ADVERTISEMENT

FC: SIAP: Jim Ferry named head coach at UMBC

Yeah my guess is none. Any idea when Harrar makes a decision? Any word on Lundy yet? Is Coach Shrews actively searching portal? I am assuming so, but haven’t heard much.

Maybe JH.....he would fit at that level. None of the top guys for sure.

Yeah my guess is none. Any idea when Harrar makes a decision? Any word on Lundy yet? Is Coach Shrews actively searching portal? I am assuming so, but haven’t heard much.

But, but, but I thought they left PSU because of their loyalty to Chambers and Ferry. What is Jones doing at florida and Buttrick doing at Tosu? They should be at UMBC!

University of Maryland at Boston college. Actually, I have no frigging idea.
Thank you. I’ve been a huge college basketball fan for over 50 years now and I have no earthly idea who, or what is a(n) UMBC. I’m sure I can look it up and probably am aware of the program, but as of now have know clue.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ve been a huge college basketball fan for over 50 years now and I have no earthly idea who, or what UMBC. I’m sure I can look it up and probably am aware of the program, but as of now have know clue.
Geez, it wasn’t that long ago that UMBC became the first ever #16 seed to defeat a #1 seed in the tournament when they beat UVA

Geez, it wasn’t that long ago that UMBC became the first ever #16 seed to defeat a #1 seed in the tournament when they beat UVA
Sorry the acronym just isn’t well known. Now that I looked it up, I’m vaguely familiar with the program now that you mentioned the upset of UVA.

Penn State played them two years ago.
Well that makes them well know I guess. I moved out of the PA area after graduating in 1980 and haven’t stayed close to local college basketball as much as the bigger NCAA field and I don’t remember UMBC back in the 1970’s when I was a rabid basketball fan back there as well.

Well that makes them well know I guess. I moved out of the PA area after graduating in 1980 and haven’t stayed close to local college basketball as much as the bigger NCAA field and I don’t remember UMBC back in the 1970’s when I was a rabid basketball fan back there as well.
I didn't say they were well known. I was at the game. That's the only way i remembered the name.

UMBC is twenty minutes from me and is actually a pretty good school. Its president, Freeman Hrabowski, is someone I admire very much.
Hrabowski, who has been UMBC president since 1992, is one of the most respected university presidents in higher education. University Maryland Baltimore County has 13,000 students, 52 percent of which are ethnic minorities.

"UMBC is the nation’s #1 producer of African American undergraduates who go on to complete an M.D./Ph.D. and #2 nationally for African American undergraduates who complete a science or engineering Ph.D."

Hrabowski, who has been UMBC president since 1992, is one of the most respected university presidents in higher education. University Maryland Baltimore County has 13,000 students, 52 percent of which are ethnic minorities.

"UMBC is the nation’s #1 producer of African American undergraduates who go on to complete an M.D./Ph.D. and #2 nationally for African American undergraduates who complete a science or engineering Ph.D."
Wow, great stats. Think others would study how they do it and then repeat it all across the country.

When I first moved here to md I was told by a student at umbc that it stood for University Maryland Bejing Campus ... lots of Asian students that I taught preferred umbc over umd

No idea on this and not a PSU alum, but sounds like a good replacement for Barron.

OL

UMBC is twenty minutes from me and is actually a pretty good school. Its president, Freeman Hrabowski, is someone I admire very much.

A university president named Freeman. 🤔 Not at Penn State.

Thank you. I’ve been a huge college basketball fan for over 50 years now and I have no earthly idea who, or what is a(n) UMBC. I’m sure I can look it up and probably am aware of the program, but as of now have know clue.
They were the 16 seed that beat top seed UVA a couple years ago in the tournament. As a basketball fan for 50 years, I'm a little surprised that you are not aware of them. They have the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA tournament

I thought Coach Ferry deserved a better job than such a small school. Yeah, I saw they made the dance many moons ago but what have they done in the last ten or twenty? He did a good job under terrible circumstances. Wish he got a better opportunity.

Perhaps he was attracted to the school for it’s great academic achievements. Certainly wish him well and thank him for a job well done.

I thought Coach Ferry deserved a better job than such a small school. Yeah, I saw they made the dance many moons ago but what have they done in the last ten or twenty? He did a good job under terrible circumstances. Wish he got a better opportunity.

Perhaps he was attracted to the school for it’s great academic achievements. Certainly wish him well and thank him for a job well done.
They upset a #1 seed just 3 or 4 years ago (the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA tournament, when it comes to seeding)

They upset a #1 seed just 3 or 4 years ago (the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA tournament, when it comes to seeding)

Summary of this back and forth:

: heard of them a long time ago, but what have they done since?
- The biggest upset ever, 3 years ago
: Yeah, well, never heard of them. Seems like maybe they had a nice team 20 years ago. Ferry should have gotten a way better job

I also gotta say. Spin, "many moons ago" they weren't a D1 school. Since going D1, they were a 15-seed in 2008 and a 16 (that beat top-seed UVA) in 2018. So, I'm not entirely sure what school your post was about. Maybe you were thinking of UMKC (U of Missouri, Kansas City)??

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I also gotta say. Spin, "many moons ago" they weren't a D1 school. Since going D1, they were a 15-seed in 2008 and a 16 (that beat top-seed UVA) in 2018. So, I'm not entirely sure what school your post was about. Maybe you were thinking of UMKC (U of Missouri, Kansas City)??
Maybe he was thinking of UMES.

Never heard of UMBC?!? LOL! Define "huge" basketball fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT