ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.

At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.

Are you hitting on me? **

Mathematics. I was always good at math but once I arrived at PSU I realized that, because I'm deaf, it was the only subject where I could take my own notes. It worked out pretty damn well, another example of my dumb luck, of which I seemingly have an unlimited supply. I have lived a charmed life, sincerely.

I didn't graduate PSU. The math part of it was comparatively easy, but I just couldn't handle the other classes. (I didn't have interpreters.) BS Gallaudet, MS Tennessee, PhD Maryland.

Last edited:
PSU BS Finance
St Joe's MBA International Business

BS in Mechanical Engineering
MS in Software Engineering
Both from PSU

Why do I feel like it would have been smarter to major in Business?! I make a decent salary, but our CFP seems to have a much better standard of living.

You made a good decision not to finish law school. I wish I had your wisdom.

I tend to dissuade people from law school just because its such an over saturated market and so expensive. So if you don't finish near the top of your class, you could spend a lifetime paying for it.

That said, I'm immeasurably happier with my job now than I was the couple years I worked between Penn State and law school. So I personally wouldn't take back my decision to go, but I think kids should have a very clear idea of what their true prospects are, and whether what they want to do with their law degree is realistic.

Reactions: fairgambit
Damn near flunked out of school as a Comp Sci major. Changed at the end of my freshmen year. Graduated with a major in Operations and Information Systems Management, with a minor in Business Logistics. -PSU, Dec 2002

Starting my Executive MBA at the Univerity of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management this fall.

I have been a career Supply Chain professional and now executive.

I tend to dissuade people from law school just because its such an over saturated market and so expensive. So if you don't finish near the top of your class, you could spend a lifetime paying for it.

That said, I'm immeasurably happier with my job now than I was the couple years I worked between Penn State and law school. So I personally wouldn't take back my decision to go, but I think kids should have a very clear idea of what their true prospects are, and whether what they want to do with their law degree is realistic.
Honestly, the thing that scared me out was the debt I'd have accrued to finish. Got out of PSU owing next to nothing, and trying to fathom the debt I was getting into at 22 was mind-blowing.

Reactions: fairgambit

Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT