ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Hoffman family not happy with PSU

Yeah, never been a fan of sweeping unpleasant stuff under and the rug and ignoring it or pretending it never happened. Plus, I don't necessarily think that ignoring the situation is the "high road". We can (and should) show some empathy, but doesn't mean we can't discuss it. As you say, the father put it out there via Twitter, and this is an internet message board.

This is, however, yet another example of how the world was better off without Twitter.

Great points, my initial reaction was just ugggh..not another discussion of a THomas Haines scenario

Never mind just looked it up. So these two never met in the state tournament?
Beard attends Malvern Prep, which participates in national preps, not PA states.

Would be unlikely even if Beard attended public school -- IDK exactly which school district his family resides in, but that area is primarily (entirely?) AAA, and Montoursville is AA.

Last edited:
What is doing 'wright' by your son? I'm just curious because I have a daughter and I want to give the same opportunities as the next parent to my child.

Reactions: Reslo
...I can understand the Hoffman's disappointment if the Beard announcement means that there is no opportunity for their son to be offered a scholarship to wrestle at Penn State...
... that being said I never heard that Penn State was in the $$$ stage of negotiation with him or that he was a definite commitment ...
... he will undoubtedly find an offer elsewhere but if Penn State was his dream school it just will not be the same...
...oh, well...

jim hoffman‏@titan3763 11h11 hours ago
Some Penn state fans miss understand it's not anger it's just a family understanding it's time to move on and doing what's wright for a son

0 replies0 retweets0 likes
I guess it is not fake news----Good Luck Gavin..

Yeah, definitely no anger here. He's literally stripping his entire house of all things PSU and selling his 11 PSU wrestling season tickets that his family has had for 14 years. People who aren't lashing out in anger do this on a regular basis.

I don't know anything about his son Gavin, him, or their family but what he's doing on Twitter is childish and impulsive. It's not the kind of reaction you expect from an adult.

Yeah, definitely no anger here. He's literally stripping his entire house of all things PSU and selling his 11 PSU wrestling season tickets that his family has had for 14 years. People who aren't lashing out in anger do this on a regular basis.

I don't know anything about his son Gavin, him, or their family but what he's doing on Twitter is childish and impulsive. It's not the kind of reaction you expect from an adult.
That's a fair take but I think a lot of parents just don't get social media and don't have the right people around them advising them that they could be creating what counts for news these days. Twitter isn't a place to air your personal laundry--and I think it's fine to be angry and do what he did, justified or not--because your personal laundry isn't news until you make it so. His only mistake was telling the world.

I've seen much more crazy reactions over far less from wrestling parents. Very disappointing I'm sure. I believe Gavin would like to wrestle Beard and hasn't been able to make that happen. That is what I was told by someone who I believe would know the story. Who's Number One would be the place to get it done Willie

Beard's hometown is Pottstown. Too bad for Hoffman. Hope things work out for him. How's Lehigh looking at '97 or Hvy?

...Lehigh has a very good 197# RS freshman - Jake Jakobsen - who finished 2nd as a Jr and then won the PIAA AAA title for Stroudsburg in 1996 at 195#...
...he is a very talented young man who scores a lot of team points with falls and TFs...

Hoffman is a better prospect than Jakobsen was, though obviously Jakobsen has a couple years' head start. At the same point in their careers, Hoffman is better on feet. They're both good on the mat; Jakobsen is a very strong leg rider. Hoffman is a better athlete.

Jordan Wood is coming off his shirt year for Lehigh and is a good-sized heavy. Realistically Hoffman would sit behind Wood for 2 years after shirting (barring injury).

...at 285# Lehigh has another very good young wrestler in RSFR Jordan Wood, who won the PIAA title as a Jr and could not defend due to injury as a Sr ...
... in his RS year he lost in the finals of the Midlands...overall 11-3 record in RS year...149-5 career high school record...!

Last edited:
That's a fair take but I think a lot of parents just don't get social media and don't have the right people around them advising them that they could be creating what counts for news these days. Twitter isn't a place to air your personal laundry--and I think it's fine to be angry and do what he did, justified or not--because your personal laundry isn't news until you make it so. His only mistake was telling the world.

^This^

The situation is unfortunate. Cael and staff could have been (and I expect they were) completely up front and honest during this whole process, and the outcome is still going to hurt some feelings, and potentially result in a regrettable social media response. That's just the world we live in now. Best of luck to Hoffman, he will have success wherever he goes.

I agree. It's OK to be angry over something. But when you start to air your laundry publicly you open yourself up to criticism. I understand that he's not a PR guy, but at that point he should have just stopped tweeting. Saying he wasn't angry was a little ridiculous. It was obvious he was angry. You don't purge your entire house of everything PSU and sell your decade and a half season tickets if you aren't angry.

^This^

The situation is unfortunate. Cael and staff could have been (and I expect they were) completely up front and honest during this whole process, and the outcome is still going to hurt some feelings, and potentially result in a regrettable social media response. That's just the world we live in now. Best of luck to Hoffman, he will have success wherever he goes.
Nothing unfortunate at all. Times Square was unfortunate.
This is a walk in the park.

Not sure why Twitter always gets a bad rap, it's made my wrestling coverage significantly better. You don't like what someone has to say, stop following them.
As somebody already pointed out, if it doesn't get posted here it's barely noticed at all, not that I would blame message boards, just sayin.

Not sure why Twitter always gets a bad rap, it's made my wrestling coverage significantly better. You don't like what someone has to say, stop following them.
As somebody already pointed out, if it doesn't get posted here it's barely noticed at all, not that I would blame message boards, just sayin.

True, for example PD3 would be much less entertaining without twitter.

Yeah, never been a fan of sweeping unpleasant stuff under and the rug and ignoring it or pretending it never happened. Plus, I don't necessarily think that ignoring the situation is the "high road". We can (and should) show some empathy, but doesn't mean we can't discuss it. As you say, the father put it out there via Twitter, and this is an internet message board.

This is, however, yet another example of how the world was better off without Twitter.
Facebook is worse. IMO.

I don't know Mr Hoffman, but I'd say this is a typical reaction from an adult or ANYONE in the social media age.

I guess now we know that dirty laundry can be used to burn a bridge.
Do we?

Heaven forbid something happens to Beard, does Cael not call Hoffman back because of the father's one tweet that Cael probably didn't even see?

Twitter is actually a great way to follow wrestling. I don't participate much but I have put together a list of 284 wrestling accounts that I follow [feed here, list here] and anyone else can follow/subscribe to that same list. Or just go through the list and follow who you want. Useful as a wrestling-on-Twitter starter kit.

Nothing unfortunate at all. Times Square was unfortunate.
This is a walk in the park.

Lat - absolutely! I'm just speaking of this in a vacuum. It's all relative. I think it's a tragedy that my wife can't make a good meatloaf, but that's certainly not as bad as my son not getting to go to the college of his dreams after being pretty sure he would be. Point being, in a moment of anger (and lacking perspective) people may say or do stupid things, some of which become permanently tacked to the internet. That's why I don't tweet about my wife's meatloaf.

Lat - absolutely! I'm just speaking of this in a vacuum. It's all relative. I think it's a tragedy that my wife can't make a good meatloaf, but that's certainly not as bad as my son not getting to go to the college of his dreams after being pretty sure he would be. Point being, in a moment of anger (and lacking perspective) people may say or do stupid things, some of which become permanently tacked to the internet. That's why I don't tweet about my wife's meatloaf.

You won't tweet about it, but you'll let BWI know about it. Thanks for the warning.

It's an unfortunate situation, but the reality is, there's only so many slots, and so much time. If someone jumps that's higher rated, it's just reality. Every top level coach deals with it.

I don't know Mr Hoffman, but I'd say this is a typical reaction from an adult or ANYONE in the social media age.
No, it is not typical at all. Highly coveted athletes are spurned by their favorite team every year, but you typically don't see posts like this from their parents.

He put it out there, and maybe some of this is deserved. Still wouldn't judge him... as I really doubt anyone here knows all the facts.

As quickly as many here react negatively to stuff that simply isn't very important, and not nearly as close to home as this, I suspect we should ask how we would react. Not very well, maybe far worse, for some.

Reactions: Maddog and garw
Do we?

Heaven forbid something happens to Beard, does Cael not call Hoffman back because of the father's one tweet that Cael probably didn't even see?
Good point. Maybe the dirty laundry did not burn down the bridge. Maybe it just stank up the bridge. Because it was dirty. And smelly.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Seems to me adding a 220 weight class in college makes a lot of sense. Helps with freestyle weight class. College should have 11 weights with 10.9 scholarships. High school should redo weights and only have 13 . Too many forfeits in high school.

Reactions: dropster45
Twitter is actually a great way to follow wrestling. I don't participate much but I have put together a list of 284 wrestling accounts that I follow [feed here, list here] and anyone else can follow/subscribe to that same list. Or just go through the list and follow who you want. Useful as a wrestling-on-Twitter starter kit.

Oh man, thanks so much for that Twitter Wrestling List, tikk! I've only very rarely used them in the past, but I just subscribed to yours and added it as a column in my Janetter deck (a desktop Windows Twitter app) and it's way more efficient. Can't believe I'm only just now going to use Twitter Lists. Big improvement! Two-step hookup for others with Twitter accounts interested in improved Info Intake:
1. Click this link: https://twitter.com/tikk10/lists/wrestling
2. Click the Subscribe button

Just another example that it's never the technological or engineering advancement tools that are 'the problem.' It's human inability to understand & use them effectively. Hell, I remember being super pissed at Steve Jobs for building computers without a dang floppy disk, but society's done alright, lol.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT