ADVERTISEMENT

GO EASY

DrJC

May 29, 2001
There are not a host of AVAILABLE prospects to replace Franklin. So I believe we are best to stay with him and try to correct what is wrong. First, to me the OL and OL coach are not doing the job and have not for a number of years. You cannot run the ball if there are no holes, no blocks downfield. And, it makes passing rushed leading to incompletions and interceptions. Second, there is a need for mental and physical toughness, ala Paterno. It was not often Joe got a 5 star player, but he and his coaches were able to make them 5 stars. Last, we need some smart play calling. If I remember correctly, we were on the 1 yard line and went for a field goal. If that were Michigan, they would have pounded it into the end zone.

Franklins changed OL coaches just about as much as he’s changed OC’s. Bout time people should realize the problem may not be the assistant coaches but the guy that hires and fires them.

FYI…Joe got plenty of 5* players.

Everyone agrees OL has been a bit of a disaster, especially considering the talent brought in, i guess I’ll give Traut another season to coach them up but so far, not so good.

But seems to me DL has played pretty well this year. Tangelo and AK have had great seasons out of the portal. Luketa has been a monster, night and day better than LB last season. losing Mustipher hurts but DT depth behind him has developed with Ellies and Izzard playing pretty well inside. Lost Hakeem Beamon, Adisa Isaac, Mustipher possibly three starters and the depth has generally held up. Just my opinion but DL seems solid.

Franklins changed OL coaches just about as much as he’s changed OC’s. Bout time people should realize the problem may not be the assistant coaches but the guy that hires and fires them.

One of the mainstays of the Paterno era was consistency. Same with the Steelers, ‘bama, and many top programs. Perhaps it’s time to keep the staff together for three years or so.

Not only do we have a new OL coach but a new OC, and an entirely new system on offense. Not RPO based for the first time in many years. That means the back up QB was a RPO type guy that no longer fits. Maybe the o line is in the same boat. Totally new blocking schemes and techniques. Different mind set. Different athletic requirements.

With a great recruiting class coming in another year with the same would be beneficial.

Reactions: bison13
There are not a host of AVAILABLE prospects to replace Franklin. So I believe we are best to stay with him and try to correct what is wrong. First, to me the OL and OL coach are not doing the job and have not for a number of years. You cannot run the ball if there are no holes, no blocks downfield. And, it makes passing rushed leading to incompletions and interceptions. Second, there is a need for mental and physical toughness, ala Paterno. It was not often Joe got a 5 star player, but he and his coaches were able to make them 5 stars. Last, we need some smart play calling. If I remember correctly, we were on the 1 yard line and went for a field goal. If that were Michigan, they would have pounded it into the end zone.
Sorry, but Franklin trying to get a new contract with the last 2 years.....after singing a 6 year deal 2 years go....he can either stay or go, but I'm indifferent with him now. He's as loyal as his options are and I don't buy anything he says anymore. I get he recruited well this year, but holding the school hostage with no real improvement after signing that deal 2 years ago....is a load of BS. There are a ton of coaches that could get PSU to 4-5 and 7-5 seasons.

Reactions: Cpeplion
One of the mainstays of the Paterno era was consistency. Same with the Steelers, ‘bama, and many top programs. Perhaps it’s time to keep the staff together for three years or so.

Not only do we have a new OL coach but a new OC, and an entirely new system on offense. Not RPO based for the first time in many years. That means the back up QB was a RPO type guy that no longer fits. Maybe the o line is in the same boat. Totally new blocking schemes and techniques. Different mind set. Different athletic requirements.

With a great recruiting class coming in another year with the same would be beneficial.
I’m a life long Penn State fan for over 65 years and not a complainer. But Jesus, Mary and Joseph, could the crux of this problem simply be the players? How damn difficult is it to just occasionally fire out, and drive the guy lined up right in front of you back a step or two. Or perhaps not act like a turnstile attendant against defensive tackles or ends (the majority of whom won’t be playing in the NFL). Neither of these tasks require mastery of complex blocking schemes or different offensive philosophies. Unfortunately our 0 linemen seem incapable of this.
I guess I shouldn’t complain, at least their not blocking each other. And I do remember that from Franklins first year because of the sanctions.

I’m a life long Penn State fan for over 65 years and not a complainer. But Jesus, Mary and Joseph, could the crux of this problem simply be the players? How damn difficult is it to just occasionally fire out, and drive the guy lined up right in front of you back a step or two. Or perhaps not act like a turnstile attendant against defensive tackles or ends (the majority of whom won’t be playing in the NFL). Neither of these tasks require mastery of complex blocking schemes or different offensive philosophies. Unfortunately our 0 linemen seem incapable of this.
I guess I shouldn’t complain, at least their not blocking each other. And I do remember that from Franklins first year because of the sanctions.
You mean that Walker looked like a matador on the first two plays and a fat and slow one at that? As pathetic as it gets. But hey it’s all Franklin’s fault right.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

All points well taken. I only have 2 issues with Franklin. 1 the discipline on the field issue. I gave no problem with the exhuberance by players on the field of play...but goading a guy that is injuried telling him you aren't covering him...is beyond undisciplined. It is both stupid and undisciplined. Additionally, it is time for Franklin to pitch his book in the trash. Let Yurcick call 99.9% of the calls.
I never want to hear these words from Franklin in a post game presser. "I would make that call again".

For me it isn’t so much about the wins and losses. It’s about playing tough smart motivated Penn State football. There are plenty of candidates that can produce that through hard work in the gym and practice fields and great TEACHING and COACHING.

You mean that Walker looked like a matador on the first two plays and a fat and slow one at that? As pathetic as it gets. But hey it’s all Franklin’s fault right.
Please take a moment out of your busy schedule and explain to me where I ever alluded to this failing being Franklins fault. While I believe many of his game day decisions are bizarre at best, recruiting O linemen is more of a crap shoot than any other position. I won’t condemn him for that. But what’s more troubling is the fact that the same people keep being trotted out every week. Which means that either him and/or Trautwien are incredibly stubborn, or the back ups are even worse with little chance of improvement. And that’s a scary thought regarding the future.

The assistants are good to have around for deflecting blame.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Maybe he can get a new OL coach or OC again this year....because that sure has been working well? If the OL are whiffing like crazy and they are with no signs of improvement.... yeah...that will eventually blow back on the coaching. How is it 2nd and 3rd year guys don't know who to block? TE's? RB's? Do you really think that offense is all on the same page? It doesn't appear to be that way, but maybe the 4th OC in 4 years will fix the OL whiffing in back to back plays to start off the 10th game of the year.

Well, Franklin recruited them. His coaches coach them. And his coaches scheme the offense.....

Well, Franklin recruited them. His coaches coach them. And his coaches scheme the offense.....
Well I went out with a bevy of women. Thought I scouted them pretty good, even sought out some experienced opinions. And married two of them. Neither worked out, so I’m somewhat forgiving of others selections in just about any endeavor.😂🤣😇🤩🥸

Well I went out with a bevy of women. Thought I scouted them pretty good, even sought out some experienced opinions. And married two of them. Neither worked out, so I’m somewhat forgiving of others selections in just about any endeavor.😂🤣😇🤩🥸
You must be a lousy wife coach. Course, no one is successful at that.......🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: Thomas1945
I missed on my only attempt. However, I give myself credit for being smart enough not to try a second time.

Who is responsible?

If the gutters are full of leaves, the lawn furniture is still out on the deck, the car has not had the oil changed, the bills are not paid, and
the fireplace is filled with debris who can I blame?

CJF has 6.5 million reasons he should have his job done.

Yeh, but you were not paid $6.5 million to get it right.

O for 2 has to be a life sentence of working for the man (woman) .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT