ADVERTISEMENT

A Coach that Can't Learn

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
James Franklin talks about PSU becoming an Elite Team. That will never happen until James becomes an elite in game decision maker which obviously, at this point, we know will never happen.

He could be a great CEO type head coach if he would hire great assistants and let go of the reins during game time but his ego will not allow that to happen.

Does he not know how demoralizing his off the wall 4th down go for it play calls are to his players? He talks about how devastating turn overs and penalties are to winning. Why the hell does he not get that these dumb ass 4th down go for it calls at the wrong place and time are worse. The players are not stupid and have to wonder, if not wonder out loud on occasion, 'What the hell is coach thinking?'

James Franklin talks about PSU becoming an Elite Team. That will never happen until James becomes an elite in game decision maker which obviously, at this point, we know will never happen.

He could be a great CEO type head coach if he would hire great assistants and let go of the reins during game time but his ego will not allow that to happen.

Does he not know how demoralizing his off the wall 4th down go for it play calls are to his players? He talks about how devastating turn overs and penalties are to winning. Why the hell does he not get that these dumb ass 4th down go for it calls at the wrong place and time are worse. The players are not stupid and have to wonder, if not wonder out loud on occasion, 'What the hell is coach thinking?'
don't even need to go that far...2 point conversion decisions make you really wonder what he's possibly thinking. If he got the first conversion it's 17-10 and we still have a chance...when its' 24 - 16 you still have a chance. At 24-15 you're dead.

don't even need to go that far...2 point conversion decisions make you really wonder what he's possibly thinking. If he got the first conversion it's 17-10 and we still have a chance...when its' 24 - 16 you still have a chance. At 24-15 you're dead.
Watching the 4th quarter, I said to a friend...if they lose, I hope it's 17-15. But in the end because of the RETARDED call to go for two in the 1st half he needed two scores not one.

These are some of the play calls that just don’t make sense to me:

- 2 pt conversion at 14-9
- 2 pt conversion at 24-15
- the play call on the 2nd of the 2-pt conversions
- backwards pass on 2nd and 1 after Allen’s 9 yd run on 1st down
- handoff on 1st and 5 after 5-yd defensive penalty on Michigan
- Not calling timeout before the illegal substitution penalty when a player on the sideline couldn’t decide whether or not to go in
- going for on 4th and long at your own 30 with two timeouts and 4.5 mins in a one-score game
- not starting Allen

I’m sure there were others. But this was a winnable game made unwinnable by the head-scratching coaching calls.

These are some of the play calls that just don’t make sense to me:

- 2 pt conversion at 14-9
- 2 pt conversion at 24-15
- the play call on the 2nd of the 2-pt conversions
- backwards pass on 2nd and 1 after Allen’s 9 yd run on 1st down
- handoff on 1st and 5 after 5-yd defensive penalty on Michigan
- Not calling timeout before the illegal substitution penalty when a player on the sideline couldn’t decide whether or not to go in
- going for on 4th and long at your own 30 with two timeouts and 4.5 mins in a one-score game
- not starting Allen

I’m sure there were others. But this was a winnable game made unwinnable by the head-scratching coaching calls.
It was not winnable. We are a few offensive playmakers short of a team that could win against that team or the other we lost to. When that’s the case every option but the ones chosen during the game seem to blame for the loss

He would also need to become a good recruiter. He is not. He recruits certain positions at an elite level, others very well, yet, we have multiple positions with talent equivalent (receiver) or lower (D-Tackle, O-Guard) than the dark years. Unless he can recruit at an elite level, he will never win playing the type of game he wants to play.

Reactions: Gitzit and aworsnup
It was not winnable. We are a few offensive playmakers short of a team that could win against that team or the other we lost to. When that’s the case every option but the ones chosen during the game seem to blame for the loss
Name this game:

- we were outgained 445 yards to 162
- our opponent had 22 first downs to our eight
- our QB went 5-16 for 53 yards and an INT
- We scored just 14 points
- We beat the #1 team in the nation and their Heisman trophy winning QB and won the national championship

I'm just going to leave this here because I happen to know the truth: The first two point conversion attempt in the first half was NOT his decision.

Name this game:

- We beat the #1 team in the nation and their Heisman trophy winning QB and won the national championship
We scored two touchdowns.

This year we scored only one touchdown in meaningful play time in both losses.

Two touchdowns in Columbus gives us a 14-13 lead late in the game. Two touchdowns in State College vs. Michigan puts us in a 17-17 tie late in the game.

The key was that we scored two touchdowns in that game. We also missed two field goals in that game in Tempe.

That offense was lead by a quarterback who didn't freak out from the moment and was able to execute when it mattered. That offense had a better offensive line, better receivers, and better running backs and yes that's what I said. Tim Manoa, Steve Smith, DJ Dozier, and Blair Thomas.

Reactions: aworsnup
We scored two touchdowns.

This year we scored only one touchdown in meaningful play time in both losses.

Two touchdowns in Columbus gives us a 14-13 lead late in the game. Two touchdowns in State College vs. Michigan puts us in a 17-17 tie late in the game.

The key was that we scored two touchdowns in that game. We also missed two field goals in that game in Tempe.

That offense was lead by a quarterback who didn't freak out from the moment and was able to execute when it mattered. That offense had a better offensive line, better receivers, and better running backs and yes that's what I said. Tim Manoa, Steve Smith, DJ Dozier, and Blair Thomas.
IMO, Franklin gave up too soon in both losses this year. Not saying we’d win either, but we were in one TD games in both games with plenty of time and timeouts in each when he got impatient and went for 4th downs deep in our own territory. Best chance was D causing a turnover or a special teams score. Whatever might have happened, he didn’t let it occur.

IMO, Franklin gave up too soon in both losses this year. Not saying we’d win either, but we were in one TD games in both games with plenty of time and timeouts in each when he got impatient and went for 4th downs deep in our own territory. Best chance was D causing a turnover or a special teams score. Whatever might have happened, he didn’t let it occur.
He actually gave up both games in the FIRST half by handing the plays to Yurcich.

I was the first one to jump off the bridge and I even posted a Franklin must go thread, until 2 of my old friends who are VERY CLOSE to the program informed me of exactly how much Yurcich actually costed this team in both games. They don't make things up, they know and have zero reason to lie.

He actually gave up both games in the FIRST half by handing the plays to Yurcich.

I was the first one to jump off the bridge and I even posted a Franklin must go thread, until 2 of my old friends who are VERY CLOSE to the program informed me of exactly how much Yurcich actually costed this team in both games. They don't make things up, they know and have zero reason to lie.
Interesting.

I’m a Franklin fan, FWIW. I think he’s done a lot of good for the program. Just pointing out where he’s made mistakes. I don’t want him to go. Not at all.

Reactions: dswartz and 81b&w
Name this game:

Don't want to take anything away from the strategy and effort that went into that game, but the Miami HC let his ego get in the way. They should have won easily. But .... a win would not be enough for Jimmy Johnson. The score mattered more than the outcome of the game. He wanted to impart a crushing defeat of Joe Paterno.

All Johnson had to do was pound the ball downfield and protect it. Instead he went for the home run time after time and struck out.

The talent difference between those two teams was enormous. That was some seriously good coaching on the Penn State side of the field. It was the only way we could win.

I don't think there has ever been a game played that was decided so much by coaching strategy -- boneheaded play calls by the Miami offense, and wonderfully strategic play in the Penn State defensive backfield. That game was the epitome of a coaching chess match. It was "the night college football went to hell."

Don't want to take anything away from the strategy and effort that went into that game, but the Miami HC let his ego get in the way. They should have won easily. But .... a win would not be enough for Jimmy Johnson. The score mattered more than the outcome of the game. He wanted to impart a crushing defeat of Joe Paterno.

All Johnson had to do was pound the ball downfield and protect it. Instead he went for the home run time after time and struck out.

The talent difference between those two teams was enormous. That was some seriously good coaching on the Penn State side of the field. It was the only way we could win.

I don't think there has ever been a game played that was decided so much by coaching strategy -- boneheaded play calls by the Miami offense, and wonderfully strategic play in the Penn State defensive backfield. That game was the epitome of a coaching chess match. It was "the night college football went to hell."
And 7 turnovers

Reactions: jbenedict

If jimmy runs three times inside the PSU ten we stuff him. See: 1986, Notre Dame, Maryland.

Remember this is the same staff that went for it on 4th and 4 vs OSU with 7:30 remaining because they thought they might not get the ball back (I think OSU drives averaged about a minute an a half to that point).

Seriously, I don't think they're that stupid. I just think they can't handle the pressure in big games and make panic decisions.

This doesn’t actually make it better for Franklin. It’s worse. He’s the HC. Those are his decisions. If he doesn’t like them he has plenty of time to say no.

This doesn’t actually make it better for Franklin. It’s worse. He’s the HC. Those are his decisions. If he doesn’t like them he has plenty of time to say no.
This, what’s he listening to on his headphones during the game, Spanish made easy? As the head coach he can override anything he wants. If he’s hesitant or afraid to override bad plays Franklins belongings should be on next moving van out of town.

Someone other than the head coach makes a 2pt conversion vs XPT decision?
Pat check the replay...CJF is signaling "1", then 5 seconds later he's switching to "2". Again I am the FARTHEST from a Franklin apologist and I started the Franklin must go thread.

• Wow
Reactions: mcpat
Franklin did not call the first two point conversion. He did, however call the second one, but not the actual play call: that was MY calling a stupid trick play.

Hey it means nothing because we lost both games but I sure would have loved to see how our head coach would have done without an incompetent fraud calling plays.

I'm just going to leave this here because I happen to know the truth: The first two point conversion attempt in the first half was NOT his decision.
He (Franklin) was certainly calling for two on the sidelines.

Damn then I’m going to have to understand that when he holds up two fingers he means kick the extra point.
That was part of the adjustment to playing Michigan after the sign stealing scandal.

Neal Armstrong didn't Land on the moon either. That whole "television replay" thing isn't real.

Lol. I was making a joke.
And it was funny but it's hard to laugh when you talk to 4 friends who are insiders, post the information which IS VERIFIED and the same six idiots climb up and try to hijack a thread that is ALL OVER every single pay site board and a topic of conversation with damn near everyone in the know on this program.

He held up one finger. He changed it after the box phoned down.
Allar is running off the field and Franklin is holding up his pointer and pinky on both hands with arms above his head and I don’t think he was saying “you rock”. Whether the box called down or not doesn’t matter. He made the call to go. If he didn’t agree he had a timeout left to get it right. He is vey enthusiastically signaling for two points!

He did raise one finger like he does after every TD, but he changed to two and wasn’t showing any lack of conviction.

Allar is running off the field and Franklin is holding up his pointer and pinky on both hands with arms above his head and I don’t think he was saying “you rock”. Whether the box called down or not doesn’t matter. He made the call to go. If he didn’t agree he had a timeout left to get it right. He is vey enthusiastically signaling for two points!
Not immediately after the play. Watch it again.

See my edit - the call is his! He is the HC!!!!!
We're both right. Yes the final call is his but Yurcich phoned him with a play he thought would work.

Again I am the farthest thing from a Franklin apologist, but I am calling this because this is what happened actually.

We're both right. Yes the final call is his but Yurcich phoned him with a play he thought would work.

Again I am the farthest thing from a Franklin apologist, but I am calling this because this is what happened actually.
The title of the thread was a coach that doesn’t learn.

And it was funny but it's hard to laugh when you talk to 4 friends who are insiders, post the information which IS VERIFIED and the same six idiots climb up and try to hijack a thread that is ALL OVER every single pay site board and a topic of conversation with damn near everyone in the know on this program.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil's Rug
clout-clout-chasing.gif

• Haha
Reactions: knickslions
Franklin learned about Yurcich and did something about it. That's the first step.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT