ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Playoff adopts new '5+7' format to allow for more at-large bids

No real change. It’s just that the PAC imploded and is not considered a P5 conference now (needs 8 members), so instead of P5 + top ranked G5 conference champ + 6 at large they are going 5 conference champs (P4 and top G5) + 7 at large.

If the PAC ever gets 8 schools they’ll change it back to P5 champs + top G5 champ + 6 at large.

The real question is what revenue sharing demands are the SEC and Big Ten expecting to extend the playoff format after 2025?

No real change. It’s just that the PAC imploded and is not considered a P5 conference now (needs 8 members), so instead of P5 + top ranked G5 conference champ + 6 at large they are going 5 conference champs (P4 and top G5) + 7 at large.

If the PAC ever gets 8 schools they’ll change it back to P5 champs + top G5 champ + 6 at large.

The real question is what revenue sharing demands are the SEC and Big Ten expecting to extend the playoff format after 2025?
It matters though. CBS declared Penn State a big winner in this decision as 6 auto bids hurt us. They'll never change it back to include the PAC.

yeah. just makes it a tad less "automatic" and a little more "opinion" on who those 7 teams will be.

For me, I don't know of many teams finishing #13 who feel they have a legit shot at a 'natty. Although I can see a team like TCU finishing 10th and not getting in.

Reactions: psu00
Go over to the Notre Dame boards and they're already complaining about how unfair it is. Those a-holes want everything their way. I most definitely hate them more than any other CF program out there but a good part of that is being from the Chicago area and Northwestern grad, and after a while, you get sick of the ND BS in that area. In other words, eff ND

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
Go over to the Notre Dame boards and they're already complaining about how unfair it is. Those a-holes want everything their way. I most definitely hate them more than any other CF program out there but a good part of that is being from the Chicago area and Northwestern grad, and after a while, you get sick of the ND BS in that area. In other words, eff ND
Are they pissed that they held out on football for too long and now are associated with a crappy football conference? Seems like a "you" problem and not a "me " problem (for them).

Are they pissed that they held out on football for too long and now are associated with a crappy football conference? Seems like a "you" problem and not a "me " problem (for them).
Actually, it turned out to be a smart move by both PSU and Nebraska to get into the B1G. Schools that are not current members of either the B1G or SEC will be fighting for survival over the next 3 to 4 years.

Oh yeah, did I mention - eff Notre Dame. Hope those "holier than thou" a-holes get left out of everything

Actually, it turned out to be a smart move by both PSU and Nebraska to get into the B1G. Schools that are not current members of either the B1G or SEC will be fighting for survival over the next 3 to 4 years.

Oh yeah, did I mention - eff Notre Dame. Hope those "holier than thou" a-holes get left out of everything
I actually had a light argument with Dick Vitel on this. I was at a business conference and he was the guest speaker. During his speech, he called out PSU for being "selfish" in college sports by joining the B1G. Afterward, I told him that it was in response to ND's selfishness because they locked up an entire network (at the time, there were only three). PSU being an independent, was in danger of being locked out. PSU had no choice after Joe tried to put together a Big East conference but failed. His daughters, Dick Vitel's, went to ND and he was a big fan. He got a little huffy that I'd question ND, his intelligence, and knowledge and he huffed away.

yeah. just makes it a tad less "automatic" and a little more "opinion" on who those 7 teams will be.

For me, I don't know of many teams finishing #13 who feel they have a legit shot at a 'natty. Although I can see a team like TCU finishing 10th and not getting in.
Just one more way to get more SEC teams in.

The part that is cut off unless you go to X is, "At that point, SEC & B1G should just start their own playoff in 2026". And that is where it will end up in five years if FSU leaves the ACC and others join in.
If I were these other conferences, I would just form one superconference and let the SEC/B10 have at it with their own playoff. I would refuse to schedule the SEC/B10 in any sport.

The amount of greed by the SEC/B10 is just insatiable.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
If I were these other conferences, I would just form one superconference and let the SEC/B10 have at it with their own playoff. I would refuse to schedule the SEC/B10 in any sport.

The amount of greed by the SEC/B10 is just insatiable.
And who do you think the TV-big money would follow as would most of the fans?? It all boil;s down to MONEY. Name one school in the remaining conferences that ae even close to Texas, OSU, Alabama, Georgia, OK, PSU, Michigan, LSU......I know who I would be watching

We should want this
And that's the only way the SEC/Big Ten don't start their own playoff
Fourth in the Big Ten or SEC is more impressive than 2nd in any other conference or winning many
I hope they do spin-off.

With all that has gone off in recent years, college football is already semi-ruined - at least for me. They might as well burn down the whole village.

We should want this
And that's the only way the SEC/Big Ten don't start their own playoff
Fourth in the Big Ten or SEC is more impressive than 2nd in any other conference or winning many
Maybe in some years. But in other years (like this past year) #4 in the Big Ten or SEC might not be very good. Let the season play out, and if the BIG or SEC is all that, they will get 3 or 4 at-large teams anyway.

Why ruin the expanded playoff’s benefit of giving more fanbases hope before you even see how it plays out?

Maybe in some years. But in other years (like this past year) #4 in the Big Ten or SEC might not be very good. Let the season play out, and if the BIG or SEC is all that, they will get 3 or 4 at-large teams anyway.

Why ruin the expanded playoff’s benefit of giving more fanbases hope before you even see how it plays out?
Because it's still not inclusive. Unless all conferences get a spot (which requires a 24 team playoff) then it's ultimately still just about cash. Even with this format The SEC and Big Ten will get 6-8 spots yearly. The ACC Big XII and one G5 will get 3. ND gets one when their good. The Big XII or ACC may get a second from time to time. It's still not truly providing hope to many.
This truly benefits Penn State more than any program.

Actually 2026 is going to expand to 14 teams so the Big Ten and SEC almost have to take 8 spots. Even without autobids. 8 might be low if expansions continues lol

14 team playoff

4 SEC
4 Big Ten
2 Big XII
2 ACC
1 G5
1 At large (ideally 2 G5 once ND joins a conference or they just count them as ACC)

Are they going with all the P5/P4 champs? I read highest ranked conference champs. The P4 champs might not be the highest ranked.

simple. This isn't about determining a champion. It's about money. 4 guaranteed slots every year equals more money for the conference than the possibility of only getting 3 some years.

Are they going with all the P5/P4 champs? I read highest ranked conference champs. The P4 champs might not be the highest ranked.

From what I read the phrasing was changed, (more of a PC move to not belittle the G5 compared to the P4). So they now say the 5 highest rated conference champs. That’s effectively the P4 and top G5, (unless lightening strikes and 2 G5 champs are ranked higher than a P4 champ). Then it’s the next top ranked 7 teams in the final rankings.

The controversy will hit when the highest G5 champ is ranked #23 (or so) and #12 Oklahoma/ USC/Penn St/ Washington gets left out just so a totally undeserving G5 team is given a spot.

Using this past year, that would have meant #12 Oklahoma (10-2) would have been left out of the playoff for #23 Liberty.

Last edited:
From what I read the phrasing was changed, (more of a PC move to not belittle the G5 compared to the P4). So they now say the 5 highest rated conference champs. That’s effectively the P4 and top G5, (unless lightening strikes and 2 G5 champs are ranked higher than a P4 champ). Then it’s the next top ranked 7 teams in the final rankings.

The controversy will hit when the highest G5 champ is ranked #23 (or so) and #12 Oklahoma/ USC/Penn St/ Washington gets left out just so a totally undeserving G5 team is given a spot.

Using this past year, that would have meant #12 Oklahoma (10-2) would have been left out of the playoff for #23 Liberty.

I dont see the point of even having a G5 team and definitely not an automatic.

Reactions: psu00
Actually 2026 is going to expand to 14 teams so the Big Ten and SEC almost have to take 8 spots. Even without autobids. 8 might be low if expansions continues lol
I have not heard how they will conduct the 14-team playoff. Has anyone announced how the heck they intend to do it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT