ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin will plan for 3 hour weather delays

chizco

Jan 9, 2006
James Franklin:
“I’ve never been a part of something like that before. I like to say we have a plan We have a plan for whatever may come. I didn't have anything in my coaching manual about how to handle a 3-hour and 22-minute delay. I'll guarantee you I will have one moving forward. I'll talk to sports scientists, I'll talk to other coaches..."

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice JimBob: Don't waste your time developing a plan for an event that happens once every 50 years. Do spend more time with the game plan for an event that happens every Saturday. Don't worry about a 3-hour and 22-minute weather delay. Do concentrate on what's going on during 3-hour and 22-minute football games. Don't talk with other coaches. Do talk with your coaches, and demand an answer to one simple question - WTF? Don't dwell on the rain, but do lead your team out of their fog.

Do have a plan, everybody on here pooh poohed Wanny on Fox yesterday for saying Sparty had the advantage with the delay since PSU would be stuck in a cramped locker room. Took some time for the team to be ready to go once the game resumed.

The plan gets put together during the slow time of the off-season. May never use it, or could use the first game next year, who knows.

James Franklin:
“I’ve never been a part of something like that before. I like to say we have a plan We have a plan for whatever may come. I didn't have anything in my coaching manual about how to handle a 3-hour and 22-minute delay. I'll guarantee you I will have one moving forward. I'll talk to sports scientists, I'll talk to other coaches..."

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice JimBob: Don't waste your time developing a plan for an event that happens once every 50 years. Do spend more time with the game plan for an event that happens every Saturday. Don't worry about a 3-hour and 22-minute weather delay. Do concentrate on what's going on during 3-hour and 22-minute football games. Don't talk with other coaches. Do talk with your coaches, and demand an answer to one simple question - WTF? Don't dwell on the rain, but do lead your team out of their fog.

If PSU would have won the very close game that it was no one would have asked CJF to explain the unexplainable. With the emotional state CJF was in after the game he tried to explain the unexplainable. His bad. But I sure do not hold that against him. It's not his fault that this happened at an away game. Just the luck of the draw. CJF will get his team prepared for Rutgers, Rutgers, Rutgers......

He can't change the whole play book in mid season. But he may tweek it coming down the stretch.

Reactions: marshall23
James Franklin:

I did waste 5 seconds reading your post.

Last edited:
Feel better now?
James Franklin:

I’m surprised these delays don’t happen more often really. At least he’ll learn from the situation and hopefully be able motivate the guys next time. They just seemed listless after the delay. Maybe Chickfila doctored the sandwiches...

Just think how bad the team would be if Franklin didn’t have the benefit of unlimited free advice from the gaggle of armchair geniuses.

I’m surprised these delays don’t happen more often really. At least he’ll learn from the situation and hopefully be able motivate the guys next time. They just seemed listless after the delay. Maybe Chickfila doctored the sandwiches...

It was pizza, not chicken sammiches.

It was pizza, not chicken sammiches.
The sideline guy said Chickfila for us and some local place for the Spartans when they were coming back from the break. They are young men with the metabolism of rabbits though...maybe they did one at the beginning of the break and one later?

Franklin's comments about not having a plan for this situation, and now developing a plan -- this may seem strange, but I think his organization and thoroughness are some of the qualities that make him successful, and will ultimately result in many championships.

And, as noted elsewhere, he demands good behavior and character from his players, yet another great quality of his.

This is a guy we are lucky to have. He and Penn State fit together very well.

I have seen a lot more of this recently. Last season we had three for Columbus Crew games--that said we had a firefighter get struck by lightning outside the stadium a couple years before that who eventually succumbed (a year or so later). Delays like that used to be pretty rare.

It's an interesting conundrum, this lightning delay. I was at Pocono II in 2012 and they had hard rain and lightning for a long time. They stopped the race (Nascar doesn't run in rain or even a wet surface for those who may not know) and implored everyone to leave and go to their cars and wait it out. It was pouring buckets. A race fan friend was with me and said "Which is worse, being out in the open field parking lot, or here under the bleachers?" I still don't know the answer to that one but a fan in the parking lot was killed by a lightning strike that year. What is the venue to do? Sit here and risk lightning strike or go to our parking lots and take your chances there? The fan's family did end up suing Pocono and they didn't recover damages.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/pocono_raceway_not_at_fault_in.html

This article says they sent out tweets but they also definitely announced it over the track sound system multiple times, as I was there and heard it. We did eventually go out and sit in the car.

In the wake of this incident, it's hard to condemn the venue either way. Some things can't be controlled. Pocono tried to do what they thought was safe and a man still ended up dying. I don't know the answer. I'm sure there are safety people who study these things and formulate best practices. Still, there are tragedies.

MSU wasn't going to invite PSU to the juice bar. In the future i would imagine a supply of food & nutritional drinks will roll with, or in their tractor trailer.

Reactions: doublehaul
I'll talk to sports scientists

This is what I'd call a red flag.

Stop worrying about nonsense like this, and start worrying about the fact that your offense has the most talented player in the country, and you and your staff have no idea how to get the most out of him.

Stop worrying about nonsense like this, and start worrying about the fact that your offense has the most talented player in the country, and you and your staff have no idea how to get the most out of him.
I don't think JF is going to spend this week speaking to sports scientists. That will be something for the off-season.

Well, he's scored TDs on long runs, short runs, pass receptions, kickoff returns, and even thrown the ball a couple times. He's taken direct snaps from center, lined up on either side of the QB, split out wide, shifted his position in the backfield, and gone in motion. There have been issues in blocking for him and teams have devoted a good portion of their defense to stopping #26. So it's not like this is not a constant task for coaches and players.

Do you care to re-state your point, or did you have something reasonable to add?

Reactions: hlstone
Do you care to re-state your point, or did you have something reasonable to add?

My point is that when they've played good defenses, he's averaging about 2 ypc. Unless you were happy with how they used him against OSU and MSU. I happen to think running a scheme which is set up to intentionally leave defensive linemen unblocked makes it pretty easy for defenses to take Barkley away. Defensive ends can just crash down and smother Barkley as soon as he touches the ball.

14 carries against MSU. 21 carries for 44 yds against OSU. Both in very close games. Not good enough.

Bruh?! :eek:

Pizza was mentioned during the game. I thought a reporter tweeted that. Then again, media and false narratives and all.

Yeah - you’re my bruh. Chicfila mentioned in articles from 247 and others.

My point is that when they've played good defenses, he's averaging about 2 ypc. Unless you were happy with how they used him against OSU and MSU. I happen to think running a scheme which is set up to intentionally leave defensive linemen unblocked makes it pretty easy for defenses to take Barkley away. Defensive ends can just crash down and smother Barkley as soon as he touches the ball.

14 carries against MSU. 21 carries for 44 yds against OSU. Both in very close games. Not good enough.
Kevin, your point is not particularly original or interesting.

It's an interesting conundrum, this lightning delay. I was at Pocono II in 2012 and they had hard rain and lightning for a long time. They stopped the race (Nascar doesn't run in rain or even a wet surface for those who may not know) and implored everyone to leave and go to their cars and wait it out. It was pouring buckets. A race fan friend was with me and said "Which is worse, being out in the open field parking lot, or here under the bleachers?" I still don't know the answer to that one but a fan in the parking lot was killed by a lightning strike that year. What is the venue to do? Sit here and risk lightning strike or go to our parking lots and take your chances there? The fan's family did end up suing Pocono and they didn't recover damages.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/pocono_raceway_not_at_fault_in.html

This article says they sent out tweets but they also definitely announced it over the track sound system multiple times, as I was there and heard it. We did eventually go out and sit in the car.

In the wake of this incident, it's hard to condemn the venue either way. Some things can't be controlled. Pocono tried to do what they thought was safe and a man still ended up dying. I don't know the answer. I'm sure there are safety people who study these things and formulate best practices. Still, there are tragedies.
bunch of GD wimps these now a days. This is the way we did it back in the day!!!!

Reactions: Victor E. Bell

So you're bitching about the offense ... in a game where we had almost 500 yards of offense. Got it.

Given our level of expertise in coaching football and the like, I think it is extremely valuable for us to hyperanalyze Franklin’s every word and micromanage his time. All of this will no doubt get the results we are looking for.

Had 200 vs Iowa, who tOSU found out had a good D. Also in a close game.

James Franklin:

I think Franklin is gong to print “take-out” menus for every away game and insert them into his “coaching notebook”

Honestly, I think he was being sarcastic... it was a fluke thing but holed up in the locker room/ press room for 3:20 is not good. Those facilities are not some of the best... 2nd quarter stats showed it as Sparty was much better. Saying both had to deal with same conditions is wrong. Sparty definitely had the upper hand during the delay.

Truth is that you need to consult both a sports physiologist and a sports psychologist. It takes 2 hours to fully digest a meal and if not fully digested then you are redirecting blood flow away from the muscles and not getting peak performance. Further, sitting wet for any length of time is going to sap energy and focus. In the off season, I would dedicate resource to this and every other situation. That level of preparation is called being a professional.

Truth is that you need to consult both a sports physiologist and a sports psychologist. It takes 2 hours to fully digest a meal and if not fully digested then you are redirecting blood flow away from the muscles and not getting peak performance. Further, sitting wet for any length of time is going to sap energy and focus. In the off season, I would dedicate resource to this and every other situation. That level of preparation is called being a professional.

No wonder they edged us out.

and don't swim or run with sizers.

perhaps they can pack a few board games? I suggest Parcheesi and Sorry. Game of Life a close third. Twister, maybe? Nah, probably not a good look in the post JS era.

Glad JF didn't use it as an excuse but anyone who doesn't realize that delay cost us dearly has never played sports. MSU had a huge advantage being home during that delay. It took the home field advantage and multiplied it significantly. Can't explain it unless you have been through it at any level. It's so hard being in those uncomfortable surroundings. No matter what you do or try it just doesn't work.

All that said we were in position to win and didn't. But to suggest the delay was not a significant factor is misguided.

Reactions: HazletonLion
Next year Franklin should have a practice the same amount of time as the MSU game, then simulate the 3 1/2 hour delay. He could have his staff study the effects, they go out and practice full pads for 30- 60 minutes.
I'm assuming they could have juices, nutritional bars ,etc. stored on the away game trucks. I don't know, it was bad luck, if that happened at Beaver Stadium i could see a major, major advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT