ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Hoffman family not happy with PSU

I'll take 4 tickets...

;)
Lol....PSU wrestling season tickets are hard to get...They will have NO problem saleing those tickets. Many will be super happy that have been waiting for a couple years...Call the ticket office and tell them you want the Hoffman tickets....Not expensive either especially if you belong to the Nitt Lion wrestling club....

Anyone have insight on this? Sounds more than just disappointment.

social-media-risk.jpg

Sorry to see a family alienated, but I'll never know enough to judge either side. Too bad.

Yeah, hate to see it, but we'll probably never know what really happened. All we know is that [1] PSU was recruiting Hoffman, and [2] the Hoffman family is apparently now upset, very shortly after Beard verbal to PSU.

Unfortunate.

A friend of mine talked to Hoffman's father at EIWA and was told Gavin was not going to be able to wrestle 197. I have kept this to myself as it was not public knowledge. My friend is unimpeachable so either Gavin is 275 or his father mislead him. I personally hate PD2 type tweets. Good luck to Gavin wherever he ends up.

Lol....PSU wrestling season tickets are hard to get...They will have NO problem saleing those tickets. Many will be super happy that have been waiting for a couple years...Call the ticket office and tell them you want the Hoffman tickets....Not expensive either especially if you belong to the Nitt Lion wrestling club....
It wasn't about the tickets. It's about their disappointment. The tickets were simply a statement of anger

Reactions: Dogwelder
It wasn't about the tickets. It's about their disappointment. The tickets were simply a statement of anger
I get the disappointment but like Cael says some will be upset they can't get in...Sad for the family but that's just the way it is when you have 2 great wrestlers for 1 spot....Unlimited ships would be different. Hoffman is a great wrestler and will end up in a fine program.

A friend of mine talked to Hoffman's father at EIWA and was told Gavin was not going to be able to wrestle 197. I have kept this to myself as it was not public knowledge. My friend is unimpeachable so either Gavin is 275 or his father mislead him. I personally hate PD2 type tweets. Good luck to Gavin wherever he ends up.

If he was going to outgrow 197, then wouldn't Big Snacks committing be the trigger point in the family being upset?

If he was going to outgrow 197, then wouldn't Big Snacks committing be the trigger point in the family being upset?

One might think so, but who knows? Just don't have enough info about the particulars. It's pretty much all speculation at this point, and probably will remain so.

Not sure, but until you brought it here, all five of his followers would've been the only ones to know.

So you're saying he can't be unhappy because he only has 5 followers?? Imagine that, before twitter no one was unhappy. You funny. lol

Walk on, then battle at 197 or 285. If PSU is where you want to be go for it. You aren't promised aid, many aren't. He wasn't #1 on the board. Prove you should have been.
Extremely easy thing for a fan to say.

Also presumptuous. We don't know the interaction, but college athletics is rife with stories of families being told by coaches to look elsewhere.

Extremely easy thing for a fan to say.
Also presumptuous. We don't know the interaction, but college athletics is rife with stories of families being told by coaches to look elsewhere.

Particularly when two kids are recruited for a single slot, and the preferred kid accepts.

If he wanted to go so bad, he would have verballed long ago

That statement may or may not be accurate. I suspect it is not, but just a guess.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I'm sure PSU was after Hoffman hot and heavy until a month or two ago when Beard decommitted. If I had to guess this is what led to the butthurt.

But what are you going to do? I've seen both of them wrestle a bunch of times and no disrespect to Hoffman, as I've stated before Beard is special. I'm sure Hoffman has a great work ethic and he's jumped levels but he and Beard are two different animals. Probably because he is National Prep, but Beard does not get the recognition across the state that he should. Although it probably is in the plan for him to RS, it would not surprise me one bit if he manned 197 for PSU as a true freshman.

I'm sure PSU was after Hoffman hot and heavy until a month or two ago when Beard decommitted. If I had to guess this is what led to the butthurt.

But what are you going to do? I've seen both of them wrestle a bunch of times and no disrespect to Hoffman, as I've stated before Beard is special. I'm sure Hoffman has a great work ethic and he's jumped levels but he and Beard are two different animals. Probably because he is National Prep, but Beard does not get the recognition across the state that he should. Although it probably is in the plan for him to RS, it would not surprise me one bit if he manned 197 for PSU as a true freshman.
This makes a lot of sense

Reactions: diggerpup
The is an unfortunate downside to all the recruiting success. Highly regarded PA guys that use to have no problem getting an offer from Penn State are now being told no thanks. I'm sure it's difficult for the family, they seem like big fans of the program and probably had their heart set on watching Gavin wrestle for the Lions.

This is one of those situations where I don't know the family and don't know the situation, and as with all of this type, can just say I have absolutely no opinion.
I do wish the family well tho and will give them a pass on exhibiting anger. That is not to condone it, rather understand that raw emotions can sometimes be difficult to restrain.

Unfortunately, the father invited a response with that tweet into the internet universe. I suppose we can all take the high road and ignore it, but that's not what we do on message boards. This is not the first time something like this happened and it won't be the last.

Yeah, never been a fan of sweeping unpleasant stuff under and the rug and ignoring it or pretending it never happened. Plus, I don't necessarily think that ignoring the situation is the "high road". We can (and should) show some empathy, but doesn't mean we can't discuss it. As you say, the father put it out there via Twitter, and this is an internet message board.

This is, however, yet another example of how the world was better off without Twitter.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Hoffman and Beard ever wrestle aside from the injury default at Disney? I don't know the score of that match before the default. Common opponents? Id like to think we'd lean toward the Pa kid

Hoffman and Beard ever wrestle aside from the injury default at Disney? I don't know the score of that match before the default. Common opponents? Id like to think we'd lean toward the Pa kid

They are both PA kids

I really really like Hoffmans potential and was excited to see what Cael could do with him. But happy we got Beard

Your lack of know lack of knowledge about PSU wrestling is nothing short of astounding. The cost of wrestling tickets has NOTHING to do with being a NLC member. Plus, you can't just call the ticket office and get someone else's season ticket. You really are completely CLUELESS.

ADVERTISEMENT