ADVERTISEMENT

Get off Rahne's case, guys

Regarding the OP premise that he’s not getting fired...probably true but he should be. Play calling absolutely sucks.

Is it the play calling or is it the execution? I ask because I could swear I saw the team move right down the field only to have a WR drop a sure TD pass to end the first half at 13-0 instead of 17-0. I also saw the RB put the ball on the ground at around the 5yard line. that probably negated another score.
Yes I have had some issues with RR play calling and game plans but there is also a ton of missed opportunities by the the QB and WR to point all the fingers at RR.
I know the board was clamoring for 2 RB's sets, more touches for Hammler, more screens, and to get Dotson and Hammler on the field simultaneously. Check, Check, Check and Check.

No! He sucked calling plays today! We should have run for 200 yards. Instead we pass on 2nd and 3rd down needing just 3-4 yards.

Well its not like our OL was blowing open huge holes for Miles.
But yea we probably should have run it a little more. Especially with the problems Trace was having in the first half.
But then that is my main complaint with RR and the Stevens package. No rhyme or reason for when its used. If there was a better time to try it out in the first half on Sat. I'm not sure when it was.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Option Bob
bs. rahne isn't throwing passes behind guys or over their heads. if trace puts those throws on the mark, the play works, we move chains and score points. then the plays magically look good. as i said, will always love trace, but right now, he's not the same player. in a candid moment, i suspect trace would say the same thing.

+100

Reactions: Aloha T
I said last week I’d rather see Fran Ganter calling plays. A lot of head scratching decisions, confusing route selections, too many QB runs called at awkward times. I’m sure he’s a decent guy but he’s not ready to be a big time OC by a long shot. So if we are ok with not being elite or “bigtime” then it makes sense to keep him around

Here's a question I ask to everyone that complains about RR calling too many QB runs. (and I know I've done it too) but is it RR call or is Trace and or Tommy making the call? With the RPO I'm not sure who or what the play call should have been. :confused:

The "Hack regressed under Franklin" story is bogus. He had a decent line in front so he could stand in the pocket like a statue and an NFL quality receiver to catch his passes. Once they were gone, he was exposed. Since that time he's been in front of 3 or 4 NFL teams and has not played a down in the regular season, even in garbage time.

Regarding the OC, I don't think the Offense is missing JoMo as much as it's missing Barkley.

+100

The last 7 games of 2017 - including matchups w 4 highly ranked teams..... OSU, UMich, MSU and UWash......

Penn State scored 296 points

42+ points per game - against maybe the toughest schedule in the country.
(Only once scoring less than 35)

So, when the F - exactly - did “teams figure out the RPO” in 2017?
THAT is your “hot take”?

Do people even think - for one F-Ing millisecond - before posting such utter, abject, quantifiable, unmitigated nonsense?

Honest to God.
Really?

What the F would lead you to such a conclusion? And then to “post” it as if it were fact?

It’s F-Ing amazing.
Jeebzus

So let's go back to the line that made Norm's head explode -- my observation that some teams had figured out the RPO last year.

The statement was made with respect to the running game, a context Norm conveniently ignored and edited out.

Entirely missing the point, Norm indignantly exclaims that Penn State scored 296 points the last seven games of the year.

I know that, Norm, and 35 -- to include 550 yards of offense -- came in the bowl game with your villain Rahne in charge. Against a pretty good country defense. But never mind that.

Here's a few more numbers: 47, 56, 44, 63, 35. No, those aren't points scored by the offense. Those are some game-total yards gained by the best back in the country. The 35, for example, were against Rutgers.

The running plays in the RPO are slow to develop. That's all I said. The record bears it out.

Fortunately, when you have as many weapons and playmakers as we did last year, and a QB firing on all cylinders, you're gonna score points regardless.

On the other hand, when you have fewer weapons and fewer guys making plays and a QB off his game, well, you blame the OC.

Listen, at the end of the day, you can rant and rave all you want, but Rahne isn't going anywhere. Not because he's a crackerjack coordinator. But because the results, at worst, are mixed this year, and one season is not enough to come to a fair conclusion about his competence.

By the way, here's a third question for you: Are you going to be pulling for Penn State this Saturday, or would you prefer we lose so you can continue to indulge your grudge against Rahne and the coaching staff?

So let's go back to the line that made Norm's head explode -- my observation that some teams had figured out the RPO last year.

The statement was made with respect to the running game, a context Norm conveniently ignored and edited out.

Entirely missing the point, Norm indignantly exclaims that Penn State scored 296 points the last seven games of the year.

I know that, Norm, and 35 -- to include 550 yards of offense -- came in the bowl game with your villain Rahne in charge. Against a pretty good country defense. But never mind that.

Here's a few more numbers: 47, 56, 44, 63, 35. No, those aren't points scored by the offense. Those are some game-total yards gained by the best back in the country. The 35, for example, were against Rutgers.

The running plays in the RPO are slow to develop. That's all I said. The record bears it out.

Fortunately, when you have as many weapons and playmakers as we did last year, and a QB firing on all cylinders, you're gonna score points regardless.

On the other hand, when you have fewer weapons and fewer guys making plays and a QB off his game, well, you blame the OC.

Listen, at the end of the day, you can rant and rave all you want, but Rahne isn't going anywhere. Not because he's a crackerjack coordinator. But because the results, at worst, are mixed this year, and one season is not enough to come to a fair conclusion about his competence.

By the way, here's a third question for you: Are you going to be pulling for Penn State this Saturday, or would you prefer we lose so you can continue to indulge your grudge against Rahne and the coaching staff?

+1

I've kept neutral on Rahne being his first year and with a lot of unknown variables. That said I'm curious to see how we do in our bowl game as he'll have time to prepare with a hopefully more healthy team and a better understanding of our personnel. I think that might give us a more fair evaluation

Reactions: Aloha T and BBrown
Two Rahne red flags for me. Thinking the direct snap zone read with Sanders was going to work against Michigan and splitting McSorley out wide when they brought Stevens in against Wisconsin. That screams of lack of imagination and not truly knowing your opponent. Did he think Don Brown was going to be fooled by that again?

Reactions: 81b&w and BBrown
Two Rahne red flags for me. Thinking the direct snap zone read with Sanders was going to work against Michigan and splitting McSorley out wide when they brought Stevens in against Wisconsin. That screams of lack of imagination and not truly knowing your opponent. Did he think Don Brown was going to be fooled by that again?

Yes those are 2 excellent examples. If I rolled my eyes anymore during the Wiscy game, when Trace was at WR, they would have gotten stuck in the back of my head.
My other major complaint is the "Stevens package" and not having a clue as to when to use it.

Yes those are 2 excellent examples. If I rolled my eyes anymore during the Wiscy game, when Trace was at WR, they would have gotten stuck in the back of my head.
My other major complaint is the "Stevens package" and not having a clue as to when to use it.

I really wish they would have used Stevens more as a TE when he came in to mix things up. Last year he scored a TD on a pass route and blew right by the LB trying to cover him. He's a great athlete that they for all intents and purposes set up for failure due to the lack of imagination when he comes in. There are too many young innovative offensive coordinators out there for me to sit here and not complain about this offense. Scary how bad they are playing right now and we have fans thinking they should be playing on New Years day. I just hope they beat Maryland.

Reactions: RU31trap and BBrown
In addition to providing those glorious flashbacks to the JayP/GalenHall era :) ….. has Rahne shown - at any time - a level of competence above that of JayP and or John Donovan (among others)?

I know.... rhetorical question. No doubt :)

JMO but the data is incomplete. I want to see what happens when the QB is at least marginally accurate and the WR's are catching the passes and its year 1. I think we need to see 1 more year of it and then go from there.
The area I'm looking at a little closer is Limegrover. Not at all impressed with this years version of the OL.
Maybe its the "scheme"?
I would like RR to completely revamp the offense next year and incorporate a lot more power and less RPO or like Chester said in another post similar to what The KC Chiefs are doing.

Rahne doesn't throw the ball and he doesn't catch it. He didn't make the bad passes and he didn't drop the good ones. The fact is that if the receivers didn't drop so many passes that hit them in the hands or miss so many wide open receivers, State would be 9 - 1 instead of 7 - 3. Did he make some bad calls? Sure. In hindsight, who doesn't. Saban's made some bad calls - but they wouldn't have been bad if they'd worked.

Reactions: BBrown
I really wish they would have used Stevens more as a TE when he came in to mix things up. Last year he scored a TD on a pass route and blew right by the LB trying to cover him. He's a great athlete that they for all intents and purposes set up for failure due to the lack of imagination when he comes in. There are too many young innovative offensive coordinators out there for me to sit here and not complain about this offense. Scary how bad they are playing right now and we have fans thinking they should be playing on New Years day. I just hope they beat Maryland.

If Trace was healthy I would like to see us run some option with the new 2 RB set we are using. But since he's not I would love to see Stevens run it. Honestly there were times in the first half on Sat. that I thought Stevens should have been playing. And thats my "gripe" about the "Lion Package or Stevens Package." In the OSU and MSU games the offense is moving just fine and going down the field then we trot out the "Lion".
On Sat. we couldn't get moving offensively and Trace was horrible but yet we are trying to throw the ball all over the field. I don't get it.:confused:

Reactions: Option Bob
Just s guess - I think Rahne was reluctant to change too much going into Trace’s last season. Next year will be different with a QB change, and the offensive scheme will change more dramatically next year then it did this year. I think he will tailor the offense more to the strengths of the QBs but why that might look like is anyone’s guess at this point. He still needs to run the offense that Franklin wants.

.... Rahne ... still needs to run the offense that Franklin wants.

We can surely cite instances that suggest a lack of aptitude, but this is at the core of it all.

Franklin is a one-quarterback, run-the-quarterback guy. That carries with it inherent risk that will hurt you more often than not.

We'll be relevant every few years once each selected QB matures, but by then he'll be banged up, gun shy, bearing the weight of the team, and so forth -- just like what we're seeing with PSU's Greatest Ever.

Base case (every year) our QB isn't going to throw as well as he would otherwise. IMO, it's a net loss strategy even if injury is avoided.

Some schools (like Army with their Flexbone) may feel forced into a strategy that runs the QB, but Penn State should be able to get plenty of good quarterbacks that can throw, and plenty of good backs that can run. It can get linemen with NFL potential. There is no reason to avoid a pro-style offense. It even prepares players better for the NFL.

NFL teams are one-quarterback. They don't run the QB for a reason.

The offense certainly looks horrendous but I really would like to see a quality opponent in a bowl game. It'll give Trace a chance to heal up and the coaches a chance to re-evaluate what they've been doing offensively. The team will have purpose with a big name opponent and we'll get a chance to hopefully send Trace out with a good win and see how Rhane does when he has some time to evaluate things. How much of it is just Trace being hurt and not able to be accurate down the field and how much of it is play calling and poor wide receiver play? If Trace hits a few of the downfield throws he's always made and the receivers just do what they're capable of, the offensive outlook looks a lot different. If we go play a quality opponent in a bowl game with a healthy qb and we still look the same then clearly some changes need to be made. The talent on the offensive side is too good to look the way it has the past month or so.

The offense was averaging 49 points/game up to and including the tOSU game when Trace got beat up. The only fault I find is that maybe Trace needed a couple of weeks off to heal up, and he hasn't had them.

P5 Teams who have QBs who have run for 500 or more yards are:

51 and 26 this year

PSU: 8-3
Illinois: 4-7
Syracuse: 8-3
UVA: 7-4
Oklahoma: 10-1
Georgie Tech: 7-4
Mississippi St: 7-4

Last Year?

120 and 62
(Louisville, Arizona, GTech, MissSt, Bama, ND, tOSU, Wake, Clemson, Syracuse, MichSt, Utah, Duke, KState)

If "running QBs" teams win 2 out of 3 games in college football...… I don't think we are anywhere near seeing a decrease in running QBs in college football.

This data tells me that the top teams are not running the QB and/or that they don't want to run the QB if it can be avoided. Both Bama and tOSU have moved to passing QBs from their previous dual threat guys. And I would say that 500 yards through 11 games is a rather low threshold.

Statistics like this don't necessarily tell the story. For example, suppose we looked at only the PSU-OSU game from this year. We might conclude from the data that PSU runs the QB more than the RB. Just happened that it was what the defense allowed, i.e., scrambling and not QB designed runs.

If the only conclusion is that running QBs are here to stay in college football, well I would tend to agree. There aren't that many great passing QBs available, and even fewer relative to the number of teams at lower levels of football. See high school football where multi-back running offenses like the Flexbone and Wishbone are more prevalent. Army is skill-limited, so that's what they do. Getting up to the pros we see passing offenses with one RB, but still a reluctance to run the QB.

So if you have a good passer, and I think we do have at least one or two of these, it is rather foolish to use that guy as a runner.

To Nit1300's desire to rest McSorley a couple of weeks, how do you do that and not hurt the team, given that the backups have been played very little at QB? They weren't played when they could have been played. Therein lies the hidden cost to this offense with a one-quarterback policy.

Read somewhere that coming in Rutgers def against run ranked around 119 and pass defense at 25. We tied a season high with 36 attempted passes. And that scheme seemed the choice from first series of game. Thoughts?
Another observation on Trace’s condition...appears ok running straight ahead but has not shown ability to cut. That is contributing greatly to his decreased efficiency.
I would have liked to have seen more running as well, but these rankings are often very misleading. Are they 25th in passing because everyone runs against them or does everyone run against them because their pass defense is so good? I know we easily should have scored in the 30’s except for a dropped pass and a fumble, but who knows.

:rolleyes:

“2+2 doesn’t equal 4 GD it!!!..... it equals 7!!!!
It equals 7!!!
It equals 7!!!
It equals 7!!!
It equals 7!!!

And Black is White!!!! ..... and the Sun rises in the West!!!”

OK
Gotcha’

Can’t “argue” with your logic :eek:

Jeebzus.
You are a definite “stoopid” Olympian.
Maybe a gold medal favorite.

Back to your condescending self. I'm disappointed. Thought we had turned a page and got past debate through name-calling. What is it? Booze? Drugs? Divorce? Or were you raised to be this way? You don't represent Penn State very well.

P5 Teams who have QBs who have run for 500 or more yards are:

51 and 26 this year

PSU: 8-3
Illinois: 4-7
Syracuse: 8-3
UVA: 7-4
Oklahoma: 10-1
Georgie Tech: 7-4
Mississippi St: 7-4

Last Year?

120 and 62
(Louisville, Arizona, GTech, MissSt, Bama, ND, tOSU, Wake, Clemson, Syracuse, MichSt, Utah, Duke, KState)

If "running QBs" teams win 2 out of 3 games in college football...… I don't think we are anywhere near seeing a decrease in running QBs in college football.
By this logic, you are calling an 8-4 season acceptable ( 2 out of 3)...Can you imagine the bitchin' here if that's the record?

Back to your condescending self. I'm disappointed. Thought we had turned a page and got past debate through name-calling. What is it? Booze? Drugs? Divorce? Or were you raised to be this way? You don't represent Penn State very well.
He’s an f’n idiot. I had one person on ignore ever...I now have two.

He’s an f’n idiot. I had one person on ignore ever...I now have two.

What's incredible is that everybody knows who he is, but even that isn't a deterrent.

If I'm so stupid, that must not say much for a Penn State engineering degree, much less one with distinction.

It wouldn't matter if Barry is Einstein and we are all mentally retarded. It's inappropriate in any scenario.

Reactions: sluggo72
Well tell me which QB coach he had in the NFL or which QB guru he worked with that was
able to get him (Hack) to improve?
I'll wait....
I'm not sure what this has to with anything or at least to the point I was making. Do you believe he was good in his freshman year? Do you believe he regressed after his freshman year?

I'm not sure what this has to with anything or at least to the point I was making. Do you believe he was good in his freshman year? Do you believe he regressed after his freshman year?
The answer is None. The fact that BOB never looked at him at Texas speaks volumes.

I don't believe Hack regressed, but rather was the beneficiary of being surrounded by much a more experienced (and talented) O-Line which gave him more time to stand in the pocket and wait for the play to develop in his first year. As a freshman he threw some good passes and some god-awful ones, and that never improved. i also think that BOB had simplified the playbook but under CJF in years 2 & 3 the up-front talent was depleted and he was asked to do more. I also recall there were a number of stories around about how difficult he was for the coaches to work with and how hard they tried to get him to correct his footwork, among other things.

Reactions: BBrown

The point is or was that after multiple QB gurus to get Hack ready for the draft and multiple NFL teams and different QB coaches NONE of them were able to get Hack any better. So I don't think Franklin, Rahne or Donovan have any part in the Hack progressed/regressed argument.
Do I think Hack was good in his Freshman year? Yes. I thought he was a good Freshman QB that had a decent OL in front of him, an NFL pro-bowl type WR in Alan Robinson and some very good TE's and a HC that ran a pro style offense.
After the sanctions really started to hit, not so much.

Reactions: stormingnorm
The point is or was that after multiple QB gurus to get Hack ready for the draft and multiple NFL teams and different QB coaches NONE of them were able to get Hack any better. So I don't think Franklin, Rahne or Donovan have any part in the Hack progressed/regressed argument.
Do I think Hack was good in his Freshman year? Yes. I thought he was a good Freshman QB that had a decent OL in front of him, an NFL pro-bowl type WR in Alan Robinson and some very good TE's and a HC that ran a pro style offense.
After the sanctions really started to hit, not so much.
If he truly was a great QB with all this skill, he would have had success regardless of the offensive scheme. Great players make plays and they make their coaches look good. Lamar Jackson lit it up at Louisville, then after he leaves the coach gets fired during the season. Obviously the coaching had nothing to do with his success.

I dont fault RR play calling. The plays called are what they are. For example in Philly vs the Staints, first play for Philly, outside zone, no gain (or loss?) first play for the Staints, outside zone, gain +11.
Until PSU gets its running game fixed, and/or changes the blocking scheme, we will have what we have. Is RR a part of that? Perhaps, but I think he is working at the direction of his boss, and to a certain extent, the run game coordinator, who is not RR. We ran inside zone 2x that I remember both gains of 10, the other plays were we pull OG, OT seem to get blown up. Ricky can stay as far as I am concerned!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT