ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Yurcich's Rose Bowl Gameplan

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

See link and we appreciate the support all season. This game was vintage Yurcich, with early conservative concepts setting up explosive chunk plays later in the night. And he did against the best defense in the Pac-12, and without his best pass-catcher and behind an offensive line down 3 starters from week 1 (to me, this narrative has been sorely overlooked probably because of the pillow-fight final 4 games of the season.) Diaz was one of the best off-season hires from last year, but Yurcich took a big step forward this season, as well. Really feel the offense takes it to another level next season with a QB willing to challenge teams vertically.

ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

See link and we appreciate the support all season. This game was vintage Yurcich, with early conservative concepts setting up explosive chunk plays later in the night. And he did against the best defense in the Pac-12, and without his best pass-catcher and behind an offensive line down 3 starters from week 1 (to me, this narrative has been sorely overlooked probably because of the pillow-fight final 4 games of the season.) Diaz was one of the best off-season hires from last year, but Yurcich took a big step forward this season, as well. Really feel the offense takes it to another level next season with a QB willing to challenge teams vertically.
Thanks, great analysis. Agreed on much including the overlooked fact that we played down 3 OL starters.

Athough the pillow fight wasn't so for some teams. Yes, PSU absolutely blew them out. But....

Maryland ended their season beating a ranked team and nearly beat Ohio St.

Michigan St beat Wisconsin.

Indiana beat Illinois.

Rutgres was really bad.

Just saying that the ease PSU handled these guys wasn't shared by all teams.

And the reason we ended with 4 weaker big 10 teams is that just before that we played 2 of the top 4 teams in the nation with 9-4 Minnesota in-between. It was the toughest 3 game stretch any team in the entire nation faced this season. Who knows, maybe if we have Maryland and Rutgres the 2 weeks before Ohio St, we don't fade in the second half of the 4th quarter? The schedule makers made sure that we'd be a little beat up and worn down before Ohio St.

Last edited:
I've been critical of JF being a less-than-great Xs & Os football coach during his tenure here. I've criticized the obvious problems with situational decision making and clock management and, objectively, PSU has struggled against too many teams with lesser talent, really struggled against teams with similar talent, and has rarely performed well or beaten teams with more talent. In short, the PSU coaching staff hasn't moved the needle to enable the PSU players.

So, reviewing the 2022 season and Rose Bowl.....
During this season, I cannot point to any gross errors in game management. That is obviously good. Is JF improving after all this time, or is that a credit to Mike Yurcich?
Given historicals, I wasn't totally sold on the gameplan/coaching given performance against Purdue/NW/scUM/tOSU.
That all said, I have to give credit to the staff for the Rose Bowl. The team came prepared and played very well. The game plan put players in a position to succeed. IMHO, the Rose Bowl was reminiscent of what this fan base was used to under JVP - that is, a team being well coached and maximizing the available talent. It was great to see and far different from what we saw in the past.

The obvious question, given the tenure of JF are:
Is JF improved, or is 2022 and the Rose Bowl a credit to the Coordinators, and when MY/MD depart, we cannot expect this to continue. Is JF a CEO/Figure Head or a football coach? (and I don't say that with malice. It's an honest question. I like JF. I think he is a good man and has done everything in his job really really well, except the actual coaching of FB).
Looking forward to 2023 - I wish Allar would have gotten some meaningful reps this year, especially once PSU's was all but guaranteed 3rd in the B1G East, but so be it. I have no idea how WVU is projected for next year, but let's hope the staff can carry over the Rose Bowl performance into being well prepared for Week 1 next year.

I've been critical of JF being a less-than-great Xs & Os football coach during his tenure here. I've criticized the obvious problems with situational decision making and clock management and, objectively, PSU has struggled against too many teams with lesser talent, really struggled against teams with similar talent, and has rarely performed well or beaten teams with more talent. In short, the PSU coaching staff hasn't moved the needle to enable the PSU players.

During this season, I cannot point to any gross errors in game management. That is obviously good. Is JF improving after all this time, or is that a credit to Mike Yurcich?
Given historicals, I wasn't totally sold on the gameplan/coaching given performance against Purdue/NW/scUM/tOSU.
That all said, I have to give credit to the staff for the Rose Bowl. The team came prepared and played very well. The game plan put players in a position to succeed. IMHO, the Rose Bowl was reminiscent of what this fan base was used to under JVP - that is, a team being well coached and maximizing the available talent. It was great to see and far different from what we saw in the past.

Is JF improved, or is 2022 and the Rose Bowl a credit to the Coordinators, and when MY/MD depart, we cannot expect this to continue. Is JF a CEO/Figure Head or a football coach? (and I don't say that with malice. It's an honest question. I like JF. I think he is a good man and has done everything in his job really really well, except the actual coaching of FB).
Looking forward to 2023 - I wish Allar would have gotten some meaningful reps this year, especially once PSU's was all but guaranteed 3rd in the B1G East, but so be it. I have no idea how WVU is projected for next year, but let's hope the staff can carry over the Rose Bowl performance into being well prepared for Week 1 next year.
Franklin's teams have mostly performed in line or slightly above team talent composite. We had a couple of years below coinciding with the covid on and off again debacle. Other than that he has mostly finished a step or 2 ahead of what the team talent said that we should.

ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

Great. I really liked the explanation of the 'look at me" play. Really fun.

I agree the OC had a great game plan. at halftime, it felt like PSU was the better team and the Utah fans around me felt lucky to be tied. And too bad that their starting QB got hurt but that didn't give up two long TDs. And those two long TDs broke the game open.

I also have to say that PSU played a very complex offense with a lot of sets, motions and versatility. SC was really genius in calling audibles and orchestrating a complex plan. PSU's offense performed with very few mistakes all day. That has to go to having a sixth-year QB under center. I've been very critical of SC at times all year but he was just genius for this game.

I hope Allar learned a lot this year. I am told that the kid is really smart and will be fine next year.

Lastly, you can see the influx of TEs starting to take ahold. PSU has two good TEs in this recruiting class and you can see how PSU is game planning for TEs to be all over the field (backfield, diamond, slot, wide out, and traditional TE position). You can do a LOT with a 6-4, 245lb guy who runs a 4.6 forty.

On the D, you are starting to see a lot of teams build up these 6-1 215 lb hybrid players who play S or OLB who can cover. The game continues to evolve.

Good points, all. But can we focus on a major problem for Franklin, which only arose with the Rose Bowl. I'm talking about, of course, the hat. What was the deal with that hat? It seemed to be gigantic, with a huge "S" - and he didn't work the brim in...it was totally flat, like a teenage skateboarder. Is he trying to look like an X-Games guy? Inexcusable.

We’ve been a top 10 team with 11 wins in 4 of the past 7 years. Not sure why you think this year is the outlier and not the last two.

Looking forward to 2023 - I wish Allar would have gotten some meaningful reps this year, especially once PSU's was all but guaranteed 3rd in the B1G East, but so be it. I have no idea how WVU is projected for next year, but let's hope the staff can carry over the Rose Bowl performance into being well prepared for Week 1 next year
Allar could have gotten meaningful reps three out of the first four games and five of the last six. I will never understand how coaches expect the backup to perform if called upon without meaningful reps. Same with Gardner Minshew this year, he is a starting quarterback in the NFL but without meaningful reps during the season how was he expected to perform at a high level when Hurts was injured?

Reactions: Elwood Blues
I feel the same way. I have often refered to coach Franklin as a "cheerleader" in the past. I liked what I saw this year. I loved the way MY and MD answered the call. Credit to coach Franklin for bringing in those two excellent coordinators!!! Also, if i criticize coach Franklin I will also give him praise.... The guy can can just RECRUIT out of this world!!!!

Similar to some of the other film breakdowns, this appears to be overly critical of Clifford. Even the post takes a swipe at him.

In one clip, he gets criticized for making the wrong read on a handoff. To be honest, I think the only real reading he was doing in this game was to either hand it off or pull it and throw it. I can't remember one time that he pulled the ball, kept it himself and ran it. His only runs were designed keepers.

Even on one of his TD passes, they need to comment that he probably made the wrong read.

Allar could have gotten meaningful reps three out of the first four games and five of the last six. I will never understand how coaches expect the backup to perform if called upon without meaningful reps. Same with Gardner Minshew this year, he is a starting quarterback in the NFL but without meaningful reps during the season how was he expected to perform at a high level when Hurts was injured?
Because comebacks happen every week across the country. And if we lose after putting in the backups you’d call for his head.

Franklin sprinkles in backups non-stop at every other position. Actually way more than I’d prefer. But no coach will put in the backup QB for reps unless they’re up by 3 scores or it’s super late in game.

I feel the same way. I have often refered to coach Franklin as a "cheerleader" in the past. I liked what I saw this year. I loved the way MY and MD answered the call. Credit to coach Franklin for bringing in those two excellent coordinators!!! Also, if i criticize coach Franklin I will also give him praise.... The guy can can just RECRUIT out of this world!!!!
LOL...feel the same way....but having watched Willingham, I am not sure he did anything but stare and scratch his head all day!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Because comebacks happen every week across the country. And if we lose after putting in the backups you’d call for his head.

Franklin sprinkles in backups non-stop at every other position. Actually way more than I’d prefer. But no coach will put in the backup QB for reps unless they’re up by 3 scores or it’s super late in game.
Ok I wasn't calling for the backups being put in. I was calling for Allar being put in with the first string for some meaningful reps. and, I see 8 games won by 19 points or more where he could have played a bit.
W 35-31 4
W 46-10 36
W 41-12 29
W 33-14 19
W-17-7 10
L 17-41 *
W 45-17 28
L 31-44 *
W 45-14 31
W 30-0 30
W 55-10 45
W 35-16 19
W 35-21 14

4 top 10 finishes in 7 years. 3 in Joe's last 15 years.

Reactions: Online Persona
Ok I wasn't calling for the backups being put in. I was calling for Allar being put in with the first string for some meaningful reps. and, I see 8 games won by 19 points or more where he could have played a bit.
W 35-31 4
W 46-10 36
W 41-12 29
W 33-14 19
W-17-7 10
L 17-41 *
W 45-17 28
L 31-44 *
W 45-14 31
W 30-0 30
W 55-10 45
W 35-16 19
W 35-21 14
he played in a crucial series at purdue, 10 passes at UM, 12 at IU, 10 @ Rutgres.
Threw 60 passes on teh year and appeared in 10 games. you guys act like he never got in

We’ve been a top 10 team with 11 wins in 4 of the past 7 years. Not sure why you think this year is the outlier and not the last two.
Well, this is the first season I recall without bad in-game management, and if you don't think the preparation and game plan of this years rose bowl was different than pretty much all others under JF, I'm not sure what else to say.

4 top 10 finishes in 7 years. 3 in Joe's last 15 years.I
If we're looking at Franklin's first seven years why not Paterno's?
5 top ten in Paterno's first 7 years.
7 top ten finishes in his first 10 years.
11 top ten in 15 years
14 top ten in 20 years
2 national championships in 20 years, could have been 3 more in 1968, 1969 & 1973 if it wasn't for eastern football bias.

Reactions: Girdles and RandyL
4 top 10 finishes in 7 years. 3 in Joe's last 15 years.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: JVP's issues in the year's after George's death have been well documented. I was fully in the camp that thought it was time for him to retire in the dark years (01-04). He was not the same guy in the 2000s. I believed PSU was a sleeping giant, waiting for his departure.
That doesn't change the point though. While Joe was phoning in recruiting and had some other challenges in this century, you couldn't look at a team he coached and say he was getting less the team was capable of, or that he was outcoached. Even in 04, the last of the dark years, he sat at a presser and said that PSU was a couple players away. In comes Derrick Williams, Justin King, and MRob at QB and PSU is #3 and was a 2point loss in AnnArbor away from being undefeated. JVP was correct and could still coach football.

Yup. If we accept that PSU coaching has ebbed and flowed based on the assistants, my question then is, why Nick Saban, who probably has more turnover, doesn't seem to have those same ebbs and flows.

If we're looking at Franklin's first seven years why not Paterno's?
5 top ten in Paterno's first 7 years.
7 top ten finishes in his first 10 years.
11 top ten in 15 years
14 top ten in 20 years
2 national championships in 20 years, could have been 3 more in 1968, 1969 & 1973 if it wasn't for eastern football bias.
1. Because that is a huge discontinuity. The periods are separated by how many decades? No one is making the case JF > Paterno, that's absurd.

2. You are describing a different era of football altogether. Why not compare to Rip Engle or George Hoskins while your at it?

Reactions: bison13
Disagree with a few things here. At least compared with the Paterno regime, which sometimes wanted to make a game against Rutgers or Army into some kind of 60 minute morality play, Franklin, if he has the goods, will try to end games early. No need to artificially inject adversity into games against 3rd tier teams. And in the B1G that's of value because fatigue is such a big factor as the season goes on.

I dunno if you can blame Franklin for not being an offensive Xs and Os genius because that isn't really what most head coaches do -- they have offensive coordinators. In retrospect the choice of Ricky Rahne to replace Moorhead was a big mistake; Gattis would have been a better choice. But that's with the benefit of hindsight.

Franklin looks like a pretty good Xs and Os coach this week but that's because Yurcich is designing and calling plays, and Trautwein has trained up an OL that can be effective even when they lose starters.

Penn State is in a good place and they play fun, exciting football so we're lucky to be PSU fans. But people should probably keep expectations in check about next year. PSU is still quite a distance from Ohio State and Michigan at the line of scrimmage and that gap isn't going to magically disappear in 2023.

Reactions: mnuccio2
I watch a ton of football and no coach plays their backup QB until the game is well in hand. Every new starting QB comes in untested, yet the good ones manage. The first job of any coach is to “win the one you’re in”.

ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

The problem was that we were not competitive against Michigan and Ohio State blew us out and Utah lost their starting QB fairly early in the game. Diaz was very good, not great this season and Yurcich has much to prove.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
The problem was that we were not competitive against Michigan and Ohio State blew us out and Utah lost their starting QB fairly early in the game. Diaz was very good, not great this season and Yurcich has much to prove.
Define fairly early assclown, Rising didn't get hurt until almost halfway through the 3rd quarter. Go crawl back into your hole ya douche

Hmm, yet Clifford went out against Iowa but according to you that didn’t matter. But when it happens to a team playing us, it matters…funny how that works. And Clifford went out in the first quarter….that seems pretty early in the game, maybe even earlier than the third quarter.

Yup. If we accept that PSU coaching has ebbed and flowed based on the assistants, my question then is, why Nick Saban, who probably has more turnover, doesn't seem to have those same ebbs and flows.
Because (1) your premise is nonsense and nobody accepted it and (2) college football is about jimmys and Joe’s, not Xs and Os.

In the past 7 years Franklin had top 10 finishes with 3 different OCs and 2 different DCs. But, yeah, cheerleader.

Because (1) your premise is nonsense and nobody accepted it and (2) college football is about jimmys and Joe’s, not Xs and Os.

In the past 7 years Franklin had top 10 finishes with 3 different OCs and 2 different DCs. But, yeah, cheerleader.
Actually, the college game is as much about the Xs and Os than the Jimmy and the Joes if not more so. We are in the spread era. Thankfully we had Joe Moorhead who is one of the top two offensive minds in college football. Yurcich? Not so much. If we played a typical Big Ten schedule, we lose 4 to 5 games, but, we played the weakest in history.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Actually, the college game is as much about the Xs and Os than the Jimmy and the Joes if not more so. We are in the spread era. Thankfully we had Joe Moorhead who is one of the top two offensive minds in college football. Yurcich? Not so much. If we played a typical Big Ten schedule, we lose 4 to 5 games, but, we played the weakest in history.
You’re probably right but just in case… How’d JoeMo do at MSU? How’s he doing at Akron?

Yea not sure why everyone keeps poo pooing the win because rising got hurt. Not our fault they ran Joe Dirt out there and he thought he was going to play like cam newton.

Why does Utah get a pass for Rising leaving late 3rd quarter, but we get pissed on for Clifford leaving Iowa early 2nd?
Very difference actually, not that you care. Rising didn't leave late in the third, he left early in the third when we were tied and being played to a stand still. Clifford got hurt when Iowa had figured out the offense and was outplaying us in every way. See, facts matter. Oh, and Clifford's got hurt late in the 2nd.

You’re probably right but just in case… How’d JoeMo do at MSU? How’s he doing at Akron?

You are comparing apples with oranges. JoeMo was exclusively an offense coordinator at PSU. At MSU and Akron, JoeMo had head coaching responsibilities. So, the comparison is not really a like for like one.

ROSE BOWL FILM STUDY

Nice.

I do wonder how much freedom to wing it all over the field the staff will give Allar in his first year.

Another unknown is Allar's ability to buy time in the pocket, avoid the rush, and make decent decisions on when to pull it down and run for positive yardage.

I'm ready right now to find out, and it will be a long off season of anticipation.......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT