ADVERTISEMENT

New basketball coach

cyrizzle

Jan 10, 2010
My first choice for the new basketball coach is Jay Wright. I know that’s a pipe dream, and I don’t see it happening, but he might be the only coach out there who could fix this thing in the short term. We are inevitably going to have a mass exodus of players via the transfer portal. Jay Wright would be one of the few (maybe the only) coach out there who would be able to keep the ship sailing in the right direction with his ability to recruit and his incredible in-game coaching. If we don’t get Jay Wright, I want Adam Fisher for a few different reasons…

1. He is a PSU alum, grew up near Philly and bleeds blue and white. He would be loyal to PSU and wouldn’t jump ship and chase the money after one good season. Kraft can’t make the mistake of hiring another outsider like Shrews who is in it for himself.
2. He has the backing of the players that led us to our first NCAA tournament since 2011 and our first NCAA tournament win since 2001. I don’t think I need to expand on that anymore. Enough said.
3. He’s young. This combined with his loyalty to PSU means maybe he can be like Franklin and Cael and he will stay for 10+ years and really build something special.

if there is even a 0.1% chance that Jay Wright would talk to us, that would surprise me.

you go from Jay Wright straight to Adam Fisher? what?

Adam Fisher would also leave PSU if the price was right...you're dreaming if you think that he's loyal to PSU even if Neptune doesn't work out and Villanova comes calling and offers a big bump. At the end of the day, almost every coach will be in it for themselves (and their families, as they should be).

In my opinion, Jay Wright is so unrealistic that it's not worth discussing really.

Reactions: Ski
Adam Fisher would also leave PSU if the price was right...you're dreaming if you think that he's loyal to PSU even if Neptune doesn't work out and Villanova comes calling and offers a big bump. At the end of the day, almost every coach will be in it for themselves (and their families, as they should be).

In my opinion, Jay Wright is so unrealistic that it's not worth discussing really.
Okay, if that’s the case, then PSU should be able to entice an established coach by making a big financial commitment.

apparently it only goes one direction

Now we can't even hold on to Adam Fisher prior to him even having a job
Any non-Adam Fisher coach that we hire will be due to us paying him more than his current job and/or giving him a better opportunity. So why would it only go in one direction? The Penn State job was better than East Tennessee St in 2003, Boston U in 2011, and the seat next to Painter in 2021.

You people don’t get it , the bot does not care about basketball this has been going on for 25 years just bring in a high school coach and everyone will be happy

You people don’t get it , the bot does not care about basketball this has been going on for 25 years just bring in a high school coach and everyone will be happy
What should the "BOT" be doing to show that they care about basketball? And who exactly is the "everyone" that would be happy if they hire a high school coach?

I mean, people have brought up Earl, Crispin, and Battle as good choices...at least it seems like it's only a fringe that sees them as viable candidates.
there were times in PSU's past when they might have been the only candidates

i guess that is progress, kind of

Surprised we haven't heard Dan Earl's name pop up.
I think that he survived VMI for 7 years as best as anyone could. We have a lax player from our school there. It definitely is not for everybody. My buddy had a son from Roanoke whobwas recruited by VMI. Dude bisited once and ran like hell....

Lateral Southern Conference move to UT Chattanooga with a just above .500 record (including 3 wins over VMI and 3 losses to Furman). Let's see how he does recruiting at a "civilian school." However, it does l99k like he portaled in 5 or so guys this year including 2 VMI players.

His time on our staff and then with Ed at Navy got him the VMI gig. Maybe in time he is a candidate, but that time is not now (in my opinion).

Reactions: bdgan
Interesting that I have indirect connections to 2 names that have come up: Mitch Henderson and Tommy Amaker.

Mitch was best man in my cousins wedding and he and his family are still very close with my cousin. I did meet him at the wedding, along with most of that 96 team and Bill Carmody (who Mitch coached under at Northwestern).

My sis lives in the same NYC Upper East Side block as Amakers sister. They are close. I have not met Tommy.

However, I cannot imagine either one coming to PSU. I'd be ok with either of them...but I think their lives are pretty balanced and centered where they are.

Despite what some posters think, it isn't always about cash and climbing the ladder...these 2 coaches are in amazing places in great positions with the freedom to smell the roses.

In my opinion, VCU is about to get "Notre Damed" by us....and while I don't necessarily like that...it seems to be the new way. So be it.

Reactions: bison13
David Jones just released a new article on PennLive indicating the administration still wants to make a splash and would go as high as $4M a year to do so, more than double what they have ever done.

Mentions that Mike Rhoades of VCU has been in contact with PSU since Shrewsberry left.

David Jones just released a new article on PennLive indicating the administration still wants to make a splash and would go as high as $4M a year to do so, more than double what they have ever done.

Mentions that Mike Rhoades of VCU has been in contact with PSU since Shrewsberry left.

Did he also add a section to the article listing ten reasons why no coach should come to Penn State?

Rhodes currently makes around 1.75 million, bumping it to 3 would be a good start I think

apparently it only goes one direction

Now we can't even hold on to Adam Fisher prior to him even having a job
Yeah, that’s my point. This shouldn’t be a one-sided matter. Let
Well it hasn't happened yet. But if it does... joke's on ND. They may have just paid us to get a better coach.
Hopefully, this turns out to be a fortuitous thing for PSU. I don’t mean to diminish Shrewsbury as a head coach, but ND is taking a big gamble on a coach who only has been a head coach for two seasons and, less than two months ago, was leading a veteran-laden team to another disappointing season. The fact that ND hired him perhaps tells you what the current state of their program is.

Hopefully, this turns out to be a fortuitous thing for PSU. I don’t mean to diminish Shrewsberry as a head coach, but ND is taking a big gamble on a coach who only has been a head coach for two seasons and, less than two months ago, was leading a veteran-laden team to another disappointing season. The fact that ND hired him perhaps tells you what the current state of their program is.

It's hard to comment on it without sounding like it's sour grapes. But he was a coach for two years and the best one was 10th place in the B1G. And the 2024 team was going to be really bad. He had us playing great for about a two- or three-week period. And for that they are paying him more than the coaches at Purdue and Indiana. If I was not a PSU fan I'd look at that hire like, wtf are they doing.

Reactions: 81b&w and bdgan
It's hard to comment on it without sounding like it's sour grapes. But he was a coach for two years and the best one was 10th place in the B1G. And the 2024 team was going to be really bad. He had us playing great for about a two- or three-week period. And for that they are paying him more than the coaches at Purdue and Indiana. If I was not a PSU fan I'd look at that hire like, wtf are they doing.
If I were an ND fan, I would consider it to be a panic hire. I have to believe that he probably wasn’t even on their radar when they decided to let Brey go. With that said, I admit that it would have been better for us if he had stayed because I thought that he was beginning to get some traction. However, there’s no reason why PSU can’t hire a coach with equal or even better credentials who can bring some of his current players and use the portal to make the rebuild a little easier to take.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If I were an ND fan, I would consider it to be a panic hire. I have to believe that he probably wasn’t even on their radar when they decided to let Brey go. With that said, I admit that it would have been better for us if he had stayed because I thought that he was beginning to get some traction. However, there’s no reason why PSU can’t hire a coach with equal or even better credentials who can bring some of his current players and use the portal to make the rebuild a little easier to take.
I feel like Micah's representation was probably in contact with ND the moment that Brey was let go. Also feel like he was not one of their top targets at the beginning.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Interesting that I have indirect connections to 2 names that have come up: Mitch Henderson and Tommy Amaker.

Mitch was best man in my cousins wedding and he and his family are still very close with my cousin. I did meet him at the wedding, along with most of that 96 team and Bill Carmody (who Mitch coached under at Northwestern).

My sis lives in the same NYC Upper East Side block as Amakers sister. They are close. I have not met Tommy.

However, I cannot imagine either one coming to PSU. I'd be ok with either of them...but I think their lives are pretty balanced and centered where they are.

Despite what some posters think, it isn't always about cash and climbing the ladder...these 2 coaches are in amazing places in great positions with the freedom to smell the roses.

In my opinion, VCU is about to get "Notre Damed" by us....and while I don't necessarily like that...it seems to be the new way. So be it.
I agree. I think Rhoades is the primary target and I think he would do well.

Why settle for Jay Wright? Why not reanimated John Wooden or Dean Smith?

I posted on the other thread, but get Mike Rhoades right now, end of story.

Mike Rhoades is from Mahanoy City. Played at Lebanon Valley and was mentored by Pat Flannerty, former Bucknell coach and Pottsville native.

Mike’s dad was a teacher, coach, principal and longtime state senator, who was tragically killed by a drunk driver about a dozen years ago. His uncle is a Catholic bishop.

Mike and his family are great people, the best of what coal region folks offer, or at least used to. High morals, community minded, tough and capable. He’s a PA guy, just seems like a perfect fit and is highly qualified. It makes too much sense not to happen.

Mike Rhoades is from Mahanoy City. Played at Lebanon Valley and was mentored by Pat Flannerty, former Bucknell coach and Pottsville native.

Mike’s dad was a teacher, coach, principal and longtime state senator, who was tragically killed by a drunk driver about a dozen years ago. His uncle is a Catholic bishop.

Mike and his family are great people, the best of what coal region folks offer, or at least used to. High morals, community minded, tough and capable. He’s a PA guy, just seems like a perfect fit and is highly qualified. It makes too much sense not to happen.
Makes a lot of sense. Makes more sense than May for PSU, even with May going to the Final 4.

Which means it likely won't happen
Honestly I'm all for that but I dont care about a "PA guy". I want the best coach and best recruiter that we can get. If they leave in 2-4 years it means we've had a good couple years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT