ADVERTISEMENT

GA St., GA St., GA St., GA St., GA St., GA St., GA St. ... Articles/Discussion

The Lions listed star junior tailback Saquon Barkley as its first-team kickoff return man on the organizational chart by position that they released ahead of the 7:30 p.m. kick against the Panthers at Beaver Stadium.

A quick look at the first 10 scripted plays for Georgia State:

1. Shovel pass
2. Shovel pass
3. Shovel pass
4. Shovel pass
5. Shovel pass
6. Shovel pass
7. Shovel pass
8. Shovel pass
9. Shovel pass
10. Fake Shovel pass, QB keeper.

Here are some articles regarding GASt's 17-10 opening loss to Tenn State. Apparently their starting QB got knocked out of that game, replaced with a dual-threat Rs So.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college-football/five-things-learned-from-georgia-state-opening-weekend-loss/SOAnEIMPf2Rxi4XSsef4uJ/

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/8/31/16238118/tennessee-state-stuns-georgia-state-in-atlanta-g5-sun-belt-shawn-elliott-gsu-stadium-atlanta

Here is their roster and list of coaches

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12700&SPID=5671&SPSID=53625

Here are a few things I found interesting.

They have a new head coach this season (Shawn Elliot) who was formerly the Offensive Coordinator at SCar under Muschamp. I guess it would be good to review what kind of offense SCar ran last year and whether it fits with GASt's current personnel.

GASt's OC is Travis Trickett, son of FSU OL coach Rick Trickett.

They have 1 PA player on roster. Pat Bartlett, a Freshman OL from Concil Rocks North HS in Newton
PA.

Last edited:
The Lions listed star junior tailback Saquon Barkley as its first-team kickoff return man on the organizational chart by position that they released ahead of the 7:30 p.m. kick against the Panthers at Beaver Stadium.

Franklin has lost faith in Sanders?

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12700&SPID=5671&SPSID=53625

They have a new head coach this season (Shawn Elliot) who was formerly the Offensive Coordinator at SCar under Muschamp. I guess it would be good to review what kind of offense SCar ran last year and whether it fits with GASt's current personnel.

They have 1 PA player on roster. Pat Bartlett, a Freshman OL from Concil Rocks North HS in Newton
PA.

The trick will be handling the Trickett trick plays.

Franklin has lost faith in Sanders?

I think it might be a while before we see Miles on the field again. He fumbled his one and only carry on Saturday and he was immediately taken off the field and didn't play another snap. His biggest problem last year was his fumbling, which he did often. I think it might be a while before we see him back on the field.

Isn't GA State where the coaching staff was "invited" to be guest instructors at a summer camp a few years back? I thought this was when the SEC coaches started pitching a fit and the NCAA ruled coaches could no longer be "guest" instructors - read, recruiters.

And, if it was GA State, I was thinking this game was a thank you for bringing in the staff. We will have you come to Beaver Stadium some year, kick your ears in and send you home with a nice $500,000 check.

Or, maybe I'm full of brown stuff on a white turkey.

OL

Reactions: Ski
I think it might be a while before we see Miles on the field again. He fumbled his one and only carry on Saturday and he was immediately taken off the field and didn't play another snap. His biggest problem last year was his fumbling, which he did often. I think it might be a while before we see him back on the field.

I would be shocked if he didn't play this week. This is exactly the kind of game the coaches can use to have him work on his fumbling issues.

Mark Allen may return this week.

Reactions: BBrown
Isn't GA State where the coaching staff was "invited" to be guest instructors at a summer camp a few years back? I thought this was when the SEC coaches started pitching a fit and the NCAA ruled coaches could no longer be "guest" instructors - read, recruiters.

And, if it was GA State, I was thinking this game was a thank you for bringing in the staff. We will have you come to Beaver Stadium some year, kick your ears in and send you home with a nice $500,000 check.

OL
Yes, we did have a satellite camp at GA State. That's my thought also, this game was a sort of quid pro quo for CJF having the camp there.

Reactions: Ski and OhioLion

OL

I thought that was Georgia Southern. Maybe my memory is wrong. In any event, Georgia State is in downtown Atlanta, and was primarily a commuter school for non-traditional students until after the 2000 Olympics. They used the athletes dorms as dorms for the university in an attempt to make it more appealing to the traditional undergraduate student. Sean Elliot was the offensive line coach for USC for a few years under Spurrier, was interim head coach when Spurrier quit mid-year, and then stayed on for 1 year with Muschamp. He never had a great reputation in Columbia, SC as the OLine coach, and his record as head coach was just awful. I really don't expect him to bring much success to GaState, and certainly not this weekend.

Here are some articles regarding GASt's 17-10 opening loss to Tenn State. Apparently their starting QB got knocked out of that game, replaced with a dual-threat Rs So.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college-football/five-things-learned-from-georgia-state-opening-weekend-loss/SOAnEIMPf2Rxi4XSsef4uJ/

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/8/31/16238118/tennessee-state-stuns-georgia-state-in-atlanta-g5-sun-belt-shawn-elliott-gsu-stadium-atlanta

PA.
I guess being Rick Trickett is better than being Dick Trickle :eek:

Reactions: OldTiredLion
Assuming we win, will CJF say afterwards..."just like beating Pitt"
In my opinion, CJF's comment that beating Pitt was just the same as beating Akron was not intended to be an outright dig at Pitt but a reinforcement of the mentality that every week is the most important opponent of the year. I doubt that anyone will ask the question in just the same way this week, but if CJF does somehow correlate a victory of GA St. to a win against Pitt, then we will be sure that what his intentions were with the comparison between Pitt and Akron victories.

IS GA State a 1-AA school?

Those classifications no longer exist in college football.

Georgia State is a NCAA Division I FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) team, as is PSU. That's equivalent to the old Division 1-A

In my opinion, CJF's comment that beating Pitt was just the same as beating Akron was not intended to be an outright dig at Pitt but a reinforcement of the mentality that every week is the most important opponent of the year. I doubt that anyone will ask the question in just the same way this week, but if CJF does somehow correlate a victory of GA St. to a win against Pitt, then we will be sure that what his intentions were with the comparison between Pitt and Akron victories.

Sure in some ways- but it was a dig no doubt, and he knew it. Or he wouldn't have phrased it like he did.

So who are the studs on GASt that we have to be worried about? It seems that these schools always have some former world beater who transferred from a "blue blood". Akron was supposed to go Ball to the Wall. pitt was supposed to show us what browne could do for them. Who for GASt will give Penn State fits?

Yes, we did have a satellite camp at GA State. That's my thought also, this game was a sort of quid pro quo for CJF having the camp there.

and if that satellite camp helped land Blake Gilliken (I don't know if it did or not) then lets have another one there. :D

So who are the studs on GASt that we have to be worried about? It seems that these schools always have some former world beater who transferred from a "blue blood". Akron was supposed to go Ball to the Wall. pitt was supposed to show us what browne could do for them. Who for GASt will give Penn State fits?
Here's an article from GaSt's 24/7 website addressing their potential impact players.

http://georgiastate.247sports.com/Article/Get-to-know-Georgia-State-with-247Sports-Ben-Moore-107351688

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT