ADVERTISEMENT

Futures Recruiting discussion

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
I'm bored. Granted the 2020 Class is a long way off, I find it more loaded and intriguing than 2019. Anyone open for some over the horizon conversation?

The nice problem to have again, is where might we fit some of these guys. It is hard to guage 2 years out because some may jump multiple weight classes.

My big 4 are either Mastrogiovani/Howard both from NJ for the low weights. Whom I really want us to get is Beau Bartlett to take over 141/149 down the road he is awesome and a must get. I assume lil bro Lee is a lock, so I'll skip him. Hillegas looks really solid but he is not yet on my top 4 list. Kennedy is the man for 174 if he can stay at that weight.

Brooks and Beard look to have 184 & 197 locked up for four years starting in 2020 so the delema there is I would l love to see lightning strike twice from Allen Texas. A J Ferrari is huge on my list, but he would either have to take out Beard or wait a couple of years. With the OTC now in play more, that can give us a little more flexibility but OTC followed by a Redshirt is a lot to ask of an 18 year old.

Plott is a good one if PSU whiffs on Starrocci. Though he may outgrow 174 and it's hard to get kids out of Oklahoma.

Ferrari would be great because he has two younger brothers who are elite. But yeah, tough fit. Mastro also with stud brother just a grade below.

Agreed for 2019 Starrocci is the only hard want on my list, with Busiello in the fold (along with Brooks and Beard if you consider them in that class due to OTC).

I'll get blasted on this board but I am on the fence with Ed Ruth, but given everything his brother did for the program I am sure Cael would love to develope him in our room. He is very good but I am unconvinced he is elite.

I didn't realize there were younger Ferrari's down stream, that makes him even more interesting. Although Beard is elite, Ferrari's record speaks for itself, he is definitely elite as well and might be able to displace someone like Beard. I think Brooks will be top 4 as a freshman and one the track for a National championship(s) in his career. He should have his choice starting at 184 and possibly moving up later in his career.

Agreed for 2019 Starrocci is the only hard want on my list, with Busiello in the fold (along with Brooks and Beard if you consider them in that class due to OTC).

I'll get blasted on this board but I am on the fence with Ed Ruth, but given everything his brother did for the program I am sure Cael would love to develope him in our room. He is very good but I am unconvinced he is elite.

I didn't realize there were younger Ferrari's down stream, that makes him even more interesting. Although Beard is elite, Ferrari's record speaks for itself, he is definitely elite as well and might be able to displace someone like Beard. I think Brooks will be top 4 as a freshman and one the track for a National championship(s) in his career. He should have his choice starting at 184 and possibly moving up later in his career.
I don't think you'll get blasted for that opinion on Ruth. Only Spyker writes in all caps when he talks about Edmond being a must get, four time lock.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
The Open Mat ranked Ruth toward the bottom of their 2019 top 100, IIRC around 93, so not an elite recruit. But someine who could exceed that expectation in the right environment. IMO that ranking is because he also has a low floor.

If we miss on Starocci, I like Thayne Lawrence in 2020.

Also gonna keep an eye on Hunter Catka. Not sure whete he fits but worth watching.

Reactions: tjb249 and psumacw
I'm very confused by this thread, not a single discussion of frozen concentrated orange juice futures.

tradinghed.jpg

Realize we're talking about class of 20 in this thread.....but Carson Manville, top ranked in class of 21 is a stud.

thanks for the intel, Paizano.

now i know who to drop in the rankings

:rolleyes:

:p

I thought I told you never to speak about such things away from our prearranged dark alley on the 3rd Tursday after each full moon, 6:17 pm. Our challenge phrase - me "I think hell just frose over", your reply "why, do you think Rutgers will be top 5 this year?"

Per your request, I then give you the list in a plain vanilla envelope, one primanti bros sandwich, and 50 yard line tickets to the annual whiteout, and you see that our blue chippers drop far enough in your ranking so that they fall off tan Tom's radar. Loose lips.... This is a private reply, right?

Last edited:
Starocci and Nijenhuis are registered at 80Kg for Akron. Two guys who might get looks for 174. Patrick Kennedy also at that weight.

Also, Kharchilava hasn't committed anywhere, correct? Seems like a very high upside 174.

I saw on Twitter land that Cael Just visited Allen, TX. Must be showing some love to Ferrari

Maybe needs its own thread, but our school is blessed with 2 of the best recruiters (Cael and Franklin) in the NCAA game. I mean the quality of athlete and person these guys are bringing in has to make all alumni proud.

Probably why they support each other they way they do it. Mutual admiration society kind of thing

#IknowIamproudtobeWEARE

Maybe needs its own thread, but our school is blessed with 2 of the best recruiters (Cael and Franklin) in the NCAA game. I mean the quality of athlete and person these guys are bringing in has to make all alumni proud.

Probably why they support each other they way they do it. Mutual admiration society kind of thing

#IknowIamproudtobeWEARE

If I'm hearing your right, you're telling us that Franklin also can't coach.

Cael and Franklin definitely have a mutual admiration society of two going on but Franklin is smart enough to know who is at the top of the mountain and who is still climbing. I hope PSU football makes it!

Cael and Franklin definitely have a mutual admiration society of two going on but Franklin is smart enough to know who is at the top of the mountain and who is still climbing. I hope PSU football makes it!
not sure if they look at the same mountain. Unfortunately, wrestling is a blip compared to football.... in many ways

not sure if they look at the same mountain. Unfortunately, wrestling is a blip compared to football.... in many ways
Different mountains, ascension of the path to success requires similar tools, plans and efforts.

Different mountains, ascension of the path to success requires similar tools, plans and efforts.
You took the words right out of my mouth. And I'll add that the respect between coaches (which I would not call a "mutual admiration society") goes well beyond Franklin and Sanderson.

I saw on Twitter land that Cael Just visited Allen, TX. Must be showing some love to Ferrari
I don't think Cael is allowed to make a recruiting visit until July 1. Must have been there to visit Bo's family!

I don't think Cael is allowed to make a recruiting visit until July 1. Must have been there to visit Bo's family!

Believe that was changed to 9/1 of the recruit's junior year with the restriction that the visit can only occur at the recruit's school.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
Believe that was changed to 9/1 of the recruit's junior year with the restriction that the visit can only occur at the recruit's school.
Off-campus recruiting date is July 1, after a recruits Junior year of High School. September 1 of a perspective student-athlete's Junior year is when recruiting phone calls can be made. To my knowledge (I didn't look it up), there are a few location restrictions, but generally the contact can be mostly anywhere...limited to 7 contacts per recruit.

Last edited:
Trying to catch up... I thought the kid from Allen, TX recently committed to tOSU? Same kid and Cael is still recruiting him (which I am fine with :)) or am I mistaking him with someone else?

Last edited:

#IknowIamproudtobeWEARE

...in addition to Willie ;)

So--they've moved approved visit (with restriction to school visit) up 10 months? Interesting. Thanks!

Trying to catch up... I thought the kid from Allen, TX recently committed to tOSU? Same kid and Cael is still recruiting him (which I am fine with :)) or am I mistaking him with someone else?
That was Braden Redlin. AJ Ferrari remains uncommitted.

Reactions: PSUer1989
You took the words right out of my mouth. And I'll add that the respect between coaches (which I would not call a "mutual admiration society") goes well beyond Franklin and Sanderson.
PSU softball and baseball coaches should be paying to attend as many of those other named "mutual admiration society" or "mountain climbing" meetings as possible. Those two programs appear to have become Rutgersesque.

Autocorrect :mad::(
Before easy on-line access to local computers, I installed a software package at a police department in far western PA. I got an emergency call from their Chief and had to drive six hours one way to fix a major problem. Turns out, the computers refused to spell the Chief's name correctly. Some smart-ass cop figured out how to get into MS Office auto-correct. Any time an officer keyed the chief's name, it automatically changed the spelling. 12 hours of travel for 15 minutes of work.

Before easy on-line access to local computers, I installed a software package at a police department in far western PA. I got an emergency call from their Chief and had to drive six hours one way to fix a major problem. Turns out, the computers refused to spell the Chief's name correctly. Some smart-ass cop figured out how to get into MS Office auto-correct. Any time an officer keyed the chief's name, it automatically changed the spelling. 12 hours of travel for 15 minutes of work.

Certainly hope you were getting paid for mileage :)

What did it change it to? Hopefully something like "Chief Fart" or something juvenile. That cop is now probably working for Rivals and mining all my data.

One of my favorite office pranks.

I am always posting from my phone and rarely remember to check for "corrections". It takes me long enough as it is pecking at each letter. When I try and text, my teenager gets impatient and takes the phone to do it for me bc I am"way too slow":oops:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT