ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

ha....explains your hate for big business!
I love to hear the head of some Fortune 100 company bitching about government bureaucracy. Private industry sustains a lot of dead wood. A great deal, more than anyone would ever think. When a NYSE company says it is "lean and mean," imagine Chris Farley.

Reactions: green2623
Did you get that at Mont Alto? That was where you went for an Associates in WFS or Forestry when I was at PSU. I considered it.

No, it was with PSU. It was set up that in 2 years you got your associates then moved on into either wildlife or Fisheries exclusively, and in 2 years you would get your BS. Absolutely loved the program, but careers after college were very difficult to come by and the salary for people in that field are very very minimal

I did Mining Engineering with a Mineral Processing emphasis and finished in '79. I did fused abrasives and ceramic proppants for a few years and then moved into stamped metal products for the last thirty.

Never finished the MBA thing cause I liked the engineering work and didn't want to cross over to the dark side.
Graduated in '74, went to work as an engineer and went back and forth between engineering and underground production. Finished my career in safety through enforcement of regulations.

arts and letters...

Wall y Kinnan was on TV when I was growing up but not related. That
Wally was great. You should Wiki Wally:). Hell of a story. Piloted a B-17 bomber in WW2. POW. Wally was an excellent trumpeter also. In his POW camp there were, coincidentally, other fine musicians. They formed a band after scrounging up instruments from the German guards and elsewhere. The band was called The Serenaders.

They played outside to mask the noise while the tunnelers dug. Fifty escapees from the camp were caught and killed by the Germans. The camp and escape was the basis for the movie The Great Escape. In the movie a choir was used instead of a band. That's what Wiki says and I like it, so I'm stickin' to it.:)

Reactions: LionJim
I love to hear the head of some Fortune 100 company bitching about government bureaucracy. Private industry sustains a lot of dead wood. A great deal, more than anyone would ever think. When a NYSE company says it is "lean and mean," imagine Chris Farley.

I was thinking of Ox in Stripes: "a lean, mean, fighting machine"...;);)

Since people are adding their grad schools, I will add mine.

BS Biology Penn State (UP campus all 4 years) 1980

MD at Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine 1984 (school now goes by NEOMED now after adding a grad school and pharmacy school). Proud to be the first Penn Stater to graduate there. The rigorous education I received at PSU prepared me well as a lot of what was taught in my first year was a review of what I had learned and in some cases in less detail.

Finished with 1 year Transitional Year residency (rotating internship), 4 years Diagnostic Radiology residency and 1 Year Cross Sectional Imaging Fellowship (CT/MRI/Ultrasound) at NEOUCOM and William Beaumont Hospital (U of Mich affiliated hospital at the time).

Awesome field, but I would fall asleep at work... as I did during my rads rotation and lecture series LOL

I have a lot of clients that do this type of work - started in the Environmental Field out of College and now develop Insurance programs for firms doing Environmental work.
Hope part of your market sector are individuals who have specific licenses in New Jersey Mass CT and PA

If not PM me and we can discuss off line.

BS in Education (Mathematics and Computer Science)
M Ed in Vocational Education
Spent the majority of my career as Computer Analyst/Programmer and then Application Development Supervisor.

Thank God. I thought I was the only one. Of course, I did not go to law school at UCLA. It was east of the Mississippi, but I never have divulged the actual source of my legal genius.;)

I'm going to guess that you had Professor Murray for Contracts/UCC; or had he left before you enrolled?

Reactions: fairgambit
Finance with a minor in Economics

Sounds boring but believe me, I had the best 4 years of my life at PSU! Was able to get the minor by staying for the summer before my senior year. That summer was amazing!

I'm going to guess that you had Professor Murray for Contracts/UCC; or had he left before you enrolled?

Ah, nicely done. As we both know, John E. Murray, Jr. was the foremost authority on contracts in the country, and Murray on Contracts has been used in law schools nationwide. He was a giant in the Pittsburgh area, and I will admit I knew the man. Whether that came as a result of classroom contact at Villanova, Pitt, or Duquesne, or outside the classroom, I am not prepared to say. I will say John was brilliant and the Pittsburgh legal community mourned his loss in 2015. Rest in Peace.

Ah, nicely done. As we both know, John E. Murray, Jr. was the foremost authority on contracts in the country, and Murray on Contracts has been used in law schools nationwide. He was a giant in the Pittsburgh area, and I will admit I knew the man. Whether that came as a result of classroom contact at Villanova, Pitt, or Duquesne, or outside the classroom, I am not prepared to say. I will say John was brilliant and the Pittsburgh legal community mourned his loss in 2015. Rest in Peace.

Absolutely; he was better than a 5 star.

Hope part of your market sector are individuals who have specific licenses in New Jersey Mass CT and PA

If not PM me and we can discuss off line.
Yea - LSP's and the other various state designations - mostly we insure large companies like TRC etc. most you would know and may have worked with or for. People would be amazed at the state of the Environment just a stones throw from their front door in many cases. Not good and the funding for cleanups is tough sometimes.

At Penn State or elsewhere. This was likely brought up here before, but we have three couples here for a small cookout. All are college grads. Of the 4 men, 2 are political science, including me. One is history. One is education. Of the 4 women, 2 are education. One is economics (my wife), and one is French.
Chemical Engineering.

B.A. Mathematics, Arizona State Univ.

M.A. Mathematics, Penn State

PhD Mathematics, Penn State
You'd make an awful accountant though. Here's why?:

3 guys have an interview for an accounting job at a big firm.

The first guy goes in and the CFO says to him, "What's 2 + 2?" So the guy pulls out a calculator, presses a few buttons, looks up when he's finished and says, "4."

The CFO thanks him for coming in and tells him that they'll let him know down the road.

The second guy is then ushered into the CFO's office and the CFO asks him, "What's 2 + 2?" The candidate scratches his chin thoughtfully, pulls out a pad of paper and a pencil, and starts scribbling down some figures. After a moment or two he smiles and says, "I've got it! The answer is 4."

The CFO says, "Thank you very much. We'll get back to you."

The third candidate walks in, shakes the CFO's hand and takes a seat. The CFO asks the young man, "What's 2 + 2?" The aspiring accountant thinks a moment, flashes a smile, and leans over to whisper in the CFO's ear, "What do you want it to be?" whereupon the man was immediately offered the position with a lucrative signing bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT