ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Rumor about UVA o Big Ten?

You know that Dabo is going to leave for Bama in a couple of years and eventually, Clemson is going to go back to, well, Clemsoning.
I initially thought he would return to his alma mater but don't see him leaving Clemson to go back to Alabama now. He's built a powerhouse and has less pressure at Clemson than he would at Alabama.

I agree with the above- however way back when there was a lot more talk about how PSU would benefit by joining the Big Ten for academic/research reasons- further elevating our rep beyond just sports. The Big is still primarily large state schools- with Northwestern the oddball (Vandy of the SEC/ Wake of the ACC). Va Tech better fits the student size mold than either UVA or UNC- which would both be the 2nd smallest # of undergrads. We were shocked when looking at Chapel Hill for our daughter when we realized on our tour that the school was the same size as the University of Delaware, Not that any of this matters anymore- it's all about eyeballs and revenue
Mostly. But never forget that the people who call the shots are not, in fact, ADs. They are the onion dippers. So perception, not reality, is king.

Mostly. But never forget that the people who call the shots are not, in fact, ADs. They are the onion dippers. So perception, not reality, is king.
Exactly. Doing a quick search it appears Mr. Barron's contract was signed in 2018 for $864,264 per year with a $200,000 annual retention bonus and other incentives.....or about the same as the NIL of the QB from Bama who has never played a down. Dystopia.

Reactions: step.eng69
I would love to have UVA and VA Tech as a package just to solidify the eastern footprint of the conference. Sadly I think that is fantasy in the near term.
Maybe a fantasy in the near-near term, but in the mid-term that's a good chance.

ACC is locked into a contract that will eventually pay $25-30 million less per year than the Big Ten's TV deal by 2030-2036.

Only issue is the schools all granted their TV rights to the conference through 2036, and we're not paying that kind of 15 year buyout.

But when we get closer to 2030? Yes, I'd expect these conversation to happen, the financial differences will be gigantic.

Reactions: Katatonic
I would have preferred Mizzou over Nebraska back when the Huskers were brought in. Not moreso than Texas, or even ND, but given those choices were unlikely to happen at that time, Mizzou would have been a good get from an overall athletic standpoint, I think.

Missouri places the same amount of emphasis, on academics, as LSU or WVU.

Zero - Zip - Nada!

Zero - Zip - Nada!
But still more than Nebraska? ;)
Not doubting you, as I don't know, but my thought was from a purely total athletic pov, and just my personal preference with no facts or figures behind it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Why doesn't the B1G try and get Oklahoma and Texas. I would take them over UVA anyday.

Go B1G or go home. I say go straight to 20 by getting Colorado, Utah, UVA, UNC, Clemson and GaTech. I think only Clemson isn’t an AAU member.
I think the 4x16 or 64 school approach is too small, too. They could reasonably go to 4x18 (76) or 4x20 (80) conferences, by including the AAC - or most of it - and cherry-picking from others, such as App State and San Diego State, among others.
That said, why not just tweak the current 5x or 6x model to fold in others to get to 76 or 80? There are gonna be a bunch of schools left out in the cold one way or another.

Yes. I keep trolling its website in search of discussions on how it has facilitated collaboration and enhanced research at its member institutions. I'll let you know when I find something.

But they are really good at expanding the opportunities for colloquia.
Interesting. I guess I fell for the PR talk. LOL

Maybe a fantasy in the near-near term, but in the mid-term that's a good chance.

ACC is locked into a contract that will eventually pay $25-30 million less per year than the Big Ten's TV deal by 2030-2036.

Only issue is the schools all granted their TV rights to the conference through 2036, and we're not paying that kind of 15 year buyout.

But when we get closer to 2030? Yes, I'd expect these conversation to happen, the financial differences will be gigantic.

How do the numbers work without cable? I'd imagine by 2030 cable boxes and sports packages are not nearly as popular as streaming services.

How do the numbers work without cable? I'd imagine by 2030 cable boxes and sports packages are not nearly as popular as streaming services.
Ironically the numbers may be even more in favor for the Big Ten by then if you account for cable cutting.

ACC network will likely face steeper subscriber losses and lack of ad revenue compared to Big Ten network.

Why doesn't the B1G try and get Oklahoma and Texas. I would take them over UVA anyday.
TX (and ND) would always be the first schools any conference would want on their list. But from a sports mentality perspective, I don't think they want the big. I would not take OK over UVA, unless I had a compelling need to throw a bone to NE.

The Big Ten Academic Alliance does have some value, though largely in the area of combined purchasing power. The other advantages are in sharing library resources and allowing students to cross-register at other member schools for classes and programs abroad. It's nice money,, but an athletic conference isn't necessary to achieve the savings. Quite a few schools in the Boston area have a similar library arrangement.

I think the 4x16 or 64 school approach is too small, too. They could reasonably go to 4x18 (76) or 4x20 (80) conferences, by including the AAC - or most of it - and cherry-picking from others, such as App State and San Diego State, among others.
That said, why not just tweak the current 5x or 6x model to fold in others to get to 76 or 80? There are gonna be a bunch of schools left out in the cold one way or another.
The problem with this line of thinking is there is zero central authority or office in CFB. Each conference acts on its own interest.

The SEC Is exponentially growing more powerful with this move. The Big Ten will only act in a way that allows them to academically, athletically, TV markets grow and keep up with the SEC.

They aren't going to act in a way that says "Ok, we'll go to 16 so then you go to 18 and then we'll go to 18...and then..." The SEC will be the elite football conference. The Big Ten will stay poised to stay #2. There will never be a 16x4, NFLesque breakdown in college sports.

The problem with this line of thinking is there is zero central authority or office in CFB. Each conference acts on its own interest.

The SEC Is exponentially growing more powerful with this move. The Big Ten will only act in a way that allows them to academically, athletically, TV markets grow and keep up with the SEC.

They aren't going to act in a way that says "Ok, we'll go to 16 so then you go to 18 and then we'll go to 18...and then..." The SEC will be the elite football conference. The Big Ten will stay poised to stay #2. There will never be a 16x4, NFLesque breakdown in college sports.
Interesting points. Thanks for the response.

Perhaps the new power conferences will form some sort of association, even loosely, that will keep things relatively uniform wrt rules and regs for the common good, but with far more common sense and current thinking than the ncaa was capable of. The long-term good of the sport will not be served by just one conference running away from the rest, and only about half of those teams at that. We already are getting a taste of that potential with the SEC, and the response is to expand the playoffs to ensure including all current P5 conferences. I have to believe that the B1G would gladly jump into the premier conference designation if that door opens. They can't let the SEC simply run away for much longer. Smart, forward-thinking oversight could help that.

Nope - at one
I want to say that Missou wanted to come to the B1G last time around, so I doubt they would be happy with Texas coming to the SEC. Personally, I don’t think the Texas/OU to SEC will happen. Texas wants to be a big fish, so this may just be a power play. I still think their best move would be to go to the PAC 12, because it is struggling and Texas could take advantage of that.

nope - at one time Mizzou was interested but not at the time they went to the SEC. would they have considered Big10 if no SEC bid, possibly but at the time they were also talking about strengthening the Big12.

I would have preferred Mizzou over Nebraska back when the Huskers were brought in. Not moreso than Texas, or even ND, but given those choices were unlikely to happen at that time, Mizzou would have been a good get from an overall athletic standpoint, I think.

as would I if I’d had my choice.

Well, so did Oklahoma......until Warren (with help from certain College Presidents and politicians) screwed up his management of the Covid situation. The majority of the powers that be at Oklahoma were leaning Big Ten because of the potential academic collaborations. Texas wasn't able to reel them in to join the SEC until Warren made them realize what a fuster cluck we had become after Delany retired.

Certain posters here like to put down our academic assets. Take a browse at our cancer research consortium. Pretty impressive.

Saw on the ESPN ticker that A&M’s BOR is meeting in next few days. Interesting that it was a lead note.

Yep. They could be a fly in the ointment, and they are actually looking at ways to stop this thing, but in the end, they ain't going anywhere, and would have to get at least two more votes to block it.

Well, so did Oklahoma......until Warren (with help from certain College Presidents and politicians) screwed up his management of the Covid situation. The majority of the powers that be at Oklahoma were leaning Big Ten because of the potential academic collaborations. Texas wasn't able to reel them in to join the SEC until Warren made them realize what a fuster cluck we had become after Delany retired.

Certain posters here like to put down our academic assets. Take a browse at our cancer research consortium. Pretty impressive.

The problem was always Texas. Oklahoma may have been open to the Big Ten but they want to also be with Texas.

Oklahoma has seen how hard it is for Nebraska to recruit Texas (Nebraska's # of Texans on the roster collapsed) without being in the same conference as Texas based schools.

Texas never wanted to be in a conference with equal sharing before now. They wanted to get more. They wanted to bring their LHN to the Big Ten which would never fly, and the same applies to the Pac-12.

The failure of the LHN to produce any profit (it's been a big money loser for ESPN) is why Texas now more open to giving it up.

And at this time their current leadership is much more inclined to want the SEC; they have a bunch of pro-SEC guys running the operation down there.

The problem was always Texas. Oklahoma may have been open to the Big Ten but they want to also be with Texas.

Oklahoma has seen how hard it is for Nebraska to recruit Texas (Nebraska's # of Texans on the roster collapsed) without being in the same conference as Texas based schools.

Texas never wanted to be in a conference with equal sharing before now. They wanted to get more. They wanted to bring their LHN to the Big Ten which would never fly, and the same applies to the Pac-12.

The failure of the LHN to produce any profit (it's been a big money loser for ESPN) is why Texas now more open to giving it up.

And at this time their current leadership is much more inclined to want the SEC; they have a bunch of pro-SEC guys running the operation down there.

Oklahoma was holding out for a B1G invite. Sure they wanted to come with Texas, but if the B1G invited them and Kansas, they were ours for the taking. Their brass was really enamored with our academic consortiums, and thought the SEC was trash. COVID changed all that.

Texas actually initated contact with Oklahoma after they knew Oklahoma was pi$$ed at the B1G and FOX for how they handled the COVID fiasco, and that ESPN would back the exit. As you say, Texas is exponentially more profitable to ESPN as a member of the SEC than they are as a member of the Big 12 with ESPN's funded LHN.

If they announce now that they are leaving in 2025, the GOR shouldn't be an issue. However, everyone involved on the Texas/Oklahoma/ESPN side is hoping that the other 8 rats will get scared and run to the hills to all secure their spots elsewhere, and the Conference will dissolve on its own. Then, both schools could start SEC play as early as 2023.

That has already started with Kansas and Iowa State initiating contact with the B1G (per Kansas sources), and the rest of the rats, minus West Virginia, contacting the PAC. We have already told Iowa State that no invitation will be extended at this time, but we are talking to Kansas.

Oklahoma was holding out for a B1G invite. Sure they wanted to come with Texas, but if the B1G invited them and Kansas, they were ours for the taking. Their brass was really enamored with our academic consortiums, and thought the SEC was trash. COVID changed all that.

Texas actually initated contact with Oklahoma after they knew Oklahoma was pi$$ed at the B1G and FOX for how they handled the COVID fiasco, and that ESPN would back the exit. As you say, Texas is exponentially more profitable to ESPN as a member of the SEC than they are as a member of the Big 12 with ESPN's funded LHN.

If they announce now that they are leaving in 2025, the GOR shouldn't be an issue. However, everyone involved on the Texas/Oklahoma/ESPN side is hoping that the other 8 rats will get scared and run to the hills to all secure their spots elsewhere, and the Conference will dissolve on its own. Then, both schools could start SEC play as early as 2023.

That has already started with Kansas and Iowa State initiating contact with the B1G (per Kansas sources), and the rest of the rats, minus West Virginia, contacting the PAC. We have already told Iowa State that no invitation will be extended at this time, but we are talking to Kansas.
Kansas would be a mistake IMO. Football runs the show and brings in the money (and we all know this realignment is all about $$$). Kansas’ basketball team is on the verge of sanctions after the FBI probe- should the ncaa decide to ever do its job. More importantly, Kansas football is a nuclear wasteland.

The problem with the Big Ten is while the SEC goes after Texas and Oklahoma, they’re looking at Kansas and Virginia types who bring nothing to the table for the main sport driving the issue.

Last edited:
I was starting to think about things from a different angle, but frankly don’t care enough to get to a conclusion. If PSU were to join the ACC the number of conference FB games of national interest would double. What would that look like for the SEC under the UT/OU scenario? How would that affect the monetization?

I initially thought he would return to his alma mater but don't see him leaving Clemson to go back to Alabama now. He's built a powerhouse and has less pressure at Clemson than he would at Alabama.
Don't see him leaving either, if he doesn't win a title there every other yr he would be considered a failure compared to Uncle Nick. Dabo has built his own legacy..

Zero - Zip - Nada!
No one watches any Football or Basketball gms for that matter concerned with the academic prowess of the school, if that were the case everyone would be fans of the Ivy league..

• Wow
Reactions: TheGLOV
I was starting to think about things from a different angle, but frankly don’t care enough to get to a conclusion. If PSU were to join the ACC the number of conference FB games of national interest would double. What would that look like for the SEC under the UT/OU scenario? How would that affect the monetization?
I hear you, imagine playing Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami, UNC, WVU(If they get them), Pitt, etc.. much more exciting to me, but a pipe dream I'm sure, but we can all dream currently with the craziness going on..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT