ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin's fourth and one

drpops

Nov 16, 2001
Franklin went for it twice on fourth down and both times it lead to field goals for Auburn. That's 6 points of Auburn's 20.

Franklin said - paraphrasing - he felt he could go for it because PSU has a really good defense. Fine, so punt the ball and pin them back. Play field position - we have a very good D! The first one was early in the first quarter and both teams were feeling each other out. Why take the risk now? It makes no sense to me. He's done this type of decision in the past too. I wish he would allow the players to determine the game. We are good and have play makers who don't need psychological victories. The 6 points given up due to Auburn having great field position weren't needed and allowed them to be in the game until the end.

Franklin did a much better job on managing timeouts so he is improving. That's a positive.

In Franklin's defense, he got one of the first downs and it was stolen away by the corrupt SEC refs.

That being said, I am not a fan of it. We did the same against Wisconsin on the first drive in Madison and didn't get it. Just punt and don't make it easier for them.

Franklin went for it twice on fourth down and both times it lead to field goals for Auburn. That's 6 points of Auburn's 20.

Franklin said - paraphrasing - he felt he could go for it because PSU has a really good defense. Fine, so punt the ball and pin them back. Play field position - we have a very good D! The first one was early in the first quarter and both teams were feeling each other out. Why take the risk now? It makes no sense to me. He's done this type of decision in the past too. I wish he would allow the players to determine the game. We are good and have play makers who don't need psychological victories. The 6 points given up due to Auburn having great field position weren't needed and allowed them to be in the game until the end.

Franklin did a much better job on managing timeouts so he is improving. That's a positive.
I thought both attempted 4th down conversation were the right call. I do wish CJF would have got more animated about the lost down call by the refs.

I liked going for it both times, I didn’t like the specific plays that were run though. The first time we really needed about 2 yards, not a good QB sneak spot, and the second time I’d just prefer the ball be in the hands of the stable of RBs rather than a DL. I think coaches get a little too cute sometimes.

If I were Franklin I would have kept calling timeouts until the refs figured it out. I would keep sending the team on the field and then timeout.

Too lazy to look it up. I would be curious to see our 4th down conversion rate over the last 5-6 years.

I didn't like the way the 4th down QB sneak was executed.

Clifford told Auburn he was sneaking it with his stance, so they totally crowded the center. It had no chance.

Later we realized that we were getting no push from the middle of our line in the running game, so we went to a Plan B with extra meat. That didn't work either. Whistle should have blown when forward progress was stopped. Since they did not blow the whistle, this was another blown officiating call.

I think next time, if we elect to go for it when overmatched on the line, we'll see a little more creativity. Yurcich doesn't seem like the type of guy to repeat the same mistake over and over again. I could not say that about previous OCs.

I agree 100%. Pin Auburn deep in their own territory and let the crowd take over from there.

I would be OK with going for it if we had a proven running game. The problem is we don't.

Not making it the first time, I would have been OK with a 3 TE set and leaking one out past the first down marker for a quick throw for a first down. I was hoping they were going to try something like that since Auburn was stuffing the run up the middle.

Trying the same thing multiple times with the same bad results every time is the definition of insanity.

Not making it the first time, I would have been OK with a 3 TE set and leaking one out past the first down marker for a quick throw for a first down. I was hoping they were going to try something like that since Auburn was stuffing the run up the middle.

Trying the same thing multiple times with the same bad results every time is the definition of insanity.
Do like we did on the TD to Strange. Play action with a toss to Strange.

Punt. We have a great punter, use him. Why does PSU keep spotting our opponents points. Nothing good happens when you give your opponent such great field position when you could have buried him, especially so early in the game. It's a long game. Field position matters. Even if you get a 3 and out they punt and bury PSU. This has become a disturbing habit in the last few years

And 1 of those should have been a first down but like most of the game the ref's f'd that call up too.

BWI CAC losing its grip. It took almost 2 days to start coaching Franklin on his mistakes. PSU should be 3-0 this season......oh wait!
I'd have liked to see him punt the first time as well, but everyone (me included) would have agreed it was the right call if PSU got the first down and scored. It's only being discussed because it didn't work out.
I thought the fake punt should have been audibled to a punt # and alignment wasn't right for the fake called. However, replay shows that the line to gain was in fact easily (after a push) attained. So are we to criticize Franklin for the officials error?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
BWI CAC losing its grip. It took almost 2 days to start coaching Franklin on his mistakes. PSU should be 3-0 this season......oh wait!
I'd have liked to see him punt the first time as well, but everyone (me included) would have agreed it was the right call if PSU got the first down and scored. It's only being discussed because it didn't work out.
I thought the fake punt should have been audibled to a punt # and alignment wasn't right for the fake called. However, replay shows that the line to gain was in fact easily (after a push) attained. So are we to criticize Franklin for the officials error?
Since I'm included in the everyone, I'd say that if we made it and scored, I'd have been happy, very happy, but I still would think we should have punted. Of course, you can't get much more conservative than me when it comes to these kind of decisions. Now if there's 2 minutes to play and you are losing, of course you go for it.

Hindsight is 20/20. I liked the first one and even said out loud when watching that our defense is good enough that risking a turnover on downs at that field position was probably OK. I was less jazzed about the 2nd one because by that point in the game Auburn had proven they could run the ball against us and I was more worried about giving them a short field. But I didn't strongly disagree with it either, and at that part of the field I'm ok with either decision really.

Well, you posted this on a Monday morning, which is appropriate.

Reactions: Hellspite

This hasn't exactly been a negative thread. It's just fans discussing their opinions on the decisions and play calls in those situations. We aren't allowed to do that?

Reactions: bison13
I hated going for it on the first 4th down, I view it as unnecessary bravado at that point in the game.
I was all for it the second time, the distance was shorter and the flow of the game had been established.

I get the confidence in the D, but there’s a time and place for everything. Way too early in the game for that type of risk, just punt it and pin em deep. Secondly, a QB sneak with nearly two full yards to go is extremely ill advised.

I am a huge Franklin fan and he’s done a great job here. He’s an incredible program builder, fantastic PR guy, amazing recruiter, an energetic force for the team and you could tell he really loves his kids and when he speaks of building a family it’s not just BS.

That said, every coach has flaws and even his biggest admirers have to admit for him it’s in game management; including poor decisions on going for two when it’s unnecessary, bad clock management and bad decisions like going for it when it’s uncalled for. He can improve in all these areas.

That said, I want him to stay and be our coach for the next 20 years or so!

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: BBrown
I loved the fake punt call and in fact it worked. Penn State was jobbed all night by an SEC crew, and that's why I started my own thread on the topic. I was promptly referred to as paranoid by a poster, but I really don't believe it's paranoia unless you claim this happens every game. This is the first game I have seen since 2014 in which I felt penn state was jobbed.

I thought both attempted 4th down conversation were the right call. I do wish CJF would have got more animated about the lost down call by the refs.
He should have gotten very [more] animated and asked for a review of the spot on the Mustipher play. The whistle clearly blew after he had crossed the line to gain.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I am a Franklin fan, and I thought it was really dumb to go for it on both occasions (unnecessarily risky) and would have felt that way even if PSU converted. In a 0-0 game, you pin your opponent deep with the frenzied student section directly behind them and build momentum. On the fake punt, the best evidence of how ill conceived it was that our 327 pound ball carrier had to be pushed across the line well after his momentum had been slowed if not stopped. Auburn clearly wasn't fooled and there was no need to take that risk at that time. Just play field position.

Reactions: BBrown and Gitzit
I liked going for it both times, I didn’t like the specific plays that were run though. The first time we really needed about 2 yards, not a good QB sneak spot, and the second time I’d just prefer the ball be in the hands of the stable of RBs rather than a DL. I think coaches get a little too cute sometimes.
This.
Didn’t mind going for it. If you think you have the better team. Don’t fake it, line up with your offense and get the first. I’d much prefer Cain or Lovett running than PJ Mustipher

Reactions: BBrown
I read somewhere that the chains weren't in the right place and he thought it was much shorter than whatever it was.

I am a Franklin fan, and I thought it was really dumb to go for it on both occasions (unnecessarily risky) and would have felt that way even if PSU converted. In a 0-0 game, you pin your opponent deep with the frenzied student section directly behind them and build momentum. On the fake punt, the best evidence of how ill conceived it was that our 327 pound ball carrier had to be pushed across the line well after his momentum had been slowed if not stopped. Auburn clearly wasn't fooled and there was no need to take that risk at that time. Just play field position.
Stout is good for punting long distances, but doesn’t pin opponents inside the five very well.

I vote we never punt. 4th and 40 whatever. No punts ever.

I don't disagree.

Hey everyone I can find a decision that went wrong by a football coach....awesome. Mustipher did get that first down. He gets the other one and everyone sings his praises as being aggressive.

Last edited:
Stout is good for punting long distances, but doesn’t pin opponents inside the five very well.
It was a stupid call. They were around the 50 yard line, you just don't take risks like that. If you've already established you could run the ball, yeah then go for it around the 40 or closer. Franklin does this all the time and it drives me crazy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT