ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Franklin, Hire Malzahn

In 9 seasons at Arkansas St and Auburn Malrzahn won 67% of his games and was 2-5 in bowl games.
in 10 seasons at Vanderbilt and Penn State, Franklin has won 66% of his games and is 5-4 in bowl games.
Which coach is elite?

Neither.....

Sooooooo no coach should be judged on their career progression? Overall win average and that’s it??? No nuance whatsoever?

Your wife sleeps with 10 dudes through high school and college, then married you and locked it down. she a huer???

Your kid gets straight D’s early as a freshman but kicks it into gear their jr and sr year, they’re a lost cause idiot?

You mess up some projects at work your first 6 months but you learn the job and end up being the go-to guy by year 2, that mean you are a lost cause and should be fired?

You take over a program in the middle of sanctions and go 14-12 your first 2 seasons, but make it through the sanctions to go 45-16 over the last 5 seasons that means he’s not a good coach?

We agree in 2016 he did great. And 2015 he held things together.
Answer me this
Did he over our under achive with the talent in
2017-under
2018-under
2019-under
2020-covid, sure, but no reason to be under 500
Don't let the gloss of 2016 fool you and they couldn't even close the deal against USC

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
Gus is the most under rated coach in the country. He is an Elite level coach.
I gave you a like for troll quality alone.

You also didn’t overplay your Hand by mentioning that Gus hired Chef Herb Hand following his departure from PSU.

Well done 👍

stop drinking the bong water. If he can’t catch Bama with Auburns win at any cost mentality, there is absolutely no way he’d help Penn State catch tOSU.

In 9 seasons at Arkansas St and Auburn Malrzahn won 67% of his games and was 2-5 in bowl games.
in 10 seasons at Vanderbilt and Penn State, Franklin has won 66% of his games and is 5-4 in bowl games.
Which coach is elite?

Cute comparing the SEC east with the west, look at just Gus's record in SEC games against James and forgot how much easier it is in the East and forget the NC games he coached his teams to while James' crowning achievement was the Music City bowl win when be was in the SEC

You're telling me. I go to the Panther Lair for sanity.
Simple question, do you feel Franklin is a better coach than Gus, and if yes, what lead you to that conclusion? Not trying to pick ck any fights I'm genuinely curious because your a good poster on this board and respect your opinion.

giphy.gif

There are probably only two coaches in college football worth paying Franklin's buyout for; Malzahn isn't one of them.
There had to be off setting language in his contract?

Could you please forward your present location to the proper authorities? I believe the people from the asylum are trying to contact you.
Legit question, all kidding aside do you feel Franklin is a better coach than Gus and if so what accompaniments lead to that conclusion?

Legit question, all kidding aside do you feel Franklin is a better coach than Gus and if so what accompaniments lead to that conclusion?
You’re asking ME for a sound rational conclusion? Who do think the people from the asylum stopped chasing so they throw a butterfly net over you?

Reactions: PSUSignore
Please take your bullshit somewhere else!
It is not bullshit.

GM may be a coach inferior to Franklin in some respects, but he has an elite offensive mind, proven over a long period.

He is not a selective recruiter or much of a disciplinarian. He recruits lots of recruits and then it is a turnstile because of grades and other issues.

However, his offense scores points and generally mauls the other guy with the run game.

He would be a great consultant if Franklin would let him offer some insight to the workings of an efficient offense, not this pee wee level offense we have with the 3 second mesh point and the endless ridiculous play calling.

Personally, I think Franklin has his hand in the offense way more that he should, so maybe GM's observations would go unheard.

But, it is not bullshit to think that he is a much better offensive mind than any coach currently on the staff.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
If PSU were looking for a coach, yes. Gus should be checked out and probably interviewed. There is only one guy Franklin should be called in, handed a cardboard box and told “Get your $hit outta here, you have 30 minutes”...and he just turned down Texas $$.

Elite coaches like this do not come available often.

Don't get caught in the trap of "records", they can be inflated playing bad OOC teams, or even downgraded a bit because of not fault of a team'S own but by just having to play (LSU, Alabama, Texas AM, in the west) and at least a cross over game again UGA or UF each year. Coaching in the SEC West is no joke. Franklin would be lost in that division.

The GOAL is to make the CFP Playoffs (not 9 or 10 wins) and he took his team to the title game once and they lost in the de facto "playoff play in game" against UGA 2 years back, so he has hit MUCH "Higher Highs" than Franklin.

Also dont forgot he was 90% of the brains behind their NC back when Newton was the QB, as Gene c. proved the following 2 years he was a clueless joke. Gus ran the show that year, any Auburn fan will tell you that. So put that feather in Gus's cap.

Just for sh*ts and giggles he coached 1 year at Central Arkansas , went 7-1 in their conference, WON the conference, and their bowl game. He has proven he can coach at any level, even High School if you look back he had a dominate program.

Just to put a cherry on this, Please name me how many active college heads BEAT Nick Saban's Alabama teams 3 (T-H-R-E-E) times. ??

3-Gus Malzahn, Les Miles 2-Hugh Freeze, Dabo Swinney 1-Mack Brown, David Cutcliffe, Kirk Ferentz, Ed Orgeron, Kevin Sumlin, Kyle Whittingham

Tell me after coaching in the SEC West, with the success he had, he could not go head to head with Day at OSU ?

Good coach, but wrapped waaaay too tight. Makes recruits and parents leave their phones in his office when he takes them outside to see practice......... SEC serious. I’ll pass.

Cute comparing the SEC east with the west, look at just Gus's record in SEC games against James and forgot how much easier it is in the East and forget the NC games he coached his teams to while James' crowning achievement was the Music City bowl win when be was in the SEC

Cute ignoring one of them coached at Auburn and the other at Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT. A school no one has been successful at since.... well... ever. If you can’t figure that out you must not be very bright.

Last edited:
Simple question, do you feel Franklin is a better coach than Gus, and if yes, what lead you to that conclusion? Not trying to pick ck any fights I'm genuinely curious because your a good poster on this board and respect your opinion.
A coach is an educator. Winning is important, but not nearly the most important criteria for me. A coach must win enough to have credibility and then use that as currency to influence his players in a manner that enriches their lives (near and long term). The biggest mistake fans make is comparing the coach of their team to someone they only have a limited exposure to. I know a little about how Auburn operates, having a close personal friend coach there for many years.
I am satisfied that James Franklin is a good person, an excellent role model and a dynamic leader of the program. He exemplifies all the qualities that drew me and kept me a PSU Football Fan during Joe's long tenure. He has demonstrated that he can win 11 games, an occasional Big Ten Title and finish in the top 10. I detest the whining about wanting to be "elite"..... everyone likes to win, but if PSU ever climbs the mountain again, I want to know that it was accomplished without sacrificing what I consider to be the foundation of this program (Success with Honor).
Your post, IMO, is counterproductive , in this sense. James IS the PSU coach....and will be if he wishes for next year and likely a few years after that. The only way PSU is in the market for a HFC is if he decides to take another job or steps down for personal reasons. I understand reality and don't fall for the hype. PSU IMO, is likely to struggle for the next 2 years. Fans that can't deal with adversity and want to think that all you need to do is change coaches are mistaken and delusional.

Cute ignoring one of them coached at Auburn and the other at Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT. A school no one has been successful at since.... well... ever. If you can’t figure that out you must not be very bright.
This was exactly my thought in reading his post comparing the 2 records in the SEC....Vanderbilt is a school who never made a bowl game prior to CJF arrival and hasn't made one since he left. Yet somehow during CJF tenure they managed a bowl every year if I'm not mistaking, so that is pretty impressive in my book.

Is your measuring sticks NCs, playoffs, or conference championships or records in non playoff bowl games?
How many of those does he have? He lucked into one in his first year. Then after that nothing more than mediocre. Franklin actually has more too 10 seasons then him.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
Umm, he has AVERAGED 5 losses a year for 8 years, playing in a division that's no harder than the B1G East. You're ready to fire Franklin after 5 losses in this super-weird covid season?

Sure if Franklin is exhausted and steps down, Malzahn would be worth a look but he'd be one of many names worth a look.

Don't get caught in the trap of "records", they can be inflated playing bad OOC teams, or even downgraded a bit because of not fault of a team'S own but by just having to play (LSU, Alabama, Texas AM, in the west) and at least a cross over game again UGA or UF each year. Coaching in the SEC West is no joke. Franklin would be lost in that division.

The GOAL is to make the CFP Playoffs (not 9 or 10 wins) and he took his team to the title game once and they lost in the de facto "playoff play in game" against UGA 2 years back, so he has hit MUCH "Higher Highs" than Franklin.

Also dont forgot he was 90% of the brains behind their NC back when Newton was the QB, as Gene c. proved the following 2 years he was a clueless joke. Gus ran the show that year, any Auburn fan will tell you that. So put that feather in Gus's cap.

Just for sh*ts and giggles he coached 1 year at Central Arkansas , went 7-1 in their conference, WON the conference, and their bowl game. He has proven he can coach at any level, even High School if you look back he had a dominate program.

Just to put a cherry on this, Please name me how many active college heads BEAT Nick Saban's Alabama teams 3 (T-H-R-E-E) times. ??

3-Gus Malzahn, Les Miles 2-Hugh Freeze, Dabo Swinney 1-Mack Brown, David Cutcliffe, Kirk Ferentz, Ed Orgeron, Kevin Sumlin, Kyle Whittingham

Tell me after coaching in the SEC West, with the success he had, he could not go head to head with Day at OSU ?
Then why did he get fired?

>>Don't get caught in the trap of "records", they can be inflated playing bad OOC teams<<
Exactly so how is it that Gus is still so bad? I mean Tulane, Samford, The Citadel? they are the epitome of OOC cupcakes...
Oh and last year's Outback bowl says hi.

Oh boy!

An elite offensive mind?

I decided to take a look since I admit I don’t care to watch Auburn much.

2020 - ranked 83 with 25.7. But he’s gotta be better than Franklin and PSU right. PSU ranked 77 despite a new OC, OLine coach, WR coach, and a pandemic with no practice

but...that’s gotta be an outlier. I hear he’s elite...

2019 - ranked 36 with 31.7. So definitely better than PSU right. Well I was wrong again, PSU ranked 31 with 32.2

So gotta be 2018 right?

2018 - Auburn ranked 61 at 28.2. I kept looking below 61 to find PSU but couldn’t find them. Then I scrolled higher and found that at 23 with 33.8 points per game.

My guess is 2017 is when this elite offensive mind shows through.

2017 - Auburn ranks 18 with 34.6 points per game. There it is! Probably blowing Franklin and PSU out of the water here. Wait...PSU was 6th that year at 41.1??

I give up. If Malzan is elite Franklin must be a pre-eminent offensive mind!

We should go after the genius when he gets fired at Mississippi State.

Franklin only leaves on his terms. He raped PSU in contract negotiations. His payout is too big and he gets over $6 million this year in salary plus extras.

Franklins compensation is ridiculous-

1 B1G title in 7 years, as many conference titles as losing records

1 tOSU win in 7 years. Gus has beaten Saban 3 times in 10 coaching Bama’s kid brother.

Franklin has 11 win seasons built on wins over nobody’s. Something like 18 teams won 11 games in 2019. Franklin has a poor losing record against ranked teams.

I wish that USC, Texas, or Arizona would throw cash at Franklin and take him. I doubt they will. I would like to be proven wrong on that.

Reactions: Beaver-Stadium
Franklin only leaves on his terms. He raped PSU in contract negotiations. His payout is too big and he gets over $6 million this year in salary plus extras.

Franklins compensation is ridiculous-

1 B1G title in 7 years, as many conference titles as losing records

1 tOSU win in 7 years. Gus has beaten Saban 3 times in 10 coaching Bama’s kid brother.

Franklin has 11 win seasons built on wins over nobody’s. Something like 18 teams won 11 games in 2019. Franklin has a poor losing record against ranked teams.

I wish that USC, Texas, or Arizona would throw cash at Franklin and take him. I doubt they will. I would like to be proven wrong on that.
It's not PC to say these days, but you're a retard.

Wow. I often roll my eyes at some of the coaching opinions here but this one really takes the cake. You have got to be kidding me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT