ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle/Greco vs. Folkstyle in the off-season

I've been trying to watch more and more freestyle lately, but it's so subjective that getting into it is difficult.

You see bouts where the ref decides the victor all the time, and usually not the winner you would choose.

You watch a Spencer Lee get a takedown and go straight to a leg lace and roll over 4 times. The other kid is in no danger whatsoever of being pinned. In folkstyle the score would be 2-0. In freestyle it's a tech fall in a couple of seconds.

Where's the fun in that?

Reactions: papride1
I don't see the rules changing a ton more in the near future. Even this year, they added maybe one rule.
They added four scoring changes (five point moves, grand amplitude w/ no danger = 4 points, caution +2, and correct throw = 2), mostly to harmonize Greco and FS (no idea who was asking for this), and some other smaller tweaks (e.g., no stoppage after 30 second passivity point awarded, which is at least sensible).

And I'm not sure from where you're deriving faith in the UWW's better judgment, because the caution +2 and correct throw rules, especially, suggest that they're not really paying attention to what is and isn't working in the sport. Even if those rules are used sparingly, they'll always be dangerous in the hands of a corrupt official needing a justification to swing a match.

Freestyle is great and I understand its importance - world wide competition. However, it is way too subjective and it is corrupt. The rules already mentioned above will and do keep this sport behind our scholastic style. Some of these rules are pathetic (a correct throw?) and only add an additional level of subjectivity. I'm a fan due to the patriotic side of me, the sport, and from watching the people who represent us/make up our team.
Like the NFL, I'm not concerned about the rest of the world since we have a pretty good game ourselves (I know we didn't invent it). Our folkstyle enables a more well rounded game in my opinion. I really enjoyed freestyle because I was good on my feet, not cutting weight (fat and happy post season), and we had a different practice regiment. But the better wrestler won in folkstyle season in my opinion.
Greco is fun as well - to do - not to watch.

Correct throws are mind numbing to me. A throw scores or doesn't. Batters don't get on base for swinging a bat, so why should wrestlers get points for moves that don't end up with their opponent on the mat?

Because they believed in rewarding the offensive wrestler for attempting an action, especially when action was hard to come by.

The point of all of this discussion is, would any of you give up on PSU wrestling because they lost a bunch of recruits and didn't perform as well? No, of course you wouldn't. WE CAN'T GIVE UP ON INTERNATIONAL WRESTLING. It's really that simple. If you're not advocating for Olympic Styles, you're fueling our own demise.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Because they believed in rewarding the offensive wrestler for attempting an action, especially when action was hard to come by.

The point of all of this discussion is, would any of you give up on PSU wrestling because they lost a bunch of recruits and didn't perform as well? No, of course you wouldn't. WE CAN'T GIVE UP ON INTERNATIONAL WRESTLING. It's really that simple. If you're not advocating for Olympic Styles, you're fueling our own demise.

I am not giving up on international wrestling Crop. Just stating my preferences and why. I am supporting Olympic style, but certainly not saying it is my fav. Are you saying USA failure = demise of Olympics?

Have watched this for a while, and a lot of good comments and back and forth. For me, with my club team, the answer is easy-whatever they want to do. As long as they are on the mat, I will help some with free, and some will work strictly folk. We just have an open mat one night a week for them to come in. Have had good luck keeping them involved this way. The ones more interested in free we send to work with other clubs.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

I'm not ready to give up on international wrestling, though it needs to be a two-way street. Here is a subset of things UWW could choose to do to not give up on me: stabilize the rules; clean up performance enhancing drugs; clean up corruption; improve officiating; get better (or any) TV coverage of its events; restore the full set of weight classes in the Olympics.

Shorter version: UWW leadership needs to not be the flying sh**storm FILA was.

Rewatching NCAA. Olympic bronze and gold were moved to the front instead of normally the finale. All you need to know about folk vs free in the states.

I watch Freestyle when PSU guys are involved, all of my earlier comments are based off of my preferences, between the styles.

Freestyle fans, you're not going to convert the folkstyle fans. Try to convince them to watch the athletes vs. the style. Just like trying to convert us to enjoy the metric system. Not going to happen.

Just started Day 5 of the Junior European Championships this morning. 2x as many fans here for Greco on its first day than were here for freestyle.

For the record, riding time sucks.

Reactions: CropDuster507
Freestyle fans, you're not going to convert the folkstyle fans. Try to convince them to watch the athletes vs. the style. Just like trying to convert us to enjoy the metric system. Not going to happen.

Just started Day 5 of the Junior European Championships this morning. 2x as many fans here for Greco on its first day than were here for freestyle.

For the record, riding time sucks.

Riding time sucks for guys that can't or couldn't get out from bottom.

Sidebar: Without starting a new thread... Anyone from the board gonna be up in Fargo, this coming weekend?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT