ADVERTISEMENT

Get off Rahne's case, guys

Rahne has yet to demonstrate that he is good QB coach. Hack regressed under his tutelage and so has Trace. We will have to see what happens with Tommy and Sean.

He did have some success at Vanderbilt with transfer QBs, but you could also say Donovan had some success there as well.
bs. rahne isn't throwing passes behind guys or over their heads. if trace puts those throws on the mark, the play works, we move chains and score points. then the plays magically look good. as i said, will always love trace, but right now, he's not the same player. in a candid moment, i suspect trace would say the same thing.

The demands that he be fired are pure fantasy. There is zero chance of that happening. In fact, it would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.

OK, nobody is gonna say the man is the second coming of Bill Walsh. And definitely, some of the play-calling can be questioned, especially in hindsight. (Everything is always clearer in hindsight.)

But every game and every season will have a certain quota of bad play-calls. Seriously, if you watch the film from last year, believe it or not, there was questionable play-calling at times. By JoMo, the supposed wizard, no less. (By the way, how's his offense at Mississippi State doing?)

Now let's look at the record this year. For the first four games, two of which were against decent teams, Penn State was statistically one of the top offenses in the country. The first three quarters against Ohio State weren't shabby either. Unfortunately, it hasn't been the same since.

Again, check the tape. You'll see that our receivers started to make a habit of dropping balls, killing drives again and again. Then, after we found some guys who catch the ball more consistently, Trace went into a funk. (Exhibit A: today's game against Rutgers).

Maybe it's Trace's knee. Maybe it's his head. Who knows. But it's been very damaging to the offense.

Fact is, if some guys had stepped up and made some catches they should have made, and if Trace had made some throws that he used to make, then nobody would be having this conversation.

Again, I'm not saying Rahne is a genius. I'm not even saying he's a good OC. I'm just saying that the jury is still out and that to blame him for the three losses -- and ugly wins like today's -- is silly and not justified by the record or the videotape or the statistics.

Honestly, my bigger concern after today is #24, an outstanding back who did way too much dancing and failed to hit the holes with the quickness and authority that he typically does. I sure hope he's back to normal next Saturday.

Speaking of next Saturday, that's a Big Game. Maryland is not a gimme, as Ohio State found out today. If we beat the Terps, we will finish 9-3, and worst case, we will play on New Year's Day against an SEC team. Either that or a NY6 bowl.

Y'all may consider that an unsuccessful season, but I do not. As for Rahne, let's compare notes one year from now when we'll have more data and can come to a fairer verdict about the man.

bs. rahne isn't throwing passes behind guys or over their heads. if trace puts those throws on the mark, the play works, we move chains and score points. then the plays magically look good. as i said, will always love trace, but right now, he's not the same player. in a candid moment, i suspect trace would say the same thing.
And why is that? Rahne has been an OC for how long? What is his track record as an OC? How long has he been a QB coach?

But you know what, with his track record, I guess he is a great OC and QB coach. With his track record, I shouldn't be questioning otherwise.

The strange thing is that I'm not even against Rahne. Just highlighting some points under this tenure thus far. Maybe it is aberration, but how would we know? It is not like he has been super successful elsewhere. You could argue that PSU is 9-3 with him as OC and you would be right. Pry has even better record, so does JF. So there is that.

Last edited:
We played the first nine games with only one WR. Hard to overcome the poor play at WR and the loss of three of the B1G’s best offensive players. Apples to apples was the Fiesta Biwl, our best offence of the year

Last edited:
And why is that? Rahne has been an OC for how long? What is his track record as an OC? How long has he been a QB coach?

But you know what, with his track record, I guess he is a great OC and QB coach. With his track record, I shouldn't be questioning otherwise.

The strange thing is that I'm not even against Rahne. Just highlighting some points under this tenure thus far. Maybe it is aberration, but how would we know? It is not like he has been super successful elsewhere. You could argue that PSU is 9-3 with him as OC and you would be right. Pry has even better record, so does JF. So there is that.
check the story where trace says he's had accuracy problems all year. he makes the throws, we move the ball, play call works.

The demands that he be fired are pure fantasy. There is zero chance of that happening. In fact, it would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.

OK, nobody is gonna say the man is the second coming of Bill Walsh. And definitely, some of the play-calling can be questioned, especially in hindsight. (Everything is always clearer in hindsight.)

But every game and every season will have a certain quota of bad play-calls. Seriously, if you watch the film from last year, believe it or not, there was questionable play-calling at times. By JoMo, the supposed wizard, no less. (By the way, how's his offense at Mississippi State doing?)

Now let's look at the record this year. For the first four games, two of which were against decent teams, Penn State was statistically one of the top offenses in the country. The first three quarters against Ohio State weren't shabby either. Unfortunately, it hasn't been the same since.

Again, check the tape. You'll see that our receivers started to make a habit of dropping balls, killing drives again and again. Then, after we found some guys who catch the ball more consistently, Trace went into a funk. (Exhibit A: today's game against Rutgers).

Maybe it's Trace's knee. Maybe it's his head. Who knows. But it's been very damaging to the offense.

Fact is, if some guys had stepped up and made some catches they should have made, and if Trace had made some throws that he used to make, then nobody would be having this conversation.

Again, I'm not saying Rahne is a genius. I'm not even saying he's a good OC. I'm just saying that the jury is still out and that to blame him for the three losses -- and ugly wins like today's -- is silly and not justified by the record or the videotape or the statistics.

Honestly, my bigger concern after today is #24, an outstanding back who did way too much dancing and failed to hit the holes with the quickness and authority that he typically does. I sure hope he's back to normal next Saturday.

Speaking of next Saturday, that's a Big Game. Maryland is not a gimme, as Ohio State found out today. If we beat the Terps, we will finish 9-3, and worst case, we will play on New Year's Day against an SEC team. Either that or a NY6 bowl.

Y'all may consider that an unsuccessful season, but I do not. As for Rahne, let's compare notes one year from now when we'll have more data and can come to a fairer verdict about the man.
TLDR

check the story where trace says he's had accuracy problems all year. he makes the throws, we move the ball, play call works.
And why has he had accuracy issues all year? Who is his positional coach? Why didn't he have accuracy issues in the previous two years under a different QB coach? I would be interesting in knowing b/c I don't. All I know is that I agree with the first part of your sentence. So it appears that you are ruling out injury as a possible reason. AWS may disagree with you on that.

Criticizing play calling is the easiest target for the armchair experts. Any play that doesn’t work is a bad play after the fact. Even my wife can see what plays work or didn’t work after the fact. Doesn’t make you a football genius

I'm not a football genius. I don't get paid to be one. Rahne does.

Everything offensively you mention is called coaching and that falls under the offensive coordinator plain and simple. The fact that the offense has not improved and has regressed is also the fact that defensive coordinators know what rahne is going to do each week and rahne cannot adjust during the week or during the game. This is on him. What we witnessed today was astonishing.

He better make changes and coach his team before next week or we will lose to Maryland. He needs to get up by at least 14 plus early or Maryland will wake up and beat us. They want to go bowling and they will be in a. funk after today’s loss and that will stay with them if they get down early but the longer they stay in the game the better they will feel.

Geez, and I had this fan thing all wrong. All the sport shows and sports writers have it all wrong too. But as a fan, what should we do? We already root for the team, follow the team, and buy tickets/merch, but I'm really confused now. I guess we do those without discussing the team's play. We should say well that game sucked, but we won. Yay team. Gee we blew another game in the 4th quarter, that sucks, but yay team. Well, we didn't win today or play well at all, and feel really bad for the team, buy yay team. The board would really be boring then. It would probably be good for some people though. Maybe people shouldn't just invest in sports, and find a more positive hobby.

I do like to see PSU do well and will continue to root for them. Yay team.
No, it’s much better to yell “fire the coach” every time the team plays bad. That helps. Even better, “bench the QB”....that’s a winner too. Especially after a win...that makes everyone look like knowledgeable fans.

Reactions: BBrown and sluggo72
I know I keep repeating it, but the deep balls on first down are turning into drive killers. Maybe a healthy Trace would be making more of these throws, or maybe if we had some WR’s who could get 50:50 balls they would find some success. As it is, they are a waste of a down. It looks like these deep throws are the primary route on first downs, anyway. I am trying to think of the last time one was completed.
Trace is definitely off. His throwing motion looks different. He is uncharacteristically overthrowing a lot of wide open targets. The ability of the offense to move the ball, get first downs and score points has dropped off significantly since he was hurt. While I don’t think anybody can question Trace’s committment and toughness, I question the decision to keep him on the field so much and continue running him when he is injured.

I know I keep repeating it, but the deep balls on first down are turning into drive killers. Maybe a healthy Trace would be making more of these throws, or maybe if we had some WR’s who could get 50:50 balls they would find some success. As it is, they are a waste of a down. It looks like these deep throws are the primary route on first downs, anyway. I am trying to think of the last time one was completed.
Trace is definitely off. His throwing motion looks different. He is uncharacteristically overthrowing a lot of wide open targets. The ability of the offense to move the ball, get first downs and score points has dropped off significantly since he was hurt. While I don’t think anybody can question Trace’s committment and toughness, I question the decision to keep him on the field so much and continue running him when he is injured.
Please show me one coach on the planet who would bench Trace after all that he’s done for the program and all the games he’s won. And please don’t say Saban benched Hurts for Tua....it took Saban until halftime of the NC game to finally do that when Hurts struggled most of the year and he had possibly the best QB in the program’s history sitting on the bench behind him. So if anything, the Saban example actually supports Franklin keeping Trace in the game not the other way around.

Reactions: sluggo72
Please show me one coach on the planet who would bench Trace after all that he’s done for the program and all the games he’s won. And please don’t say Saban benched Hurts for Tua....it took Saban until halftime of the NC game to finally do that when Hurts struggled most of the year and he had possibly the best QB in the program’s history sitting on the bench behind him. So if anything, the Saban example actually supports Franklin keeping Trace in the game not the other way around.
Without knowing the exact nature of his injury, it is hard to say.
Comparing Trace before versus after the Iowa game injury, he is most definitely limited. I don’t know if having him take time off would allow him to get back closer to his early season form. We may never know.

Without knowing the exact nature of his injury, it is hard to say.
Comparing Trace before versus after the Iowa game injury, he is most definitely limited. I don’t know if having him take time off would allow him to get back closer to his early season form. We may never know.
As long as he is medically cleared to play, no coach would sit him. I’m sure all coaches (except the experts on this board) would view him as their best chance to win because he’s won so much in his career. OSU has had some poor games offensively, why didn’t they bench Haskins? And Haskins hasn’t had nearly the career success Trace has had. If you coach baseball and your best hitter is having a bad game, you don’t pinch hit for him...you expect him to be successful the next time up.

Reactions: sluggo72
As long as he is medically cleared to play, no coach would sit him. I’m sure all coaches (except the experts on this board) would view him as their best chance to win because he’s won so much in his career. OSU has had some poor games offensively, why didn’t they bench Haskins? And Haskins hasn’t had nearly the career success Trace has had. If you coach baseball and your best hitter is having a bad game, you don’t pinch hit for him...you expect him to be successful the next time up.
Would you say the same about a DE or LT ?
We don’t have all of the information. If having him take a week off would have gotten him close to 100%, it should have been done. There’s is no question he’s a winner and the team leader, but it’s also sad to watch him struggling out there.

Would you say the same about a DE or LT ?
We don’t have all of the information. If having him take a week off would have gotten him close to 100%, it should have been done. There’s is no question he’s a winner and the team leader, but it’s also sad to watch him struggling out there.
If Josh Allen from KY is banged up, you can bet your ass he’d still be playing as long as he was medically cleared to play even if he wasn’t 100%.

And why has he had accuracy issues all year? Who is his positional coach? Why didn't he have accuracy issues in the previous two years under a different QB coach? I would be interesting in knowing b/c I don't. All I know is that I agree with the first part of your sentence. So it appears that you are ruling out injury as a possible reason. AWS may disagree with you on that.
more bs. his position coach is making him inaccurateo_O? he's qbed for 4 years. give me a f&%#ing break. and i don't discount injury. i think that's a major reason. ergo, maybe someone else should be there right now. did you see him blame anyone else in that story? doesn't fit your agenda, though, does it?

I said last week I’d rather see Fran Ganter calling plays. A lot of head scratching decisions, confusing route selections, too many QB runs called at awkward times. I’m sure he’s a decent guy but he’s not ready to be a big time OC by a long shot. So if we are ok with not being elite or “bigtime” then it makes sense to keep him around

Last edited:

Good f’in post.

By JoMo, the supposed wizard, no less. (By the way, how's his offense at Mississippi State doing?)

Put up 52 points today vs Arkansas. They have struggled against the stronger SEC defenses though. i.e. ‘Bama, LSU, Florida.

By JoMo, the supposed wizard, no less. (By the way, how's his offense at Mississippi State doing?)

Put up 52 points today vs Arkansas. They have struggled against the stronger SEC defenses though. i.e. ‘Bama, LSU, Florida.

Doesn’t have the talent he had at PSU either....IMO

Hoping some of you negative nellies come to your senses and quit criticizing coaches. This team has performed well considering all the youth in all ranks. When McSorely is 100% healthy, this team fires on all cylinders. His running makes it all work. Today, he was playing hurt (IMHO) and he refrained from run. He had problems throwing the ball due to leg problem for the same reason. McS. has brought us this far, you must play him as long he wants to play. To finish the game, he ran the ball and got First Down. You can see he was in pain afterwards. Football is a game of loyalty from coaches to players and vice versa. Loyalty among the teammates is also very important.

Maryland game is a true test of this team. Maryland has extreme speed on O. Hoping our D is disciplined enough to stop big plays. They will figure it all out. Tommy may be needed next week ( all three QB's may be needed).

Enjoy the victory!

more bs. his position coach is making him inaccurateo_O? he's qbed for 4 years. give me a f&%#ing break. and i don't discount injury. i think that's a major reason. ergo, maybe someone else should be there right now. did you see him blame anyone else in that story? doesn't fit your agenda, though, does it?
My agenda, ha, ha, ha. I wasn't the one who posted that he has had issues with accuracy all season. If that is true, how could it be due to injury? Trace has too much class and is too good of a leader to call out a coach. In reality, it is probably related to numerous issues and the injury could be one. Whatever it is, Rahne apparently hasn't figured it out or at least it hasn't been corrected. Are you going to call b.s on that? I guess that is a rhetorical question.

By the way, if you read my posts, I have never said Rahne is 100% at fault. You have assumed that is what I meant. What I said was that two PSU QBs have regressed under his tutelage and he doesn't have much of a track record as a OC and QB coach. Maybe there are good reasons why they have regressed, but one didn't regress under BOB and one didn't regress under JoMo. If you need three data points for a pattern, we will find out next year.

Hoping some of you negative nellies come to your senses and quit criticizing coaches. This team has performed well considering all the youth in all ranks. When McSorely is 100% healthy, this team fires on all cylinders. His running makes it all work. Today, he was playing hurt (IMHO) and he refrained from run. He had problems throwing the ball due to leg problem for the same reason. McS. has brought us this far, you must play him as long he wants to play. To finish the game, he ran the ball and got First Down. You can see he was in pain afterwards. Football is a game of loyalty from coaches to players and vice versa. Loyalty among the teammates is also very important.

Maryland game is a true test of this team. Maryland has extreme speed on O. Hoping our D is disciplined enough to stop big plays. They will figure it all out. Tommy may be needed next week ( all three QB's may be needed).

Enjoy the victory!

Was Trace healthy vs MSU?

Agree re the dancing.

Other than a hand off to Sanders, this offense has nothing for ball control. That's what bothers me most about it. Felt the same when Moorhead was the OC. This is what you get when the HC is anxious to get "explosive plays." Make no mistake, Rahne's offense is a reflection of what Franklin wants to run. In it's current form it is ineffective without stellar QB play, on the ground and in the air.

The two-back set was a disappointment -- three guys almost shoulder-to-shoulder -- and nothing more than a swing pass option after some motion. I guess the playbook is already too thick.

We don't run-block well enough. Period. This is not an issue with Sanders. He's a good back. And Hamler, Dotson, and Freiermuth are good receivers. Most teams would have trouble defending these guys.

Like some PSU offenses of the past, once again there are areas of the field and patterns in the passing game that are practically off-limits. Why? Is Trace McSorley's height an issue?

I didn't think we played good defense today either. We have some future stars, but much of the defense played like freshman. We're lucky this was a hapless Rutgers team who turned the ball over -- on a platter.

We won the game, but would have lost to any team with a pulse. It was a LOSS in terms of style points. Not a good look if the goal was a NY6 bowl and you need to impress a committee. Maybe guys feel they would have more fun in Orlando.

Reactions: BBrown and 84Lion

You are an idiot! Mediocrity is acceptable to you and that makes me want to puke! Rahne and the rest of the offensive staff are terrible! Look at the stats since they don’t lie! He may not be fired, but he should be demoted! Wr coach needs to be fired! Please name one area of our offense that has improved this year? Are those crickets I hear?!?! We can’t consistently run the ball, we consistently drop passes, our play calling lacks any sort of creativity, and we returned 8 starters from last year. No excuses!

He's horrible, as is the HC on game day. End of story. Have all of the takent, can't coach. All of the Jimmy's and Joes, lack of x and o's

Rahne has yet to demonstrate that he is good QB coach. Hack regressed under his tutelage and so has Trace. We will have to see what happens with Tommy and Sean.

He did have some success at Vanderbilt with transfer QBs, but you could also say Donovan had some success there as well.

I dunno.. maybe we have seen that regression since Franklin apparently doesn't trust either backup against the worst team in football when his QB is clearly not even 50%.

As to #24... maybe he's been giving some thought (after all) to going pro and figured a breakout bingo vs lil sisters of the poor would get him some big nfl love. Instead, he couldn't do doodly except fumble away (again) his opportunity. Sanders is so much better than what he showed today but imo he had other ideas about things should go and we saw the result.

This team is not the team that played osu and my $ says that's about when Trace took a shot to the head and hasn't really been right since. Too bad, because this kid deserves to finish here as the greatest of them all.

Reactions: BBrown
... my $ says that's about when Trace took a shot to the head and hasn't really been right since....

And that is why if you're going to play/develop only one quarterback you're taking a heck of a risk by using him as a running back. What bothers me is the belief that there is a free lunch -- the idea that you can run the quarterback and it won't hurt his passing. Not buying it.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I too feel like the offense hasn't improved as the year as gone by. But we did lose a lot of firepower from last year and this is Rahne's first year as OC. They say teams and even staff make big strides from Year 1 to Year 2. So i'm hoping for the same from our O-Staff's. Maybe we can judge him at the end of next year, but till now its not been good.

Was also wondering.. When JoeMo left last year, CJF had two options for his OC: Rahne & Gattis. Just wondering if Gattis would have been a better OC? He was def'ly a much much better WR's coach than Corely, no one can argue that. The WR's always seemed to respond & perform amazingly under his watch. They would run great routes and would know the intricacies of playing the WR spot. Not trying to bad mouth Corely here as no coach is actually out there catching balls.

So i'm wondering, if CJF had promoted Gattis to OC, maybe Gattis could have been OC and WR's coach. No way Rahne would have left to another school like Gattis did. Maybe we could have had best of both worlds. Anyways, that is a fantasy but fun to speculate about.

Reactions: BBrown and doc69
I’m not sold on Rahne. We have regressed. With JoMo it was his offense and Franklin let him run it. Rahne is now trying to run JoMo’s offense and I don’t think that works. If Rahne is going to be successful he needs to run his offense, not JoMo’s. They may be similar but we should see some differences. I’m not and expert on this but it does seem to me from the armchair of my lazy boy that the wrinkles Rahne has put in for the most part have been fails. I’ll site the “Lion” position as one example. More recently the two back set as another.

On the other side of the coin I did see at least two things today I have been calling for. #1 On the touchdown pass to the TE Trace finally threw the ball off of the RPO. He put the defender in lose/lose and made him pay. That’s the first time I can recall him rolling out with the option to run or throw and actually stopping and throwing. Honestly one of the best plays I’ve seen is run all year.
#2 for the first time in forever our clock management at the end of the game made sense. We had the ball, we were winning, we ran the playclock all the way down to 2/3 seconds and we got first downs. We didn’t bring in Tommy and put Trace wide and run some play that made you say WTF. Little steps but improvement.

Like I said at the beginning of my post I’m not sold on Rahne. He will be back next year. Will he be back for year three? I doubt it. If he’s going to be successful he needs to find his own identity. My doubts on his success are directly related to his attempts this year to implement wrinkles, for the most part they have been epic fails.

Reactions: BBrown

Enjoy the victory!
All skill positions have regressed, 4th-and5 vs. OSU, and Franklin doesn’t have the balls to sit an injured QB who can’t run the offense when a perfectly capable backup(s) sit on the bench.

But hey, Rahne runs the “Lion” package with Stevens so he’s creative and we are negative nellies. You’re right. Our bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT