins is an unreasonable prediction.

I'm trying to find the link, but I recall an article saying ESPN favored Penn State in 9 games this year. I don't make predictions, but I don't think 7 or 8 wins is our best possible outcome this year. Maybe most likely, sure. But we could be better than that.

I am not sure why you would pick more. The 5th and 4th year players were sub 50 recruiting classes. Only 6 and 8 players even left from those classes compared to the 30+ that Bob had in 2012. New OC, new DC, questionable STC, new QB, and so on.

If PSU wins 8 or more then the staff did a great job. Next year is the year we take the big jump.

You moron, go lick PiT moro.

That's probably true for this year. Pitt has 14 seniors on the two deep to Penn State's 5 - or something like that. The sanctions gutted the team as can be seen by the lack of seniors, so yeah, it takes time to restock talent and build depth. Pitt didn't have to deal with that. At this point they should be better. But anyone with half a brain can see that Penn State's upward trajectory is greater than Pitt's based upon recruiting. All Penn State has to do is perform well this year and show improvement and the recruits will keep signing up. Franklin, et al, have no doubt explained the situation to them, and as can be seen by the quality of recruits we're getting, they understand and are okay with the situation.

We'll see. The idea that they can be an effective offense with only a dominating ground game is foolish. This isn't IM Hipp and Nebraska running the ball in the 70s. They targeted Boyd on a crazy number of passing plays when they weren't handing it off to him on sweeps and other handoffs. I need to see they have an effective passing attack before I believe it. They also allowed 5.4 ypc on 1st and 2nd down last year on defense. They are far from some elite team.

Agree. More importantly, I don't wanna hear "Pinstripe Bowl, at best" predictions coming out of the mouth of a Pitt fan.

Pitt was hoping for the Pinstripe Bowl last year and got put in Annapolis since the Pinstripe bowl didn't want Pitt and their entourage of 12 fans. Plus, they feared facing Indiana's offense and wanted to face an offense like Navy because they had just faced a similar offense playing Georgia Tech. Worked out well for them LOL!!!!

Probably a better statistic to look at is returning starters where Pitt has 15 to our 14 (9 on offense and 5 on D). While our defense only returns 5 starters, that 5 doesn't count NWW and even with the departure of Lucas and Williams, we are still extremely deep in the secondary. Only major question on D is the line which, as we know, is an easier position to jump into.

This might seem a little crazy but I think PSU will have a breakout season this year. we'll be 9-3 & 10-2 and be in contention for the big 10 east into November. The reason:
1. We have a stockpile of talent - especially on offense
2. Franklin is desperate and he knows he has to show major improvement this year.

Our think our boys get it done this year and make that step change improvement that we've all been looking for.

Reactions: BBrown
If my underclass men are faster, stronger, & more skilled than your seniors then what is the issue? That may be a problem with all underclass men but many of our guys had playing time so they are not totally raw. The offensive scheme is new so that works to our advantage if you look at the talent jump coach Morehead has here now.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
This might seem a little crazy but I think PSU will have a breakout season this year. we'll be 9-3 & 10-2 and be in contention for the big 10 east into November. The reason:
2. Franklin is desperate and he knows he has to show major improvement this year.

Our think our boys get it done this year and make that step change improvement that we've all been looking for.

You know, if you want to get crazy, our away conference games are at Purdue, at Indiana, and at Rutgers, besides the game at Michigan. Then we get Minnesota, Maryland, OSU, Iowa, and MSU at home. Not a bad slate.

Reactions: Louisville JD
Everyone has an opinion and analysis and thinks their opinion is just sooo accurate .
In 1982 psu won the MNC and started off pretty poorly. In 84 I think they were 6-5. 11-1, then 12-0 in 86 with normal recruiting at the height of Joe's success.
I just wait and see how the season unwinds and pay no attention to the prognosticators.

The only reason we lost four games in a row was because of that abortion at Northwestern. No way in hell we should have lost that game.

Reactions: BBrown

Look no further than Iowa last year. This time last year, did anyone looking at Iowa's roster think they had the makings of a 12 win team? I doubt there were any Iowa fans that thought their team could win 10 games last year let alone 12. So, if Iowa can surprise, then why can't PSU this year? I know, PSU plays in the tougher Big 10 division but one would think if Iowa could win 12 games with their roster last year, then why can't PSU win 9 games with their roster? Historically, a 9 win season wasn't much to get excited about at PSU but given what we have been through in recent years, I think 9 wins would look very good.

Look no further than Iowa last year. This time last year, did anyone looking at Iowa's roster think they had the makings of a 12 win team? I doubt there were any Iowa fans that thought their team could win 10 games last year let alone 12. So, if Iowa can surprise, then why can't PSU this year? I know, PSU plays in the tougher Big 10 division but one would think if Iowa could win 12 games with their roster last year, then why can't PSU win 9 games with their roster? Historically, a 9 win season wasn't much to get excited about at PSU but given what we have been through in recent years, I think 9 wins would look very good.

It should also be noted that CJ Beathard was a FIRST TIME STARTER, exactly like McSorely will be this year.

Iowa also played NOBODY last year. Quite possibly the easiest big ten schedule ever. They even threw in little sisters of the poor, pitt for a gimme win. They didn't have to play ohio state, michigan, or michigan state in the regular season. They won a lot of their games by 7 points or less, but I guess you just got to win with the schedule you get. The big west is a joke right now, and really will be for a long time. The Iowa/stanford bowl game was unwatchable after about 8 minutes.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I would be too ashamed to talk trash the next season after a game like that.

or Navy, which just scored AGAIN.

how god awful is Pitt? last 4 bowl games:

2013 BBVA Compass Bowl, Ole Miss 38, Pitt 17
2013 Little Ceasers Pizza Bowl Pitt 30, Bowling Green 27
2015 Armed Forces Bowl Houston 35, Pitt 34
2015 Military Bowl Navy 44, Pitt 28

Reactions: m48tank

I think Pitt fans are setting themselves up for a big let down. I would not be surprised if they ended up with a losing record this year. I see four games that I would call a pretty sure thing they win (Nova, Marshall, Virginia and Cuse). They will likely lose to Ok. State, UNC, Miami and Clemson. That leaves us, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Duke...all of which they could lose and even if they pull them all out, that's 8-4 at best, 4-8 a possibility with 7-5 or 6-6 a very realistic possibility. Not exactly the world domination they are claiming.

Iowa also played NOBODY last year. Quite possibly the easiest big ten schedule ever. They even threw in little sisters of the poor, pitt for a gimme win. They didn't have to play ohio state, michigan, or michigan state in the regular season. They won a lot of their games by 7 points or less, but I guess you just got to win with the schedule you get. The big west is a joke right now, and really will be for a long time. The Iowa/stanford bowl game was unwatchable after about 8 minutes.

I understand the weaker schedule but I'm not expecting PSU to win 12 games this year. I asked if Iowa can win 12 in 2015 then why can't PSU win 9 games this season.

I'm saying 8-4 so I don't disagree with him there. He is a giant Pitt homer though, so when they only win 6 or 7 it will be hilarious watching his meltdown with all the others predicting Pitt wins whatever their division is called in the ACC. They are setting their expectations too high, so when they are not realized they will do to Narduzzi what they did to Wanny.

7 or 8 wins tops, says Peak.

I predict 7 or 8 wins as well. When the sanctions were rescinded 2 years ago I predicted Pitt would win the first game & PSU would win the next 3, and I'm sticking to that prediction. PSU still has a limp from the unwarranted sanctions, a new DC, a new OC, and a new QB. Pitt has the more experienced QB & that give them an edge as well.

I think Pitt fans are setting themselves up for a big let down. I would not be surprised if they ended up with a losing record this year. I see four games that I would call a pretty sure thing they win (Nova, Marshall, Virginia and Cuse). They will likely lose to Ok. State, UNC, Miami and Clemson. That leaves us, Va Tech, Ga Tech and Duke...all of which they could lose and even if they pull them all out, that's 8-4 at best, 4-8 a possibility with 7-5 or 6-6 a very realistic possibility. Not exactly the world domination they are claiming.

Could say the same about PSU. THe 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes were sub 50 and those are the juniors and seniors.

You know, if you want to get crazy, our away conference games are at Purdue, at Indiana, and at Rutgers, besides the game at Michigan. Then we get Minnesota, Maryland, OSU, Iowa, and MSU at home. Not a bad slate.
That is a pretty favorable schedule of away games. Michigan may be tough, but PSU should sweep the other three games. If the Lions play well at home, it could be a very good year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT