ADVERTISEMENT

WR depth chart playing out this Spring, from what Franklin said....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
From an article by Pickel on BWI:
"It seems clear that Lambert-Smith an
d Harrison “Tre” Wallace will likely be the team’s top receivers this fall."

It sure doesn't seem clear to me that Wallace will be one of the 3 starting WR's in 2023. He had his share of drops and long periods of being MIA in games considering he got a good many opportunities on the field. Wallace is reportedly very athletic, but I haven't seen the true YAC ability from him, or from KLS either.

Also from the BWI article
"From an athletic standpoint, the 6-foot-1, 184-pound Virginia native has all the tools to be a top-level performer. That was on display during a record-setting 88-yard catch and run for a touchdown at the Rose Bowl."

What was really on display on that 88 yard catch? Really only that the Utah defense had a breakdown and failed to cover KLS, that KLS when wide open did manage to catch the ball, and that KLS was fast enough to get to the end zone given a 5-10 yard cushion to start the run after the catch. Not trying to be negative but the jury is still out on KLS being able to break a tackle at a key time in a game against top DB or put a move on to get away from a top DB, or to have the vision and decisiveness to make a great cut for a big play against a top defense. Or to make a good share of contested catches or for that matter 50-50 balls down the field that we haven't seen since Godwin wore Blue & White.

Franklin is only going to go so far to praise the new players after he layed out some welcome praise for McClain so I don't expect him to annoint McClain one of the top couple WR's after Spring practice. But from the highlights I saw of McClain's catches during his time at FSU I saw plays, strong catches, making moves on DB's to create YAC, and him using his size to make plays that I haven't seen from either KLS or Harrison. Or anyone else on the current PSU roster.

If Harrison and KLS take a step forward, and McClain as well as he works into the trust of the coaches, together with the reported talent and production of Cephus, it will be a great problem to have ending up with 4 WR's that are productive and take advantage of their opportunities in Yurcich's offense in 2023. But PSU really will need a sure handed productive WR to lead the group the way Washington did last season and given what we have seen so far in their PSU careers KLS and Harrison will need to take a big step for either of them to fill that role. I'm hoping to be at the B/W game to get a glimpse of the WR potential on the team, but it seems we won't really know what PSU has at WR until the first game against a quality opponent next Fall.

It’s surely possible that a player who redshirted last season such as Saunders could break into the top 4 or 5, or get a few snaps a game and break out somewhat, but it seems like the top of the WR depth chart is most likely KLS, Harrison, McClain, and Cephus.

Last edited:

It sure doesn't seem clear to me that Wallace will be one of the 3 starting WR's in 2023. He had his share of drops and long periods of being MIA in games considering he got a good many opportunities on the field. Wallace is reportedly very athletic, but I haven't seen the true YAC ability from him, or from KLS either.

"From an athletic standpoint, the 6-foot-1, 184-pound Virginia native has all the tools to be a top-level performer. That was on display during a record-setting 88-yard catch and run for a touchdown at the Rose Bowl."

What was really on display on that 88 yard catch? Really only that the Utah defense had a breakdown and failed to cover KLS, that KLS when wide open did manage to catch the ball, and that KLS was fast enough to get to the end zone given a 5-10 yard cushion to start the run after the catch. Not trying to be negative but the jury is still out on KLS being able to break a tackle at a key time in a game against top DB or put a move on to get away from a top DB, or to have the vision and decisiveness to make a great cut for a big play against a top defense. Or to make a good share of contested catches or for that matter 50-50 balls down the field that we haven't seen since Godwin wore Blue & White.

Franklin is only going to go so far to praise the new players after he layed out some welcome praise for McClain so I don't expect him to annoint McClain one of the top couple WR's after Spring practice. But from the highlights I saw of McClain's catches during his time at FSU I saw plays, strong catches, making moves on DB's to create YAC, and him using his size to make plays that I haven't seen from either KLS or Harrison. Or anyone else on the current PSU roster.

If Harrison and KLS take a step forward, and McClain as well as he works into the trust of the coaches, together with the reported talent and production of Cephus, it will be a great problem to have ending up with 4 WR's that are productive and take advantage of their opportunities in Yurcich's offense in 2023. But PSU really will need a sure handed productive WR to lead the group the way Washington did last season and given what we have seen so far in their PSU careers KLS and Harrison will need to take a big step for either of them to fill that role. I'm hoping to be at the B/W game to get a glimpse of the WR potential on the team, but it seems we won't really know what PSU has at WR until the first game against a quality opponent next Fall.
Really....

Kaden Saunders?

The position group that worries me most is the receiver position. Cephus is a MAC transfer. He wasn't exactly impressive against top tier competition or even better MAC competition. Lambert-Smith was benched midseason (the trolls will say he got hurt of course) and the team was better for it going to 12 personnel. Getting lucky due to an unforced mistake does not make you ready for the next step. The kid from Florida State is unproven. The rest of the roster appears to be pretty similar to our second team for the duration of Franklin's time. If we are lucky, we will be as good as last year. That is the most I expect after years of recruiting failures at the position where we don't identify talent that can play at the next level and when we get them, we don't develop them either (minus two years under Stubbs who Franklin foolishly fired).

The position group that worries me most is the receiver position. Cephus is a MAC transfer. He wasn't exactly impressive against top tier competition or even better MAC competition. Lambert-Smith was benched midseason (the trolls will say he got hurt of course) and the team was better for it going to 12 personnel. Getting lucky due to an unforced mistake does not make you ready for the next step. The kid from Florida State is unproven. The rest of the roster appears to be pretty similar to our second team for the duration of Franklin's time. If we are lucky, we will be as good as last year. That is the most I expect after years of recruiting failures at the position where we don't identify talent that can play at the next level and when we get them, we don't develop them either (minus two years under Stubbs who Franklin foolishly fired).
Why would the trolls say that he hot hurt. The trolls would say that he was benched.

Reactions: PSU2UNC and bison13
I kind of changed my take on both KLS and Wallace after re-watching some of the late season games. KLS really started to play consistently. And Wallace had some drops but also made some nice catches.

I think they are both on a trajectory to be solid B1G receivers, maybe 2nd or 3rd team all B1G. Penn State can win with them assuming Donte Cephas and the other transfers can play.

Are they the kind of wideouts Ohio State recruits and Michigan frequently recruits? No, but that's not their fault. Penn State has got to get stability with wideout coaching and produce some good players, and then recruiting will follow.

I kind of changed my take on both KLS and Wallace after re-watching some of the late season games. KLS really started to play consistently. And Wallace had some drops but also made some nice catches.

I think they are both on a trajectory to be solid B1G receivers, maybe 2nd or 3rd team all B1G. Penn State can win with them assuming Donte Cephas and the other transfers can play.

Are they the kind of wideouts Ohio State recruits and Michigan frequently recruits? No, but that's not their fault. Penn State has got to get stability with wideout coaching and produce some good players, and then recruiting will follow.

Also, keep in mind quarterbacks make receivers and vice versa. If Allar can do what he flashed last fall, he'll make throws that no PSU QB has been able to make in a long time, and that makes the receivers' job so much easier because they don't need much separation to get the ball; all they have to do is catch it reliably and they'll be productive.

Reactions: royboy
That’s not what others said about Cephas but then again who am I am I to disagree with someone who knows everything?

Cephus is going to be better than any of you might imagine. Right now we have 4 legit play makers at wr...including Evans plus 1 and 6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT