ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Football...On FOX

lazydave841

Jan 9, 2021

In addition to the FS1 and BTN games.

At this point I hope the NFL just unleashes and goes to 7 days a week. If these college assholes don’t respect high school football, which is their feeder system , then the hell with them. It’s like they have a death wish anyway.

Apparently this was part of the deal when FOX ponied up more money to pay for the addition of Oregon and Washington

Reactions: lazydave841
The below article references a prior statement saying there would be 9 B1G games for the season. Not a surprise with the number of members and needing slots to show them.

Think the new additions would have a disproportionate share (at least at first) due to their lessor involvement in the Saturday noon games, and tOSU, UM, and PSU would continue to be “exempt”.

Friday nights should belong to HS football. Here's a novel idea for FOX: put a broadcast program together to showcase some of America's best HS Football games on Friday nights.

Friday nights should belong to HS football. Here's a novel idea for FOX: put a broadcast program together to showcase some of America's best HS Football games on Friday nights.
Why? HS football isn't something everyone watches. There's about 60 games every week. A couple games on a Friday night isn't a big deal. They obviously believe people will watch if they're scheduling games. Why are the going to pay out money to televise HS games with the money they're already spending. None of your plan makes sense. You just don't like it.

Why would (or should) FOX or any other network willingly put on programming that fewer people will watch? What is in it for FOX when their advertising revenue is far less?

They obviously believe people will watch if they're scheduling games

Smackdown was drawing 1.7-2.3 million viewers in the 8-10 pm time slot that is being vacated. Fox probably can 2.5+ depending on the teams involved and how it's marketed. They are already paying for the games.

The below article references a prior statement saying there would be 9 B1G games for the season. Not a surprise with the number of members and needing slots to show them.

Think the new additions would have a disproportionate share (at least at first) due to their lessor involvement in the Saturday noon games, and tOSU, UM, and PSU would continue to be “exempt”.

From what I've read, the schools that have basically said they cannot host on Fridays are PSU, tOSU, UM, Nebraska and Iowa. Obviously there can and will be some away games featuring those schools at times.

There's also been rumors that there will be some "after dark" games (i.e. 10:00 PM or later) on Saturdays hosted by the new schools. Which could potentially be on FOX but also FS1 or BTN.

There are already a good number of HS games on the ESPN channels. I would argue what we don't need is a bunch more HS teams travelling the country to play FB games so they can be on TV.

Why? HS football isn't something everyone watches. There's about 60 games every week. A couple games on a Friday night isn't a big deal. They obviously believe people will watch if they're scheduling games. Why are the going to pay out money to televise HS games with the money they're already spending. None of your plan makes sense. You just don't like it.
You're right, I don't like the continual grab for more & more money by the networks at the expense of diminishing HS Footballs premier night. My plan as you surmise us "pie in the sky", more of a vent.

There are already a good number of HS games on the ESPN channels. I would argue what we don't need is a bunch more HS teams travelling the country to play FB games so they can be on TV.
They don't have to travel the country. There are plenty of very competitive HS football conferences in Florida, California, Georgia, Texas, Ohio, Alabama, Tennessee, the Carolinas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and other states. The private schools like IMG, SJP, DeLasalle, Don Bosco Prep, and a few other schools from Florida, Maryland, and Texas do the bulk of travel football.

At this point who cares when they put the college games on? WE all know it's all about money$$$, so the TV networks will do what they want as they are writing the big checks to the colleges. Youth football is in serious decline, and will be irrelevant in another generation.

At this point I hope the NFL just unleashes and goes to 7 days a week. If these college assholes don’t respect high school football, which is their feeder system , then the hell with them. It’s like they have a death wish anyway.
If I'm someone that enjoys going to watch the local HS football team, I can't imagine a Rutgers-Purdue game changing that.

If I'm someone that enjoys going to watch the local HS football team, I can't imagine a Rutgers-Purdue game changing that.

That was exactly what I was thinking. If people want to go and watch their local HS football team, I don't think a third tier college game being on TV really would impact that. I mean, there's always something that can be done as an alternative entertainment (if it is not college football, for example, there could be MLB or NHL/NBA games on TV).

I will also note that not all high schools have lights and play on Friday nights. My high school always played on Saturday afternoons since it didn't have lights.

That was exactly what I was thinking. If people want to go and watch their local HS football team, I don't think a third tier college game being on TV really would impact that. I mean, there's always something that can be done as an alternative entertainment (if it is not college football, for example, there could be MLB or NHL/NBA games on TV).

I will also note that not all high schools have lights and play on Friday nights. My high school always played on Saturday afternoons since it didn't have lights.
Same. I grew up not knowing that HS football was played on Friday night. Somehow, throughout parts of the Lehigh Valley, HS and CFB coexisted on Saturdays.

You're right, I don't like the continual grab for more & more money by the networks at the expense of diminishing HS Footballs premier night. My plan as you surmise us "pie in the sky", more of a vent.
Respect for owning that. I fully respect people just not liking things but understanding why they're happening.

Exactly. There are many places where HS football is attended by students, player and marching band families, and almost no one else. I've been to several games where there were more kids in visitor uniforms than adults in the visitor stands. On the flip side, in places where HS football is a community event, a college game on TV won't keep anybody home.

On Friday night I attend the best high school football game of the week in the greater Harrisburg area then back home to watch College football on TV. A great evening in the fall I look forward to it. Wake up early drive to Penn State for a home game. Don't get any better. Football Season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT