ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Rumor about UVA o Big Ten?

Ok, genius, then why did the Big Ten add Rutgers?

Didn't the addition of Rutgers coincide with the BTN getting onto more tiers with CableVision? It's hard to imagine how that didn't work to the B1G's advantage.

Also, I don't really see what's wrong with having Rutgers in the league.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It would be funny if A&M and Missouri responded by going back to the BXII, just to get away from Texas.
Though it won’t happen. Even funnier if that happened, OU stayed and they snagged a few teams the PAC 12 has ignored.

Didn't the addition of Rutgers coincide with the BTN getting onto more tiers with CableVision? It's hard to imagine how that didn't work to the B1G's advantage.

Also, I don't really see what's wrong with having Rutgers in the league.

It helps. How much revenue does it bring in?

No, it was for the TV market.
You keep saying that. Do you mean that the Big Ten was never on TV in the NYC market before Rutgers became a member? Funny how my mind must have been playing tricks on me for all of those years.

You keep saying that. Do you mean that the Big Ten was never on TV in the NYC market before Rutgers became a member? Funny how my mind must have been playing tricks on me for all of those years.
There had to be a reason why Rutgers and Md were added. It’s not just so Delaney can have offices in NYC and DC. This really isn’t a difficult concept and I fully concede in your superior intelligence. Either you are being obtuse or just your usual contrarian self.

There had to be a reason why Rutgers and Md were added. It’s not just so Delaney can have offices in NYC and DC. This really isn’t a difficult concept and I fully concede in your superior intelligence. Either you are being obtuse or just your usual contrarian self.

Yes, there was a reason. Is the reason earning the Big Ten $55mm p.a. which is what it pays Rutgers for the privileged of deigning to join?

Few things to consider for many here:

1) As the two main superconferences grow, basketball will gain full anonymity from the NCAA which will greatly improve the value of the sport for these conferences. Making KU, DUKE, UNC, UCLA etc a very viable add.

2) As streaming has been gaining at the expense of cable subscriptions, the value of draw supercedes complacent households. Again making programs with visual appeal more attractive. Nebraska last year made just $5m less than Penn state as they draw eyeballs, even while they are down (yes, everyone has downcycles). I noticed a lot of uppity towards Nebraska. Which is fine, Nebraska will be fine.

3) 16x4 is a visionary, out of this world model from the 1970s and 1980s. The way business has evolved, and the way consolidation works, along with how their are just two great tv contracts - the NFL model is afoot. Chucks of programs will be added. Parts of the Pac and ACC will be added to the BIg, while other parts will be added to the SEC. Though the number of programs will be more like 24 to 32 per superconference or something around that.

4) Distance is instantly solved by having conference ecosystems within each superconference. And even if you have to fly an extra hour, so what? 1st world problems..

I like to call the two leagues "Hearts and Smarts", the other as "Hearty Farts"

Thoughts?

Few things to consider for many here:

1) As the two main superconferences grow, basketball will gain full anonymity from the NCAA which will greatly improve the value of the sport for these conferences. Making KU, DUKE, UNC, UCLA etc a very viable add.

2) As streaming has been gaining at the expense of cable subscriptions, the value of draw supercedes complacent households. Again making programs with visual appeal more attractive. Nebraska last year made just $5m less than Penn state as they draw eyeballs, even while they are down (yes, everyone has downcycles). I noticed a lot of uppity towards Nebraska. Which is fine, Nebraska will be fine.

3) 16x4 is a visionary, out of this world model from the 1970s and 1980s. The way business has evolved, and the way consolidation works, along with how their are just two great tv contracts - the NFL model is afoot. Chucks of programs will be added. Parts of the Pac and ACC will be added to the BIg, while other parts will be added to the SEC. Though the number of programs will be more like 24 to 32 per superconference or something around that.

4) Distance is instantly solved by having conference ecosystems within each superconference. And even if you have to fly an extra hour, so what? 1st world problems..

I like to call the two leagues "Hearts and Smarts", the other as "Hearty Farts"

Thoughts?

Re you point 1:" .....basketball will gain full anonymity from the NCAA which will greatly improve the value of the sport for these conferences." Believe you meant "autonomy", but no matter. How does the separation of basketball from the NCAA create greater value for the conferences?

Re you point 1:" .....basketball will gain full anonymity from the NCAA which will greatly improve the value of the sport for these conferences." Believe you meant "autonomy", but no matter. How does the separation of basketball from the NCAA create greater value for the conferences?

Spell check after a fat finger. Thank you for pointing out my spelling-to-grammar translation fallacy.

A good percentage of the tourney (sales and media) money is locked up and funds the NCAA. There is approximately $1b locked up

TX (and ND) would always be the first schools any conference would want on their list. But from a sports mentality perspective, I don't think they want the big. I would not take OK over UVA, unless I had a compelling need to throw a bone to NE.
I think OU does pay kinda for itself, especially in the bigwest, as the OU-Neb game would annually be a big draw, as would OU games against tO$U, UM, Wisky, PSU. These would all be tier1 games for ESPN and Fox to battle over on their shared big TV deals. The big would need to goto pods to ensure that these matchups occur as often as possible. OU is a blue blood and as such would be a good national draw, despite not bringing that many local eyeballs.

Spell check after a fat finger. Thank you for pointing out my spelling-to-grammar translation fallacy.

A good percentage of the tourney (sales and media) money is locked up and funds the NCAA. There is approximately $1b locked up

Not quite seeing it. The last report I have is two years old and it shows the NCAA with net assets of about $450mm.

Regardless of the number, if the NCAA dissolves, I see the following issues:

a. you've got hundreds of FCS, D2, and D3 members. They have calls on any distribution and I'm not sure how it would be worked out, or even be amicable because;

b. these FCS, D2, and D3 schools see the organization that runs and pays for its championships disappear or its primary source of revenue vanish;

c. if we're talking about a basketball tournament that resembles March Madness, how do you factor in those D1 basketball schools that are not Power 5 (either FCS or non-football) in football?

d. what do you suggest as the mechanism for running March Madness? On the surface, the CFC seems more efficient, but I haven't seen any numbers. But it's made up of bureaucrats and you know what happens to bureaucracies.

Unmmm, when did UT dominate the Big12? They won three championships in 25 years. Heck, Baylor and K-State both had two each.
Their lack of onfield football accomplishments UT liked to call the shots and bully/threaten to walk to get what they wanted - i.e. not sharing LHN $, bullied/lobbied Boalsby for more TV $$ for them and OU, etc.

Their lack of onfield football accomplishments UT liked to call the shots and bully/threaten to walk to get what they wanted - i.e. not sharing LHN $, bullied/lobbied Boalsby for more TV $$ for them and OU, etc.

It would be a boss move if OU is baiting UT into joining the SEC, only to stay in the Big XII without them.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
I don't like UV or VT , i'd rather Miami and FSU. We're talking football not libraries, and ivy walls.

Bullying Bob Bowlsby is an inalienable right. His face says "kick me."

Reactions: pioneerlion83
Rutgers and Maryland both paid for themselves due to the massive increase in BTN subscribers (BTN gained like 10-15 million in-footprint subscribers (i.e. paying 0.60 cents instead of 0.10 cents) from the deal.

It's not just Rutgers/Maryland that did that, it's the enormous amounts of Big Ten alumni in those regions as well that watch the Big Ten.

Those 2 markets (NYC/DC) have the largest numbers of Big Ten alumni outside of Chicago; that's something worth considering.

But they were considered outside footprint until Maryland/Rutgers joined.

Outside footprint subs are worth like 0.10 per month, in footprint like 0.50-0.70 per month.

Regardless, Maryland and Rutgers are both giant universities with good academics and location (in growth areas for both recruiting athletes and students and where Big Ten alumni settle).

Everything made sense about those two. The next additions will have a mix of schools like that. Inviting UVa/UNC make sense along those lines.

Rutgers and Maryland both paid for themselves due to the massive increase in BTN subscribers (BTN gained like 10-15 million in-footprint subscribers (i.e. paying 0.60 cents instead of 0.10 cents) from the deal.

It's not just Rutgers/Maryland that did that, it's the enormous amounts of Big Ten alumni in those regions as well that watch the Big Ten.

Those 2 markets (NYC/DC) have the largest numbers of Big Ten alumni outside of Chicago; that's something worth considering.

But they were considered outside footprint until Maryland/Rutgers joined.

Outside footprint subs are worth like 0.10 per month, in footprint like 0.50-0.70 per month.

Regardless, Maryland and Rutgers are both giant universities with good academics and location (in growth areas for both recruiting athletes and students and where Big Ten alumni settle).

Everything made sense about those two. The next additions will have a mix of schools like that. Inviting UVa/UNC make sense along those lines.

Sorry, zeek, none of the big cable operators pay $0.60. Maybe half that. And you're high on the number of cable subscribers as well. The total number of TV households in the NYC, DC, and Baltimore is about 10mm. Of that, maybe 60% are cable subscribers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT