ADVERTISEMENT

FC: What was your major in college?

Dual Major in Physics and Mechanical Engineering (PSU)
Finished half of the requisite MBA courses taking night classes at Pitt but took an assignment on a project on the former Soviet Union and never looked back.

Man, you're like the modern day Austin Powers. An international man of mystery adored by the ladies. I expected nothing less.

I was always glad I had the foresight (how, I'm not sure) to take classes in German as well as my chem courses. It gave me some balance--and gave me the chance to go overseas as a senior at PSU. For me, my creative outlet is photography--as I'm not an artist, can't play an instrument, and haven't really been able to sing well since my voice changed.
I bought my wife a quality Canon as a Christmas gift about 15 years ago, and much to my delight, she has become a really good photographer. The camera is not high tech like those of today, but it still works well and she still gets excellent results.

Reactions: Doc-M and LionJim
I can't blame you, but I'm being proactive.
I just ordered this on Amazon so I can understand him.
0471288241.jpg
I've already colored all the pictures in my copy
3PolarBearDissolves-xy360.jpg

It might be a good time to revisit Father Guido Sarducci's Five Minute University.

A friend of mine sent me a bass guitar a couple of weeks ago - I came home one night, and there was a 6 foot box on my front doorstep (I thought it might have been the mail order Russian Bride I ordered in 1993, but alas it was not). It was a Fender Squire (low cost bass I believe). (don't ask why he sent it, it's a bit of a long story)

Anyway, took my first lesson last week and going back this upcoming week. I also have been on youtube looking at bass guitar riffs for beginners, and following the tabs.

I strongly suggest doing this, CF. I have been able to pick up a few "famous" riffs for bass (Another One Bites the Dust, Seven Nation Army, etc) fairly quickly. Still have to learn the rest of the songs but working towards it.
I think you will enjoy it.

Tying this back into the theme of this thread - our majors (for the most part) are the first step towards defining who end up being as adults - and in my observations, educated professionals (especially men), tend to let their jobs and professions define who they are. From the perspective of someone who majored in the sciences/engineering, having musical outlet, or writing or painting for (attempts) at creativity are a great balance to that defined role.

You've convinced me. One of the first songs my son learned to play was Seven Nation Army. Sounds like a good song to start off with.

1. Slippery Rock - OSHA Management (no degree)
2. RACC - Computer Science (AA Degree)
3. Penn State Berks - Business Management (no degree)
4. Albright - Criminal Justice (BS Degree)
5. Villanova - Paralegal Studies (no degree)
6. Kutztown - MBA (no degree)

That's my history. I've been all over. It took me a long time before I found my calling. I've been in Corrections for 6 years now and I'm quite happy.
that's what is called a Gettysburg address education, '4 schools and 7 years ago when I embarked on my college education'

I was always glad I had the foresight (how, I'm not sure) to take classes in German as well as my chem courses. It gave me some balance--and gave me the chance to go overseas as a senior at PSU. For me, my creative outlet is photography--as I'm not an artist, can't play an instrument, and haven't really been able to sing well since my voice changed.
I love messing with the camera stuff, my wife is very good, but she could care less. I am getting better taking pics underwater, see my avatar, but I cant take a pic topside to save my life, go figure. There are some deer in my back yard, so I want to try to take a pic with the 'good' camera as opposed to my iPhone (Nikon D300). Anyway I grab the camera this AM, and walk out side. About 20' away is a 6 point buck, with 2 little ones. I go to take the shot, don't see a thing. I did take the lens cap off, but the thermodynamics thing got in the way. I went from the AC inside to a steam bath outside and of course the lens was fogged!! No wiping helped either. One day I will learn!!

Ah, that explains your name. I don't much about that major other than I would guess it involves research, or quality control, or maybe the safety of foods, or developing new products. What do you do?

I spent 7 years in product development, and since 1989 have been involved with the sales and support of specialty food ingredients (the things you can't pronounce like Xanthan Gum). For the past 20 years I have worked in the flavor industry - developing flavor beverage concepts for firms such as Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, Green Mountain Coffee etc...

PS - I stay away from the numerous coffee threads on this board...

Oh man, that made me laugh.

I guess I am still a chemistry geek after all these years.

Speaking of Chem nerds....
Me: BS PSU Biophysics; MD PSU-Hershey
Son, Daughter 2: BS PSU Finance
Daughter 1: BS UMD Chemistry; PhD PSU ChemE. She's the smart one.

A few years back on Breaking Bad, Walt, Jesse, and the guy from Friday Night Lights were having trouble getting enough "precursor" to cook their meth, so they stopped a train that had a tanker car full of methylamine, and proceeded to siphon off 1000 lbs of methylamine from the tanker car.

Me: "Hi sweetie, hey did you see Breaking Bad last night?"
Daughter 1: "Duhh...uh"
Me: "What did you think about it"
Daughter 1: "Dad, it was so unrealistic. Everyone knows methylamine is a gas at room temperature."
Me: "Not everyone."

Speaking of Chem nerds....
Me: BS PSU Biophysics; MD PSU-Hershey
Son, Daughter 2: BS PSU Finance
Daughter 1: BS UMD Chemistry; PhD PSU ChemE. She's the smart one.

A few years back on Breaking Bad, Walt, Jesse, and the guy from Friday Night Lights were having trouble getting enough "precursor" to cook their meth, so they stopped a train that had a tanker car full of methylamine, and proceeded to siphon off 1000 lbs of methylamine from the tanker car.

Me: "Hi sweetie, hey did you see Breaking Bad last night?"
Daughter 1: "Duhh...uh"
Me: "What did you think about it"
Daughter 1: "Dad, it was so unrealistic. Everyone knows methylamine is a gas at room temperature."
Me: "Not everyone."
I never watched the show but I would have agreed with your daughter. It just seems so obvious.

Cool.
What I remember most was a lab when we were processing for silver and the damn sharpest guy in the class decided to see if cyanide actually smelled like almonds. He opened the fume hood and stuck his head right in. It took about two minutes but he went down and then off to the health center.
My sister ended up getting her Phd in Min Proc after a BS/MS in Chem all at PSU.

Huh...
Your sister's initials wouldnt be PKA by any chance?

Thank you. He's just starting HS but I will keep this in mind. Things could change. He's more rooted in what he wants to do than I was at his age, for sure.

If he wants to stay in it, make sure he learns all he can about website video editing and everything in the digital world cuz that's where the industry is going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT