ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson

How many of us watched Steveson's match with White at the Cowboys-Gophers dual meet?

It was a good win by Gable, but after taking an early lead, he was not active at all. (In fairness, White wasn't great either) Granted, it was extremely funny when he did the Muhammad Ali foot shuffle in the middle of the second period (and then White danced around too), which got the crowd laughing, but it also seemed like something you wouldn't have to do if you were, you know, wrestling hard.

He's a true freshman with a heck of a lot of room to improve.

I am always disappointed that we at home dont get to see the awards.
I assume all the fans, not just our fans, gave Nolf and Bo appropriately warm applause for ther careers.

In the final on Saturday, Steveson looked like he'd convinced himself that he would muscle Cassar like he did just about every other heavyweight, and it just didn't happen. Look at how he locked up with Cassar during the first half of the match--he really tried to bully the PSU wrestler--and he failed. I think he was beaten because he was arrogant and hadn't learned what it took to beat an equally athletic opponent. Will he learn from his two losses and up his game? We'll see.

I agree with the bully statement. Stevenson could bully a majority of the heavyweights he faced this year and when he could he would show them up. That wasn't happening with Cassar and it most likely impacted his confidence. If I remember correctly I even think Cassar gave him a little push near the out of bounds in the 2nd period.

Reactions: therod
If Cassar comes back, and since some post graduate wrestling goals include US world and Olympic teams I do expect him back, his stated goal is calories and picking really heavy objects up and putting them down.

A 250 pound Cassar with the same agility and MORE muscle is not somebody who will be easier to beat due to increased maturity or whatever.

Why are people thinking Cassar will go MMA when he said this weekend his goal is the Olympics? Perhaps we can disabuse ourselves of ideas the wrestlers themselves already refuted.

Also, Steveson is eligible for an Olympic shirt and might be inclined to take it. (Unless he has said otherwise and I missed it. He didn't get a post finals TV interview or presser.)

Reactions: Hotshoe and bigs22
Why are people thinking Cassar will go MMA when he said this weekend his goal is the Olympics? Perhaps we can disabuse ourselves of ideas the wrestlers themselves already refuted.

Also, Steveson is eligible for an Olympic shirt and might be inclined to take it. (Unless he has said otherwise and I missed it. He didn't get a post finals TV interview or presser.)
Over the years and continuing into the future Penn State has missed two very profitable degree programs.
1. Parking enforcement
2. Athletic pessimism

Probably has to do with youngGuns’ track record here, but yeah.

Over the years and continuing into the future Penn State has missed two very profitable degree programs.
1. Parking enforcement
2. Athletic pessimism
Add to the @dunkej01 Slush Fund fundraisers: the Penn State Pessimism Kangaroo Court.

Fear based upon easily disproven facts? Drop a five in the bucket.

Say you trust Cael but you don't really? Drop a twenty.

Sweat bullets when it's time to renew Cael's contract? Ben Franklin.

Cael should've recruited someone else? Mexican bail -- whatever you have, you pay.

We may have just funded the Greco squad and kicked off women's.

Almost forgot:

Concern troll about the next year on Saturday night of nationals?

NDBB96K.png

Steveson's lifestyle caught up with him. He doesn't practice hard, he parties his brains out and it's clear that with his elite athleticism and god-given ability he can still place 3rd at NCAAs as an of-age true freshman.

There's a reason there's only one Cael Sanderson, one Kyle Snyder. Lifestyle is everything at this level.

Add to the @dunkej01 Slush Fund fundraisers: the Penn State Pessimism Kangaroo Court.

Fear based upon easily disproven facts? Drop a five in the bucket.

Say you trust Cael but you don't really? Drop a twenty.

Sweat bullets when it's time to renew Cael's contract? Ben Franklin.

Cael should've recruited someone else? Mexican bail -- whatever you have, you pay.

We may have just funded the Greco squad and kicked off women's.
How was anniversary. A week later, did that allow for attendance?

Will be interesting to see what GS looks like next year. I would think a full off-season with college trainers will lean him out some and up his conditioning to make him a real force.

As far as Cassar goes, any FS aspirations for Olympic/World teams would be a reason to return. Take a year to become a real 125 kg in the 245 lb range would probably be his best path.

I hate seeing anyone go MMA. It is really a terrible sport and not many end up making the money to offset the abuse.

I hate that he is going to MMA. He is a bright, good looking, personable guy, I hate to see him get his brains beat out for minimum cash. He should look into acting or better yet the WWE. I think he should form a triple team with Nick Suriano and Anthony Ashunault and call themselves the Jersey Shore or The Guidos!!!!

Yeah--I think GS believed his own hype a bit too much to be honest. He has just so much up side, but did not really appear hungry enough. I've heard rumors he rules the roost in that room a little too much for a TFr. Humility is pretty much a prerequisite for this sport.

IF Gable applies himself to improvement to the degree AC has, we will have a real rivalry on our hands next year (assuming an AC return). If not, I expect AC to continue his upward trajectory, and GS will be in trouble.

Forget about the attitude stuff, because there is no way to confirm that, but how can that room be seen as even close to as competitive as the PSU room? You can roll around with Cael, Nickal, Nick Nevills and next year with Seth Nevills and possibly Connel. What does Minny have in their room to challenge Steveson which even remotely approaches that level of competition?

If Cassar comes back, and since some post graduate wrestling goals include US world and Olympic teams I do expect him back, his stated goal is calories and picking really heavy objects up and putting them down.

A 250 pound Cassar with the same agility and MORE muscle is not somebody who will be easier to beat due to increased maturity or whatever.

So, Cassar is going to "add more muscle" while Steveson.... is only adding "maturity and whatever". LMFAO you PUTZ!

Forget about the attitude stuff, because there is no way to confirm that, but how can that room be seen as even close to as competitive as the PSU room? You can roll around with Cael, Nickal, Nick Nevills and next year with Seth Nevills and possibly Connel. What does Minny have in their room to challenge Steveson which even remotely approaches that level of competition?
Once again: also Olympic Gold Medalist Jake Varner too. Tony Nelson and Brock Lesnar for GS, not quite the same.

Is there an echo in here?

Any chance Cassar takes an Olympic redshirt as well?

In the final on Saturday, Steveson looked like he'd convinced himself that he would muscle Cassar like he did just about every other heavyweight, and it just didn't happen. Look at how he locked up with Cassar during the first half of the match--he really tried to bully the PSU wrestler--and he failed. I think he was beaten because he was arrogant and hadn't learned what it took to beat an equally athletic opponent. Will he learn from his two losses and up his game? We'll see.
I was impressed how he handled the losses. He was a cocky bad winner at times and now maybe being taught a bit of humility is good for him and his career going forward. Was not a fan of his early actions but he is starting to grow on me.

I was impressed how he handled the losses. He was a cocky bad winner at times and now maybe being taught a bit of humility is good for him and his career going forward. Was not a fan of his early actions but he is starting to grow on me.

Its gonna take a few more beatings for him to grow on me, but maybe one day...

I was surprised as a freshmen just how at times seemed easy GS moved wrestlers around the mat. He seems to have the power of a trash compactor. Almost buckles wrestlers with his strength especially in his back/hips/legs. AC was smart to not totally stay locked up with him and wrestled very smart. The upside for both wrestlers will be great to watch. Depending if AC stays wrestling or moves over into MMA. GS seems to have almost no ceiling. His experience this year will be a big growth factor for him.

Reactions: Unlimited424
Cassar is requesting a SIXTH year. Olympic redshirt is not a possibility. Also, in his post match interview he was asked if he was returning and he said Olympics were a goal and that he would have to talk it over with his family.

I’m sure I’m still in the minority but I’ve been saying for awhile that I don’t think Gable wins a single NCAA title. I think this year was actually his best chance and he came up a bit short. He’s a great talent but the talent coming into heavy is insane. I think Kerkvliet is going to be the best of them all but you also have Schultz, Cassioppi, Snacks, Parris with more experience, and maybe Hutmacher. Gable could win the next 3 and I wouldn’t be shocked but I just don’t see it happening. All the heavyweights I just listed are all athletic and not just huge lumbering giants. To me, Kerkvliet has the best frame. He’s taller than Gable and I think he grows into a bit bigger but just as athletic version of him. Hell, Gable beat him 3-2 when Gable was a senior and Kerkvliet a junior and Kerkvliet was so much more raw at that point. Him being in a room with Snyder is going to be huge as well.

I’m sure I’m still in the minority but I’ve been saying for awhile that I don’t think Gable wins a single NCAA title. I think this year was actually his best chance and he came up a bit short. He’s a great talent but the talent coming into heavy is insane. I think Kerkvliet is going to be the best of them all but you also have Schultz, Cassioppi, Snacks, Parris with more experience, and maybe Hutmacher. Gable could win the next 3 and I wouldn’t be shocked but I just don’t see it happening. All the heavyweights I just listed are all athletic and not just huge lumbering giants. To me, Kerkvliet has the best frame. He’s taller than Gable and I think he grows into a bit bigger but just as athletic version of him. Hell, Gable beat him 3-2 when Gable was a senior and Kerkvliet a junior and Kerkvliet was so much more raw at that point. Him being in a room with Snyder is going to be huge as well.
Heavy has some great talent coming in, which is good for college wrestling. Don't bet the farm on Steveson leaving without an individual championship though.

So, Cassar is going to "add more muscle" while Steveson.... is only adding "maturity and whatever". LMFAO you PUTZ!
Hey, we can’t just casually call names to a fellow BWI longtimer! $20 fine! ;)

Edit: good point, though, that Gable might also hit weights hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus

Didn't Kerkvliet just blow out his knee in an international tournament? I thought I saw that. Maybe the injury turned out to be less than first thought.

Gable’s lifestyle is just fine. He spends a lot of time on his craft as well.

Gable has Tony Nelson (#3 on heavyweight ladder), Hayden Zillmer (#2 on 92kg ladder), Michael Kroells (3x AA) and Trevor Brandvold (2x Big Ten Champ, 2x AA) that he frequently trains with. Decent environment for a Big Guy.

Reactions: Unlimited424

Gable has Tony Nelson (#3 on heavyweight ladder), Hayden Zillmer (#2 on 92kg ladder), Michael Kroells (3x AA) and Trevor Brandvold (2x Big Ten Champ, 2x AA) that he frequently trains with. Decent environment for a Big Guy.

Interesting perspectives. Hemida, who just placed sixth at 285 lost to Seth Nevills this year by a 9-7 score. So it was possible that Penn State/NLWC had 3 of the top 6 college-eligible 285s in the rooms this season, which is pretty incredible. But Gable certainly has a pretty good room, too.

Reactions: danoftw
I was never on-board with the automatic 4 timer thinking and certainly not the undefeated 4 timer. I saw him wrestle Kerkvliet in a high school match last year and came away slightly more impressed with Kerkvliet.
He remains a great talent and prospect. I think he needs to get in a little better shape.
This. He's not anywhere near Cassar as far as shape and endurance. There's bit a bit too much hype on Stevenson. Cassar is the real deal. More experienced, better shape, better knowledge, and a hell of a lot more fight. Stevenson couldn't keep AC down, AC kept Stevenson down. He's the better wrestler and is due those props. He beat him twice and majored White in the finals.

Reactions: diggerpup

Yeah. Someone just posted that he Kerk just blew out his ACL again. Pretty sure it's the same one. Ask Stoll how that works out for heavies.

His lifestyle is not "fine." It cost him a Big Ten Championship and NCAA Title. It's not exactly the best kept secret that Gable has some issues in that department. Does he practice? That's obvious.

He's a transcendent talent, and no, he shouldn't have taken an NCAA loss. There's still time and maybe these two losses will wake him up. Although I doubt it. The party bug is a hard one to drop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT