ADVERTISEMENT

First pointspread is up: Penn State -8 vs. Indiana

I live and die blue and white but someone needs to explain this to me after hat I've seen this year. How is it -8?

Hmmm ..... fairly big number. I don't see the reason for this, honestly

My first reaction was that I'd gladly take Indiana and the 8 points. They are without their starting QB and what was the RB who led the nation in rushing. I think they stayed close to tOSU after these guys went down due to moxie (for lack of a better word). I'm not saying that Indiana doesn't have what it takes to come into Happy Valley and beat this Penn State team, just that this is likely what is behind the number of points given to Indiana.

With the exception of MSU and OSU this team can win any game remaining on its schedule. The defense will keep games close and if Barkley can remain healthy the offense can improve. Conversely, given the schizophrenic nature of this year's team to date, they could very well lose to anyone and everyone remaining on the schedule.
Much to the chagrin of the blubbering masses, Franklin will continue to make decisions that he thinks are the best for the FB program in the LONG RUN. I know it is very difficult for some to believe that the current staff actually knows more football than the fantasy experts here.
I just read a post where an indvidual talks about grading our players performance. I can't stop laughing. We would all be able to relax if we just accept the fact that Hack will be our QB and he is not going to be converted into a zone read option qb. Donovan is not being fired during the season. Finally, James Franklin truly looks at this as his destination job, and he has not had the opportunity to put the players he has recruited on the field. In short, get a grip.

With the exception of MSU and OSU this team can win any game remaining on its schedule. The defense will keep games close and if Barkley can remain healthy the offense can improve. Conversely, given the schizophrenic nature of this year's team to date, they could very well lose to anyone and everyone remaining on the schedule.
Much to the chagrin of the blubbering masses, Franklin will continue to make decisions that he thinks are the best for the FB program in the LONG RUN. I know it is very difficult for some to believe that the current staff actually knows more football than the fantasy experts here.
I just read a post where an indvidual talks about grading our players performance. I can't stop laughing. We would all be able to relax if we just accept the fact that Hack will be our QB and he is not going to be converted into a zone read option qb. Donovan is not being fired during the season. Finally, James Franklin truly looks at this as his destination job, and he has not had the opportunity to put the players he has recruited on the field. In short, get a grip.
My predictions before the season was two probable wins two probable losses and the rest could go either way.

That is absurd

Of course, there are no mandated "injury reports" like there are in the NFL.
So....when setting a spread, the books have to "guess" just a bit.

They have to guess at whether or not Sudfeld or that nice TB will be playing for IU.
Judging from that spread, I would have to figure that the guys setting the lines figure they will both be out.

With Sudfeld and the TB.......I would honestly have to put IU at AT LEAST a "pick" (meaning slight favorite on a neutral field)
We also don't know about Allen (though I would be VERY surprised if he is back anytime soon) Bell, Barkley, Lynch (another who I would be very surprised to see anytime soon), Mangiro, and Nelson (ditto Allen and Lynch on expectations)

These situations have to be a real pain in the ass for the book makers.

Now.....from what I saw.....I would be very surprised if the Indiana TB didn't at least give it a go on Saturday (may not be real effective though), and I would expect Sudfeld to play (he's not really a mobile QB, if he is even close you can brace that ankle up and set him up back in the shotgun).

If PSU gets Barkley and Bell back (and would be real nice if Allen makes it as well).....and IU has to go with Diamonte (sp)........PSU as a slight favorite seems reasonable (still not sure of any way I would go to 8 pts.......I will be VERY surprised if that line doesn't move A LOT this week)

All that said......IU isn't "all that"...despite the game they played against OSU.

Southern Illinois went for 2 (didn't get it) or they beat IU in a game that ends at a 48-47 final
Florida International and Western Kentucky....a couple of solid minor conference schools, took IU to the final minute before losing in Bloomington.
IU's "big" win was a 7 point victory in Winston-Salem.

BTW:

Texas ONLY a 2 TD underdog to Oklahoma. There certainly is history in this matchup of the "crappy" team jumping up and playing their game of the year.
If UT does get mercy ruled AGAIN.....holy cow.

Combination of folks expecting OSU to bounce back....and - apparently - some folks actually watched "The Fighting Edsalls" play this week. Honestly, if Michigan played as poor a game against PSU, we might have beaten them - and Michigan ended up pulling away late to beat UMd 28-0.....that is how BAD UMd was. OSU is a 32 point favorite. I can't imagine we will see another in-conference matchup of any P5 teams with a larger spread all year.

Michigan-Northwestern. Haven't seen any over/under numbers yet......but would 10 points be too high? The TCU-Baylor matchup......B1G style.

Last edited:
If Indiana plays PSU the way it did tOSU, they could conceivably win outright. Adopting that line of reasoning, eight points seems like a lot for PSU to give. But Indiana has crapped the bed so often that it is not hard to see them doing it again, in which event giving eight to bet PSU does not seem so hard. Bottom line, this is a really tough game to handicap.

For an easier bet, take Utah and give the points. I think the line on the Utah -Cal game is something like 10 points right now, but ESPN Gameday is going to SLC, which is the kiss of death for Cal. The Bears always crap the bed in high profile games.

I just think IU left it all on the field this weekend. I can't see them playing as well this week. I'll take PSU to beat the spread.

I have a feeling that Indiana betters will eat that line up till the final line will be less than three.

I think this game can go either way. If PSU gets an early lead it could be an easy win, however if IU gets the lead or makes it close going into the fourth quarter PSU could be in trouble.

Indiana may have "shot it's load" against Ohio State. Look what happened to Ole Miss, last week. They were the better team and Florida beat the crap out of them.

I expect a LOW scoring affair.

Indiana 12
Penn State 13

Indiana may have "shot it's load" against Ohio State. Look what happened to Ole Miss, last week. They were the better team and Florida beat the crap out of them.

I expect a LOW scoring affair.

Indiana 12
Penn State 13
Take PSU and give the points. :D

Well, two factors. One: how well the D plays, I think they will have a huge game. Two: will Barkley play, without him CLEARLY our offense is not very good. He is so good he actually makes this OL look ???

My prediction is the team that scores the most points will win :)

Well, two factors. One: how well the D plays, I think they will have a huge game. Two: will Barkley play, without him CLEARLY our offense is not very good. He is so good he actually makes this OL look ???

My prediction is the team that scores the most points will win :)
He is so good he actually makes this OL look ??? - "pretty good"

PSU hasn't come close to beating a good team yet this year, and Indiana is a good team.

On the other hand, in the B1G, where you play and when you play often matters more than the teams themselves.

Week after a super physical team like Ohio State is tough, plus I don't think Indiana plays well away from home.

On the other other hand, if Barkley isn't able to play, PSU doesn't have a running game or a viable passing game. If you can't get first downs you won't win many games.

I don't think it's fair to expect the defense to win three games in a row. At some point the offense has got to win one.

Vegas knows how to make $$$$....everyone is taking Indy with the points....PSU is gonna pound them and Vegas cleans up. Seriously, 8 pts! There is a method to their madness...I would be all over this 8 pt thing...and I suck at gambling....I'M tellin ya...PSU is gonna bitch slap the Hoosiers...

Wow that's a large spread. In my mind it's quite simple...if Barkley plays we win . If not it's a crap shoot

Vegas knows how to make $$$$....everyone is taking Indy with the points....PSU is gonna pound them and Vegas cleans up. Seriously, 8 pts! There is a method to their madness...I would be all over this 8 pt thing...and I suck at gambling....I'M tellin ya...PSU is gonna bitch slap the Hoosiers...
bk: I seriously hope you're right, and considering that this is Indiana (Indiana!), you would think so. But how the hell did they hang with tOSU to the very end? They came into the tOSU game undefeated, too. They likely played some crappy OOC teams, but what's the last time Indiana started B1G play undefeated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT