ADVERTISEMENT

Given a choice between Franklin and Harbaugh

KPG55

Oct 9, 2001
I would take Harbaugh in a second. Does anyone think Franklin is a better coach / has more potential than JH?

I like JF and I think he has a chance to be a solid coach. But if Harbaugh was our coach, we would be loving it ...

In the short term, I'd take Harbaugh as well.
But I want a coach that will be here for 20 years, and there is no way JH will be a 20 year coach.

Reactions: zzangeneh
I would take Harbaugh in a second. Does anyone think Franklin is a better coach / has more potential than JH?

I like JF and I think he has a chance to be a solid coach. But if Harbaugh was our coach, we would be loving it ...

I'm not sure my digestive system could co-exist with Harbaugh. I didn't like him as a player at Michigan or with Da'Bears and I didn't / don't like him as a coach with the 49ers or at Michigan. I just don't like him, period.

But, to be fair, he probably wouldn't like me either!

635691226945789850-AP-Michigan-Harbaugh-Camp-Fo.jpg

Franklin ...Harbaugh's name is too hard to spell and there is a 50/50 chance he pulls a Woody Hayes his first year on the sideline.

Just kidding. I think Harbaugh is all Michigan and Franklin is a local boy and fits our school better.

Reactions: psu1969a

Sorry, I would much rather have Franklin. I'm not convinced that JH is that much of a better football coach, but even if he is I would rather lose a few more football games than embarrass the sh!t out of my university because the coach is a nimrod.

At this point, I would take Franklin by a mile. However, if we don't see some progress this year, and more progress next year, I would reconsider. Maybe Harbaugh at that point. There is just no good apples to apples comparison situations of the two so far, and otherwise, Franklin has done everything perfectly IMO.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Add me to the list of people who would pick Franklin. If we were talking about an NFL position, I'd answer different. Want a college coach who cares about his players, wants to run a clean program with solid academics, and is enthusiastic about the school he's working for? It's hard to beat Franklin for the long haul, I think.

For Penn State, I d take Franklin. Harbaugh will be very successful at Michigan but he wouldn t fit here and he s not very likeable. As someone said, i d take Meyer over either.

So would I.
All these replies of giving up on PSU if JH were coach are stupid. If he were here they would all say how great he is.
I have met Harbaugh and he is a very amicable regular guy. Met JF but it was at a charity event and he was very cool too. But with so many hands to shake and autographs to sign was tough to talk to him one on one.

Stupid thread. JF or a guy that would never come here. Maybe you can start a Hack or Brady thread next.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

So you woke up this morning and thought it would be cool to post something controversial? Bored?

I'd be loving McDonald's and Ronald before I'd be loving Harbaugh.

Last edited:
Hmm....lets see. Harbaugh hammered UM for putting football ahead of their athletes when he was HC at Stanford. Today, he does the same. But he is a good recruiter and game time coach. We'll see how long he can control himself before alienating players, parents, fans, alumni, boosters and/or management.

I have not been impressed with CJF's game time coaching and game planning. At the same time, he's coaching with one hand and the thumb of his other hand tied behind his back. So we'll see what happens when CJF and Harbaugh are on even footing.

Regardless, I haven't been embarrassed by anything CJF has done. Just the opposite, really. He's positive, has energy and represents well. If I was a UM fan, I'd be a supporter at this time, but based on his actions and history, I'd be a little alarmed.

It's common knowledge now that Joe had hand picked Urban Meyer as his replacement. Meyer backed out after the Sandusky scandal hit.

It is true that Joe wanted Urbs as his succesor. But Urbs never was coming to PSU. Do a little research and you''l see this. The Sandusky Scandal just gave him a convenient exit stage left.

It is true that Joe wanted Urbs as his succesor. But Urbs never was coming to PSU. Do a little research and you''l see this. The Sandusky Scandal just gave him a convenient exit stage left.

Then his daughter attending penn state was just a coincidence?

Add me to the list of people who would pick Franklin. If we were talking about an NFL position, I'd answer different. Want a college coach who cares about his players, wants to run a clean program with solid academics, and is enthusiastic about the school he's working for? It's hard to beat Franklin for the long haul, I think.
You described Jim Harbaugh to a t

Here's the thing with Harbaugh...how long is his shelf life? There is no doubt the guy can coach and recruit. However, he is obnoxious and egotistical. How long before the powers at Michigan get tired of dealing with him? As soon as I predict in 5 years he will have worn out his welcome.
As for CJF, I think we will find out if he is as good as his Vandy record over the next two years. I'm far from his biggest supporter, but even I can say he deserves this year and next.

Here's the thing with Harbaugh...how long is his shelf life? There is no doubt the guy can coach and recruit. However, he is obnoxious and egotistical. How long before the powers at Michigan get tired of dealing with him? As soon as I predict in 5 years he will have worn out his welcome.
As for CJF, I think we will find out if he is as good as his Vandy record over the next two years. I'm far from his biggest supporter, but even I can say he deserves this year and next.

If he wins at Michigan, he'll be a lifer unless some NFL team comes along and offers unheard of money, and even then it's not a given.

Take PSU and Michigan out of the picture, picking a a coach for another school, I'd take Harbaugh.

If he wins at Michigan, he'll be a lifer unless some NFL team comes along and offers unheard of money, and even then it's not a given.

Take PSU and Michigan out of the picture, picking a a coach for another school, I'd take Harbaugh.

And I'd take Calipari for basketball at another school, but not Penn State. I would take Franklin over Harbaugh without a doubt.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Which daughter was that?

OK, I googled it. I guess I was guilty of taking an internet rumor and accepting it as fact. I may not be the first to do so, but I will still admit when I am wrong. I could find no evidence of his daughters going to Penn State and thus my thread of reason here was without support.

Joe could have suggested that Urban Meyer replace him, and Urban Meyer could have entertained the idea of coaching at Penn State, it's only speculation though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT