ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

I did Mining Engineering with a Mineral Processing emphasis and finished in '79. I did fused abrasives and ceramic proppants for a few years and then moved into stamped metal products for the last thirty.

Never finished the MBA thing cause I liked the engineering work and didn't want to cross over to the dark side.

Huh...
my dad was a Mineral Processing professor back in 1979

Huh...
my dad was a Mineral Processing professor back in 1979

Cool.
What I remember most was a lab when we were processing for silver and the damn sharpest guy in the class decided to see if cyanide actually smelled like almonds. He opened the fume hood and stuck his head right in. It took about two minutes but he went down and then off to the health center.
My sister ended up getting her Phd in Min Proc after a BS/MS in Chem all at PSU.

1. Slippery Rock - OSHA Management (no degree)
2. RACC - Computer Science (AA Degree)
3. Penn State Berks - Business Management (no degree)
4. Albright - Criminal Justice (BS Degree)
5. Villanova - Paralegal Studies (no degree)
6. Kutztown - MBA (no degree)

That's my history. I've been all over. It took me a long time before I found my calling. I've been in Corrections for 6 years now and I'm quite happy.

But that was like the rule back then. Poli Sci especially, English or History for law school aspirants. Was it the same in the Pitts area?
Most of my law school classmates were political science or pre-law. Still, I didn't major in Poli Sci as an entre to law school. I did it because I envisioned a future in politics. Back in those days I thought I could change the world. Hell, we all did. Anyway, I think law school student bodies today are more diverse. That's a good thing. In the end though, it doesn't matter. Many people think you go to law school to learn the law. Actually, the reason you go to law school is to learn how to think like a lawyer. Law schools are very good at that and so, regardless of major, all law grads come out pretty much the same.

Kindly leave.

;)

Hey, now...I'm blue and white through and through. Bradford is my home town so that's what I was stuck with when I transferred.

That being said, I wore a Penn State hat just about every day I attended class at Pitt-Bradford until I graduated. And I don't have a single Pitt thing in my house other than my diploma...and well some nice Penn State beatings of Pitt on DVD (48-14 ;))

Most of my law school classmates were political science or pre-law. Still, I didn't major in Poli Sci as an entre to law school. I did it because I envisioned a future in politics. Back in those days I thought I could change the world. Hell, we all did. Anyway, I think law school student bodies today are more diverse. That's a good thing. In the end though, it doesn't matter. Many people think you go to law school to learn the law. Actually, the reason you go to law school is to learn how to think like a lawyer. Law schools are very good at that and so, regardless of major, all law grads come out pretty much the same.

I often think back and wish I would have done what you did. I'm a damn good electrical engineer but I often think I would have been an even better lawyer ...... oh well.

I often think back and wish I would have done what you did. I'm a damn good electrical engineer but I often think I would have been an even better lawyer ...... oh well.
We all have regrets. The older we get, the more we have. That's why I am on this bucket list odyssey. You may regret not going to law school. Knowing what I know now, I have some regrets about going. I am a good lawyer. My peers and clients have told me that. Still, I am less than satisfied with my career. The reasons are many, but if I had a chance to go back and take a different path, there is a good chance I would.

We all have regrets. The older we get, the more we have. That's why I am on this bucket list odyssey. You may regret not going to law school. Knowing what I know now, I have some regrets about going. I am a good lawyer. My peers and clients have told me that. Still, I am less than satisfied with my career. The reasons are many, but if I had a chance to go back and take a different path, there is a good chance I would.
That's the truth. Right out of college I had the perfect job offered to me. I was just too stupid to realize it. I was placing stock in what a certain agency to go un-named told (lied) to me about. Biggest mistake I could have ever made. Had a good career but I often wish I had taken that other path. Oh well, that's all water under the bridge but I will always regret not making the right decision.

It's funny how we can go back and find certain decision points in our lives that have a huge impact going forward. Too bad you don't always recognize it at the time.

Me too brother. I've worked for everyone from Bank of America to Google and I'm sitting on my porch tonight listening to Pink Floyd, drinking a decent Cabernet and wondering why I didn't pursue one of my true passions - music or history.

Subnote... my son's true passion is guitar - the kid already knows more about classic rock than I do....and I am all in.....will be fun to see where he goes with this.

Last edited:
Me too brother. I've worked for everyone from Bank of America to Google and I'm sitting on my porch tonight listening to Pink Floyd, drinking a decent Cabernet and wondering why I didn't pursue one of my true passions - music or history.

Subnote... my son's wtrue passion is guitar - the kid already knows more about classic rock than I do....and I am all in.....will be fun to see where he goes with this.
Classic post, brother.

Reactions: fairgambit
That's the truth. Right out of college I had the perfect job offered to me. I was just too stupid to realize it. I was placing stock in what a certain agency to go un-named told (lied) to me about. Biggest mistake I could have ever made. Had a good career but I often wish I had taken that other path. Oh well, that's all water under the bridge but I will always regret not making the right decision.

It's funny how we can go back and find certain decision points in our lives that have a huge impact going forward. Too bad you don't always recognize it at the time.
And yet, to argue with my original point, we can never be sure that what appears to have been a better choice actually would have been.

Subnote... my son's true passion is guitar - the kid already knows more about classic rock than I do....and I am all in.....will be fun to see where he goes with this.
CF, it's not too late to pursue those music and history passions. You may have to adjust the ultimate goals, but you can still chase the dream.

CF, it's not too late to pursue those music and history passions. You may have to adjust the ultimate goals, but you can still chase the dream.

Yeah, my son keeps asking me to learn how to play bass guitar so we can jam together....he and I went to the Great American Guitar Show in Philly a few weeks ago where we bought a Fender Telecaster to add to his collection....I probably should look to pick up a bass and learn to play.

Yeah, my son keeps asking me to learn how to play bass guitar so we can jam together....he and I went to the Great American Guitar Show in Philly a few weeks ago where we bought a Fender Telecaster to add to his collection....I probably should look to pick up a bass and learn to play.
You will never regret the effort, even if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

That can not be a guess....... You are correct. 1977

Also, MBA from Katz School of Bus. at you know where.....1983
It was no guess. You gave the information in a post about the Hammond Building on July 1st. I vaguely remembered it so I used the search function on this board and it came right up.:)

Reactions: FHSPSU67
"I do a lot of work with unwed mothers"

Steve Martin

"I help them get their start."

Also, "I'm a very important kind of guy. Sammy Davis, Jr....close, personal friend of mine....I've got lots to do tonight.. Hey, what time does TV go off?"

So in most electrical wiring there's a positive, a negative, and a neutral, right? I need to reconfirm that because I'm getting ready to re-wire my house. :D

It is always interesting to see how many site members are affiliated with other schools. It is not just Penn State folks here.

Penn State -- BS, Business Management -- 1966
Harvard -- Business School Executive Program -- 1974

Road to PSU was winding. Buck U. for a few credits. Edinboro for sixty credits. Finance degree from PSU. University of Houston to get credits for a CPA. Cal-Berkeley and CalPoly for fun.

A friend of mine sent me a bass guitar a couple of weeks ago - I came home one night, and there was a 6 foot box on my front doorstep (I thought it might have been the mail order Russian Bride I ordered in 1993, but alas it was not). It was a Fender Squire (low cost bass I believe). (don't ask why he sent it, it's a bit of a long story)

Anyway, took my first lesson last week and going back this upcoming week. I also have been on youtube looking at bass guitar riffs for beginners, and following the tabs.

I strongly suggest doing this, CF. I have been able to pick up a few "famous" riffs for bass (Another One Bites the Dust, Seven Nation Army, etc) fairly quickly. Still have to learn the rest of the songs but working towards it.
I think you will enjoy it.

Tying this back into the theme of this thread - our majors (for the most part) are the first step towards defining who end up being as adults - and in my observations, educated professionals (especially men), tend to let their jobs and professions define who they are. From the perspective of someone who majored in the sciences/engineering, having musical outlet, or writing or painting for (attempts) at creativity are a great balance to that defined role.

Last edited:
I have a friend who got two separate undergrad degrees. We rag on him all the time about it. Lol

It was a business major with a minor in electronics. So in four years, I did enough work to get my associates and bachelors degrees. Together, it was called industrial management.

Its worked great for me. In the emerging age of computers, I understood technology and business. Few did. They knew one or the other, not both. I owe a debt to whomever came up with the idea at my school. In the depths of the Carter depression, I had five job offers.

Last edited:
A friend of mine sent me a bass guitar a couple of weeks ago - I came home one night, and there was a 5 foot box on my front doorstep (I thought it might have been the mail order Russian Bride I ordered in 1993, but alas it was not). It was a Fender Squire (low cost bass I believe). (don't ask why he sent it, it's a bit of a long story)

Anyway, took my first lesson last week and going back this upcoming week. I also have been on youtube looking at bass guitar riffs for beginners, and following the tabs.

I strongly suggest doing this, CF. I have been able to pick up a few "famous" riffs for bass (Another One Bites the Dust, Seven Nation Army, etc) fairly quickly. Still have to learn the rest of the songs but working towards it.

Tying this back into the theme of this thread - our majors (for the most part) are the first step towards defining who end up being as adults - and in my observations, educated professionals (especially men), tend to let their jobs and professions define who they are. From the perspective of someone who majored in the sciences/engineering, having musical outlet, or writing or painting for (attempts) at creativity are a great balance to that defined role.
Good post.

Reactions: LionJim
A friend of mine sent me a bass guitar a couple of weeks ago - I came home one night, and there was a 6 foot box on my front doorstep (I thought it might have been the mail order Russian Bride I ordered in 1993, but alas it was not). It was a Fender Squire (low cost bass I believe). (don't ask why he sent it, it's a bit of a long story)

tumblr_nnyek7dURb1r2yg8po1_500.gif

Reactions: LionJim
Just found out yesterday that Ed Keynes died last year. Don't think he liked my freewheeling attitude much, but his recommendation letter was key in getting me into the law school of my choice.
That's a shame - I'm a Math BS, but had Keynes for my Poli Sci freshman year elective. Interesting posts all - a lot of us in a similar boat.........made the most of a good degree but given the option may have chosen something else. My path was fairly narrow (Actuarial Science) and has made for a rewarding career financially, but I've had those same "what if" thoughts - more so now. Ironically, my daughter is anything but a Math nerd, but is Poli Sci/History in Schreyer....I just love the passion she has for her classes (especially the Govt ones) and is aiming for Law School. The comments here re: law school and a career as an attorney give me some pause as a dad, but she is so passionate about becoming a lawyer it's hard to push back.

Cool.
What I remember most was a lab when we were processing for silver and the damn sharpest guy in the class decided to see if cyanide actually smelled like almonds. He opened the fume hood and stuck his head right in. It took about two minutes but he went down and then off to the health center.
My sister ended up getting her Phd in Min Proc after a BS/MS in Chem all at PSU.
I got a whiff of anhydrous ammonia once during an experiment. Did not need to go to the health center, but my sinuses were clear for months.....

I was always glad I had the foresight (how, I'm not sure) to take classes in German as well as my chem courses. It gave me some balance--and gave me the chance to go overseas as a senior at PSU. For me, my creative outlet is photography--as I'm not an artist, can't play an instrument, and haven't really been able to sing well since my voice changed.

It looks like I am the first (and maybe only) poster with a BS in Food Science ...
Ah, that explains your name. I don't much about that major other than I would guess it involves research, or quality control, or maybe the safety of foods, or developing new products. What do you do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT