ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State versus Maryland

Just looked at Marylands roster and saw Greg Manning Jr. as an assistant coach. His dad played for Lefty Drisell and was my camp counselor at the old Cape Henlopen Basketball Camp run by Tom McMillian.

Chucky Drisell was in our dorm too. Didn't know the old man was UMDs radio color guy. Was a great shooter on some good Maryland teams

Reactions: bison13 and bdgan
Puff is playing like a timid weak freshman. Unless he picks up the intensity he doesn't look to fit into the way Rhoades plays defense.

Nice to see Lily playing hard and contributing.

Love Ace. He is all in all the time.

Last edited:
Put a body on somebody!

Watching this makes me miss Dread. He had no inside game and didn't make as many shots as we hoped but he sacrificed his body and worked hard on defense against much bigger players.

Last edited:
Was surprised at the graphic that showed only 16-15 UMD series lead. We have played them close last few years.

Growing up we were able to get Channel 2 out of Baltimore on our antenna - grew up on top of a hill in SEPA about 60 miles North of Charm City.

UMD hoops was really fun to watch. Albert King, Reggie Jackson, and then guys my age like Lenny Bias. PSU wasn't anywhere in any mix.

For us to be at their level was a pipe dream.

Reactions: bison13
Clary shot too soon. Really needed something going to the basket. 2 FTs would have won the game.

Dumb foul by MD gives us life but OT will be difficult with no bigs and MD shooting double bonus.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Those were some clutch FTs from Ace.

Need to find a way to get stops on D without our bigs…at least it makes tougher matchups for them at the other end too without a post.

Somebody please block out!

And stop forcing perimeter shots early in the clock. That's a lack of discipline, probably due to fatigue. We're in the double double after all.

Last edited:
MD missed 7 more shots than PSU which means PSU had 7 more rebounding opportunities. Unfortunately we were still out rebounded by 22!

PSU just isn't strong enough and they don't even seem to try putting a body on people once a shot goes up.

The good news is they shot 90% FTs and O'Boyle made two 3s.

So is this a moral victory?
I'd say yes. Played a lot ofvguys. Played tough. Showed grit in tough gym. Some guys like O'Boyle, Ace and Kanye made clutch shots in key moments.

Plays of the game were the in and out Clary 3 towards end of regulation and Hicks matador d on last Terp bucket. Gotta foul that kid hard there as he is a poor ft shooter. Can't give up 3 points to go down 4. He did.

We didn't deserve to win....MD did. Woulda been nice. Credit our guys for getting out of the funk.

This is the type of team and games we hoped/ excpected to see. We are going to lose a lot of games this year- but if they are like this we may pull out more than predicted too.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Offensive rebounding and putting Maryland at the FT line too much was the difference. I don’t think rebounding was effort (we played our asses off for 45 minutes) as much as style and personnel (when our bigs got into foul trouble, we were way too small).

We play with that effort all season and we’ll be ok. While I didn’t like a lot of our late offensive trips (Bardo nailed it), we showed a ton of poise tonight (especially at the FT line).

I'd say yes. Played a lot ofvguys. Played tough. Showed grit in tough gym. Some guys like O'Boyle, Ace and Kanye made clutch shots in key moments.

Plays of the game were the in and out Clary 3 towards end of regulation and Hicks matador d on last Terp bucket. Gotta foul that kid hard there as he is a poor ft shooter. Can't give up 3 points to go down 4. He did.

We didn't deserve to win....MD did. Woulda been nice. Credit our guys for getting out of the funk.

This is the type of team and games we hoped/ excpected to see. We are going to lose a lot of games this year- but if they are like this we may pull out more than predicted too.
Ace only made 3 FGs tonight. He did shoot great from the FT line.

PSU plays a lot of matador defense. They try to poke the ball away with their hands but they don't get in front of people with their feet.

I think the play of the game was Clary's missed off balance jumper with 6 seconds remaining. Clary or Baldwin needed to get to the basket because 2 FTs would have won it. Chances in OT weren't good with Wahab and Lilley both out and Ace playing with 4 fouls.

I don't think O'Boyle can handle the speed of the game at this level.
Disagree with that. He isn't as physical as the post players he is playing against, but he is not a post player. He took a few shots that I think some officials would have called a F1, but they couldn't foul Reese out of the game. MD would have lost. His shot is starting to come around, he has a high BB IQ. We just need Aire back so Leo can play the 3-4 position.

Disagree with that. He isn't as physical as the post players he is playing against, but he is not a post player. He took a few shots that I think some officials would have called a F1, but they couldn't foul Reese out of the game. MD would have lost. His shot is starting to come around, he has a high BB IQ. We just need Aire back so Leo can play the 3-4 position.
They did call a lot of ticky tack fouls on PSU and let Maryland get away with some elbows and push offs and the one O’Boyle took was the worst foul of the night and nothing is called.

Reactions: bison13 and mmuncci
I didn't know anything about Wahab before this year but I was excited about his rebounding against weaker teams. He also seems to be able to catch the ball and score down low.

Since then I've become disappointed with his defense. He's a big imposing guy but players like Reese seem to be able to back him down with ease.

I don't know much about Aire.

Not going to beat too many teams sending them to the line for 39 attempts.
No, and add 23 offensive rebounds and you lose. The free throws are always by double digit advantage when we play Mary land there. I think Reese should have fouled out of the game, but a number of times he whacked us with his elbows and they let it go. He used his elbow twice on O'Boyle, half of his attacks against Wahab could have been called. They won't get those calls at State College.

They did call a lot of ticky tack fouls on PSU and let Maryland get away with some elbows and push offs and the one O’Boyle took was the worst foul of the night and nothing is called.
Because time out was called before that occurred.

Be a top 80-90ish team, win 6-7 games in the Big Ten, win the rest of our non-conf games…basically right around what I would have expected this year.
We have to win enough and show enough improvement to avoid players entering the portal. We don't lose much at the end of this year, and we have a decent group coming in. Keeping them together is the key.

Because time out was called before that occurred.
That had me thinking....if he had slugged him he still woulda gotten a T eventhough timeout was called.

That elbow was tough...and I get that in theory the play was dead...but it isn't like it didn't happen. If that is at Leo's head instead of hip coukd they call a flagrant on a dead ball "non play?"

I would guess yes. Anyone know for sure?

Reese did get some breaks at home. Good player. Agreed on won't get them at PSU.

That had me thinking....if he had slugged him he still woulda gotten a T eventhough timeout was called.

That elbow was tough...and I get that in theory the play was dead...but it isn't like it didn't happen. If that is at Leo's head instead of hip coukd they call a flagrant on a dead ball "non play?"

Reese did get some breaks at home. Good player. Agreed on won't get them at PSU.
Yes, the only thing you can do there is call nothing, or call a flagrant. It was close, but I thought the play on was the right call (the one earlier as he was shooting was much worse I thought, and could have definitely been a F1).

Yes, the only thing you can do there is call nothing, or call a flagrant. It was close, but I thought the play on was the right call (the one earlier as he was shooting was much worse I thought, and could have definitely been a F1).
You can absolutely call a technical for something after a time out is called. As long as the players are on the floor, they can call a technical for anything unsportsmanlike.

You can absolutely call a technical for something after a time out is called. As long as the players are on the floor, they can call a technical for anything unsportsmanlike.
As I stated, the only foul you can call there is a Flagrant…you can’t call a common foul.

A technical wouldn’t apply in that situation.

Last edited:

Not sure anymore. When I coached and refereed high school, you commit that kind of foul even if there was time out it would have been a technical. No longer have technicals, but that was really bad. He gave Leo his elbows a number of times and we didn't get the call. Just a little history - 2015 we lose there by 6, get outshot 38-16 from the line.
In 2018 we lose by 6 and get outshot 34-4 at the line.
2019 we lost by 7 post and got outshot 25-6 from the free throw line. In each of those years we beat them at home. It isn't that I cry about officiating, but this is a pattern at md.

As I stated, the only foul you can call there is a Flagrant…you can’t call a common foul.

A technical wouldn’t apply in that situation.
I am not too sure, but I don't think there are technicals called on plays anymore. That should have been a F1 inspite of the fact that there was timeout. Having a TO called shouldn't give anyone the okay to throw an elbow like that one. He wasn't making any kind of basketball play, just threw an elbow to clear some space. Reese should have fouled out of the game he committed so many fouls, but ended up with 2???

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I am not too sure, but I don't think there are technicals called on plays anymore. That should have been a F1 inspite of the fact that there was timeout. Having a TO called shouldn't give anyone the okay to throw an elbow like that one. He wasn't making any kind of basketball play, just threw an elbow to clear some space. Reese should have fouled out of the game he committed so many fouls, but ended up with 2???
So if they can’t call technicals anymore, what do they do if a player tells a ref he sucks balls?

Wahab needs to have a counter move, he can’t continuously just spin and shoot over his left shoulder. Juju really wanted to take it to him tonight as there’s been some stuff back-and-forth about those two here in Maryland.

The thing I am the most disappointed in so far is the play of the two Carolina guys. I definitely expected more out of Dunn and Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT