ADVERTISEMENT

Gov Mifflin

Yikes. When I went to McCaskey some 50 years ago, enrollment was twice that number. And Lancaster has grown in population since then. Can’t be correct.
Those are males only. Also these were the numbers reported by lancasteronline.com so they are probably based on the number of males reported to PIAA by each district in the last cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrucePa
The Trinity League in So Cal is top notch, the starting quarterbacks this fall at Alabama, Georgia (both Mater Dei) and Clemson (St. John Bosco) and all former Trinity league grads. Do they recruit? Hell, yes!

Wyo is not in that conference,but you know this. So what is your point. And Exeter does not play them.

Why would I mentioned them, did he ask about Wyo? They are in section 2 which sucks and they don't play Exeter. Anything else?
When you said conference I thought you meant the whole inter county league. Relax, chief. When I played we played Exeter every year

Great point.

I had not understanding of the competition that Nick is facing. He he is so awesome looking that it just raised the question. This guys is unbelievable. Now that he is playing high competition, i can see why Saban wanted him.

Like anything, I think it’s more than just a population issue. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the one sport athlete. I think kids concentrate on one sport now and may not even play a second or third.

Also, parents’ fear of head injury and the rise in popularity of soccer pushes more kids away from football.

It’s got to be more difficult to find good coaches too. They put up with a lot of BS.
It wouldn’t all of those facts be true in all states? Or just about every state? Doesn’t explain Pa.

It’s because Pa is a very old population, young people move away, and the stars in other states are the grandchildren of people that still live in Pa.

I had not understanding of the competition that Nick is facing. He he is so awesome looking that it just raised the question. This guys is unbelievable. Now that he is playing high competition, i can see why Saban wanted him.
He’s not a complete back yet. He has a chance to be special, but I think there’s a bust risk as well. Certainly hoping it goes the other way. Athleticism is certainly there. I’d be more concerned with the playbook than the competition.

So, I understand that theory and I acknowledge that Pennsylvania's population has aged....but, why?

Carnegie Mellon, Penn, and Penn State are pumping out tech executives and IT engineering talent right and left. Why hasn't Pennsylvania become Silicon Valley East? (I know, Virginia is really Silicon Valley East, but Pennsylvania has no excuses for not being all over the tech boom.)

And how does that exodus of population played out with, say, wrestling? Pennsylvania hands-down produces the best wrestling talent in the nation. And in basketball, Westtown School, Archbishop Wood, and Germantown Academy, among a few others, seem to have natebanswerional-level talent.

I don't think NAFTA is the whole answer here.
I think it is none of the answer... I look at my hometown in W PA. NAFTA came long after the economy in the town died. In fact, it brought some jobs back to my town. Families got smaller and parents emphasized other (so called safer sports). That is part of it.

That is correct.

Both those industries were well into decline by the mid-70s when I attended PSU.

Prof. Gerald Susman brought in executives from both industries for an undergraduate course I had one term. That was the topic.

In retrospect, probably the best course I took over my 4 years.
Also, Mifflin grad representing. At the time, we played in the Tri-County Conference. Won that in FB my sophomore year. Had a huge O line. (Baby Elephant Walk was the theme song the band played after good plays.)

Sent a TE to The U.

Kid from my senior class went to ASU.

Joe tried recruiting players regularly from these teams.

I played at Mifflin '60 and '61. Tri County Conference. We always played two Lehigh Valley schools and one Mid Penn. The "other HB" was a Parade AA and the FB was All State as well.

When I went on College football (at what is now D III,) I never felt overmatched. Back then, we always beat Wilson.

Ah, those were the days.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Private schools have played a big part in how tough different conferences are. Here in Maryland private schools don't play the Publics so the Maryland conference that they are referring to is all private schools some of which have kids from all over the country
St Francis Academy has gotten so good that only Good Counsel will play them. They play 7 of their 9 games against teams from outside the state of Maryland because non of the MIAA schools will play them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT