ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Hoffman family not happy with PSU

He put it out there, and maybe some of this is deserved. Still wouldn't judge him... as I really doubt anyone here knows all the facts.

As quickly as many here react negatively to stuff that simply isn't very important, and not nearly as close to home as this, I suspect we should ask how we would react. Not very well, maybe far worse, for some.

Roar, we don't have to know the details to know that lashing out like this on Twitter is petulant. Saying you're throwing out all of the PSU stuff and selling the tickets is a tantrum and it was from the adult and not even the kid. It begs the question, who wanted Gavin to wrestle for PSU more, Gavin or his dad? Because based on that tweet it's hard to tell.

I've certainly reacted really poorly to things in my adult life and when I have I've been ridiculed and criticized for doing so. The one thing I haven't ever done is taken to social media so the public could see my tantrum.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Seems to me adding a 220 weight class in college makes a lot of sense. Helps with freestyle weight class. College should have 11 weights with 10.9 scholarships. High school should redo weights and only have 13 . Too many forfeits in high school.

I would love to see a 220lb weight class in college. I loved when they added it in high school as well.

Oh man, thanks so much for that Twitter Wrestling List, tikk! I've only very rarely used them in the past, but I just subscribed to yours and added it as a column in my Janetter deck (a desktop Windows Twitter app) and it's way more efficient. Can't believe I'm only just now going to use Twitter Lists. Big improvement! Two-step hookup for others with Twitter accounts interested in improved Info Intake:
1. Click this link: https://twitter.com/tikk10/lists/wrestling
2. Click the Subscribe button

Just another example that it's never the technological or engineering advancement tools that are 'the problem.' It's human inability to understand & use them effectively. Hell, I remember being super pissed at Steve Jobs for building computers without a dang floppy disk, but society's done alright, lol.

Glad you like, it definitely makes it easier if you follow a ton other accounts.

This list is a subset of the wrestling list, just PSU wrestling. Useful in catching stuff you may miss in the main wrestling list.
https://twitter.com/tikk10/lists/psu-wrestling

Roar, we don't have to know the details to know that lashing out like this on Twitter is petulant. Saying you're throwing out all of the PSU stuff and selling the tickets is a tantrum and it was from the adult and not even the kid. It begs the question, who wanted Gavin to wrestle for PSU more, Gavin or his dad? Because based on that tweet it's hard to tell.

I've certainly reacted really poorly to things in my adult life and when I have I've been ridiculed and criticized for doing so. The one thing I haven't ever done is taken to social media so the public could see my tantrum.
Overreaction.

Saying it on Twitter was dumb. But the actions themselves? Who here has kept reminders of their exes around the house?

I certainly haven't and not out of anger or petulence or throwing a tantrum. Rather, because that part of my life is over.

If we're completely honest with ourselves, in the same situation we would've likely done the same thing, but maybe not tweeted it.

After seeing the tweet I first thought it was nothing that serious, just normal overreaction to disappointment of the Beard verbal, but after looking at the father's twitter I now have no respect for him. If you look he replied to a tweet someone posted about the Beard PSU verbal announcement on Flo by saying Beard is not wrestling to protect his ranking, that he lets Beard know what tournaments they are going to and he won't show up, insinuating that Beard is duck in Gavin. After seeing that I do not think I would want the dad around the program. I feel bad for high school kids who have parents that shoot their mouth off.

Seems to me adding a 220 weight class in college makes a lot of sense. Helps with freestyle weight class. College should have 11 weights with 10.9 scholarships. High school should redo weights and only have 13 . Too many forfeits in high school.
I hear you, but every time this comes up it ignores the practical realities:
1. Lineups and rosters are not expanding due to Title IX. Maybe this will change once colleges embrace women's wrestling.
2. Adding another weight/ride is a problem for schools funded below the current 9.9 cap -- which is quite a few.
3. It would severely weaken HWT. 220 + 285 are already the 2 weakest HS weights, and many of their best athletes play college football. Just imagine HWT without Snyder, Sasquatch, Kasper, Solomon, etc.

I do like a 220/225 alignment with freestyle 97 kg/213 lb ... if that's still the international weight going fwd.

Reactions: PA Power
After seeing the tweet I first thought it was nothing that serious, just normal overreaction to disappointment of the Beard verbal, but after looking at the father's twitter I now have no respect for him. If you look he replied to a tweet someone posted about the Beard PSU verbal announcement on Flo by saying Beard is not wrestling to protect his ranking, that he lets Beard know what tournaments they are going to and he won't show up, insinuating that Beard is duck in Gavin. After seeing that I do not think I would want the dad around the program. I feel bad for high school kids who have parents that shoot their mouth off.
For clarity: that "someone" he replied to is Mitch Rupert, the wrestling writer for the Williamsport Sun Gazette. (Who does a tremendous job covering the sport and is worth following.)

Those replies were idiotic and betray a lack of media sophistication. I won't condone them.

I will understand the underlying frustration. Gavin is an upper-tier recruit who has expressed Olympic goals. The family senses a competition to get into the best college and Olympic program. Gavin has wrestled a ton of offseason events ... Disney, Super 32, NHSCA Nationals, Flonats, etc. For whatever reason Beard has had a much more limited offseason, so the competition that could be direct is indirect and beyond their ability to change.

I won't condone the ducking charges. I will point out that a lot of us freely leveled those same charges at Bo Jordan and others.

Does this mean the program is better off without Mr. Hoffman? Maybe we should ask what other parents we don't want around the team. The ones we have/had aren't exactly a bunch of shrinking violets. Cael has proven he can handle it.

Reactions: rmg78 and HAWKMANN
Their is no media ranking to protect. The only ranking that matters is how Cael ranks Hoffman and Beard. Since Mr Hoffman is not happy and is getting rid of his PSU tickets, I would assume that Beard is ranked higher by Cael. I seriously doubt that if Hoffman beat Beard at this time that Cael's rankings would change. Cael's rankings most likely involve who he thinks will be the better college wrestler. As someone posted, Hoffman may not be a college 197 pounder, if that is the case with Seth Nevills committing, there is no room at the inn.

Reactions: dropster45
Their is no media ranking to protect. The only ranking that matters is how Cael ranks Hoffman and Beard. Since Mr Hoffman is not happy and is getting rid of his PSU tickets, I would assume that Beard is ranked higher by Cael. I seriously doubt that if Hoffman beat Beard at this time that Cael's rankings would change. Cael's rankings most likely involve who he thinks will be the better college wrestler. As someone posted, Hoffman may not be a college 197 pounder, if that is the case with Seth Nevills committing, there is no room at the inn.
A couple of Julys ago Cael was in Iowa celebrating the fourth at a cookout with Freddy Strocker and Freddy's family. Later that summer Vincenzo kicked the snot out of Freddy at Fargo. Priorities changed quickly.

...there's no room left at the Nittany Lion Inn, but other motels still have some:)
bates-motel-header-7-reasons-why-bates-motel-is-the-perfect-prequel-to-psycho-jpeg-168795.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT